Microsoft shareholders grill CEO about Apple, iPhone

Comments

• Reply 21 of 78
    And so they should get a grilling. The lunatics are running the asylum.
  • Reply 22 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Rounding error, rounding error, rounding error!!!

Photos of Ballmer always make me think of the idiot football coach in a mid-80s John Hughes-style film. And, realistically, he's better suited to running a football team than running a software company.
  • Reply 23 of 78
    .. ... ...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

yeah but you have several things happening here. No longer is apple tve so called creative computer.

final cut studio and logic pro are os x-only. And these are industry standards. You want to edit, you get a mac. And since you claim anyone can afford one now, it should be no problem for "creatives" to get their hands on one.

everyone can getine now. Almost.

macs are still in the $1000+ category. Still premium retail items. I had no idea people were doing so well in this economy.

the second thing is apple basically dumped the creatuves imgage and is becoming a consumer brand, long gone are the days of owning a mac meant you had money.

the mac has always been a consumer brand.

sure they hold there vaule but not like they dud just a few short years ago.

yes, they hold their value, just like they did a few short years ago.

it's all iphone iphone iphone with macbooks macbooks macbooks and why bother calling the 15"a pro with no express card and no matte.

if you're going to commit horrendous spelling errors when posting from your iphone, type slower. The imac line just got a refresh, which has been very well received. And macbooks are . . . . *gasp*, macs.

for msft, most colleges and highschools abd business use windows 95, i think windows 7 will solve that. Who knows. Time will tell.

a meaningless, noncommittal observation. No kidding. And they're using xp.

• Reply 24 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Banalltv View Post

Because obviously it's Marketing's fault for not spinning things the right way. Nothing to do with the actual products of course.

Stomach turning.

Sign of the times.

An MS-hosted event:

http://windowsphonethoughts.com/news...be-shared.html

• Reply 25 of 78
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djames42 View Post

Because that's never been Microsoft's business model

my sarcasm antenna just exploded

ha ha

ms doesn't have a buisness model

they just drunkingly reel from one disaster to another
  • Reply 26 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Sign of the times.

An MS-hosted event:

http://windowsphonethoughts.com/news...be-shared.html

omg

so funny

good one

http://www.zunethoughts.com/
  • Reply 27 of 78
    Quote:

Yeah but you have several things happening here. No longer is Apple tve so called Creative computer. Everyone can getine now. Almost. The second thing is Apple basically dumped the Creatuves imgage and is becoming a consumer brand, long gone are the days of owning a mac meant you had money. Sure they hold there vaule but not like they dud just a few short years ago. It's all iPhone iPhone iPhone with MacBooks MacBooks MacBooks and why bother calling the 15"a pro with no express card and no matte.

For msft, most colleges and highschools abd business use windows 95, I think windows 7 will solve that. Who knows. Time will tell.

i was so mad i was gonna pinch you

for this post

but then my 6yr old said today is opposite day

whew !!

for a moment i thought after 6000 posts you had learned at least one apple truth..

good joke thou

opposite day jokes price less

• Reply 28 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

And so they should get a grilling. The lunatics are running the asylum.

its true true true

we are all forever insane

ms does scare me at times

lets play some pink floyd to day ..huh

The lunatic is on the grass

The lunatic is on the grass

Remembering games

And daisy chains and laughs

Got to keep the loonies on the path

The lunatic is in the hall

The lunatics are in my hall

The paper holds their folded faces to the floor

And every day the paper boy brings more

And if the dam breaks open many years too soon

And if there is no room upon the hill

And if your head explodes with dark forebodings too

I'll see you on the dark side of the moon

The lunatic is in my head

The lunatic is in my head

You raise the blade

You make the change

You rearrange me 'till I'm sane

You lock the door

And throw away the key

And there's someone in my head, but it's not me

And if the cloud bursts thunder in your ear

You shout and no one seems to hear

And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes

I'll see you on the dark side of the moon

"I can't think of anything to say except... Laughing is nice! HaHaHa!"
  • Reply 29 of 78
    http://marketshare.hitslink.com/oper...e.aspx?qprid=8

Ballmer was never good with basic math.
  • Reply 30 of 78
    Quote:

Yeah but you have several things happening here. No longer is Apple tve so called Creative computer. Everyone can getine now. Almost. The second thing is Apple basically dumped the Creatuves imgage and is becoming a consumer brand, long gone are the days of owning a mac meant you had money. Sure they hold there vaule but not like they dud just a few short years ago. It's all iPhone iPhone iPhone with MacBooks MacBooks MacBooks and why bother calling the 15"a pro with no express card and no matte.

For msft, most colleges and highschools abd business use windows 95, I think windows 7 will solve that. Who knows. Time will tell.

Totally clueless. Depending on Mac ownership to say you have money? What irrelevant twisted illogic!

Complaining about iPhone sales when their halo effect is bringing more people to the Mac than ever before?

A lousy artist blames his tools. Get off the hardware complaints, puhleeeze!
  • Reply 31 of 78
    MS's "software strategy" may have gotten them market share over two decades, but now they've painted themselves into a corner where they actually can't afford a new coat of paint, even now when the old coat is peeling.

It's apparent to me that MS has been fiddling around with tactics only for far too long. In their arrogance and lack of real leadership, they haven't seen the need for a strategy, perhaps also because there hasn't been a plan of any kind upon which to base any strategy. And mere tactics without a strategy is like pouring water on sand.

But Apple's little engine that could has had clear-cut plans, strategies, and tactics, in that proper order, and they've had their collective shoulder to the wheel for those same two decades. And now those concerted efforts are showing definite signs of paying off.

Apple hasn't deserted creatives. This silly squabbling over matte screens and laptops is so far off target, it's really sad.

Apple has finally found a strategy for building its customer base and mindshare in the forms of iPods and Iphones. These have been true Trojan Horses, brought to the masses within all the shiny retail store castle walls.

But iPods and iPhones aren't mere gewgaws or trinkets. They're viable products in their own rights. They appeal to a much broader base of people than just "creatives."

Now Apple is poised to make even further inroads with its Tablets. They'll sell very well, of course, and will set the publishing world as we now know it on its *other* ear.

Some here aren't old enough to remember when Adobe and Apple *first* set the publishing world on its ear with the "desktop publishing" revolution they created in the late '80s and '90s. Adobe invented the Postscript® page description language, on which PDF is based, and Apple invented the Laserwriter®.

And now both Adobe and Apple are going to do it again with Adobe AIR and the Apple Tablet.

How will Microsoft respond? Fewer and fewer will care.
  • Reply 32 of 78
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra610 View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Futuristic View Post

Photos of Ballmer always make me think of the idiot football coach in a mid-80s John Hughes-style film. And, realistically, he's better suited to running a football team than running a software company.

I'm telling you, he looks like Peter Boyle from Young Frankenstein.

• Reply 33 of 78
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    I have to wonder how long people will keep buying the rouding error that he uses all too often. After you reach a certain point, it can no longer be called a rouding error and must be called a threat. I wonder where the shareholders draw the line?
  • Reply 34 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pauldfullerton View Post

So Steve Ballmer claims that ... "it is important to remember that 96 times out of 100 worldwide, people choose a PC with Windows, that's a good thing." Do all those people actively 'choose' a Wintel PC because they believe it is better value than a Mac, or because it is 'chosen' for them by some IT guy who has a vested interest in choosing the cheapest PC available, and one that will keep him in a job because it 'just works - some of the time'. Let's face it, there are very few jobs in Mac support, not only because they have about 10% of the market, but because the bloody things 'just work - most of the time'. Now we can't have that, can we Steve!

Amen to that! I'm a Macintosh technician, and most of the time I'm just helping people find preferences. That's real pleasant, but no way to necessitate a large IT department!
  • Reply 36 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

In many ways they are disaster but they?re built up so well that it?ll take a long time and many more areas of consistent failure before they will lose their dominance or fail to makes billions a year in profit.

you are very right sir

i hope chrome os vaporizes ballmer
  • Reply 37 of 78
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    I forget the details but isn't that 96% of the market somewhat skewed if you split the market between less then $1,000 and above $1,000 per unit price? Then further skewed if you look at unit profit margin.

My point being it is possibly becoming a somewhat irrelevant statistic to quote to stock holders who care more about profits and less about volume.
  • Reply 38 of 78
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

I'm telling you, he looks like Peter Boyle from Young Frankenstein.

Wow it is him! This now begs the question, "who was Ballmer's Frankenstein?"
  • Reply 39 of 78
    wingswings Posts: 261member
    "it is important to remember that 96 times out of 100 worldwide, people choose a PC with Windows, that's a good thing."

This is grossly untrue. In the business world (or most of it anyway), it is ONE person who decides what 100 people will use. In those few companies where they let their employees decide what computer they use it's more like 60-80 out of a hundred choose Windows (cause that's all they know).
  • Reply 40 of 78
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Notice how there is no mention of Mac share in the enterprise market which has remained virtually non-existent.