Users report issues with Apple's new Core i7-based iMac

Comments

• Reply 181 of 206
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,828member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pajp View Post

... It's beautiful and blazingly fast.

I have a bicycle like that.

Good to hear. Are you running anything particularly taxing on it?
  • Reply 182 of 206
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Christmas is about more than fancy iMacs

Xmas is really about the almighty...

DOLLAR!
  • Reply 183 of 206
    tenten Posts: 42member
    I have the 27" maxed out, came two weeks ago. No problems, great machine. No glare problems whatsoever. Beautiful machine and screen.
  • Reply 184 of 206
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

Xmas is really about the almighty...

DOLLAR!

Angels cry when you say that...
  • Reply 185 of 206
    Deliveries may be improving. I ordered my 27" i7 on Nov 17 - it was shipped from Shanghai on Nov 25 and I received it in Fort Worth, Tx this morning Nov 27 -- perfect condition, no issues. Hope all have similar experiences.
  • Reply 186 of 206
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

I also find it weird that these issues are only happening with the Core i7 iMacs. Kinda makes you wonder if they are opening up i5's once they're off the assembly line and upgrading them to i7's manually. Possibly rushing to get all this done and either forgetting to attach some cables or being careless when reassembling them?

if you've ever seen the inside of an imac you would know that such a change isn't like popping in and out ram. there's not only cables but resoldering etc. built on order is the only way they could be doing these machines.

it is more likely at least for the cracks that rather than being just a design flaw (which would hit all iMacs since they all have the same body design) it is a factor that the custom build machines don't ship the same method as the in store bulk shipped stock. some second factor is coming into play. improper handling, time in a hot warehouse, jostling during a plane flight (i believe I read somewhere that the regular stuff is shipped by boat). That mistreatment could also be a factor in rattling parts loose as well.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Could be since it seems to be only 27” iMacs with Core i7s, but how many 27” iMacs fit on a palette. The number of complaints seems to be more than the number I’d assume fit on a palette.

they wouldn't be palette shipped because those machines would be built and shipped one by one as they were ordered. they are likely some form of air freight.

I had to work at my shop yesterday and figured Apple would get a shipment so I did some nosying around the box bin when I dumped our trash. Found some Apple freight boxes big enough to hold the store 27" machines. the labels were on the depth end. now I don't know how the machine is positioned inside that box but it is conceivable that it could be turned so that if they were on a belt sorter or some such at a FedEX/DHL/UPS hub they were pushed off onto the other side and that's where the cracking spot is. caused by a little too much push bumping it into a guide rail or something. perhaps our fellow who worked for one of the shippers could clarify for us.
  • Reply 187 of 206
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

they wouldn't be palette shipped because those machines would be built and shipped one by one as they were ordered. they are likely some form of air freight.

Are you certain of that? I would think that with so many BTOs of these new machines going to the US that they?d ship out palettes from the China which would then get separated by individual orders at a distribution center once they get stateside.
  • Reply 188 of 206
    BTO i7 11/16, arrived yesterday FedEx, seems perfect! Fast gorgeous total pleasure.

Transfered data from old iBookG4 via 400->800 firewire cable. Less than 2 hours.

Busy changing settings and dinking around Snow Leopard, whee! Housemate starting tutorials on Apple Find Out How.

Needed to call AppleCare about a couple issues and they've sent Help documents, such excellent customer service you cannot find anywhere else.

HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY !!!
  • Reply 189 of 206
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cascadians View Post

BTO i7 11/16, arrived yesterday FedEx, seems perfect! Fast gorgeous total pleasure.

Transfered data from old iBookG4 via 400->800 firewire cable. Less than 2 hours.

Busy changing settings and dinking around Snow Leopard, whee! Housemate starting tutorials on Apple Find Out How.

Needed to call AppleCare about a couple issues and they've sent Help documents, such excellent customer service you cannot find anywhere else.

HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY !!!

Have you run a dead pixel tester app?
    I also suggest that people install iStat Menus to keep an eye on initial performance, heat and fan speeds for the first week or so.
  • Reply 190 of 206
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

I have a bicycle like that.

Good to hear. Are you running anything particularly taxing on it?

Just to max out the cores I installed the BOINC distributed computing applications and let it start working on some climateprediction.net work sets. The computer gets really hot to the touch on the top (so hot I can't rest my hand there for any longer period), but isn't on fire yet after five hours of hard work. :-)

Otherwise I mostly use it for photo editing in Lightroom - it feels fast there too (it replaced a previous-generation 24" iMac), but I suspect Lightroom might not utilize all the cores optimally. Perhaps it'll get even better if they release a version of Lightroom using Grand Central Dispatch.
  • Reply 191 of 206
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

Out of interest, are you prepared to comment on why, with a price differential of US$200, you are interested in an i5 over an i7? (Sorry - just a brief detour!)

Regards.

I just bought a Core i5 iMac on Black Friday after investigating the performance difference between the Core i5 and the Core i7 on Intel's web site. Core i7 offers 4 virtual cores through Hyperthreading, in addition to 4 physical cores. But the performance gain is 18%, not 100%.

With the examples provided by Intel, I realized that the Core i7 is meant for heavy calculations and professional software in medicine, architecture or digital film production, for instance, where the Core i5 provides a quad core architecture for consumers surfing the web, writing or touching up pictures. The Core i7 would have been an overkill for me, while the Core i5 will extend the useful life of my investment in the future.

Now, let's hope that the delivery truck will bring me the computer of my dreams, not a dead on arrival unit!

• Reply 192 of 206
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ouragan View Post

I just bought a Core i5 iMac on Black Friday after investigating the performance difference between the Core i5 and the Core i7 on Intel's web site. Core i7 offers 4 virtual cores through Hyperthreading, in addition to 4 physical cores. But the performance gain is 18%, not 100%.

With the examples provided by Intel, I realized that the Core i7 is meant for heavy calculations and professional software in medicine, architecture or digital film production, for instance, where the Core i5 provides a quad core architecture for consumers surfing the web, writing or touching up pictures. The Core i7 would have been an overkill for me, while the Core i5 will extend the useful life of my investment in the future.

Now, let's hope that the delivery truck will bring me the computer of my dreams, not a dead on arrival unit!

Core i7 will see more than 20% improvements compared to the Core i5 probably over the next few years, as applications are more intelligently multithreaded, etc.

That said, I think you've made a good choice for your needs, Core i5 is speedy. It's more than capable for the stuff you mention eg. surfing web and pictures ... Your Core i5 will be good for consumer video editing as well.

Core i7 is for those that want MAX performance on their Mac, without getting the Mac Pro.
  • Reply 193 of 206
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

...., where the Core i5 provides a quad core architecture for consumers surfing the web, writing or touching up pictures. ..

I can't imagine how the proles do such tasks on a *gasp* dual core machine.

Enjoy your machine.
  • Reply 194 of 206
    On the Apple-Support-Discussions forum mention is made that after researching the reports of the cracked glass on the delivered iMacs, the breakdown is as follows: i5 = 5., i7 = 20., and 2 that were of unknown CPUs. No known total figures for the 27" iMacs that have been shipped have been found.

I got the impression here that you all thought the cracked glass only occurred on the BTO i7 iMacs.
  • Reply 195 of 206
    Quote:

...the Core i5 provides a quad core architecture for consumers surfing the web, writing or touching up pictures...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

I can't imagine how the proles do such tasks on a *gasp* dual core machine.

Enjoy your machine.

LOL. Here I am with a lowly 2ghz Core 2 Duo MacBook... At least it's aluminium. Heh. 4GB of RAM and a 7200rpm 2.5" drive makes an impact. The 9400M is finally a decent integrated GPU.

I am very interested to see what Arrandale offers. At the MacBook Pro 13" price points, if they put a Core i3, I wonder what performance improvements we might see. I have a creepy feeling though the Intel integrated GPU on the Core i3 will be same or slightly worse in performance to the 9400M.

Like I said, quite interested to see what Apple does with Arrandale and if there are any compelling MacBook Pro improvements next year.

Core i5 and i7 on the desktop have been revolutionary. The changes to the Apple laptop offerings in 2010 would be significant, but more evolutionary on the lower-end laptops. The Core i5 with hyperthreading would, though, give Apple's *midrange* 4 logical cores (AFAIK), finally. The 17" would probably have a true 4 physical cores.

Let's hope of a cautious economic recovery in 2010, may it happen well and may lessons be truly, as much as possible, be learnt.
  • Reply 196 of 206
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

LOL. Here I am with a lowly 2ghz Core 2 Duo MacBook... At least it's aluminium. Heh. 4GB of RAM and a 7200rpm 2.5" drive makes an impact. The 9400M is finally a decent integrated GPU.

I am very interested to see what Arrandale offers. [...] Like I said, quite interested to see what Apple does with Arrandale and if there are any compelling MacBook Pro improvements next year.

Core i5 and i7 on the desktop have been revolutionary. The changes to the Apple laptop offerings in 2010 would be significant, but more evolutionary on the lower-end laptops.

Hyperthreading is for the Core i7 (and upcoming Core i9, I believe), but not the Core i5. Hyperthreading provides 4 virtual cores in addition to the 4 physical cores of the Core i7. The performance gain is 18%.

Staples sells an HP mobile Core i7 portable computer for $1,500 in Canada. Apple should use the same CPU for its MacBook Pros.

As for myself, I investigated, but rejected the portable solution because I wanted a home computer with a HUGE hard drive for my music. I also consider that portables are heavy, accident prone and have a shorter useful life. As I didn't need the portability, there was no reason not to buy a quad-core iMac.

• Reply 197 of 206
    Quote:

I also suggest that people install iStat Menus to keep an eye on initial performance, heat and fan speeds for the first week or so.

Not yet, have a lot to learn. Did take remote into Apple Store where it did not work at all. And the Store's 27" mouse battery was going dead. Bought rechargeable batteries for this new baby.

Took remote back home, pressed Menu & Next for 5 seconds right next to computer, got link symbol, but it still will not turn the volume down on iTunes. Going to set up a Genius Bar appt to get a new one exchanged.
  • Reply 198 of 206
    Apple doesn't offer a matte option on the new iMacs, does it? Is there a good 3rd party way to kill the glare? Someone please share true info on this! Thanks.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

... doesn't mean everyone does.

It's actually about a 50/50 split on the gloss/no-glare question.

If there's a choice between a gloss screen and no computer at all, I'd wager most would prefer a new computer. I hardly consider that a "choice".

Some work spaces, like mine, are impossible to reconfigure to cut down on screen glare, which is terrible for the eyes. I bought a 26" ViewSonic VP2650wb monitor with a non-glare screen, instead of the Apple 24", to use with my MacBook Pro, because of that issue alone.

While not an ideal solution , a $50 anti-glare screen option would make sense, especially if you're spending $2000 for a machine like the 27" iMac with that huge plate of glass.

• Reply 199 of 206
    Quote:

Those sound like good ideas..but hello?!? Buzz kill!
  • Reply 200 of 206
    First I would like to say hello to everyone. Just got my first Mac 3days ago and I'm already disgusted.

I was so excited my new Mac finally arrived I pulled it out of the box and got everything set on my desk. I pushed the power button and everything seemed normal. The intro video started and just when I believe the silver i started to appear everything just froze.

I restarted the system and everything went without a problem the second time. Now since than I've lost count of how many times the system has froze.

Seems to have a mind of it own. Most of the time it will freeze when i wake the computer up from being asleep and start to put my password in. I get about half the password type and everything is already froze. Other times I can have any of the programs open and most of the time it has been without a flaw. Other times it happens as soon as i open a program. The curser wont even move.

I called tech support. The tech had me go into a few things but nothing was resolved. I think I'm going to call back and demand a new computer.