Google 'Nexus One' pictured, rumored coming to T-Mobile

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
While reports suggest Google will independently sell its new "Nexus One" phone contract-free, U.S. carrier T-Mobile is rumored to also offer the new handset.



Peter Kafka of MediaMemo has reported that Google's phone, code-named Nexus One, was pitched to a number of carriers, including Verizon, the nation's largest wireless provider. But only T-Mobile -- which was the first to offer the inaugural Android mobile operating system phone, the G1 -- has shown interest.



"Traditionally in the U.S., consumers buy phones directly from carriers, who eat some or all of the cost of the handsets?which sometimes amounts to hundreds of dollars?in exchange for signing up customers to often controversial multi-year contracts," Kafka said. "Whether or not Google will subsidize the cost of the phone -- via advertising, for example -- is unclear."



T-Mobile will reportedly play an important part in the launch of the phone, actively pushing it in distribution channels and offering support infrastructure. Google intends to sell the GSM-based phone unlocked, which means it could also be used on AT&T, which does not currently offer any Android handsets.



AT&T is the exclusive provider of the iPhone in the U.S., and the nation's second-largest carrier has had its share of issues with Google in the past. Months ago, the two companies were engaged in a war of words over net neutrality, and the practice of blocking calls to rural areas through the Google Voice service.



But Kafka said when the Nexus One is made available for sale, something rumored to happen in January 2010, both AT&T and T-Mobile will be selectable as carriers through a menu-style online order system. Google reportedly plans to allow customers the ability to purchase the phone and then choose their carrier.



The new Google Phone was distributed to employees of the company late last week. Since then, photos and details of the new hardware have continued to leak. The HTC-made hardware lacks any reference to its manufacturer on the prototypes distributed to employees, according to Engadget.







The phone runs the unreleased Android 2.1, which features animated home screens, 3D elements in the application tray, and a new grid icon at the bottom of the home screen that allows fast access to all home screen pages. The phone also included the turn-by-turn GPS software Google Maps Navigation, as well as the visual search Google Goggles.



A pictured prototype was running on the T-Mobile network and was seen connected to Wi-Fi. The hardware was described as "incredibly thin and sleek," with four touch-sensitive buttons on its face and a volume rocker on the side. One tipster described the phone as faster than the Motorola Droid, but lacking in multi-touch support in its Web browser.







Also noted was a quick start guide pointing to the inactive URL google.com/phone/support, which could provide further confirmation of a public release.



Update - Two versions of Google phone planned, to be released in January



Reuters reported Monday that Google plans to sell two different versions of its phone: one to be subsidized through T-Mobile by contract and one unlocked version sold through Google's website. The phone will reportedly be available as early as Jan. 5.

«1345678

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 141
    1st. Droid will put up a strong fight.
  • Reply 1 of 141
    I'm sure Verizon and Motorola are thrilled.



    And The Great Android Fragmentation continues . . .
  • Reply 3 of 141
    cool retro Max OS 8 desktop pattern!
  • Reply 4 of 141
    In the picture of the back of the device it looks like the little droid is already waving the white flag.
  • Reply 5 of 141
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Can't wait to see it. If it is subsidized and sold unlocked for say $150, I might get it. So far I only use the Touch, cause the iPhone is too expensive to get in an unlocked fashion (unless you get it used or not GS). If this phone offers the mapping service and other nicities of the droid, priced decently and is unlocked new I will buy it and use it on T-Mobile, which has perfect coverage here in Chicago (at least in my experience).



    I will however keep the touch for its slim form factor and the apps, music and games. (I would use nexus for the internet and directions and calling of course)
  • Reply 6 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post


    I'm sure Verizon and Motorola are thrilled.



    And The Great Android Fragmentation continues . . .



    And you ignoring the iPhone Gen 1, iPhone Gen 2, iPhone 3GS, and iPod Touch Fragmentation continues...



    But hey, I suppose those blinders make it easier to see where you're headed to...
  • Reply 7 of 141
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joltguy View Post


    In the picture of the back of the device it looks like the little droid is already waving the white flag.



    I think they are covering up whatever the android is really waving (like an employee id maybe)
  • Reply 8 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post


    And you ignoring the iPhone Gen 1, iPhone Gen 2, iPhone 3GS, and iPod Touch Fragmentation continues...



    Fragmented? In what way?
  • Reply 9 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post


    Can't wait to see it. If it is subsidized and sold unlocked for say $150, I might get it.



    Who are you expecting to subsidise it? IF t-mobile sell the phone, I would imagine they will lock it to their network. Otherwise you'll be buying directly from Google who won't have the ability to subsidise through a network contract.
  • Reply 10 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post


    And you ignoring the iPhone Gen 1, iPhone Gen 2, iPhone 3GS, and iPod Touch Fragmentation continues...



    But hey, I suppose those blinders make it easier to see where you're headed to...



    you do realize that all those devices are/or capable of all running the latest 3.1 OS...



    while android phones are all over the map...so I do not see how your comparison fits.
  • Reply 11 of 141
    I think I'll have to start saving my pennies now for one of these. I have been dying for an Android phone that will work on AT&Ts network. I know that other areas have trouble, but AT&T is one of the most solid carriers in my area.
  • Reply 12 of 141
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,946member
    The bezel for the camera is needlessly large. I had seen a reference to a story that said the camera was large, but the camera is a normal cell phone pinhole style camera with a big ring that fakes it out to looking larger than it really is, unless you know what you're looking at.
  • Reply 13 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sinless View Post


    I think I'll have to start saving my pennies now for one of these. I have been dying for an Android phone that will work on AT&Ts network. I know that other areas have trouble, but AT&T is one of the most solid carriers in my area.



    from my understanding, it wont be able to run 3G, and sadly this means no simultaneous voice/data....is google really foolhardy? I mean lets take away one of the premium features on our Google Branded Android Phone...lame. More disappointments...I mean those guys are making it easy for SJ...



    I can see all the new Google Android phones coming to ATT stores asking if they can use the 3G service there and realize they should have not believed the hype..
  • Reply 14 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jglavin View Post


    Fragmented? In what way?



    There's hardware and some software differences between the various models. You have the magnometer that's only in the 3GS. And a camera that's only on the iPhones. And there are various differences in the firmware between the iPhones and iPod Touch (I don't know how much that actually affects development). While they're less pronounced than on Android, developers still have to be aware of these differences when making apps.



    Manufactureres are beginning to send out 2.0 updates for their Android phones running 1.5 and 1.6. I think by the middle of Q1 in 2010, there will only be Android 2.0 and 2.1 to worry about.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rhetoric.assassin View Post


    from my understanding, it wont be able to run 3G, and sadly this means no simultaneous voice/data....is google really foolhardy? I mean lets take away one of the premium features on our Google Branded Android Phone...lame. More disappointments...I mean those guys are making it easy for SJ...



    I can see all the new Google Android phones coming to ATT stores asking if they can use the 3G service there and realize they should have not believed the hype..



    You mean just in the US, right?



    http://www.engadget.com/2009/12/14/h...and-att-huspa/



    This has 3G support.
  • Reply 15 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post


    There's hardware and some software differences between the various models. You have the magnometer that's only in the 3GS. And a camera that's only on the iPhones. And there are various differences in the firmware between the iPhones and iPod Touch (I don't know how much that actually affects development). While they're less pronounced than on Android, developers still have to be aware of these differences when making apps.



    Manufactureres are beginning to send out 2.0 updates for their Android phones running 1.5 and 1.6. I think by the middle of Q1 in 2010, there will only be Android 2.0 and 2.1 to worry about.



    While once again it is pointed out that even the 1st gen iphone and the 3rd gen touch can all run the 3.1 os and are all included when an OS upgrade is available.



    And we will see the real numbers, more speculation about the 2.0 and 2.1 being the only two available, THE FACT remains all apple mobile devices are capable/use the latest apple mobile OS....until then with android, it is a lot of big talk...
  • Reply 16 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post


    There's hardware and some software differences between the various models. You have the magnometer that's only in the 3GS. And a camera that's only on the iPhones. And there are various differences in the firmware between the iPhones and iPod Touch (I don't know how much that actually affects development). While they're less pronounced than on Android, developers still have to be aware of these differences when making apps.



    Manufactureres are beginning to send out 2.0 updates for their Android phones running 1.5 and 1.6. I think by the middle of Q1 in 2010, there will only be Android 2.0 and 2.1 to worry about.





    You mean just in the US, right?



    http://www.engadget.com/2009/12/14/h...and-att-huspa/



    This has 3G support.



    it was crossed out for 3G ATT, its runs 3G t-mobile, which is the same as the Edge of ATT...so what are you talking about?
  • Reply 17 of 141
    This is good news for AT&T. Yet another media-hungry phone on their network. I am sure they will love that!



    I'm sure this will also bode well for us AT&T iPhone users who are already used to slow-asssssss network speeds. With another hungry passenger on board, I doubt it's going to get better anytime soon.



    That is, unless AT&T prevents the Google Phone from boarding their network train.
  • Reply 18 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rhetoric.assassin View Post


    While once again it is pointed out that even the 1st gen iphone and the 3rd gen touch can all run the 3.1 os and are all included when an OS upgrade is available.



    And we will see the real numbers, more speculation about the 2.0 and 2.1 being the only two available, THE FACT remains all apple mobile devices are capable/use the latest apple mobile OS....until then with android, it is a lot of big talk...



    No arguments there on the software. Minor differences between the models when it comes to feature sets. However, there are enough hardware differences that hardware developers have to be aware of. Like I said, it's not as much of a difference as Android has. But it's not none either.



    It's also been shown that all devices, even the first G1, are capable of running Android 2.0. And three of the top Android phones are getting the 2.0 update (Droid Eris, HTC Hero, Samsung Moment). The Droid and all subsequent Android phones releasing in 2010 already have 2.0 at a minimum.
  • Reply 19 of 141
    http://www.russellbeattie.com/blog/a...ou-think-it-is



    Android is splintering, just not how you think it is...



    Not to be too condescending, but I think it's amusing to watch the old-school techies in the past couple years finally get around to paying attention to the mobile market that I've had been ranting about exclusively for the better part of the past decade. Tim Bray has a post today about the Android OS, dismissing the idea that there's splintering going on, or that it's a big deal if there is.

  • Reply 20 of 141
Sign In or Register to comment.