Apple tops PC rivals in customer experience, but iTunes lags behind

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 47
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SwissMac2 View Post

while I used to find useful apps quite quickly, now I have to plough through loads of useless crud - as well as music tracks, videos and stuff I have no interest in.

How hard is it to click on Powersearch and select 'Applications'? Then your search will only show applications.
  • Reply 42 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post

- iTunes (desktop application) does not allow to RESUME playback if you quit the application and open it again, restart or shut down the Mac and start up again.

Do want iTunes to automatically start playing music when you launch the app? I doubt that most people would want that as the default behaviour (unless you feel the preferences aren't cluttered enough and could do with another setting).
  • Reply 43 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

Everything is even worse in the App store. Unless you know what you are looking for, you cannot find anything (and even if you do know what your looking for?by name?you often can't find it!) If you want a category, or similar software, or you want to compare the different offerings you have somehow managed to find? Forget about it!

And if I am looking for an application for my Mac and I don't know its name, how do I find it then?

How do I find a book in Amazon's online store if I do not know its title?

The Appstore is like the internet, type in the URL (aka name of the app) and you'll find it. If you don't know the URL (aka name of the app), Google for it.
  • Reply 44 of 47
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by technohermit View Post

Removing the store from the application, and providing a link to it that will open in your browser should do it. Making the storefront the same as Amazon, wholly browser-based, will rid iTunes of the clutter. More people would actually be able to buy there too, as you wouldn't need any additional software. Perhaps all of the competition's phones could purchase there as well.

Maybe a web storefront is what the server farm is for? Apple is slower than average to get things done, due to the quality controls. Most times, it works out for them doing it slower and better, so hopefully this is in the works.

This might explain Apple's multi-billion $ investment in a new Server Farm in NC. They could be gearing up for this. Since they have been so successful in this they might take on the likes of Amazon and others full frontal. I would like to see the store dropped from itunes since the app has gotten so blotted and it can be slow at times and I really do not like the new look and how they organize content, it is way too web like.
  • Reply 45 of 47
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

What happens when you connect an iPhone or iPod? iTunes has always put up a spinning beachball if I try to do anything in iTunes during the first couple of seconds of syncing.

I get one or two seconds of the beachball while the iPod loads. It's 160GB, so that's pretty damn quick, IMO. Whatever is playing while the iPod loads keeps on playing though. What's the problem?
  • Reply 46 of 47
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member
    Noirdesir,you are a serial apologist for poor user experience.

First you say, just click applications to narrow the search to applications (great, its "narrowed" to over 125,000 items.)

Then you say this:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

And if I am looking for an application for my Mac and I don't know its name, how do I find it then?

How do I find a book in Amazon's online store if I do not know its title?

The Appstore is like the internet, type in the URL (aka name of the app) and you'll find it. If you don't know the URL (aka name of the app), Google for it.

In case you didn't notice, Amazon is fairly easy to brows through along a number of axis. the App store is not.

Quite simply, the power search doesn't work, and there is very little chunking of apps. What little chunking has been done, has been done very poorly. Also after you do click on applications to "narrow" your search, if you modify your search to narrow it further, it again searches everything. "No problem just click . . . " These are simple problems that Apple has not addressed. For the sade of the users and developers, since they control the primary source of information and the only source of purchase, they need to give this more attention.

Fortunately for Apple they have you to say that "It's no big deal."