Apple confirms Jan. 27 media event to show off 'latest creation'

Comments

• Reply 181 of 299
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doyourownthing View Post

could it be the iphone in several colors as it's been said?

How about an Apple phone, not an iPhone. Simple, no apps, iPod shuffle built in of course.

Partner this simple thing with a tablet to offer special features - eg: give the tablet 3G connectivity, and offer video conferencing from the tablet while having the phone to your ear.

BTW: I doubt this is what will happening, just the idea seems interesting
  • Reply 182 of 299
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mi_nielsen View Post

I still have these points as the important tech changes to look for on the 27th

1. iPhone apps on mac os x instead of widgets

2. HTML 5 and canvas for online publications. Super tools for the content creators

3. The iTablet working as an interactive touch pad when connected to a Mac.

4. Mac OS X iWork and iLife apps working on the iTable in fullscreen only mode. One app running at a time.

5. iTable support for iPhone apps.

I saw your similar post elsewhere, can't remember where. I particularly like the idea of iPhone apps working as widgets on OSX.

When you say iWork/iLife as "full screen", I presume you mean some apps will work as smaller windows (eg: an iPhone app could stay at the smaller iPhone size on a slate screen?). Other apps would need "full size/full screen" Certainly you wouldn't want iWork/iLife squashed, but did you mean something else?

On another note, I'd like to see my documents folder synced and available between Mac, iPhone, slate. Whether it uses iDisk/MobileMe or not is less important.
  • Reply 183 of 299
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

I saw your similar post elsewhere, can't remember where. I particularly like the idea of iPhone apps working as widgets on OSX.

When you say iWork/iLife as "full screen", I presume you mean some apps will work as smaller windows (eg: an iPhone app could stay at the smaller iPhone size on a slate screen?). Other apps would need "full size/full screen" Certainly you wouldn't want iWork/iLife squashed, but did you mean something else?

On another note, I'd like to see my documents folder synced and available between Mac, iPhone, slate. Whether it uses iDisk/MobileMe or not is less important.

Apple should make our files and work follow you out of the box. Between macs and devices. Have a nice cached NFS cleaver/lazy implementation.

With full screen only I mean not in window mode. Like on the iPhone today only one app is running at a time to conserve resources. So Mac apps on the iTable could run in fullscreen single ap at a time, but iPhone apps can run in as widgets do i the Mac today.

Only widgets should be iPhone apps now on the mac and widgets should be moved to the iPhone as an extended notification driven and multitasked applets.
  • Reply 184 of 299
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Apple built-in the cams so bloggers couldn't stream and live blog the event at the same time. Cunning plan Dr. Evil.

Solution:

http://www.ecamm.com/mac/huckleberry/
  • Reply 185 of 299
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

I am sure that's exactly what it means. It's something totally new and different and has multiple uses. Imagine the number of apps that will be available a year from now on an 10" iPod Touch like device. It can't really be classified but it is a new creation. Some (specially around here) may even call it a piece of art ;-)

[CENTER]Personally...

I find any device with a 10 inch screen that can't successfully run my OSX applications to be of dubious value/use, especially when one can buy a speedy netbook for US 300.00, install OSX and have full PC and Mac functionality.

We'll see where this goes, but they'd be better to introduce a smaller MacBook than a larger iPod Touch.[/CENTER]
  • Reply 186 of 299
    the beginning of what should be a content avalanche is starting...

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...o&mod=yahoo_hs

HarperCollins is one of the biggest publishers in the world and is a subisdiary of News Corp. This will be just the very beginning of all the publishers that will flock to the tablet. Assuming Apple offers the same revenue split (70/30) with publishers that it offers app developers this is a big time no brainer. Amazon offers 50/50 splits but is willing to do 70/30 only if the Kindle gets exclusive distribution rights for the content. Amazon will obviously have to rethink that strategy once the "iSlate" hits the market. Not to mention that the price point for e-books on the iSlate is likely to be much higher than on the Kindle due to video capabilities that would provide author interviews and other "behind the scenes" content. This is going to be a homerun for Apple. If the price is $700 or thereabouts they could sell upwards of 5 million of these per year in my opinion.
  • Reply 187 of 299
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Why would yet another iteration of MS's largely ignored Windows "tablet edition" on yet another PC manufacturer's slate cause anyone to "give up" on an Apple product? MS thinks that what we want is Windows with some touch stuff bolted on. The market has declared otherwise, save for some niche vertical markets. Doing that yet again with the extra Windows 7 magic won't change anything.

I was referring to the name of the product; having an HP Slate and an Apple iSlate would be confusing to consumers.

Quote:

How are you going to make good use of your existing OS X apps when they weren't designed for touch? It's not like there's some toggle that Apple can include to make existing apps magically effective under an entirely different UI.

I think that's exactly what you do: build a translational UI layer that allows for touch motions to mimick mouse movements, like everyone else does. I think of it like the PPC support layer was frThere's no reason for multitouch to be the only possible input method. It's great for some things, but it can coexist with traditional navigational devices (mice).

Quote:

Again, MS puts full-on Windows on these things, and it just makes it awkward and doesn't really answer the question "What is this for, exactly?" I think we can trust that Apple will design a UI and variant of OS X that is tightly coupled to whatever hardware they design. I imagine that developers will be free to adopt their apps to the new system, if they think it makes sense.

It's certainly true that an amazing set of applications could well emerge from this project -- especially if the quality of the developer tools remains as high with Apple as it has been since the beginning of OS X. It's going to be quite awhile before certain sectors of the free open source software community can catch up and support a unique device, depending of course on the number of users. (I am thinking very specifically here for software I would want to have on a tablet.)
  • Reply 188 of 299
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by adamthompson3232 View Post

the beginning of what should be a content avalanche is starting...

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...o&mod=yahoo_hs

HarperCollins is one of the biggest publishers in the world and is a subisdiary of News Corp. This will be just the very beginning of all the publishers that will flock to the tablet. Assuming Apple offers the same revenue split (70/30) with publishers that it offers app developers this is a big time no brainer. Amazon offers 50/50 splits but is willing to do 70/30 only if the Kindle gets exclusive distribution rights for the content. Amazon will obviously have to rethink that strategy once the "iSlate" hits the market. Not to mention that the price point for e-books on the iSlate is likely to be much higher than on the Kindle due to video capabilities that would provide author interviews and other "behind the scenes" content. This is going to be a homerun for Apple. If the price is $700 or thereabouts they could sell upwards of 5 million of these per year in my opinion.

[CENTER]Sounds little different than what's already offered via ZINIO magazine subscriptions, a service I've been using since 2003.

It'll be interesting to see if what Apple offers is really something revolutionary, or merely something 'different'.

[/CENTER]
  • Reply 189 of 299
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

Ah, you see. And...

Excellent call. I agree that it will be oriented towards artistic/creative (including photo manipulation, simple video editing, perhaps GarageBand too) as well as reading/surfing/media consumption.

Wouldn't be surprised if it had educational (note-taking) abilities as well. Maybe collaboration (sharing work with other users) too.
  • Reply 190 of 299
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hodgkin View Post

I was referring to the name of the product; having an HP Slate and an Apple iSlate would be confusing to consumers.

No matter what Apple does, if it's successful others will steal similar names. If it's unsuccessful it won't matter anyway.

Quote:

I think that's exactly what you do: build a translational UI layer that allows for touch motions to mimick mouse movements, like everyone else does. I think of it like the PPC support layer was...

It's not just a pointer issue. The interface itself is designed to a different way of using the product.

Essentially - running OSX apps via a finger-to-mouse conversion app would exclude the specific subtle interaction techniques that make an application easy to use.
  • Reply 191 of 299
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

[CENTER]Sounds little different than what's already offered via ZINIO magazine subscriptions, a service I've been using since 2003.

It'll be interesting to see if what Apple offers is really something revolutionary, or merely something 'different'.

[/CENTER]

You are missing the big picture. Apple currently dominates the retail music industry...not just the online music industry...they have 25% of the total music industry...so while they have significant market share there are still other players that can make money..i am not suggesting that apple will get 100% share of the e-book market but if they get 25% of it while growing the entire market signficantly this will be huge for apple. Apple is going to be first to market with a tablet that can be used for many different tpes of computing and entertainment and the product is obviously going to be better than any "competitors" already in the market (ie. kindle). And publishers are obviously very well aware of apple's success with apps and music so you better believe they don't want to get left behind the apple train when it starts taking off for e-books. i suspect there is going to be a big rush to the tablet from book publishers, especially since apple's model will allow them to grow average selling prices for their books while giving them a larger slice of the higher price tan they get from others out there.

i suspect this is also going to be very big for the video game industry as it will provide for a far superior gaming experience than the smaller screen of the iPhone and iPod touch.

The timing is right for a high end tablet that can do many things and Apple is obviously the one company that you can be sure will deliver on all fronts.
  • Reply 192 of 299
    Quote:

[CENTER]Personally...

I find any device with a 10 inch screen that can't successfully run my OSX applications to be of dubious value/use, especially when one can buy a speedy netbook for US 300.00, install OSX and have full PC and Mac functionality.

[/CENTER]

[RIGHT]Most people can't. And, even if they could, they don't.

Apple is more interested in marketing to 'most people' than a few geeks.[/RIGHT]
  • Reply 193 of 299
    Quote:

[CENTER]

[/CENTER]

[RIGHT]What's 'revolutionary' versus 'different?'[/RIGHT]
  • Reply 194 of 299
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Whoops, sorry.

Quote:

I think that's exactly what you do: build a translational UI layer that allows for touch motions to mimick mouse movements, like everyone else does. I think of it like the PPC support layer was frThere's no reason for multitouch to be the only possible input method. It's great for some things, but it can coexist with traditional navigational devices (mice).

I get what you mean, but I think that Apple would be disinclined to build a kind of betwixt and between device like that. I think they'd be inclined to make a purpose driven device in which each and every UI element has been worked out to work toward that purpose, on that hardware, with every app having been specifically tailored to same.

This is an area that Apple has proven to be pretty uncompromising, for better or worse. Whatever good will they might engender by allowing people to run existing OS X software on the new device would (I believe in Apple's opinion) be more than offset by a dilution of what they intend their "tablet experience" to be. A translation layer would lead to unpredictable consequences, with some software able to run but clumsily, something that I don't think Apple is willing to tolerate. And yes, I understand that this level of control-freakism is something that drives people crazy about Apple. I can already hear the cries of "But it's my tablet! I should be able to run whatever I want!"

Quote:

It's certainly true that an amazing set of applications could well emerge from this project -- especially if the quality of the developer tools remains as high with Apple as it has been since the beginning of OS X. It's going to be quite awhile before certain sectors of the free open source software community can catch up and support a unique device, depending of course on the number of users. (I am thinking very specifically here for software I would want to have on a tablet.)

And like I say, once Apple makes the UI guidelines and hardware parameters clear, OS X developers will be free to port their apps. I would guess that that process won't be that much a barrier. However, I also believe a 10" tablet will be somewhat hardware constrained in such a way that certain marquee apps such as Photoshop or FCP just aren't going to be able to run well enough, so they won't be allowed to run at all.
  • Reply 195 of 299
    you can do anything with this device.

it has a colors, like a can of paint.

iCan
  • Reply 196 of 299
    shogunshogun Posts: 362member
    Quote:

I think Canvas is a great name,

Hmm... There's something to this. Not that it'll be called the iCanvas. That's kind of dippy in my opinion. But the Canvas... and the Frame....

I do think there will be a home base for the tablet, something it attaches to or into for desktop or semi-desktop use as when lots of typing is to be done.

So there's the canvas and the frame. And you can put them together or else carry the canvas around with you.

Those are terms that sound quite Apple'y. And I love them!

EDIT: Also, (why not) I predict wireless charging. (Are folks still reading this thread?)
  • Reply 197 of 299
    With gestures - that can splatter paint in various sizes and shapes depending on the pressure applied to the screen.
  • Reply 198 of 299
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by technohermit View Post

I'm really hoping for a new iPhone and a new lineup of MBP's, too. I could buy both, but I'm waiting on a refresh. I definitely am not buying an iPhone until the next release now, I've waited this long. I don't want a two year (~18 month) wait with a 3GS, for sure.

Yea, same here. I'm thinking of updating my first-gen MacBook to a 15" i5 MBP. But I'm gonna be pretty torn between that and the tablet. A MBP would be more practical, but a tablet would be so fun!
  • Reply 199 of 299
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Apple does not stream video of their live events.

You can follow it liveblogged on various tech sites (Cnet, Engadget, Gizmodo, etc.).

At some later point in time (usually a day or two), they will upload video footage to their own website.

It used to take a day or two, but in the past year or two, it's been up afternoon time the same day
  • Reply 200 of 299
    Quote:

once Apple makes the UI guidelines and hardware parameters clear, OS X developers will be free to port their apps. I would guess that that process won't be that much a barrier. However, I also believe a 10" tablet will be somewhat hardware constrained in such a way that certain marquee apps such as Photoshop or FCP just aren't going to be able to run well enough, so they won't be allowed to run at all.

I imagine the next iPhone SDK and Xcode will focus even more on aiding porting - from iPhoneOS or MacOSX - to the new interface & related technologies.

And then I suppose Apple will reject apps that don't move fully to their new Touch interface guidelines, until they fit a very specific look and feel that Apple has in mind. That would cause complaints, but could also be the key to redefining the way things are done.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MasonMcD View Post

A Tablet with gestures - that can splatter paint in various sizes and shapes depending on the pressure applied to the screen.

And if you spray too much paint, it runs down the screen (it can use the accelerometer to work out which way is down). So when you paint if the wet paint starts running down the window you need to put the tablet flat until it dries?