Apple, Microsoft in talks to make Bing default iPhone search - report

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 79
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

They probably got that idea from the title of the article?

"Apple, Microsoft in talks to make Bing default iPhone search - report"

It's the details of the report that is important, particularly the lack of details, they don't name sources. We hope that the BusinessWeek publication properly vets their sources, but we don't know. Even reputable publications have made serious mistakes in this regard.
  • Reply 62 of 79
    Quote:

Once bitter rivals in the PC landscape,

Once?? Have you been on Mars or something.
  • Reply 63 of 79
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

They probably got that idea from the title of the article?

"Apple, Microsoft in talks to make Bing default iPhone search - report?

it?s clearly a rumor and this is ad-supported site so I don?t expect anything less than sensationalist headlines when it comes to rumours. They have some of the best in-depth technical and financial news, which is likely why they have the best forum posters, that I don?t care about the money generating headlines.

I guess what I?m saying is that I wish more posters would try to digest the data a little more before reacting.
  • Reply 64 of 79
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

It's the details of the report that is important, particularly the lack of details, they don't name sources. We hope that the BusinessWeek publication properly vets their sources, but we don't know. Even reputable publications have made serious mistakes in this regard.

Agreed, there were a few 'alleged' and 'unamed' remarks in there, but I suspect there is more than a grain of truth in there. They also mentioned two separate sources 'familiar' with the talks.

From a business perspective, if Apple adds Bung to it's search providers, and MS pays them to do so, then it's a good move for Apple. Of course the bad side is that it's an MS product, which leaves a bad taste in the mouth of many a Mac user.

In the end, I'll simply turn it off, Apple will make money, and MS will still be playing catchup to everyone else.
  • Reply 65 of 79
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymous guy View Post

Google Maps seems to be another concern for me. I like its presentation and format.

In comparison, Bing Maps (as seen in the Bing app) render slowly and are plagued with jpeg artifacts (on map, not satellite view).

Get ready for Google Maps to disappear from your iPhone in the next OS update.
  • Reply 66 of 79
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

it’s clearly a rumor and this is ad-supported site so I don’t expect anything less than sensationalist headlines when it comes to rumours. They have some of the best in-depth technical and financial news, which is likely why they have the best forum posters, that I don’t care about the money generating headlines.

I guess what I’m saying is that I wish more posters would try to digest the data a little more before reacting.

I'm pretty certain that Apple is ready to stand up to Google in a more potent way. They have a lot up their sleeve, the main goal being work with all, rely on no one. Removing Google Maps from the Maps app, and changing the default search in Safari (which can easily be changed back by anyone and everyone) would be a smart step in that direction, IMO.

I'm not moved one way or the other by this article to think Bing would be the Default replacement, but I'm 100% confident that the next update to the iPhone will include a revised Maps app that ditches Google entirely and is instead powered by "iGuide" Apple's new iPhone/Tablet navigation/Maps system, using either pre-loaded or Apple Cloud Maps.
  • Reply 67 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by greekmango View Post

If Apple fight Google, they'll lose.

Pray tell how you work that one out?
  • Reply 68 of 79
    Best link baiting article ever!!
  • Reply 69 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

I'm pretty certain that Apple is ready to stand up to Google in a more potent way. They have a lot up their sleeve,

I think Google has a lot more to lose if they challenge Apple. But seriously all this speculation is just a nonsense. Google is simply trying to get a foothold in the mobile market. A market that Apple has helped stimulate.

You know the thing that really intrigues me is what Google actually know about Apple. I can't believe Eric Schmidt didn't eaves drop or get a few whispers about future Apple strategy. Hence the parting of the ways.

Would you agree that watching what Google are doing now tells us a lot about what they already know about Apple?

Now that's worth speculating on.
  • Reply 70 of 79
    I think going to war against google is a huge mistake. There are a ton of apps and services I use from google. I love gmail and I like their maps, their cloud services and of course search.

Here is what Apple has to understand: I AM AN APPLE USER BECAUSE APPLE PRODUCTS ARE BETTER!! It has nothing to do with brand loyalty - or rather, I'm loyal to the concept of excellence, and Apple has always stood for that.

HOWEVER THE DEAL IS OFF IF APPLE START PUSHING INFERIOR SOLUTIONS!!!

Bing is worse than Google for search - I WILL NOT USE IT. Apple is on notice: I will drop your products if they become inferior!!!

And if Apple wants to drop google maps - fine... AS LONG AS THEY OFFER SOMETHING SUPERIOR! If they drop it merely to go to war with google - FAIL!!

And we know Apple doesn't get everything right - anyone remember the .mac debacle? Gmail OWNED .mac, and there's a lesson there - I hope Apple maps don't transpire to be the .mac compared to google maps!!!

This Bing sh|t is bad news if true - NEVER GO WITH INFERIOR SOLUTIONS!! That's not why we are Apple users!! (well, except for the fanbois).

Apple is playing with fire.
  • Reply 71 of 79
    This is a real untouched screenshot from my iPhone 3GS.

• Reply 72 of 79
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by clctpa View Post

image: http://www.partysheep.com/bing-sydney.jpg

Odd, because I get results from my PC.
  • Reply 73 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Odd, because I get results from my PC.

I'm sure it was more of an App error than a hole in the database.
  • Reply 74 of 79
    Quote:

According to that link, Google has a 65% share. I've seen estimates as high as 90%, though. Either way, Google has nearly 3/4 of the market. I think Apple may be making a huge mistake taking on the global phenomenon that is Google. Not even Apple, with its undisputed brand loyalty and cult-like following, will be be able to out-Google them.

Rubbish. Google more powerful than Apple...in what? 'Search engines?' AND..?

Google is one giant balloon and Apple are in a class of their own.

Google's stuff looks like it's made by nerdy, number crunching 'mee too' accountants. They're the M$ of internet/mobile computing. They are flat out awful.

I don't associate the word 'class' and Google in the same breath. I don't use their free crap web software of their crap mail service.

If Apple makes a search engine, even a semi-decent one? I go there. Straight away. Google have moved on Apple's turf in true turn coat style. Good luck to them.

Are Google ahead in OS? Computers? App store? Phones? Mp3 players? Digital stores? 'Coolness'?

I can't wait until Apple opens their data centre. If they do a Search Engine and can take 50 million Mac users with them...plus the pending 12-16 million more in Macs sales pending as from this year on...plus all the neary 100 million 'touch' users.

That's alot of search add revenue. Within Apple's eco system? Google are nearly irrelevant. I use Google for search. If they keep on with audacious move on Apple I'll stop using their search engine. Then what they going to do?

Google more powerful than Apple? Give me a break. Google sold what? 20 thousand phones, mere rebranded phones at that...and that's supposed to make them more powerful?

Do they have state of the art network of nearly 300 Apple stores that completely re-invented how we sell computers?

Innovation and Google? Where?

I'd happily use Bing if it meant a bridge to getting an Apple search engine ready and as a way of slowing Google down.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 75 of 79
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    That's strange:-

Quote:

Apple should use some leverage here.

Bing on the iPhone = Office on the iPhone.

No Office = no Bing.
  • Reply 76 of 79
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jon T View Post

I don't think this is likely - at all, but I do like the idea of Microsoft being relegated to the status of a pawn! Finally, it is where it truly belongs...

Might this not just be a clever negotiating tactic by Apple to bring Google into line?

Would Google really care..?

They have desktop search sorted anyway, plus Android market. If Apple turns to Bing, it will actually leave Android platform with far superior search engine, which might bring Google (and Android platform) more bonuses than keeping iPhone with Google search.

Additionally... what if Windows Mobile 7 turns out to be good and start gaining back market share to WinMo? Where does iPhone goes then - Yahoo!?
  • Reply 77 of 79
    Bing is years behind Google, there maps are inferior except for the Birds Eye feature and they had to partner with Wolfram-Alpha as a marketing gimmick because there search results aren't equal to Google and probably never will be. There is a separate app for WA anyway and it is superior since results don't get mixed up. No to BING and frankly we shouldn't cheapen the device to adding any inferior features to it like CDMA (blechhh is all I have to say).
  • Reply 78 of 79
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

As distasteful as the idea of huddling up close to Microsoft may be, and as worrisome as it is that Google has become so dominant, we all have to look in the mirror when it comes to online search. We've all become so used to free search that we can't imagine paying for it. And yet, such a service has enormous costs.

I wonder how many people would be willing to pay a monthly/annual subscription for the value of what Google provides each time you type something in that search box? (One would like to think that the results would thus be ad-free, but cable TV has shown us that subscription services are no antidote for annoying ads.) I suspect that, after a decade of excellent free search services, drastic change may be in the winds...

You are wise Dlux.

Nothing is free and the more "free" it seems the deeper the true costs are hidden.

I don't think the future will be built on subscriptions, though. These are onerous with cell phones and cable companies and will be difficult to reproduce in the search wifi world. But maybe siloing will happen where mobile devices, access and search features are all bundled in a cohesive whole and you end up having to choose the Google/Sprint/Ad? universe or the Apple/AT&T/Quanta Universe or the Verizon/MS/Bing universe. Three separate groups that coexist and cross communicate via cloud to cloud, but who subsidize within themselves.

It seems dumb and the above examples are only suggestions, but in some weird way this is what Apple has been trying to create ... a monolith of h/w, s/w, content and services in beautiful packages. It has leveraged Google and others as needed, but it keeps proving that being overly open to the all you can eat buffet model of MS has proven unwieldy.

I kind of hope this does not occur and that we can continue as is with Apple fighting from the forest fringes and building on victories like Robin Hood as MS keeps retreating to its castle and Google flies around on chaotic dragons, but balkanization often follows globalization and it might happen here.
  • Reply 79 of 79
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

That's strange:-

If you look at the icon in the search bar of clctpa's post, it looks like clctpa is trying to look up location-based services for Sydney on a map, which I think Google does supply for Sydney. So, not same search, we'll have to wait and get a reply to see what was desired.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

As distasteful as the idea of huddling up close to Microsoft may be, and as worrisome as it is that Google has become so dominant, we all have to look in the mirror when it comes to online search. We've all become so used to free search that we can't imagine paying for it. And yet, such a service has enormous costs.

I wonder how many people would be willing to pay a monthly/annual subscription for the value of what Google provides each time you type something in that search box? (One would like to think that the results would thus be ad-free, but cable TV has shown us that subscription services are no antidote for annoying ads.) I suspect that, after a decade of excellent free search services, drastic change may be in the winds...

I don't see how paid search is a solution, other than a solution for people with the problem of too much money on their hands. Ads aren't the only concern, ads are pretty easy to ignore on search results. The other concern is privacy, and I don't think a paid service will do anything about privacy, because they'll still know everything you do in your interaction with them.

Quote:

Apple should use some leverage here.

Bing on the iPhone = Office on the iPhone.

No Office = no Bing.

How many want Office on the iPhone?