Sources detail physical design of Apple's upcoming tablet device

Comments

• Reply 61 of 257
    This image seems to be in line with the rumors I've heard-- makes sense to me but I'm not keen on the design being that it looks exactly like the iphone.

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/artic..._tablet_glass/
  • Reply 62 of 257
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

My curiosity is piqued, I have to admit. I hadn't considered this thing also having Cell capability. How funny is that. We went from huge cell phones in the 70's, to marvels like the iPhone, and I can now see someone pulling a tablet out of their bag to make a call

If any of you remembers this like I do, you're too old...

Speak to MacTripper.

He's on record as saying holding a 10" device up to your ear and talking at the far end of it will be seen as cool.

Too old! As someone said, in reference to growing old - the alternative is worse.
  • Reply 63 of 257
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rrabu View Post

I predict it will look more like a painter's pallet but with a screen on it instead of well's of paint so that you can more easily hold it while working on it with the other hand.

Nah. They'll show everyone holding the tablet as if it were a pallet, but the shape will still be a proper rectangle.
  • Reply 64 of 257
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

Speak to MacTripper.

He's on record as saying holding a 10" device up to your ear and talking at the far end of it will be seen as cool.

Too old! As someone said, in reference to growing old - the alternative is worse.

lol..I can't get the image out of my head. I can just imagine someone doing just that, although I would imagine it would be more for something like a video call than something you hold up to your head, the imagery is still funny as hell...
  • Reply 65 of 257
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

[CENTER]Keep telling yourself that, but the design/aesthetic similarities between this 'tablet/slate/convertible' and the design of the iPhone/Touch (and probably Apple's upcoming iSlate/iPad) are quite obvious to anyone not peering through Apple-colored glasses.

'Borrowing' the basic designs of industry pioneers is nothing new in this environment.[/CENTER]

I don't know why I bother with you, it's clear that you don't listen to anyone but yourself. Please look up the words "pedant" and "iconoclast" and then look in the mirror. Also remember that if a doctor gives you medication, it's a good idea to remember to take it.
  • Reply 66 of 257
    Quote:

[CENTER]Keep telling yourself that, but the design/aesthetic similarities between this 'tablet/slate/convertible' and the design of the iPhone/Touch (and probably Apple's upcoming iSlate/iPad) are quite obvious to anyone not peering through Apple-colored glasses.

'Borrowing' the basic designs of industry pioneers is nothing new in this environment.[/CENTER]

[RIGHT]Yawn.[/RIGHT]
  • Reply 67 of 257
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

3G and 3Gs have a flat back, with curved edges.

I think a nice narrow wedge like the bottom half of an Air would be cool and give it a "handedness" myself, but we won't really know till we see it anyway.

Given that we know it will probably be a flat square with a screen on the front and buttons around the edges though, predictions about what it will look like are a big waste of time IMO. The hardware is really not that important in terms of predictions and the software is really telling, and really important.

I think Ireland is wrong about it being desktop OS-X on it and I think solipsism is wrong about it being a whole new OS in between the desktop and iPhone. IMO it will just be iPhone OS 4.0.

Predictions are just a silly game though and we'll all know soon enough. It doesn't matter that much to me if I'm totally wrong as long as the device itself works well and does what I want it to. Apple designs really good stuff, I'm sure it will be great even if it's not exactly what we all want.

There is absolutely positively no way that it runs iPhone 4.0 period with no major differences to the UI between them. iPhone OS? Yes. A new one. iPhone UI? Nope.
  • Reply 68 of 257
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:

I don't know why I bother with you, it's clear that you don't listen to anyone but yourself. Please look up the words "pedant" and "iconoclast" and then look in the mirror. Also remember that if a doctor gives you medication, it's a good idea to remember to take it.

[CENTER]Don't get all Apple-Hurt simply because there are those who still believe that it's important to examine the facts and 'Think Different'.

You have your opinion on these matters and others have theirs... It's That Simple.[/CENTER]
  • Reply 69 of 257
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

There is absolutely positively no way that it runs iPhone 4.0 period with no major differences to the UI between them. iPhone OS? Yes. A new one. iPhone UI? Nope.

Hmmm?

[CENTER]You do realize that Apple iPhone OS 4.0 would (in fact) be the 'new one' ?[/CENTER]
  • Reply 70 of 257
    Quote:

[CENTER]Don't get all Apple-Hurt simply because there are those who still believe that it's important to examine the facts and 'Think Different'.

You have your opinion on these matters and others have theirs... It's That Simple.[/CENTER]

Seriously, you just sound crazy to me. And I don't mean "crazy" in the colloquial sense of wild and interesting. I'm not joking. You need to see a doctor unless you are just posing as a crazy person to have a laugh.

You seem to have a very tenuous grasp on reality. You are essentially arguing that because someone made a product that has a square screen with and edge to it, that Apple's tablet is a "copy" of that idea??

I hate to break it to you but the invention of the square with rounded corners, precedes even Hewlett Packards incarnation and perhaps the invention of computers altogether.
  • Reply 71 of 257
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

Yes. I thought something like that when I first saw the One-Laptop-per-child tablet.

http://thevibe.socialvibe.com/index....lim-75-tablet/

Somehow I doubt that thing is possible with current technology anywhere near that price.

Quote:

1) This is not a tablet computer

How is that not a tablet computer?
  • Reply 72 of 257
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:

iPhone OS 4.0 will likely have a new UI. I do suspect that there will be some tablet specific UI elements, but it's hard to speculate considering we don't know how the new UI will look on the iPhone.
  • Reply 73 of 257
    Quote:

I'm not sure what you're saying here, but I'm saying that I think it will run iPhone OS 4.0.

Remember this:

Now imagine it with three, or even four bridges and see how silly it looks in your minds eye. It just doesn't make any sense to me that Apple will have multiple OS's. Two is one thing, three or four is just not on (IMO of course).
  • Reply 74 of 257
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

... How is that not a tablet computer?

it's a convertible laptop.
  • Reply 75 of 257
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I bet you guys $1M is isn't thinner than 11.6mm at its thickest point. These guys are guessing, they haven't seen it. It will be aluminum and "shaped" more like the 3G. These guys are basically suggesting it won't have a curved back, and I think their "guess" is wrong.

How did you arrive at such an oddly specific dimension?

From a useability standpoint, I think a curved back would be a mistake. Not saying Apple won't do it, but if you tap anything off center when it's resting on a table, you'll rock the device. It happens with iPhone, but iPhone is meant to be hand held, I don't expect a large tablet to be held the same way.
  • Reply 76 of 257
    Quote:

it's a convertible laptop.

Okay. Converting from what to what?
  • Reply 77 of 257
    Quote:

Seriously, you just sound crazy to me. And I don't mean "crazy" in the colloquial sense of wild and interesting. I'm not joking. You need to see a doctor unless you are just posing as a crazy person to have a laugh.

You seem to have a very tenuous grasp on reality. You are essentially arguing that because someone made a product that has a square screen with and edge to it, that Apple's tablet is a "copy" of that idea??

I hate to break it to you but the invention of the square with rounded corners, precedes even Hewlett Packards incarnation and perhaps the invention of computers altogether.

[CENTER]It does very little to substantiate your argument when all you do is resort to name-calling and (random) insults.

Again: If you fail to recognize the aesthetic similarities between the two devices in question... No Problem, but it doesn't diminish the fact that it does exist.

Now Feel Free To Move Along.[/CENTER]
  • Reply 78 of 257
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Obviously Apple is copying this:

Innovative my ass.
  • Reply 79 of 257
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    And more seriously: DaHarder, if you want to be taken seriously and not just come off like another silly troll (not that it's entirely clear that you do, but, you know, benefit of the doubt and all), you really need to do better than point to a flat screen with a bezel and chant "Neener neener neener, Apple is a copycat."

I imagine that you can work out for yourself that any handheld, flat-screen, touch device is going to be a rectangle with a bezel, and that the real innovation is going to come from the specifics of the hardware and how that interacts with software. Everybody here can see that, so when you pretend like you can't it just makes you look obstinate and/or a bit thick.

That's not what you want, right? You want to contribute to the conversation, beyond thinking up stuff you imagine will needle Apple people? Because that would be so sad, if that's all you're here for. So very, very sad.
  • Reply 80 of 257
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:

3G and 3Gs have a flat back, with curved edges.

You're wrong.