The Car Thread

Comments

• Reply 121 of 200
    My wish car...Big Daddy Roth's Druid Rod from the Adam's Family...

• Reply 122 of 200
    [quote]Originally posted by ctt1wbw:

<strong>The 2002 325i has 184 horsepower, if I remember correctly.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Now if they came out with a 2002 version of the 2002 i might be interested.
  • Reply 123 of 200
    [quote]Originally posted by Kate:

<strong>

It's sometimes like a cart actually.

But not quite at the same speed level though. </strong><hr></blockquote>

<a href="http://www.miniusa.com/crm/main.jsp"; target="_blank">These</a> are already on the streets over there too, yes? They'll probably be a bit more than what I'd want to spend for a car when they are available here in the spring but I'm definitely interested in getting one.
  • Reply 124 of 200
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    [quote]ok...

my ol civic beats all of that

and it still runs

100k miles aint nothin to brag about<hr></blockquote>

Jokes fly over your head, don't they?
  • Reply 125 of 200
    katekate Posts: 172member
    [quote]Originally posted by roger_ramjet:

<strong>

<a href="http://www.miniusa.com/crm/main.jsp"; target="_blank">These</a> are already on the streets over there too, yes? They'll probably be a bit more than what I'd want to spend for a car when they are available here in the spring but I'm definitely interested in getting one.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I've been sitting in one recently. It is more like a VW Golf made by BMW. Not really a Mini any more, despite it uses some design elements of the old Mini in a retro-design style.

The style of the interior is not matching the outer shell design, so I'm a bit puzzled.
  • Reply 126 of 200
    jrcjrc Posts: 817member
    [quote]Originally posted by Fran441:

<strong>Sorry, my van still proves to be more reliable than all of your cars. There aren't any distractions at all. The radio doesn't work (and hasn't for years), the lights in the car don't work (and haven't for years), the car doesn't go above 80 without feeling like it's going to break apart (the spedometer only goes to 100 MPH and that's in the 'red zone').

Plus, I have over 100,000 miles on the van and have never been in an accident, been pulled over for speeding, or blown a tire.

Face it, my van rocks, and your cars are nothing like mine at all. If I ever totalled my car (which would be pretty hard to do any way), it would be much less devestating than if any of you totalled your fancy 'pretty boy' cars. Plus, in Massachusetts (worst drivers in the northeast), other cars avoid mine like the plague.

Plus, it's a true American vehicle. What more could you want? </strong><hr></blockquote>

GO GET EM FRAN! Me and you's van buddies!
  • Reply 127 of 200
    [quote]Originally posted by roger_ramjet:

<strong>

<a href="http://www.miniusa.com/crm/main.jsp"; target="_blank">These</a> are already on the streets over there too, yes? They'll probably be a bit more than what I'd want to spend for a car when they are available here in the spring but I'm definitely interested in getting one.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think those are nice looking. Haven't driven one yet, though.
  • Reply 128 of 200
    [quote]Originally posted by Fran441:

<strong>

Jokes fly over your head, don't they? </strong><hr></blockquote>

no, it seems to be the other way around...

i was being sarcastic in response to yer post...
  • Reply 129 of 200
    davdav Posts: 117member
    driving a 2K Maxima SE 5-SPD.
  • Reply 130 of 200
    Another one bites the dust!

On the way into work this morning I was driving my leasurly 70 MPH. As I took a ramp to merge into another major highway, two headlights grew large in short notice in my rearview mirror. Until, they vanished once again - too close to my bumper to see them, that is.

I always enjoy this part. Usually it's just a sudden decelleration that fixes this problem. But this time, I was playful. I signalled my intent to change into the left lane once the merging ramp completed. I love 'shooting holes' and this was my opportunity. The problem with being on someone's ass is that you can't gain speed BEFORE attempting a pass. So, this guy was at a disadvantage for a second or two.

I immediately shot back to the right (signalling my intent all the way) and floored it.

KEEP IN MIND THAT I DRIVE A FOUR-CYLINDER DODGE CARAVAN BASE (only option: Air Conditioning).

I hear the rumble of the exhaust of my taunter behind me. That person probably laughed at the pedestrian-looking DODGE CARAVAN FOUR-CYLINDER!

As the strained exhaust started to creep past my passenger side, I took note that it was a competent foe: Ford Mustang Convertible.

My tires have been out of balance for a week or so now so I was worried about what could happen at warp speed. But, I'm a risk taker.

That little THREE SPEED AUTOMATIC, FOUR CYLINDER DODGE CARAVAN BASE ('cept A/C) did me proud. I let the Mustang overtake me, but it never got more than 15 feet ahead of me. My BASE DODGE CARAVAN (Aquamarine sans racing stripes) matched his accelleration. Then, I passed him at about 115 MPH. I cannot really relate the fever pitch that the engine and the out-of-balance tires made at that point. But, as I passed the Mustang, I imagined what behind that tinted glass, the driver's face must have looked like. OH, I'm sure they had passed many an innocuous looking DODGE CARAVAN on the way to work while exceeding 100 MPH.

BUT NOT THIS DODGE CARAVAN!

I am just most thankful that my little tires overachied into Z-RATED territory; an area that on past cars relied upon Gatorbacks, P7000Zs, and Yokohama rubber to accomplish. This little one did so on not more than balloon-animal quality rubber.

Thank my lucky star(s).

This isnt' the first time I've bested a Mustang Convertible with a four-cylinder, though. I have raced another on what now is the south-bordering road to Ameritech's headquarters in Hoffman Estates, IL. Yes, my trusty DODGE DAYTONA SHELBY, with exactly 1/2 the cylinders and displacement of the Mustang (2.5l vs 5.0l), and one less gear, not to mention auto vs manual tranny, would dash out the lead, get passed slightly, then pull away in a fit of overboost!

Which brings me to the next point. Dodge will be turbocharing this 2.4l DOHC 4 cyl engine soon and placing it in the PT Cruiser and a souped-up Neon. I can only DREAM that I can one day buy a turbo-2.4l DODGE CARAVAN BASE!

But, I will OPT for the better rubber!
  • Reply 131 of 200
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    Wow. Your van can do more than 100 MPH? My van's spedometer only goes up to 100, and that's in the 'Red zone'.

On my way home from work yesterday, I was on Route 3 in MA heading towards NH, and traffic was bumper to bumper. For some reason, people thought that since they were so much more important than everyone else, they would just pull over into the breakdown lane and speed by everyone. What they do is make it appear that they are going to take the exit, but then just keep driving in the breakdown lane. Considering that traffic was barely moving and since I was in a rush to get home as everyone else, this was really pissing me off.

Since I was in the right lane, and since I have a fairly large vehicle, I decided to move over into the breakdown lane just enough to not let cars pass me. Boy were those cars pissed off! Bunch of hot shots in fancy cars too. So finally, I pulled over to the right just enough to let a car barely squeeze by because I was holding the lane. The guy rolled down his window and started yelling at me, flipping the bird, etc. I just laughed at him. Why? Because around the corner under the next bridge was a state trooper pulling over the people who were driving in the breakdown lane. Since he was so busy yelling at me, the other driver didn't notice it until I pointed at the trooper, and back at him.
  • Reply 132 of 200
    Fran

I never knew it would top 100, either. I was just pretty ticked at the guy sitting 10 inches off my bumper at 6 am. That offramp was the ONLY place on the fricken interstate where he would not have 1 or 2 WIDE OPEN lanes to blow by me. What luck. Otherwise, I'm sure I'd never even given him a second thought going by in excess of 100 MPH. But, because he chose to ride my ass in what was mostly an empty highway, I just had to do something.

In my youth, this is exactly why I mounted white (driving) lights facing rearwards on the rail around the bed of my truck. I'd just have to flick them on/off VERY QUICK to get someone to back off. If not, they'd not be able to see if I had ever resorted to keeping them on for more than 1/10th of a second.

It felt like the van would have done 120+, too. (but not the tires)

All summer last summer the cops around here were pulling over people for not merging at the absolute first available moment once MERGE signs were put up for construction. If you even passed ONE car (at times) you got a $120 ticket, IIRC. Some days they just had a cop STANDING (on foot) in the left lane directing people to line up for the 1/2/or3 patrol cars/officers writing tickets. A friend of mine got one. They meant what they said on the sign DO NOT PASS MERGE NOW INCREASED FINES.

I wish citizens could get 10% of the fine for stuff like that and running red lights, not using turn signals and such. (But NOT for driving 115MPH - that's just silly! )
  • Reply 133 of 200
    odinn5odinn5 Posts: 107member
    Here is mine.

I love it!!

[ 01-18-2002: Message edited by: Odinn5 ]</p>
  • Reply 134 of 200
    '94 Dodge Grand Caravan.. The bumper car, had it two years, been hit 3 times (none my fault).

'89 Chevrolet Celebrity.. reliable, reliable, reliable, 255K on the odo and it just keeps going (not to be left out it has been hit once this year).

Listen kids, when you drive your pretty cars cross country, just swing way north and avoid KS, OK, and TX. There seems to be a fairly high nitwit: decent driver ratio in this part of the country.
  • Reply 135 of 200
    I drive a 1964 Cadillac Coupe DeVille and absolutley love it!
  • Reply 136 of 200
    Well, crapola! I can forget about the BMW, the Audi, the 300m, and any other 30k car I was looking at. I just can't afford the $600 premium on insurance. To hell with that.

I am now looking at Land Rover. I kinda like the new Freelander. The midrange model Freelander is about 25k.

Anyone know the pros/cons of owning a Land Rover? Never driven one.
  • Reply 137 of 200
    tmptmp Posts: 601member
    1988 Chrysler LeBaron convertible with 166,000 miles, paint cancer on the hood, and a dent in the passenger side door. It costs $300 a year to insure,$50 per year to register, gets 25 mpg, and in my neighborhood, is avoided like plague.
  • Reply 138 of 200
    tmptmp Posts: 601member
    of course, if I can have this...

[ 01-11-2002: Message edited by: tmp ]

[ 01-11-2002: Message edited by: tmp ]</p>
  • Reply 139 of 200
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    [quote]Originally posted by pscates:

<strong>

Hey, another Saturn owner! We have to stick together among these Euro-freaks and speed whores!

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Damn straight!

[quote]<strong>You got the LS? Or is that the SL?</strong><hr></blockquote>

The SL. In white. The only option is a CD player. (Granted, power-assist and AC are standard.) I love it.

I'm actually thinking of tricking it out modestly. The suspension needs a marshmallowectomy, and the car looks much better (and would grip the road better) with the bigger wheels that come with the SC and SL2. After that, it'll be just about perfect.

[quote]<strong>I have the SC coupe in silver.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yum. I couldn't get one, though. It couldn't ferry my drumset around to gigs.

[quote]<strong>Have you seen the VUE yet, Saturn's SUV? It's pretty nice, actually. A good bit larger than the KIA Sportage, but not quite one of those big honkin' Ford Expeditions or whatever.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I haven't seen one in person, but it looks nice. SUVs really aren't my thing, though.

[quote]<strong>Saturn makes good, basic stuff for guys satisfied with their wang dimensions.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Amen!
  • Reply 140 of 200
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    [quote]Originally posted by ctt1wbw:

<strong>Well, crapola! I can forget about the BMW, the Audi, the 300m, and any other 30k car I was looking at. I just can't afford the $600 premium on insurance. To hell with that.</strong><hr></blockquote>

That's one of the attractions of my $12K economy car. That, and the ~$250 car payment...

[quote]<strong>I am now looking at Land Rover. I kinda like the new Freelander. The midrange model Freelander is about 25k.

Anyone know the pros/cons of owning a Land Rover? Never driven one.</strong><hr></blockquote>

You feel completely detached from the road. The suspension is ridiculously soft. The accoutrements were recently updated by about 20 years... to 1970. And I have heard nothing good about their reliability.

But they can get you through muck that nothing else will get through, short of a Humvee.

[ 01-11-2002: Message edited by: Amorph ]</p>