Analytics firm spots 50 suspected Apple tablets running iPhone OS 3.2

Comments

• Reply 21 of 132
    avidfcpavidfcp Posts: 381member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

Hrrmmmmmm.....A big iPod Touch? No thanks.

Say it ain't so!

If that's true AND IT COST $999 this will result in Elic fail.

One giant iPod touch with iPhoto and iPhone OS does not sound innovative at all.

Plus the company doing this leaks the info? No way. This is just part of Apples epic marketing technique for FREE PRESS then followed by a real working ipad, facial, iWork and innovative. Classic Apple publicity stunt. If true though man, this won't be good. It will start making me wondering about the vaporware courier.
  • Reply 22 of 132
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Avidfcp View Post

If that's true AND IT COST $999 this will result in Elic fail.

One giant iPod touch with iPhoto and iPhone OS does not sound innovative at all.

Plus the company doing this leaks the info? No way. This is just part of Apples epic marketing technique for FREE PRESS then followed by a real working ipad, facial, iWork and innovative. Classic Apple publicity stunt. If true though man, this won't be good. It will start making me wondering about the vaporware courier.

Very true. It's crunch time. Apple has to reel in some of this hype they've spread, and get everyone's hopes down in the last hour, in order to impress Wednesday.

Truly I don't know if its even possible for Apple to please even 50% of the people watching for this announcement, but we'll see.
  • Reply 23 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

The observation (if true anyway) may suggest new product is powered by ARM processor. Nothing else.

P.S. But it's untrue. Top secret stuff with analytics hooks? You must be kidding me.

It's the software that has the analytics hooks, not the device.
  • Reply 24 of 132
    shogunshogun Posts: 362member
    Have you guys seen this? Exactly how I imagined it.

Found it here.

EDIT:

Full portfolio here. The designer's name is Patrycjucz Brzezinski.
  • Reply 25 of 132
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by knightlie View Post

It's the software that has the analytics hooks, not the device.

Sure. But I can hardly imagine the software like that might have been admitted to such a device.
  • Reply 26 of 132
    Boys can you believe we are 2 days from the great event?

Waiting all these years, and speculating, of course I have always thought I 'd see the day, but it's been so long talking about the tablet and so little actual information trickling out from apple that it's almost unreal that in such a short and concrete time frame they will be presenting it.
  • Reply 27 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shogun View Post

Found it here.

EDIT:

Full portfolio here. The designer's name is Patrycjucz Brzezinski.

Well it looks nice, I d like to put one of these next to the 27" imac, reminds me of Austin Powers and mini me, haha. But it's not really the designers idea, it's just the imac as a dock. A couple of more things, the protrusion keeping this stable should be at the back, and I feel there won't be able to dock it this way, on the horizontal dimension, as the dock will be on the small dimension. Still, it looks great, albeit a bit funny.
  • Reply 28 of 132
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Brzezinski's name is now buzzing in connection with his tablet mockups. He sketched some sliders, too. When I see Mac OS Dock, I believe the next thing to do is to launch Terminal application on tablet.

P.S. La médecine du travail (don't really know what is the analog in the States; they're people at your enterprise to ask question about your health and to lecture you about how they're useful) says, the top edge of the screen should be kept exactly at level your eyes.
  • Reply 29 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Well it looks nice, I d like to put one of these next to the 27" imac, reminds me of Austin Powers and mini me, haha. But it's not really the designers idea, it's just the imac as a dock.

I clicked on the link and saw the other pictures. It's not only about the stand.

It can be untrue, however very nice idea, makes sense, very impressive!
  • Reply 30 of 132
    If this is wrong, and I hope it is, an earlier article said that 4.0 will be for iPhone 3g and 3gs only. I think they were just excluding the first gen iPhone and itouch, not all iPod touches. It would just make a bunch of people mad because the current itouch is just as fast as the 3gs. Is here something I don't know that would let only the iPhones be able to run 4.0 woh probable multitasking, according to the oher article?
  • Reply 31 of 132
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

image: http://thepineappleblog.com/wp-conte...nd-600x424.jpg

Found it here

There is plenty to like about this mockup. The simplicity of sliding into the simple dock, which I assume has more ports in it. Even the comparisons to the new iMac which the glass that goes edge to edge. But ultimately it doesn’t make sense to use a 10” device like you would a 27” iMac.

If I press on the touchscreen to navigate is it to going to take the force of my fingers without tipping a little, maybe even toppling backwards? With the iMac stand the force is pressing down on the stand, but if you alter the center of gravity with rapid use it could problematic. Not that that a better can’t be designed, it would be easy, but that is not it. What about the now awkward use of a touchscreen device with outstretched arms?

Okay, you can plug in a keyboard and mouse, but doesn’t that defeat the purpose of the tablet thereby making it something Apple won’t likely allow since if they’re trying to get you to use a new method for input over an old, entrenched method?

Now look at the Mac OS X items on that display. They are tiny. They aren’t usable. Mac OS X sucks on a netbook so it’ll suck on any 10” display. The OS we’ll see will designed for the tablet.

Still…. it’s better than the mockups of sliding the tablet into an iMac.

PS: I wish graphic designers and engineers were a more common breed.
  • Reply 32 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macmondo View Post

I clicked on the link and saw the other pictures. It's not only about the stand.

It can be untrue, however very nice idea, makes sense, very impressive!

I didn't mean to put it down, kudos to the designer.
  • Reply 33 of 132
    shogunshogun Posts: 362member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Now look at the Mac OS X items on that display. They are tiny. They aren?t usable. Mac OS X sucks on a netbook so it?ll suck on any 10? display. The OS we?ll see will designed for the tablet.

Ah yes, just as I imagined it... And obviously I didn't think it through very far. Good thing I'm not a designer or engineer!

You're right, of course. A 10" iMac would be not particularly useful. Still, there's something about the design that is appealing. If only we could get the idea of a tablet computer to someone like, I dunno, say Steve Jobs, and then get him to devote 3-10 years working on the design and function so that he could debut the final answer when it's ready.

If only...
  • Reply 34 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

the 3.2 part makes me believe the entire thing is B.S.

Actually, it's a credible possibility.

Let's say that the tablet is in production right now or about to go into a manufacturing ramp for a March ship date (as some rumors claim).

That means that the device probably had been running a version of the operating system for about 4-6 months and that OS will be locked going into production. The last released version of iPhone OS was 3.1.2, released about three months ago.

The lack of activity concerning bug fixes, updates, etc. for the iPhone/iPod touch would lend credence to the idea of the iPhone OS team focusing on nailed out the initial version of the OS for the tablet. Another OS team would be focused on the next gen iPhone OS (4.0) which would presumably run on the next gen iPhone, which would likely debut this summer (after the Worldwide Developers Conference) if the past reflects what one could expect.

It is plausible that the tablet would have rather limited differentiation until the 4.0 software is released, a version that would more fully exploit the unique capabilities of the device and while it is running 3.x, it would just seem like a gigantic iPod touch.
  • Reply 35 of 132
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,155member
    A man sneezes into his his hand, analysts go into hystaria as it must be related to Apple's tablet
  • Reply 36 of 132
    Quote:

Ah yes, just as I imagined it... And obviously I didn't think it through very far. Good thing I'm not a designer or engineer!

You're right, of course. A 10" iMac would be not particularly useful. Still, there's something about the design that is appealing. If only we could get the idea of a tablet computer to someone like, I dunno, say Steve Jobs, and then get him to devote 3-10 years working on the design and function so that he could debut the final answer when it's ready.

If only...

There are will be a market for stands for the tablet, if not for anything else then for charging, docking. An ever more common use/demand will be to have the stand at a comfortable height/angle to dock the tablet and read on a desk, on a kitchen table, on a podium, all sorts of uses. And I am sure we will see an imac look alike stand then. There are even at least a couple of imac look alike docks for the iphone at the moment, but for the life of me don't ask me their names because I am on the other side of thirty.
  • Reply 37 of 132
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Truly I don't know if its even possible for Apple to please even 50% of the people watching for this announcement, but we'll see.

My guess is that it will be great in multiple ways, but will have infuriating defects, omissions and lockdowns. Just like the iPhone.

But it will sell for a stupid-high price, and there will be lines overnight filled with giddy fanbois for the press to photograph on launch day.

Later, Apple will fix some glaring omissions and lower the price. Just like the iPhone.

Then, over time, they will add basic functionality and the price will still be higher than competitor's tablets, and folks will still buy them, this time crowing about how much it was worth it to spend more money for a basic feature that was intentionally omitted from earlier generations. Just like the iPhone.
  • Reply 38 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

PS: I wish graphic designers and engineers were a more common breed.

I'm glad they're not - the fewer engineers there are, the higher salary I can command as one!!!!
  • Reply 39 of 132
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

If only...

i agree, it’s visually quite compelling, but so are the transparent displays in the movie Avatar. If people complain about glare from a light source behind them, imagine having light from all directions on your display. Sure, there are uses for this kind of tech, when you need to see behind the display, like a windshield, but for most uses it doesn’t work.
    I think the closest we’ve seen to apps on the Tablet OS may be in iMovie '09. That app has slide outs that seems to work well for a tablet, where options can slide in and out of the scene space and the buttons are mostly large enough to be used with finger gestures. It’s still designed for a Mac, but there is a lot you can do with just a multitouch trackpad.
  • Reply 40 of 132
    Games testing? Well anything to help Americans be more productive. That's the important thing.