Apple introduces iBooks store for iPad

Comments

• Reply 21 of 50
    estyleestyle Posts: 201member
    souliisoul

"I know, but just mentioning AT&T irritates me. I don't live in States anymore, so I hope the International plans as stated by Jobs will be much better!"

_____*****______*****_____Commo check!_____******______*****____

You can't even use AT&T or any carrier they mentioned for US service since you are not in the US.

Let it go man and quit bashing things totally unrelated, unconnected and unaffected by you.

Any GSM...i repeat any GSM...can you hear me now?
  • Reply 22 of 50
    Read and ebook while listening to your music collection?! I thought there was no multi-tasking...?
  • Reply 23 of 50
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Kindle DX am doomed!
  • Reply 24 of 50
    Will iBooks work only with the iPad, or will iBooks be available to iPhone/iPod Touch users as well?

I would think so as it would likely keep iPod Touch users from using (and buying) books via the Amazon Kindle whispersync app.
  • Reply 25 of 50
    So, will this lead me to ditch my Kindle?

Obviously the fact that there is the Kindle app will help this, since you are not going to lose your content if you switch over to this. The screen looks much nicer than the Kindle (obviously), and I'm hoping they will come up with a much better way to do newspapers than Kindle does. I think the demo they showed was looking at New York Times in a browser - I'm hoping you will be able to subscribe like on the Kindle and download the whole paper in one go, and have it look like the print version - that's where Kindle falls down for me.

Key is going to be the battery though. I love how long the Kindle battery goes. If they are right and it can do 8 hours video viewing, I wonder how long it will survive just reading books?

All told, I think this looks like an interesting device. I can't say I'm 100% blown away, but it has potential to be something really special, especially as developers come up with neat ideas.
  • Reply 26 of 50
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by estyle View Post

Any GSM...i repeat any GSM...can you hear me now?

UMTS/HSDPA (850/1900/2100 MHz) and GSM/EDGE (850/900/1800/1900 MHz).
  • Reply 27 of 50
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

my rating has gone to 7/10 can use iwork on the tablet.

Yeah, exactly my thoughs. iWork makes it really useful.
  • Reply 28 of 50
    filburtfilburt Posts: 398member
    Anyone know whether iBooks allow user's personal PDF and ePub collection?
  • Reply 29 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BB Sting View Post

Dammit Apple, why didn't you just name the freggin' thing iBook instead of iPad? IPAD, I mean, come on, it sounds like something made by Tampax for crying out loud!

So, is the name going to stop you from buying one? If yes, then that's your loss. Who cares about the name, the hardware and software and tech specs are all that matter!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rhowarth View Post

So... no McGraw-Hill? \

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Banalltv View Post

No other publishers mentioned? Just those five, eh? I dunno, seems to me like there could have been even one more there... hmm...

Jobs said, "We're going to open the flood gates for the rest of the publishers in the world starting this afternoon." Do people read the entire article before commenting? They will add more publishers as soon as deals are made and contracts signed.
  • Reply 30 of 50
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    imagine every student with the iPad instead of textbooks

WOW
  • Reply 31 of 50
    Quote:

Dammit Apple, why didn't you just name the freggin' thing iBook instead of iPad? IPAD, I mean, come on, it sounds like something made by Tampax for crying out loud!

Really? Tampax is the only pad you can think of?

How about jotter pads? How about drawing pads? Heard about brake pads?

It takes a certain kind of person to think solely of sanitary pads when a name is mentioned.

Maybe Apple should give names to people like this something like iDiots.
  • Reply 32 of 50
    Quote:

Wasn't iPod derided as well? Everyone will learn to live with the name.
  • Reply 33 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rhowarth View Post

So... no McGraw-Hill? \

I'm sure Apple will offer their books but no... they weren't part of the presentation.
  • Reply 34 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post

Really? Tampax is the only pad you can think of?

How about jotter pads? How about drawing pads? Heard about brake pads?

It takes a certain kind of person to think solely of sanitary pads when a name is mentioned.

Maybe Apple should give names to people like this something like iDiots.

It's like a tech'ed out notepad.
  • Reply 35 of 50
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shumate View Post

Read and ebook while listening to your music collection?! I thought there was no multi-tasking...?

The iPod app is one of the few that can run in the background.
  • Reply 36 of 50
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    i will add my hope for highlighting etc. and perhaps also bookmarking fav passages.

and what about the newspapers and magazines. there was talk they might to more an ebook than website style.

and multimedia within the ebooks. how about combining the text and audio versions so you can playback while you read or flip between the two. or having non fiction titles like cook books with embedded videos or language books with audio clips. no mention of that stuff.

and how about native Kindle, Nook and Digital Comic support. Rather than making me download other apps. Not a huge deal but it would make things neater in the UI
  • Reply 37 of 50
    Anyone notice the inclusion of Eclipse (third book in the Twilight saga) on the virtual bookshelf?

Could this be a subtle jab at Steve Ballmer (regarding how the cover of Twilight, which consists of hands cradling an apple, was featured in his presentation of the HP slate computer)... as in, you've been 'Eclipsed'?
  • Reply 38 of 50
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by amac4me View Post

Clearly Jobs was pissed about the comments yesterday on CNBC. I'm sure the Apple lawyers had worked in stipulations that if anyone were to release product information before the event, Apple would have the right to sever the agreement.

I doubt the agreement was severed. They probably just lost their mention in the presentation.
  • Reply 39 of 50
    tekstudtekstud Posts: 351member
    Quote:

LOL- iRag would be more appropriate
  • Reply 40 of 50
    tekstudtekstud Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Wasn't iPod derided as well? Everyone will learn to live with the name.

Not really- Pod was considered very cool as it was derived from science fiction i.e. Invasion of the Body Snatchers, and Alien and had the cool sterile white 2001 look. funny how Apple now acts as if they invented the word.