iPhone OS 3.2 is iPad-only, potential camera support, A4 processor

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 98
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    So now we will have iPhone and iPad version of applications? Have to pay twice? Will the developers sell both for one price? Will devs choose to simply scale iPhone apps or go out of their way to create a separate iPad version?

Doesn't seem like an effective process but I'm not a developer so don't really know.
  • Reply 82 of 98
    kgavkgav Posts: 16member
    I expect that come June and the WWDC Apple will release a new iPhone and iPod Touch using the A4 Processor. I also believe the iPad was probably going to have the same camera the iPod touch was going to get but for some reason Apple scrapped it for both. And when the new Mobile OS X is released at WWDC it will have multi-tasking.
  • Reply 83 of 98
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,647member
    Methinks that Apple has held back some options (not demoed) because it doesn't want to give away all its secrets until it ships.

But can I tether it to my iPhone via bluetooth or USB?
  • Reply 84 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by reliason View Post

No multi-tasking.

No iChat Client.

No expandable storage.

No file system.

No camera

No Adobe Flash

No Silverlight

No streaming media form your itunes on your computer.

Couldn't agree more, I've been waiting for this for years and really feel this is a complete let down.

Right now the lack of webcam and lack of usb is enough to put me right off. Plus there's the mammoth bezel looks horrid and wide-screen movies look rubbish on it.

I hadn't thought about the No File System - but that's a big one.

Also iBook isn't supported outside the US? This has to be a temporary thing.

Getting a screen protector on that thing is going to be fun too.

If I'm in the market for a notebook I want something that has a webcam, it's a basic now. It's like Apple are totally wrapped up in a bubble in there. I mean everyone's complaint about the iPhone + iPod touch is that a) no multitasking b) no front facing webcam. You would think that when apple spent this much time on a product they'd have listened to customers. Watch the video and hear them rabbiting on about the "magical" product. What a load of rubbish.

I think this is Apple TV mark 2.
  • Reply 85 of 98
    kgavkgav Posts: 16member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sc54321 View Post

Couldn't agree more, I've been waiting for this for years and really feel this is a complete let down.

Right now the lack of webcam and lack of usb is enough to put me right off. Plus there's the mammoth bezel looks horrid and wide-screen movies look rubbish on it.

I hadn't thought about the No File System - but that's a big one.

Also iBook isn't supported outside the US? This has to be a temporary thing.

Getting a screen protector on that thing is going to be fun too.

If I'm in the market for a notebook I want something that has a webcam, it's a basic now. It's like Apple are totally wrapped up in a bubble in there. I mean everyone's complaint about the iPhone + iPod touch is that a) no multitasking b) no front facing webcam. You would think that when apple spent this much time on a product they'd have listened to customers. Watch the video and hear them rabbiting on about the "magical" product. What a load of rubbish.

well Multi-tasking is something that can be addressed with future software update. I can see 3rd party accessory maker, making a camera. I believe it came down to the part they were interested as the camera not meeting their specs or price point so they dropped it.

This device is made for media Consumption not Creation therefore a camera is not a priority in this form factor. Incorporating a camera into the device itself poses more problems than it solves whereas an add-on camera with adjustable positioning would be more useful. A Bluetooth WebCam makes sense to me.

A statically placed camera for video conferencing makes no sense in this form factor. It would restrict the way and position people hold the device and the way people choose to hold it should be their personal preference.
  • Reply 86 of 98
    -ag--ag- Posts: 123member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sc54321 View Post

You would think that when apple spent this much time on a product they'd have listened to customers. Watch the video and hear them rabbiting on about the "magical" product. What a load of rubbish.

When has apple actually listened to what its customers wanted?

Since day one it has built the product that you will need. Not the one that ticks all the check boxes with what you want.

If it was any other case they would have put firewire and discreet graphics on its unibody MacBook way back when. Instead of waiting and doing it when they added the Pro moniker.

But then thats also a reason why this one single company has got everyone else in the business in a panic.
  • Reply 87 of 98
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kgav View Post

well Multi-tasking is something that can be addressed with future software update. SNIP...

I have read that after the memory is used by the OS and one application there is only about 40mb left for one more app (which is currently used for Apple's own background apps). I think it may be more of a hardware issue than people realize. I don't know for sure though. Just what I've read.
  • Reply 88 of 98
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Not too much about A4. A priori Cortex-A9, possibly underclocked...
  • Reply 89 of 98
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    Apple's home made processor is not home made -

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/28/a...-a-la-tegra-2/
  • Reply 90 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bklynkid View Post

Re: Camera support

The official Apple iPad spec page has a camera adapter listed on the bottom under Accessories.

I do wish it was built in though. This thing looks like a dud

iPad Camera Connection Kit

The Camera Connection Kit gives you two ways to import photos and videos from a digital camera. The Camera Connector lets you import your photos and videos to iPad using the camera?s USB cable. Or you can use the SD Card Reader to import photos and videos directly from the camera?s SD card.

http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/

May not necessarily be a dud when compared to products like the Kindle DX which has far more limitations for $489. That being said, it would have been nice to have a front facing camera, built-in SD card slot, multi-tasking support and perhaps a smaller bezel at the least.
  • Reply 91 of 98
    The only thing I hope they do is make it so i can print wirelessly, and be able to connect to drives to burn disks. or even see my network so I can peruse through my files. but I know this is aimed more towards the "cloud" which I do use religiously with iDisk through y mobile me account. so I hope if it doesn't come with print wireless function or connect to drives that I would hope it would have or get even tighter integration with the cloud. like my iphoto library being available on the cloud or being able to peruse the library to find the pic I want, or my iTunes being able to be streamed to this device which I suggest should include movies, tv shows, books and to boot add a radio tuner or iTunes radio feature. (which may become reality sometime in the near future). this iPad has to be more than a glorified Touch but just be a little less than a lap top that apple currently offers. If it doesn't then I say it will be a complete failure with what they currently offer. but we must wait as its not even out yet. and yes just cause steve didn't mention it during the keynote doesn't mean it wont do it (sorry that last bit was from a discussion I had on a forum and I hope the tool is here reading this).
  • Reply 92 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tipoo View Post

well it may not be MADE by apple but it was designed by apple period.
  • Reply 93 of 98
    -ag--ag- Posts: 123member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macrooster View Post

The only thing I hope they do is make it so i can print wirelessly, and be able to connect to drives to burn disks. or even see my network so I can peruse through my files. but I know this is aimed more towards the "cloud" which I do use religiously with iDisk through y mobile me account.

As you said you can use iDisk (theres an app for that in the store)

But you can also print via wifi too, search for HP iPrint for example in the app store and it has details there. Im sure there are others.

File transfers can be done using apps like files and wifidisk.

As for burning disks.... thats what your Mac is for.

Im just hoping they update the Remote app to make it able to do even more (think Logitech Harmony 1000 style interface where you can access your ATV OR iTunes OR keynote remote from an easy bundled touch screen).
  • Reply 94 of 98
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tipoo View Post

They're citing an article on a site that seems to go in for pointless Apple snark which ran a post that didn't actually cite any verifiable facts.
  • Reply 95 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by -AG- View Post

As you said you can use iDisk (theres an app for that in the store)

But you can also print via wifi too, search for HP iPrint for example in the app store and it has details there. Im sure there are others.

File transfers can be done using apps like files and wifidisk.

As for burning disks.... thats what your Mac is for.

Im just hoping they update the Remote app to make it able to do even more (think Logitech Harmony 1000 style interface where you can access your ATV OR iTunes OR keynote remote from an easy bundled touch screen).

I'm aware of the apps trust me I use a lot of apps to access things in my house to inlude remotely accessing my computer at home while im away. I'm just hoping apple will take these little extra apps and just build it into the device so I can just press print from iWork on the iPad and just print on my local network. this way I can work on numbers and write something up and just press print, but hp should take advantage of this and expand but I guess it would need to be able to access the files other than pics to print. and I dont own an HP so this is no help, I own a brother. so like I said tighter integration cause having to use all those apps would require too many finger actions:P not really I just hope we can have more capability with this device over the iphone besides the phone part.
  • Reply 96 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macrooster View Post

I'm aware of the apps trust me I use a lot of apps to access things in my house to inlude remotely accessing my computer at home while im away. I'm just hoping apple will take these little extra apps and just build it into the device so I can just press print from iWork on the iPad and just print on my local network. this way I can work on numbers and write something up and just press print, but hp should take advantage of this and expand but I guess it would need to be able to access the files other than pics to print. and I dont own an HP so this is no help, I own a brother. so like I said tighter integration cause having to use all those apps would require too many finger actions:P not really I just hope we can have more capability with this device over the iphone besides the phone part.

That's exactly what the Newton could do. In fact, printing, emailing, faxing, from any application, was simpler and easier on a device made nearly 20 years ago. I read my first eBooks on my Newton and I could download them from a variety of sources, not only the Apple eBook Store. The Newton Messagepad 2000 actually is capable of more than the iPad. The iPod Touch / iPhone OS is very limiting, though it looks very nice and shiny. The whole system is very closed, which may be okay for a mobile phone but it's not ok for a computer. For many, it's not even ok for the iPhone, just ask anyone who feels the need to jailbreak theirs.

If this thing had a forward facing camera for Skype and iChat video calls then it might be worth it. It woudl be less bulky and awkward walking around the house on a Skype video call and pointing the cameral out the window or around the room than it is with the laptop. We already have video telephony but still no decent hardware to use it. It's 2010 after all, and where's my video phone? I've already given up on flying cars.
  • Reply 97 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by phpmaven View Post

Where did you get the idea that it's AT&T only? The device is unlocked so it should be usable on any 3G network. AT&T is the only one that has announced a plan for it, but others will be sure to follow.

You're right. I hadn't seen the entire presentation when I wrote that.

UPDATE: According to MacWorld, it may be unlocked, but it's compatible with evil providers only...

Quote:

AT&T doesn’t have good 3G coverage where I live, work, and travel—will it work with Verizon or T-Mobile instead?

Not at the moment. Although the 3G-enabled iPad will ship unlocked—meaning it won’t be tied to a particular network—the device uses a GSM chip that’s incompatible with Verizon’s 3G network. T-Mobile is a GSM network, but its 3G data runs at 1700MHz; the iPhone’s 3G components support 850, 900, 1800, and 1900 MHz GSM/EDGE, and 850, 1900, and 2100 MHz UMTS/HSDPA. Bottom line: the iPad won’t work on T-Mobile.

Beyond that limitation, the 3G-enabled iPad requires a micro-SIM card for mobile-network access; currently, AT&T is the only U.S. carrier using these cards. (Other international carriers also use mini-SIM cards).

• Reply 98 of 98
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrJedi View Post

That's exactly what the Newton could do. In fact, printing, emailing, faxing, from any application, was simpler and easier on a device made nearly 20 years ago. I read my first eBooks on my Newton and I could download them from a variety of sources, not only the Apple eBook Store. The Newton Messagepad 2000 actually is capable of more than the iPad.

The Message Pad could run the equivalent of iWork? Developers wrote programs like OmniGraffle for it? It had a maps program? You could load and view color, high resolution photos? Played music, did it? How was the reading experience on your Message Pad?

I can tell you-- kinda awful. Please don't claim that it wasn't; it was cool for the time but claiming it was "capable of more" is insane.

Quote:

The iPod Touch / iPhone OS is very limiting, though it looks very nice and shiny. The whole system is very closed, which may be okay for a mobile phone but it's not ok for a computer. For many, it's not even ok for the iPhone, just ask anyone who feels the need to jailbreak theirs.

Why is "closed" not OK for a computer?

Quote:

If this thing had a forward facing camera for Skype and iChat video calls then it might be worth it. It woudl be less bulky and awkward walking around the house on a Skype video call and pointing the cameral out the window or around the room than it is with the laptop. We already have video telephony but still no decent hardware to use it. It's 2010 after all, and where's my video phone? I've already given up on flying cars.

If someone calls me while they're carrying around a constantly moving video camera, I'm hanging up.