Hands on with Apple's iPad (with videos and photos)

Comments

• Reply 301 of 409
    The biggest surprise is the continued lack of Mail's ATTACHMENT BUTTON!:

Oh yea, and the INEXCUSABLE lack of SD Card slot!
  • Reply 302 of 409
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

The biggest surprise is the continued lack of Mail's ATTACHMENT BUTTON!:

Oh yea, and the INEXCUSABLE lack of SD Card slot!

It's like the ipod touch... what would you attach?
  • Reply 303 of 409
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pt123 View Post

It's like the ipod touch... what would you attach?

[CENTER]

Unlike the iPod Touch/iPhone, one can actually create media on the iPad via iWork Touch Edition.

So what does one do with presentations developed on the iPad using Keynote?

It's not like there's a built-in USB port to send it to a USB drive, or a media card reader to place to presentation on a SDHC card.

At this point there's not even a suitable dongle to output the 'created media' to a decent projector or HDMI source.

It's really quite the conundrum (at this point) and an inexcusable oversight for a US 500 to 800.30 dollar device..[/CENTER]
  • Reply 304 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

[CENTER]

Unlike the iPod Touch/iPhone, one can actually create media on the iPad via iWork Touch Edition.

It's not like there's a built-in USB port to send it to a USB drive, or a media card reader to place to presentation on a SDHC card.

At this point there's not even a suitable dongle to output the 'created media' to a decent projector or HDMI source.

It's really quite the conundrum (at this point) and an inexcusable oversight for a US 500 to 800.30 dollar device..[/CENTER]

Those are all assumptions, not facts. After all this thing has a 30-pin connector. There are already 30-pin connector dongles out there that do all of those things for iPods, and no reason to think there won't be for this. On Apples' site right now on the spec sheet it lists a USB dongle, a SD card reader dongle, and a variety of video output options. The device has the very adaptable 30-in adapter as well as wireless-n. Between those two options you will be able to print, display, and off-load data in whatever way you need to, I suspect.
  • Reply 305 of 409
    srangersranger Posts: 473member
    I like the idea of the iPad and it seem to offer more or less what I would want in a device like this.

However, I won't buy it without Flash support. I fail to see how it is going to be a great web surfing device if I can't see the MAJORITY of the video content available on the internet. There is going to be many irate customers who go to XYZ.com to see some great video that all of their friends are talking about only to see a "sorry, but Steve Job's says that you can't view this on your new iPad" icon. I honestly think this alone will severely hurt long term sales.

It will probably still be a success, but this is a deal breaker for me. At least this issue can be fixed with a software update after the huge backlash happens....
  • Reply 306 of 409
    A developer like TomTom could provide the iPad with a good GPS navigator without having to use 3G or wi-fi for position identification. The new wi-fi and GPS camera card or a GPS one made for TomTom could be used with Apple's SD Card USB port connector. Of course Apple could be negotiating with auto manufacturers in the future to utilize a modified iPad with voice activation for similar purposes.
  • Reply 307 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mzaslove View Post

I'm with your boss. When I go out of country to shoot my next film, I'm going to give most of the heads of the departments one (and one for myself, of course). All during shooting people are always running up with laptops showing me pics of things to decide on: costume, set, location, etc. This will make that alone a ton easier. Then, I may keep my script on mine (especially if there's some easy notation), and keep colored pages easily up-to-date (and keep all my notes even with changed pages). If I could route the video feeds, I wouldn't need a monitor. I'll probably take one of these and an MBP, and that would take care of any computing needs I'd need for the shoot.

Thats a great ideal , but theres no memory card slot , cd/dvd drives or usb ports to connect with your camera on the ipad, so how would you get these large files on it quickly. You would have to carry or have access to another pc. And if youre stuck having to carry both, then it defeats the object of lightweight portability. Plus theres nothing to stand the tablet upright so you'll need to lean it on something or

hitch your knees/ legs up, like you see on the current ipad videos. You'd definately need to stream video on an internet server, but you'd need a hefty wifi plan to reguarly stream video. Most unlimited pages mean under 1GB per month. You could use most of that up in a couple of days

If someone wanted to show a DVD on your ipad, youd need to go back to a notebook to transfer the files which would take ages
  • Reply 308 of 409
    I think Apple did the IMPORTANT thing -- kept it simple and did not put anything in that didn't work FLAWLESSLY.

It is NOT really there for what I want --100%, but really, when you look at what they've DONE for a new platform, it is very much more than the sum of it's parts.

Comparing the HP -- netback without a keyboard, to this, is pretty silly. Apple has a dozen or more patents on interfacing with this new touchscreen device. Thoughtful care on you can actually USE it with one hand. Stuffing Windows 7 and having a few tweaks for the touchscreen is just the same old crap.

I've read the other WISH LIST items, and I agree -- I'd like it with multitasking and a video camera. But what does this thing SOLVE that a computer doesn't?

1) Grandma can use this without EVER needing to call her grandson.

2) It won't be broken if left without supervision with your 4-year-old (as long as he understands; anything with a light or motor does not go in the bath tub).

3) It does what it does easily.

The INFRASTRUCTURE Apple has built from the ground up is phenomenal and I think as Developers get a hold of this device -- it will GET MORE VALUE as time goes on.

1) Their own processor, with energy management and customization.

2) Their own capacitative display technology that is ALMOST as good ad the OLED and likely a lot cheaper and more energy efficient if things I've been reading prove true. There is also, perhaps, the ability to detect motion above the screen -- not yet implemented.

3) Jobs has rounded up publishers and newspapers and created iBooks. iTunes is so amazing -- not for the software interface, but because he got a dozen moronic and greedy music labels in many countries to agree to a standard. It seems old hat today -- but NOBODY had done it before Jobs and Apple.

4) The OPEN SOURCE usage of HTML5 and other tech for the layouts should make development for this a good deal easier for Newspapers.

5) NOT having Flash is may be a blessing -- it's poor performance, security problems, and time-consuming development for a LOT of uses. It has GREAT expandability ? but I think as developers create tools for HTML5, we may see a more streamlined alternative. I say this as a Flash Developer - and for some things, it is awesome. Just for 90% of what it does on the web -- not so much. And MP4 is better for that -- so why use Flash for Video?

Apple could have put a lot of THINGS in this device. But out of the gate, it's useful for the medical industry and schools. NOT having an easy way for Users to break it is a plus in many environments.

I'm going to use this as a Touch-Screen Kiosk ASAP. Is there any other 10" Touch Screen full solution for $500 with this quality? No, not even close. So you will see these things also as Point Of Purchase displays.

>> Don't bemoan this as the DEATH OF THE OPEN COMPUTER. You spend too much time twiddling with that dang device and 95% of users can't program a VCR. As a Developer -- YOU CAN customize and create a solution. Imagine if TV's had come to market requiring people to program BASIC for them to automatically play a TV channel? Computer usage is pretty established now for MOST of the activities people use them for. Web Browsing. TV. Games. Word Processing. Art.

The CLOSED Apple Eco-system will open up over time -- but it's creating a STANDARD. It's not CLOSED to a million apps and maybe a developer will complain that their application took a month. But do users need to download a Virus Scanner, a Trojan Horse Detector and then get some service for backup, and another consultant to fix their problems?

If there were a Standards body that filtered the CRAP that you can download for Windows PCs -- I think most people would flock to it.

>> The biggest thing to realize is that Developers and Geeks are not the Customer, and the Customer does not think that their Car is a fascist dictatorship because they don't customize every part or swap out engines. They turn the key and drive it and fill it up at a gas station. And in this case, the Customer OWNS what they put on it and is PROTECTED by the manufacturer that doesn't get money from someone else who wants to spam them, or sell them junk to fix it.

>> This is going to open up NEW markets -- rather than frustrate people with the NetBook experience which is nothing new.
  • Reply 309 of 409
    There's so much debate, that I have started a poll... Pick one thing that you like, and one thing that you don't like about the iPad.

http://yourapplesay.blogspot.com/
  • Reply 310 of 409
    @ FAKE WILLIAM SHATNER

I could not agree more with your entire post... well said!
  • Reply 311 of 409
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mutsu View Post

There's so much debate, that I have started a poll... Pick one thing that you like, and one thing that you don't like about the iPad.

http://yourapplesay.blogspot.com/

How can someone answer your poll? Nobody, except for a privileged few journalists, have actually laid hands on the thing and used it.

I'm not saying its great or a failure until I actually try the thing.
  • Reply 312 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fake_William_Shatner View Post

I think Apple did the IMPORTANT thing -- kept it simple and did not put anything in that didn't work FLAWLESSLY.

[CENTER]Oh...

I wasn't aware that you already had the device (in hand), having used it for a considerable enough time to make such lofty assessments.

I fully understand your enthusiasm for the device, as I too pan to purchase one ASAP, but maybe you should wait until the thing actually comes to market before making such lofty assumptions?[/CENTER]
  • Reply 313 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

How can someone answer your poll? Nobody, except for a privileged few journalists, have actually laid hands on the thing and used it.

I'm not saying its great or a failure until I actually try the thing.

[CENTER]Ahh...

The post of another rational thinker - thanks[/CENTER]
  • Reply 314 of 409
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post

How are they going to get all their content up on their iPads?

I believe that is my major concern with iPad - you can't just connect to the wireless network and pull files from network share. Equally, you can't just drop files back once you have edited them.

I'm not sure if you can at least receive file as email attachment, edit it and send back as email attachment. It wouldn't replace full file sharing over the network, but would at least make life with it a bit more bearable.

With file sharing possibility, it would be much better, much more versatile device... for me.
  • Reply 315 of 409
    bongobongo Posts: 158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpmuk View Post

This is huge. Imagine a 27" iPad desktop built to sit on a flat table at an angle with a slide-out mechanical keyboard at the base. Proper horsepower from the latest desktop chips and GB's of storage from standard HD's. This is where it's going.

You mean like a Microsoft surface, something I saw back in 2008? Don't give me any BS crap about operating systems either, purely on a hardware level Microsoft came up with this first.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

And as for as the OS of the future, do you really think it will:

Have no multitasking?

Have no ability to run independently created apps?

Have extremely limited support for common media formats?

Actually, I think this is exactly Apples future. They've already pissed off Google and Adobe (see below) and their future looks very closed and proprietary. Very 1984 you might say.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

http://www.neowin.net/news/is-the-ip...in.net+News%29

Envy and frustration is a hard road.

Read the comments, the only people drooling over this is any community that has apple in it's domain name. I'd gladly take my netbook over this thing anyday. It does so much more, it can even run a full version of OS X!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by m2002brian View Post

How long (maybe 10 years) before they make all of their chips for all of their products.

You mean switching back to something like PPC?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gts_mac View Post

The experience was frustrating at best, using a stylist and having to press really hard on the screen for the presses to register.

First of all, can this thing even use a stylus? AFAIK, this thing only reacts to fingers, which kills any chance of handwriting recognition. Futhermore, do you really see the health industry rewriting their apps only to have Apple take a slice off it. If I developed medical software what incentives would I have to use the iPad.

The biggest thing here is writing the software. Unless I use it as a web based system, any app I write will need to go to the app store (where anyone can buy it for free), unless I set a price for it. In that case Apple gets a slice of the work.

So lets see. I write App for my iPad to sell to local surgeries. Before I can actually use it though, I need to go through Apple to get approval for it, where they get a nice slice of my money for it. This isn't 1984 at all.

Quote:

1) Grandma can use this without EVER needing to call her grandson.

Yeah, until she calls me because hulu or [insert other site requiring flash] doesn't work. Furthermore you expect your grandma to use her possibly brittle fingers to mash a slab of glass all day to type emails to you and other family?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevegmu View Post

When did S. Jobs say the iPad would be a laptop replacement?

When he compared it to the netbook market saying that that was a device between a phone and laptop?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

Who says this thing won't have flash? it wasn't available during the keynote - there's a few months for adobe to tweak the full plug in to work.

It's not adobe to blame, its your innocent fun loving Apple that never does anything wrong.

Link.
  • Reply 316 of 409
    I didn't see that app included on the home screen. How about it...can we text on the iPad
  • Reply 317 of 409
    Now if we could only get Mr. Jobs to turn his attention to breakfast utensils...
  • Reply 318 of 409
    richysrichys Posts: 160member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

What? Never heard of iDisk? Or Air Sharing? Or File Sharing? Or Soonr? All file sharing apps for the iPhone...which should work for the iPad.

Why do you assume that can't you print from the iPad? Or see SMB/AFS shares in the future?

I've got a Canon photo printing app on my iPod Touch (okay, it would be a lot more useful on an iPhone with a camera; but is quite handy for printing out screen shots of web pages, emails, etc stored as photos).

There's another app called Print Magic that works directly with most wireless printers and allows printing of anything on the clipboard, whole web pages and photos. There's a free test app you can download to try your printer, otherwise it's about 6 or 7 bucks.
  • Reply 319 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

[CENTER]

Well, you could try storing it on your iDisk, or emailing it. All the USB ports on my work ThinkPad are disabled for some (rather vague) 'security' issues. Yet I still manage to get work done and share it.

Regarding projectors, you can already get a VGA dongle (my ThinkPad only has a VGA port, yet I still manage to do presentations). My experience is that most projectors in the corporate environment still stick with VGA. No doubt Apple or some enterprising accessory maker will come out with a DVI or HDMI dongle.

Personally, I can't see me ever having a need to project anything from an iPad. YMMV however. For that reason, I'm happy to not pay for a mini DP or mini HDMI port to be included.

Jesus. Why all the negative waves from most of you. It's like your all looking to find fault with the iPad, and being purposefully obtuse about what it can and can't do. It's frankly pathetic.
  • Reply 320 of 409
    Quote:

It is NOT really there for what I want --100%, but really, when you look at what they've DONE for a new platform, it is very much more than the sum of it's parts.

>> This is going to open up NEW markets -- rather than frustrate people with the NetBook experience which is nothing new.

+1 from me. An intelligent and well thought through argument. Unlike the vast majority of blinkered knee-jerk negative reactions from too many people on this site.