Consumers lose interest in iPad after Apple's unveiling - survey

Comments

• Reply 21 of 407
    c4rlobc4rlob Posts: 277member
    It's true that the iPhone owes much of it success to the apps; but that's the iPad's biggest problem. The most important/popular apps on the iPhone - Phone, MMS, and Camera - aren't on the iPad.
  • Reply 22 of 407
    Quote:

no multitask, no flash, no camera, no interest....

For me it is: Don't multitask, use flash-blockers, don't ichat/skype, interested...

Of course I already have an iMac for "serious" computer taks, and a Macbook - both with built-in cameras I never use - so my uses for the iPad would be just for content-consumption... because kicking-back on the couch seems like it would be more comfortable with an iPad than my MacBook.

Edit: Made me laugh to remember how people used to point at the video-cameras on iMacs and Macbooks as one of the reasons they were "over-priced", because Apple was forcing us to pay for unwanted hardware...

I'm also curious to see how easy it is to keep a tablet-device steady enough for video-chat, if it is not in a dock. Are people really going to be able to hold them steady enough for long conversations, or are they going to find ways to "prop them up" what chatting?

I wonder if Apple tested cameras in the iPad, and found it was sub-par without some kind of image-stabilization.
  • Reply 23 of 407
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

I'm inclined this way as well.

Yep, possibly 30% buying an iPad, thats huge!

(If we take the 'poll' seriously.)

J.
  • Reply 24 of 407
    I don't need a fat iPhone!

No Flash player, locked OS, limited software. No multitasking, please, the year is 2010, not 1980!

Would be a go for me if the tablet would ran on OSX as it would have been a replacement for a laptop when I travel.

Now, I'll need my iPhone, my MacBook Pro AND a Tablet...

No thanks, my bag needs to reduce itself in size, not the other way around.
  • Reply 25 of 407
    People now know the iPad and made up their minds. Some think they'll buy one after they saw what Apple's latest creation was, others say no. So both will go up - that's what you see in the poll. Although the many seem to be disappointed that the new gadget is missing something. It's certainly not such a mass product as the iPhone/iTouch. But it will be highly usable in a couple of environements, such as e.g. education and a niche of people who like to have one at home to read newspapers etc.
  • Reply 26 of 407
    The bash-bloggers and self-interested trolls are really out in force over the iPad. "Yep, finally, Apple is dead. They really screwed the pooch on this one. The iPad comes nowhere near the everything-to-everyone device we were promised by all the pundits and anal-ysts. And, by the way, it's WAY TOO CHEAP!

May the 99 cent netbook and Amazon Kindling live forever! We want one of those OTHER tablet devices, not the iPad! You know, the ones with flash (dead technology on the Mac), a 10 megapixel camera, multitasking, 50 week battery, GPS, Intel processor (also dead technology), Microsoft Office, free 3G service, and money-printing capabilities! Yeah, that's the ticket. We want all that NOW! IMMEDIATELY, DO YOU HEAR?

Long Live The Luddites!
  • Reply 27 of 407
    Talk about putting spin on a poll! You guys oughta be working in politics.

Here's some other headlines we could have written for these same figures:

ANNOUNCEMENT OF IPAD TRIPLES THE NUMBER WHO SAY THEY WILL BUY ONE!

AFTER ANNOUNCEMENT, 37% INCREASE IN THOSE WHO ARE INTERESTED OR WILL BUY IPAD

IPAD ANNOUNCEMENT NEARLY DOUBLES CONSUMER AWARENESS OF PRODUCT

So let's go over those numbers:

Those who answer that they will buy an iPad increased from 3% to 9%.

Those who've heard of the iPad and will either buy one or are interested increased from 22% to 30%.

Those who had heard of the iPad increased from 48% to 82%.

Those who were not interested whether they'd heard of the iPad or not increased from 61% to 70%.

AppleInsider's critical headline relies almost entirely on the fact that a large number of people who had never heard of the iPad and were not interested in buying one, are now a large number of people who have heard of the iPad and are still not interested in buying one.

In fact, the number of people who have not heard of the iPad and are not interested dropped by 50% (35% to 18%), and the number who have heard of it and are not interested in it doubled (26% to 52%). Taken as a whole, those who are not interested one way or the other only increased from 61% to 70%, or about 15%, not doubled as AppleInsider claims. AI can only claim that the numbers of those who are not interested doubled, by pretending that the numbers of those stating they'd heard of it and were not interested were not filled almost entirely by those who previously stated that they hadn't heard of it and weren't interested, which obviously is not the case.
  • Reply 28 of 407
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

It's easy to lose interest in something you can't buy.

Apple needs to stop this nonsense of debuting a product and then saying it will be available X months later.

People show as much interest in the iPad as the Apple TV, which Apple never advertises and word of mouth is not working. If Apple is going to keep public interest up, they are going to have to either debut it again or start advertising it.

Are we on the same planet?

Apple has far fewer "available in X months" product announcements than most other companies and people have shown much more interest in the iPad than the Apple TV.

The iPad made an appearance at the Grammys. If that isn't advertisement, I don't know what is. In other product placement news, the iPad is also supposed to show up in 24 at some point. The iPad is also featured an Apples website, not to mention still discussed on any tech site. I would expect Apple to start "advertising" with traditional TV ads closer to the launch date. I really don't think Apple needs help in the marketing department.
  • Reply 29 of 407
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    I'm always amazed that the naysayers do not see how this will all unfold. You guys don't see that the iPad introduction just merely said yes the iPad does exist with little other detail about it.

Apple will introduce iPhone 4.0 with much more functionality and more sophisticated development tools.
  • Reply 30 of 407
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jnjnjn View Post

Wow, with that much trust in a company you shouldn't buy anything from them. And so, why bother?

As a Dutch saying goes: "zoals de waard is vertrouwd hij z'n gasten". I think that sums it up quit nicely.

Nice.

Quote: "Zoals de waard is, vertrouwt hij zijn gasten."

Literal translation: "Like the innkeeper is, so he trusts his guests."

Meaning: "A person who is untrustworthy is unlikely to trust others."

English equivalent: "You measure other people's cloth by your own yard."

Personally, all the surveys I have seen point to 50-60% of all responders most likely buying an iPad. That is from about 80,000 people on 6-7 sites. I am definately buying one for college and grabbing a refurb iMac to complement it. Student pricing should really pull through for me there. The total cost will be less than if I bought the MacBook Pro I planned on buying before the announcement. To each his own, I say. This fits my needs no matter how much it may be wrong for others'.
  • Reply 30 of 407
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

$130 extra for 3G is a rip-off. The chip and antenna probably cost $0.50. Hell, the chip is probably just disabled in the non-3G.

The hardware is cheap, the licensing and testing is not. Even 3G USB modems for laptops aren't exactly cheap.
  • Reply 32 of 407
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jnjnjn View Post

Wow, with that much trust in a company you shouldn't buy anything from them. And so, why bother?

As a Dutch saying goes: "zoals de waard is vertrouwd hij z'n gasten". I think that sums it up quit nicely.

Do you have a personal (factual) reason to be so negative?

J.

What does trust have to do with anything I said?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

The hardware is cheap, the licensing and testing is not. Even 3G USB modems for laptops aren't exactly cheap.

Thank you for an actual response to my post. You're right that testing and validation are expensive. However, given Apple's greater-than-50% margin on the base hardware, I think they can eat that cost pretty easily in the name of greater volume.
  • Reply 33 of 407
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by c4rlob View Post

It's true that the iPhone owes much of it success to the apps; but that's the iPad's biggest problem. The most important/popular apps on the iPhone - Phone, MMS, and Camera - aren't on the iPad.

Really?

I rarely used the phone and MMS part on the iPhone. Meanwhile, even the iPad runs the iPhone-ish OS, the functionality should be different. I can't wait to get the iPad.
  • Reply 34 of 407
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OskiO View Post

no multitask, no flash, no camera...

Yawn. Is this the new meme to replace glossy screens and Firewire?
  • Reply 35 of 407
    I wonder what would happen when these people actually try one out.
  • Reply 36 of 407
    ltmpltmp Posts: 204member
    So almost 10% say they will buy one?

If that reflects the population at large, Apple will have the greatest hit ever. There are about 250 million people over the age of 18 in the US.

So, sales of 25 million at release?

I'm buying some more Apple stock!
  • Reply 37 of 407
    When I saw this mentioned a couple of days ago on another site I said it was "clickbait" and I'll say it here, too.

Clickbait!

What a meaningless waste of article space. Talk about something interesting and insightfu instead. Slow news day?

The only thing that's interesting is to read the comments and see how so many people "in technology" still have such underdeveloped critical thinking skills and still don't understand what the iPad is and what it represents in the progress of computing.

Mark Hernandez

The Information Workshop
  • Reply 38 of 407
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post

Only you could take the lead line from the article "Consumers lose interest in iPad after Apple's unveiling - survey" and twist it into something fanboyish. I've got to hand it to ya.

To be absolutely fair, the information does indicate a collapse of interest, but only among those that knew the least about it, or nothing about it, prior to it's launch. This survey and the accompanying graphs show the collapse of the hype for the iPad and a solidifying of the support for it amongst the market segments likely to actually purchase it. So yeah, it accurately charts the terrific letdown of when fantasy becomes reality.
  • Reply 39 of 407
    A survey of more than 1,000 randomly selected customers at the online marketplace Retrevo

That explains it.
  • Reply 40 of 407
    Every so often the definition what what Jobs thinks is a great product and the public's opinion don't quite mesh (like AppleTV or the cube). The iPad, at least in its initial configuration might be one of those. Some products start out slow and become a hit later when evolve into something much more useful, like for instance the iPhone. My fear though is that Apple won't fully understand why this is underwhelming to a lot of folks.