Inside Apple's iPad: Multitasking

Comments

• Reply 161 of 285
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

ATT has announced that they will soon carry 5 Android phones. I can't wait. I have dust under my iPhone screen and so I can get a new refurb to sell on eBay any time until June. I hope that ATT will sell at least one Android phone that will be a better device than my iPhone.

I wonder how many other folks feel the same way?

They've announce one today and will be available March 7th.
  • Reply 162 of 285
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

To be accurate, it's not first party apps that can multitask as the many Apple made App Store apps won't run in the background. It's App Store apps can't multitask, regardless of the developer.

Yeah - App Store Apps. And almost insignificant proportion of the App world, eh?

C'mon. Your exception dwarfs the "rule".
  • Reply 163 of 285
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Yeah - App Store Apps. And almost insignificant proportion of the App world, eh?

C'mon. Your exception dwarfs the "rule".

That's the point, there is no exception, it's a blanket rule for the App Store including Apple's apps.
  • Reply 164 of 285
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymous guy View Post

If you don't like Apple, you're a viral marketer.

If you talk badly about Apple, you're a PAID viral marketer.

Your viewpoint smacks of delusion.
  • Reply 165 of 285
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

You should get your anger issues worked out before coming here.

Personal insults have no place here. I will report this sort of post to the Moderators if it is repeated.
  • Reply 166 of 285
    Quote:

he's just one of those few that come here to be a problem for people, and enjoys getting people annoyed

Personal insults have no place on this forum.
  • Reply 167 of 285
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I find it amazing that you think it is insulting to call lazy developers lazy but it is OK for you to say the iPhone OS is "broke" because it is not doing the developers job in remembering where their apps left. It is also amazing that you admit that many apps do remember where you left and many don't and still think it is Apple's mistake not the developers of those apps.

You seem not to understand what "suspend" means but more than happy to keep repeating the Apple mantra about multitasking and misdirecting attention toward "lazy" developers.

Quote:

I am a developer and I have several apps available in the App Store and I can tell you this. Apple provide the necessary tools for developers to save the status of their apps when they terminate. Some developers, which could be a 12 year-old in his mom basement, ignore this because they are lazy (didn't read the documentations), inexperienced, or both. Maybe you find it difficult to believe but there are lazy and inexperienced doctors, engineers, accountants, ... etc.

Again, no need to insult (some) developers. Most of them do seem to "properly" save state in their apps. Those that don't, well, maybe there's not enough money to be made to bother. It's hard to say a developer is lazy in that case. Smart is more like it.

The point is that the iPhone is sorely deficient. Saving state doesn't really cut it for users who must frequently switch between apps. The ability to suspend apps would be incredibly useful and, I believe, would largely satisfy those users who clamor for "multitasking".
  • Reply 168 of 285
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yensid98 View Post

In fact, I now routinely hear complaints from users that the pop up is annoying and gets in their way.

It is annoying. It gets in the way. IMO, it is badly implemented.
  • Reply 169 of 285
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yensid98 View Post

Most of us just want devices that are simple to navigate and work reliably.

The rest of us want devices that simple to navigate, work reliably, and are full featured. We think different from the herd.
  • Reply 170 of 285
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by habi View Post

You wont hear me complaining about copy-paste as a corporate user I think its compulsory and I use it all the time... Just because some ipod user doesnt use it doesnt mean it shouldnt be implemented.

Apple doesn't care about users like you. They design the iPhone so that the stupidest/most naive user can use it easily. Those types of users are (if we can believe the comments on this forum) Apple target demographic.
  • Reply 171 of 285
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

A simple formula - if you don't like it, don't buy it. See how that works??

I think that more and more folks are going to use this easy way out as more choices appear in the market.
  • Reply 172 of 285
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

You seem not to understand what "suspend" means but more than happy to keep repeating the Apple mantra about multitasking and misdirecting attention toward "lazy" developers.

Again, no need to insult (some) developers. Most of them do seem to "properly" save state in their apps. Those that don't, well, maybe there's not enough money to be made to bother. It's hard to say a developer is lazy in that case. Smart is more like it.

The point is that the iPhone is sorely deficient. Saving state doesn't really cut it for users who must frequently switch between apps. The ability to suspend apps would be incredibly useful and, I believe, would largely satisfy those users who clamor for "multitasking".

1) I think you are grossly misinterpreting Apple's stance on multitasking. They are being responsible for the user experience by not allowing anarchical multitasking, unlike what Google and Palm are doing with Android and WebOS, respectively.

2) I see nothing insulting about his comment. The comment about 12yos in a basement is hyperbolic to get across the point that the App Store's ease of development and inexpensive entry fee makes it very easy for bad developers to sell apps. I know that that the Wii doesn't have children playing with an SDK and submitting apps so I feel secure when I buy a game cartridge because it's a completely different dynamic

3) Case in point, there is now an app to restart WebOS at a specific time because cards stay open and poorly developed apps cause memory leaks that slow it down and eat through the battery. These are phones are also for the average user, not the technically obsessed, so taking a proactive measure to not deteriorate the UX is important.

4) The problem isn't the best apps paired with the most technically aware users, it's the worst apps paired with the least technically aware users. This is the focus a CE company should have, not the small tip of the users at the top.

5) I can switch between most apps before other phones can switch between apps because the iPhone 3GS' more refined nature makes it work faster even though the HW is slower than most of the new phones coming to market.
  • Reply 173 of 285
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

I understand what "suspend" mean. An OS "suspend" might not be the most efficient way since it will require dumbing the whole memory used by the app to the limited virtual memory. As you keep dumbing these data into the VM by suspending more apps you will experience slow response and decrease in storage space. It is much efficient if a developer who is very familiar with his own code to handle these events. Why use a 100MB virtual memory space for a game if a developer can achieve the same results with a 1 MB file in within the app.

This has nothing to do with multitasking, which basically keeping the data in the systems RAM to perform the tasks in the background.

Quote:

Yeah.. they are not lazy but they are not smart. And you accuse me of insulting them?

Quote:

I didn't say it is not useful. I said it is the developers responsibility. Different apps need to recover in different ways.
  • Reply 174 of 285
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

I doubt that the vast majority of folks who buy the iPad in the early going are going to be disappointed because the device isn't able to handle absolutely every imaginable scenario. It's success will hinge on how well it performs the tasks that Apple assures us it's meant for.

Apple has assured us that it is the best way to surf the web. And yet, the naive user will not be able to access many popular (and perhaps favorite) websites. IMO, they will be disappointed.

The average shmoe (who is often touted as Apple's core audience) doesn't care that iSteve hates Adobe. But the average shmoe will care very much that their shiny new "best web browsing" device fails to deliver.

At least, that's my guess.
  • Reply 175 of 285
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

PS: Which Android smartphone is shipping with Flash 10.1?

Motorola Devour
  • Reply 176 of 285
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Go away. You are not positive contribution to this or any discussion.

Unkind, rude and insulting posts have no place on this forum.
  • Reply 177 of 285
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gin_tonic View Post

Motorola Devour

Perhaps you missed the question: Which Android smartphone is shipping with Flash 10.1?
  • Reply 178 of 285
    Quote:

Really? "You find". You don'T understand the OS, so what you find isn't what's there. you're the only one who seems to want us to believe this.

This sort of insuting post has no place on this fourm. Moderators, please discipline this guy.
  • Reply 179 of 285
    swingeswinge Posts: 110member
    Quote:

Apple doesn't care about users like you. They design the iPhone so that the stupidest/most naive user can use it easily. Those types of users are (if we can believe the comments on this forum) Apple target demographic.

iGenius, what were you just saying about personal attacks? You're obviously just trying trying to start an argument.... The original Google G1 phone was laughable, they inovated and did some interesting things Apple will do the same.
  • Reply 180 of 285
    Quote:

If you had a life

This sort of insulting condescension has no place on this forum.