Inside Apple's iPad: Adobe Flash

Comments

• Reply 461 of 573
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Why are you so supportive of a closed and proprietary Internet on the one hand and such a big whiner when it comes to Apple who despite your claims let me play any video or audio content via iTunes I choose to import into my library.

*as long as it conforms to the MP4/H.264 video codec and accepted audio formats. Sorry WMA, WMV, DivX, MKV and FLAC.
  • Reply 462 of 573
    grkinggrking Posts: 533member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymous guy View Post

*as long as it conforms to the MP4/H.264 video codec and accepted audio formats. Sorry WMA, WMV, DivX, MKV and FLAC.

the lack of FLAC really stinks IMO.
  • Reply 463 of 573
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Nothing that you posted has anything to do with the fact that Apple is as closed a companyas you can get.

Oh yeah? http://www.opensource.apple.com/

Quote:

That is pretty weak of Apple to not all other containers in iTunes for organizing your media, which is a primary use for the app.

You can save a simple QuickTime Reference Movie, then import that file to iTunes. If you have appropriate codec for the original file in the /Library/Quicktime or ~/Library/QuickTime folder then it will play the video in QuickTime. While this is simple and quick it's still a pain in the arse. You can get these files to play on the AppleTV if you A) stream them from iTunes, and B) have installed the codecs into the AppleTV through one of the many hacks available.
  • Reply 464 of 573
    All you Flash neysayers, and iPad doomsayers, should take a quick read here:

Adobe iPad App Blog
  • Reply 465 of 573
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

All you Flash neysayers, and iPad doomsayers, should take a quick read here:

Adobe iPad App Blog

The Flash platform has been usable on the iPhone as well in the same capacity - as a platform for app development.

A lot of the argument stems around Flash for web use, such as streaming video content. Apple is restricting Adobe from implementing Flash in the Safari browser.
  • Reply 466 of 573
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

I got my turntable up and running again, thinking I'd use it. I dug out lots of great old stuff.

But the system I have now isn't what I used to have. Years ago, I replaced the guts of the music system and got a home theater receiver for my ex-wife's convenience. Before that, I had the turntable running through a New York Audo Labs SuperIt tube-type phono preamp, controlled by a Mod Squad passive preamp, all dumped straight into an Adcom GFA 555 200 Watt amp.

I still have the speakers, some Snell Type E's, and have added a pair of smaller KEFs for the back channel.

So after I got a new Grado cartridge and set up the turntable, I found that I didn't really sit and listen critically, and the vinyl didn't sound so special anymore on the non-audiophile-style home theater system.

So I'm putting the vinyl into the hands of folks who value it MUCH higher than I do. Some of those record collectors are nuts.

There is still a strong market for GFA-555s on ebay. I missed my original so much after a well intentioned "upgrade" that I replaced it last year. Maybe you'll be able to buy Flash web pages on ebay as well 20 years down the road then everyone can be happy.
  • Reply 467 of 573
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pt123 View Post

He doesn't dislike it as much as you think. His beloved Disney owned websites (Disney, ABC, ESPN) has lots of Flash video. It is just a rally cry to get people to buy from his iTunes store.

It's no such thing. Jobs simply doesn't want the user experience marred with poor performance, crashes and short battery life. If he included flash and this happened - you'd all be criticising him for apple's failures. All this BS about this being a financial issue for Jobs is BS - he'd sell more of these things if they supported flash, and you guys would have NOTHING to complain about - his life would be easier.

That the plug-in is a POS is fact, he wants it to work. That's all.
  • Reply 468 of 573
    Quote:

Apple provide the tools to convert from all of those to mp4/.264 - nothing is closed here. There's so much crap spoken on this issue. Apple makes very, very little (relatively) from media on the iTunes store - and any idiot can put anything they want into iTunes, it doesn't take a genius.
  • Reply 469 of 573
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

The article points what is probably the real reason that Apple doesn't want Flash on it's mobile devices: Flash competes directly with the App Store. It gives developers an alternative method of creating apps that do nothing to promote the App Store infrastructure.

What utter crap.

People point out the one 'flaw' in the new device - it would make more sense and be easier for Jobs to simply include it, give a poorly performing device with crap battery life and then take the flack afterwards when people blame apple for the issues caused by adobe's plug-in.

I still don't see how the itunes revenue argument comes into this, it's simply illogical crap. Youtube and BBC iPlayer offer flash free versions, there are no legal sites that I'm aware of that stream HD movies free of charge over the net (certainly not in europe, where HULU doesn't work either), and music is not affected by this in anyway, and apple sell a hell of a lot more music than they do film.

It's cynical crap and you're missing the obvious point - Jobs needs this device to perform as well as possible - the slightest flaw and you guys will be all over it - flash is nothing but a pile of crap right now and needs fixing, it has nothing to do with apple's revenue - indeed - the lack of flash is going to prevent many people buying and cost Apple a lot more than it would lose via a few lost movie sales.

And the whole point of the app store is that anyone can develop for it - what better way to reach a mass market? Not forgetting that CS5 will port flash to App Store compatible formats - even Adobe are beginning to get it.
  • Reply 470 of 573
    fantastic article.. thorough, concise, insightful perspective.. thanks AI!

p.s. I loved the dig at greenpeace
  • Reply 471 of 573
    Quote:

Then why are you choosing low bit rate 720P video content with low grade audio (iTunes HD) over 1080P high bit rate video with superior audio (Blu-Ray)? Hardly jives with your "Skate where the puck is going" philosophy.

Well, the other iTunes benefits outweigh the BD advantage in this case. The idea of playing audio and video in any room at any time from anywhere; including simultaneously is appealing, the idea of previewing, buying or renting movies at any time in the comfort of you home is also very appealing. Besides, most HD programs nowadays are 720 and they look and sound great. ...so, the puck can take different paths to ultimately get into the net.

Time will tell.
  • Reply 472 of 573
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

I don't see the point of having Blue Ray in a desktop or laptop except perhaps for archiving data.

I can understand a BD player for a TV set but then you have to store and manage the disks.

Even for TV, I choose iTunes HD over BD. Everything stores nicely on a NAS drive and I look forward to moving more stuff to the cloud. This is a method that most people will choose in the future. It's better to "Skate where the puck is going".

Time will tell.

agreed

but if go a you walkin in the clouds bring a disc or 2 to back up your day

i just bought a dual BD machine for $125 AND RENT BD from NETFLIX

harry potter rocks

peace 9
  • Reply 473 of 573
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:

Then why are you choosing low bit rate 720P video content with low grade audio (iTunes HD) over 1080P high bit rate video with superior audio (Blu-Ray)? Hardly jives with your "Skate where the puck is going" philosophy.

itunes hd looks fantastic on my MBP 15 / and port from mbp to my 42" plasma also looks great

i doubt 1080 p even works on a laptop

the signal gets lost >>please supply a link

next you will bitch about no BD on your nano phone

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

you can only say crap once a day

ok
  • Reply 474 of 573
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bulk001 View Post

I just wish Adobe would release a version for JB phones and be done with it. Those that want it can download it and those who don't, won't have to.

That's a good idea. Sort of like Google Voice was at one time. Then those that want it can get it for, say watching a show on the train or something. But it would have to be lite as I see or read people saying three percent to one hundered percent of the CPU so I would want a plug.

Write to adobe and maybe they will. GV got a lot of press after being dropped from the app store. There are some flash players now for jb phones but it's not adobes.
  • Reply 475 of 573
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iBill View Post

Total FUD

I skipped over some pages and missed the article but it's been a rumor for a long time that Apple feared the app store vs people writing games for flash. I have read similar articles. And since there are so many flash games, it would be easy for developers to port and then Adobe opens ip a store. I read something like that a few years ago.

If you take that and combine that free tv vs paying for it on the app store, that seems reasonable.
  • Reply 476 of 573
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacHarborGuy View Post

Someone, anyone, just give me at least 5 examples

where flash IS CRITICAL to the Internet.

This will be fun. first, we'll dispute that any mentioned site is critical. Then, if we start losing, we can redefine the word "critical".
  • Reply 477 of 573
    rbrrbr Posts: 631member
    Steve lied. He promised "all the internet" with the original iPhone. Without Flash you can not access "all the internet".

There are many flaws in the iPad, but they are overshadowed by the lack of Flash implementation. Without Flash, the iPad is a glorified (and overpriced) book/PDF reader. It is a fundamentally flawed device which shows just how out of touch and isolated Steve remains. Nearly anyone could have (and would have) specified a better device. He is plainly holding the company back because of his personal issues with Flash and should get over them or get out of the way and let someone else lead.

Like it or not, Flash is everywhere on the internet. It is a de facto standard.

I am looking forward to the introduction of competing devices which will probably be better devices in nearly every way, not the least of which will be the use of the NVidia Tegra 2 SoC which appears to stand head and shoulders above Apple's home grown A4 SoC in terms of performance.

Steve's continued inability to deal with reality has made me begin to think that it may be time to consider other platforms for many things.
  • Reply 478 of 573
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by isuldor View Post

There is still a strong market for GFA-555s on ebay. I missed my original so much after a well intentioned "upgrade" that I replaced it last year. Maybe you'll be able to buy Flash web pages on ebay as well 20 years down the road then everyone can be happy.

Yeah - but finally, after all these years, I'm using the Adcom again, as a 500 watt bridged-into-mono subwoofer amp.

I got a 12 inch passive Snell subwoofer (very chaep on eBay - nobody seems to want a passive subwoofer these days), and I use the low level LFE output on the 5.1 receiver. No crossover, given that the LFE channel is already bandwidth limited. The sub won't handle that kind of power, so I used a SPL meter to balance the output, with the LFE channel at -6 dB. That amount of power controls the sub excursion so well that it is EXTREMELY tight sounding.

Exploding stuff in movies has never been so much fun...
  • Reply 479 of 573
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Closed and proprietary...sounds just like a certain company this board disusses

It is a bit ironic, but you're making that connection for the wrong reasons. Apple has their own closed ecosystem, but it talks to the world of open standards.

Adobe is just Adobe, with several really poor products. One of which is a proprietary web objects format that doesn't work well, has more harmful use than positive, and has been pushed instead of open standards. The latter is bad, and more than enough reason to turn your back on it.

I'm doing my part. ClicktoFlash installed on my own, and every Mac I have access to. I've been graciously thanked by my father in law and others for speeding up their browsing experience, and cleaning up the screen of all those annoying ads. One Macbook owner was afraid their 2006 machine was dying because the fans whirred like crazy every time they went online. Hasn't happened yet since C2F....needless to say they're happy.
  • Reply 480 of 573
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RBR View Post

I am looking forward to the introduction of competing devices which will probably be better devices in nearly every way, not the least of which will be the use of the NVidia Tegra 2 SoC which appears to stand head and shoulders above Apple's home grown A4 SoC in terms of performance.

We won't know that until the A4 is out in the wild. For all we know, it is quad-core.