Steve Ballmer praises Apple for creation of iPhone App Store

Comments

• Reply 61 of 87
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by masternav View Post

OK - let's get this out of the way. Microsoft and Apple have been partners and licensees of each other for some time. Don't let a Seattle Times hack get yerself all riled up.

This is all history here kids - really. It's been reported on frequently enough to give us a reasonable chance at foregoing all the usual diatribe about competition. What is really happening is a 3-way competition between Microsoft, Apple and Google in a couple of key areas, but for distinctly different reasons - also having been reported on previously.

Ginko Biloba is reported to have efficacious effects on short-term memory - try some today!

Extra points for using the proper form of "yerself".
  • Reply 62 of 87
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nofear1az View Post

I prefer Google's results as opposed to Bing's. Bing has a much better looking front page and looks more updated than Google but it's the results that matter the most and Google has the win on that.

I will never forgive Microsoft for IE... I mean really, why does IE have to be the slowest with the most screen hog and not to mention bloaty browser on the market.

I do have to say that Bing is way better than Microsoft's previous attempts with search.

Bloaty bloat bloat bloat. For windows, the safari download is 28 and some megabytes. ie8 is a relatively svelte 18 and some.
  • Reply 63 of 87
    freddychfreddych Posts: 266member
    I pretty much only use Bing for Travel and Cash Back. (BCB as the SD'ers would say)

Google all the way!
  • Reply 64 of 87
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

You'll find it in the Android Market, Apple rejected it.

Nah. Android version is simply called Fartroid One, and there is no reality distortion field thrown around it... because it's description misses words like "magic", "experience", "cool" and "awesome", it will never be as popular as iDevice version.
  • Reply 65 of 87
    gfizgfiz Posts: 32member
    Cats and dogs, living together...mass hysteria!
  • Reply 66 of 87
    tomnryantomnryan Posts: 22member
    It's not strictly true to say that Ballmer laughed at the iPhone. He laughed at the fact that it was $600, and he was right. Apple soon realised this and reduced the price. He also said it wasn't good for email because of the touch keyboard. A lot of business users agree and still use blackberrys because of this. Personally I like the keypad on my iPhone. I also don't mind using Office on my MacBook Pro, so why not Bing on my iPhone?
  • Reply 67 of 87
    istudistud Posts: 193member
    Common guys! He doesn't need to be talking to apple. By just talking nicely once about the App store, Ballmer has brought Bing to the front page. Speculation, iPhone, not iPhone. All he is doing is increasing people's awareness of Bing. He's not a tech guru, but he is a very good salesman.

And everybody here (AI of all forums!) has fall for the bait! Let's try to be a bit more critical...
  • Reply 68 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mystigo View Post

Bing just hasn't been that good for me. The results of just about every search I've tried have been pretty awful. I invariably go back to google to get the info I am looking for.

For example, I searched for "Canon MF6590 drivers" the other day for my printer. Bing sent me to every virus riddled driver collation site under the sun. Canon didn't even make the first page. Google took me straight to Canon's download page -it was the top hit.

Bing results seem to show no priority with respect to when the content was created either. I could be wrong about this, but Google seems to show you more recent content in preference to older stuff. So if you search for tax forms by number, you will generally get the 2009 version for example. Bing will show you stuff from the 90s first if it feels like it -if it even realizes what you are looking for.

I hope Apple doesn't go with Bing. It will be a huge step back.

Odd, I just did the exact same search,and the top 'natural' (non advertising) result was the Canon drivers page for that device... seems pretty direct / accurate.
  • Reply 69 of 87
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Dead people don't read advertising.

Enslave, yes, kill, no.

Make no mistake: They are trying to kill us.
  • Reply 70 of 87
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    I tried Bing and didn't like it. I don't want Bing!

I Apple forces Bing on me there will be no more iPhone for me, and I'm looking forward to the new iPhone this summer to upgrade.
  • Reply 71 of 87
    mystigomystigo Posts: 183member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MsftMacMan View Post

Odd, I just did the exact same search,and the top 'natural' (non advertising) result was the Canon drivers page for that device... seems pretty direct / accurate.

Wow. It is now. I swear it wasn't the other day :-) Weird.
  • Reply 72 of 87
    nondualnondual Posts: 78member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

I tried Bing and didn't like it. I don't want Bing!

I Apple forces Bing on me there will be no more iPhone for me, and I'm looking forward to the new iPhone this summer to upgrade.

This is a fail attitude. You'd pass up a great device because of the search engine used?
  • Reply 73 of 87
    swingeswinge Posts: 110member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

In a word? No.

Provided of course that they intend to stay devs.

The betas are PUBLIC betas, no? Months before OS 3 came out all the features had been identified... I just couldn't remember when that was....

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

Microsoft is hated... by who?

How many iPhone users are actually Windows users at the same time? I have no statistics, but judging by my own environment, quite a few; majority, easily. Most of them are completely indifferent towards Microsoft and Apple likewise. Some are Windows enthusiast and not overly fond of Apple, even if using iPhone.

I've yet to meet Mac user with iPhone; not too common here in New Zealand.

Think outside this forum. Not every computer user choose side and supports it heartedly. Majority will buy what they can afford, or what they were advised to get.

I think you're right, I guess one concern is that I feel like Apple is usually uncompromising with quality..... Fair or unfair, i think the public perception is that Google is far supior to Bing.... I worry it will hurt Apple's reputation if they cut ties with Google and align themselves with Microsoft.... At this point though I don't know if they have any other options....
  • Reply 74 of 87
    benicebenice Posts: 382member
    Well it wasn't mentioned in the article but Bing already has an App for the iPhone so they already know how to work with the platform, so this would be a natural extension.

Still what Apple should really do if they want to avoid a potential anti-competitive claim later on is to allow users to choose the search engine that they want either from a list or, better still, where you can enter your own preference.

Apple can still enter into their (undisclosed) kickback arrangements like normal for our searches with the most revenue coming from the search engines that choose to pay it.
  • Reply 75 of 87
    Slowly this poor fool realizes Apple Inc. is the wave of the future!
  • Reply 76 of 87
    kreshkresh Posts: 379member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mystigo View Post

Bing just hasn't been that good for me. The results of just about every search I've tried have been pretty awful. I invariably go back to google to get the info I am looking for.

For example, I searched for "Canon MF6590 drivers" the other day for my printer. Bing sent me to every virus riddled driver collation site under the sun. Canon didn't even make the first page. Google took me straight to Canon's download page -it was the top hit.

Bing results seem to show no priority with respect to when the content was created either. I could be wrong about this, but Google seems to show you more recent content in preference to older stuff. So if you search for tax forms by number, you will generally get the 2009 version for example. Bing will show you stuff from the 90s first if it feels like it -if it even realizes what you are looking for.

I hope Apple doesn't go with Bing. It will be a huge step back.

I copied "Canon MF6590 drivers", without the quotes of course, from your post and pasted it to bing search. The very first link was the appropriate page at Canon's website containing drivers for that printer. I even have post a picture of the search below, so I claim your post is FUD!

• Reply 77 of 87
    What year is it???

In all seriousness, I don't know why people are so baffled or off-put by the potential synergies MS and Apple could have. Apple has been - and always will be - a hardware company that uses its knack for software to sell it's products. MS has been - and always will be - a software company, that occasionally uses hardware to sell its platforms.

Both companies have had periods of poor management, periods of triumph, and, today, are realizing that symbiosis may work better now than ever before.

I personally can't wait to see MS Office for iPad... so long as they ditch the ribbon

-Clive
  • Reply 78 of 87
    ilogicilogic Posts: 298member
    - IE will always suck

- Default does not mean only

- Google > Bing (it's true, goog is goog for a reason)
  • Reply 79 of 87
    gariongarion Posts: 62member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

Yep, as much as I hate to consider this idea, it makes a lot of sense now...Silverlight would mean that Apple DOES care about the cries of some of its customers, without conceding to Flash's abhorrence...hopefully not, but it might happen soon...

Silverlight support in the iPhone OS would truly be a surprise. And not one that would go down well with Apple's traditional customers. This one included. However soured the relationship between Apple and Adobe may have become I just can't see Apple doing a 180 in their advocacy for open standard H.264/HTML5 and opt for another proprietary multimedia plug-in like Silverlight from yet another competitor. Even if technically possible it would fly in the face of everything Apple has been trying to do in its fight against Flash.
  • Reply 80 of 87
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solarein View Post

I don't know what you are talking about. Apple has always been at war with Google and has always allied with Microsoft. ;-)

doubleplusgood!