Barnes & Noble announces intent to release iPad e-reader app

Comments

• Reply 21 of 107
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,134member
    When consumers have an iPad with the B&N app on it, all will be revealed.

However, the reverse question is interesting as well: if I buy a book on the Apple iBookstore, can i read it on my Nook as well? The iBookstore will use epub as His Steveness has promised, but I assume it will also be wrapped in DRM. Adobe digital editions seems to handle some of that for us in putting things on the Nook.

All will be revealed. My iPad order goes in first thing Friday. :-)
  • Reply 22 of 107
    Geez, does anyone think that publishers themselves will come to their senses and develop their own apps (I mean, they are the ones who design & manufacture, through one medium or another, their products) to sell "virtual printed matter" directly to the consumer? (Via the iPad, of course -- isn't this what some newspapers are [hopefully] doing?)

Who needs a bunch of "bookseller apps?" An app for each store sticks to the same ancient formula. Who needs a bunch of bookstores?

(Unless, of course, the issue is competition for best prices -- best for whom, of course, is always the question...)
  • Reply 23 of 107
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

When consumers have an iPad with the B&N app on it, all will be revealed.

However, the reverse question is interesting as well: if I buy a book on the Apple iBookstore, can i read it on my Nook as well? The iBookstore will use epub as His Steveness has promised, but I assume it will also be wrapped in DRM. Adobe digital editions seems to handle some of that for us in putting things on the Nook.

All will be revealed. My iPad order goes in first thing Friday. :-)

Apple's iPub will have their own DRM with Fairplay, you won't be able to use those ebooks in other readers
  • Reply 24 of 107
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,134member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

Apple's iPub will have their own DRM with Fairplay, you won't be able to use those ebooks in other readers

I'd believe it. But if that is the case, why is the use of ePub so important to announce? "We use ePub, the most popular ebook format" part of the iPad rollout by youknowwho then is seemingly irrelevant? An iBookstore purchase is only usable on a iPad/iPod/iPhone/iMac Apple device? Really?
  • Reply 25 of 107
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,295member
    What possible incentive does Apple have to allow this? It would be like MS submitting a Zune app. It is like allowing B&N to set up a kiosk in a Books a Million store. It is like T-Mobile selling phones out of an AT&T store. What am I missing?
  • Reply 26 of 107
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Anyway.. This dead horse is been beaten far too many times and I will not be replying to any arguments this post might instigate.

That's probably good since I'm not aware of a single app that was rejected because it duplicated the functionality of an app that Apple provides in the App Store.
  • Reply 27 of 107
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

What possible incentive does Apple have to allow this? It would be like MS submitting a Zune app. It is like allowing B&N to set up a kiosk in a Books a Million store. It is like T-Mobile selling phones out of an AT&T store. What am I missing?

The question for Apple is whether it will sell iPads.

The question for B&N is whether this will keep the Nook e-book store relevant.

Right now you can download the Kindle app for the iPhone, how is this materially different?
  • Reply 28 of 107
    esummersesummers Posts: 953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doug Halfen View Post

Geez, does anyone think that publishers themselves will come to their senses and develop their own apps (I mean, they are the ones who design & manufacture, through one medium or another, their products) to sell "virtual printed matter" directly to the consumer? (Via the iPad, of course -- isn't this what some newspapers are [hopefully] doing?)

Who needs a bunch of "bookseller apps?" An app for each store sticks to the same ancient formula. Who needs a bunch of bookstores?

(Unless, of course, the issue is competition for best prices -- best for whom, of course, is always the question...)

They are doing that with the AppStore. One book per app directly from the publisher. The downside is that you can't read the same book on another device. Hopefully the iBookStore will let you read on the iPad and a MacBook Pro.

It really doesn't matter if the publisher sells through the iBookStore or through their own app. The revenue split is the same.

Although unlikely... it would be interesting if the iBookStore allowed authors to sell direct.

If b&n or amazon were to make an app they definitely would not have a built in bookstore because they would have to share their revenue with Apple if I understand the developer agreement correctly. Of course there are shopping apps out there like Amazons app and eBay... so I'm not exactly sure what the rules are... but I think it depends on if the content is downloadable. Maybe someone who has read the store inside an app part of the agreement more recently could comment?
  • Reply 29 of 107
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Smart move.
  • Reply 30 of 107
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Right now you can download the Kindle app for the iPhone, how is this materially different?

The KIndle app on the iPhone doesn't compete with the iPhones native eBook functionality because the iPhone doesn't have native eBook functionality. With the iPad, it's a whole other story.
  • Reply 31 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

The KIndle app on the iPhone doesn't compete with the iPhones native eBook functionality because the iPhone doesn't have native eBook functionality. With the iPad, it's a whole other story.

No, the iPad isn't going to ship with the iBookstore. So the iPad technically doesnt' have native eBook functionality either. You'll be able to decide which reader you want to download based on which bookstore you want to be able to buy from.

Which is a damned sight different from the Nook and Kindle where you are locked into the B&N and Amazon bookstores and applications because it's baked into the device.
  • Reply 32 of 107
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:

As far as I know, the big difference is that you cannot buy a book through the Kindle app, you have to use Safari.
  • Reply 33 of 107
    Quote:

No, the iPad isn't going to ship with the iBookstore. So the iPad technically doesnt' have native eBook functionality either. You'll be able to decide which reader you want to download based on which bookstore you want to be able to buy from.

Which is a damned sight different from the Nook and Kindle where you are locked into the B&N and Amazon bookstores and applications because it's baked into the device.

You sure about that? The Apple site clearly references iBooks as one of the key features. http://www.apple.com/ipad/features/

Where does it say the iPad won't ship with the iBook reader? If the iPad comes with the iBook app, then it has native eBook reader functionality.
  • Reply 34 of 107
    Quote:

At least with the Nook you can buy in any other store and sideload the books.

And regarding the iPad and Kindle/B&N apps, the iBook Store will be an USA only Store, so it won't be a problem to allow them
  • Reply 35 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post

As far as I know, the big difference is that you cannot buy a book through the Kindle app, you have to use Safari.

Because, I'm guessing, the Kindle app would make you pay through the iTunes payment system like any other iPhone application (even in-app purchases). So it's not that it couldn't be bought through the Kindle app, but that Amazon doesn't want to pay 30% of their $9.99/book revenue stream to Apple for the privilege.
  • Reply 36 of 107
    Quote:

You sure about that? The Apple site clearly references iBooks as one of the key features. http://www.apple.com/ipad/features/

Where does it say the iPad won't ship with the iBook reader? If the iPad comes with the iBook app, then it has native eBook reader functionality.

From your link:

Quote:

iBooks

The iBooks app is a great new way to read and buy books.1 Download the free app from the App Store and buy everything from classics to best sellers from the built-in iBookstore.

• Reply 37 of 107
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:

I'm not sure if it is stated anywhere, but I definitely remember Jobs saying in the Keynote that it will be an app in the App Store that can be downloaded. He definitely made it sound like the app will not be shipping with the iPad.
  • Reply 38 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by esummers View Post

Although unlikely... it would be interesting if the iBookStore allowed authors to sell direct.

That would be the ultimate solution, though surely reached after many obstacles.

Of course, any "smart" author(s) would learn to make the text a more "interactive" experience -- dress their work up as a game, text adventure, puzzle, slideshow, etc. -- anything to turn their work into an "app" itself.

For now, the iBookStore is the ultimate gateway.
  • Reply 39 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

I'm not sure if it is stated anywhere, but I definitely remember Jobs saying in the Keynote that it will be an app in the App Store that can be downloaded. He definitely made it sound like the app will not be shipping with the iPad.

Wow, I always assumed it would come with the iPad (not that it's such a bid deal to download it from the app store) and never bothered to check. It features so prominently as one of it's core features, you'd think it would ship with the iPad.
  • Reply 40 of 107
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:

Wow, I always assumed it would come with the iPad (not that it's such a bid deal to download it from the app store) and never bothered to check. It features so prominently as one of it's core features, you'd think it would ship with the iPad.

Yeah, I was kind of surprised by it not being included too, especially how much of an emphasis is being made of it. But I'm also wondering about the iBookstore too. It sounds like it is integrated in the iBooks app. Does that mean there won't be a Book Store in iTunes, like there is an App Store?