Barnes & Noble announces intent to release iPad e-reader app

Comments

• Reply 41 of 107
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Wow, I always assumed it would come with the iPad (not that it's such a bid deal to download it from the app store) and never bothered to check. It features so prominently as one of it's core features, you'd think it would ship with the iPad.

My guess is that it's not shipped with the ipad because it's an USA feature
  • Reply 42 of 107
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by esummers View Post

Although unlikely... it would be interesting if the iBookStore allowed authors to sell direct.

A good publisher provides a lot of services that your average author isn't interested in providing themselves. Dan Brown, for example, has said he has no interest in being in the publishing business. Lesser selling authors that could save a few bucks marketing their own books don't sell enough for that to do them much good.

As a corollary, TuneCore lets almost anyone publish their own music to the iTunes music store for a small fee, but the vast majority of songs in the iTMS have zero sales. <shrug>

It's the same problem on both platforms: If nobody knows what to look for or where to find it, how are they going to buy it?
  • Reply 43 of 107
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Yeah, I was kind of surprised by it not being included too, especially how much of an emphasis is being made of it. But I'm also wondering about the iBookstore too. It sounds like it is integrated in the iBooks app. Does that mean there won't be a Book Store in iTunes, like there is an App Store?

Yeah, based on this information, it sounds like there won't be an iBookStore in iTunes. But iTunes will still back up you're iPad (presumably). Kinda weird.
  • Reply 44 of 107
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

My guess is that it's not shipped with the ipad because it's an USA feature

And the eventual UK version will be downloaded from the UK iTunes store that conforms to UK licensing and reseller laws... Just like with video and music downloads.
  • Reply 45 of 107
    lostkiwilostkiwi Posts: 640member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Official AppStore Application Submission

Name: Barnes & Noble Ebook Reader

Developer: Barnes & Noble

In-App-Purchasing: YES

***** REJECTED *****

Have a nice day!

AppStore Approval Manager

Heh.

Nice! This is much better than the typical "Just change your bookstore, not a big deal" meme that is so common now.

Good work!
  • Reply 46 of 107
    merlinwmerlinw Posts: 35member
    Quote:

Negatively?!?! Me?!?!

I was simply going by track record.

I don't believe Apple has ever allowed an App to be approved that in turn allowed the user to perform IN APP PURCHASES songs from any of the major iTunes competitors same for TV Shows and Movies. Somehow I think Apple has that all locked up... however since the SDK now provided developers a method of implementing in APP purchases maybe this has/will change... Somehow I still wouldn't see B&N or Amazon or any other mass marketer of digital media content participating in the system (unless they pass along (tack on) the 'apple cut' to the final selling price call it an Apple Tax if you will.

I could be wrong about this since it's not exactly something I follow that closely but I'm betting I'm not. But if Apple was to approve a B&N app that allowed the person to do in app purchasing via the B&N store instead of the iTunes Book Store I'd be very surprised.

I agree totally, can we buy music or videos, from another source? Yes, but it has to be loaded from your own computer. Can you buy music from Amazon, or others and load it directly to the IPhone or IPod Touch? Of course not, it would cut into profits. Any apps around that let you do that. No.
  • Reply 47 of 107
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Interesting that both Amazon and B&N have made an attempt to stay relevant by releasing apps for the App Store, but it does seem to indicate that they are unable to fight the iPad/iPhone/iPod touch juggernaut. You don't see Apple releasing apps for Blackberry or the Android Market to pick up a few pennies here and there, do you?
  • Reply 48 of 107
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:

And why there will be a lot of Kindles/Nooks for $100 or less?

Peoples will sell like crazies to buy an iPad?

To a certain extent. I think that 27% or so said they would. Something like that.

I would have bought a Kindle if it was $100 when it came out. Otherwise, it's not worth it to me, as I have no problem reading books on my iPhone.

But I will be getting an iPad.
  • Reply 49 of 107
    Quote:

Negatively?!?! Me?!?!

I don't believe Apple has ever allowed an App to be approved that in turn allowed the user to perform IN APP PURCHASES songs from any of the major iTunes competitors same for TV Shows and Movies. Somehow I think Apple has that all locked up... however since the SDK now provided developers a method of implementing in APP purchases maybe this has/will change... Somehow I still wouldn't see B&N or Amazon or any other mass marketer of digital media content participating in the system (unless they pass along (tack on) the 'apple cut' to the final selling price call it an Apple Tax if you will.

I could be wrong about this since it's not exactly something I follow that closely but I'm betting I'm not. But if Apple was to approve a B&N app that allowed the person to do in app purchasing via the B&N store instead of the iTunes Book Store I'd be very surprised.

Why are you talking about songs here? This has nothing to do with that.

And, by the way, you're not entirely correct either. There are apps from groups, I have several, that allow you to get their music in their apps, sometimes as streaming, without having to go through the iTunes store.

Books have not been something that Apple has wrapped the company's fortunes around. You really think they would remove all the book reading programs and stand-alone books from the deices and store? I don't.
  • Reply 50 of 107
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

To a certain extent. I think that 27% or so said they would. Something like that.

No, 27% would have bought and ipad over their current ereader, not that they will sell their ereader and buy and iPad
  • Reply 51 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

The KIndle app on the iPhone doesn't compete with the iPhones native eBook functionality because the iPhone doesn't have native eBook functionality. With the iPad, it's a whole other story.

But if AI is correct, you have to download Apple's bookstore app.

That means it DOESN'T have native functionality as defined by Apple, which means functionality supplied WITH the device, and not removable.

It's an option.
  • Reply 52 of 107
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Interesting that both Amazon and B&N have made an attempt to stay relevant by releasing apps for the App Store, but it does seem to indicate that they are unable to fight the iPad/iPhone/iPod touch juggernaut. You don't see Apple releasing apps for Blackberry or the Android Market to pick up a few pennies here and there, do you?

Well there are off the top of my head TWO very good reasons for this...

1. For some strange reason iTunes won't recognize any other tablet! (hmmm)

2. They don't have to!

Thing of it is...

A few years from now (maybe sooner, maybe later) someone high up in the government not already bribed (err not already lobbied) is going to take notice that Apple has become the de-facto source for all forms of digitally marketed media.. Music, Movies, TV Shows, Books, Magazines, Audiobooks, Comic Books, Newspapers, etc and is perhaps gonna ask some serious questions about Apples business practices.
  • Reply 53 of 107
    Quote:

No, 27% would have bought and ipad over their current ereader, not that they will sell their ereader and buy and iPad

There was a report where some percentage like that said they would.
  • Reply 54 of 107
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:

Negatively?!?! Me?!?!

It will likely work like the B&N Bookstore app currently works on the iPhone. Yes B&N already has an approved bookstore app on the iPhone. You can browse books and add them to the cart in the app and you are transferred to Safari when you are ready to checkout. Like the current iPhone App, I doubt the new app will feature true in app purchasing because Apple would have to be given a cut, however everything but the actual transaction can be performed in the app.
  • Reply 55 of 107
    Quote:

A few years from now (maybe sooner, maybe later) someone high up in the government not already bribed (err not already lobbied) is going to take notice that Apple has become the de-facto source for all forms of digitally marketed media.. Music, Movies, TV Shows, Books, Magazines, Audiobooks, Comic Books, Newspapers, etc and is perhaps gonna ask some serious questions about Apples business practices.

If Apple ever manages to do that, then sure, perhaps they should have to spin off the service. But that would be a problem as well. What if a competitor then bought it?

Not so simple.

But in addition, natural monopolies are allowed. That is, monopolies that have grown from internal growth, rather than from purchases of other companies. So Apple likely would be required to, as a monopoly in that area, allow some manner of competition.

I think they could handle it.
  • Reply 56 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

It will likely work like the B&N Bookstore app currently works on the iPhone. Yes B&N already has an approved bookstore app on the iPhone. You can browse books and add them to the cart in the app and you are transferred to Safari when you are ready to checkout. Like the current iPhone App, I doubt the new app will feature true in app purchasing because Apple would have to be given a cut, however everything but the actual transaction can be performed in the app.

The "cut" is the difficulty. I've bought a few books using the Kindle app, and a couple with the B&N app. They're more trouble than some others, but work well enough for what it is.

I guess it all comes down to whether the price from one is much different than the price from another; what the DRM allows; the reading experience, etc.
  • Reply 57 of 107
    Quote:

Why are you talking about songs here? This has nothing to do with that.

And, by the way, you're not entirely correct either. There are apps from groups, I have several, that allow you to get their music in their apps, sometimes as streaming, without having to go through the iTunes store.

Did you miss the MASS MARKETERS that I went out of my way to emphasize? (since I knew very well that individual bands were doing sales) I know you had to have seen it since you included it in your quote... What I'm talking about is MASS DIGITAL MUSIC SELLERS (thousands or millions of different titles or tracks) and somehow I think you knew that all along.

If Steven King wanted to make all of his books for sale via an APP (and had the authority to do so) then yes Apple is going to allow it... Even if some never heard of author wants to sell THEIR works via an APP then sure Apple isn't going to stop them.

This I thought would have been made fairly clear to most all readers when wrote:

" B&N or Amazon or any other mass marketer of digital media content "

I even did over the top EMPHASIS on mass marketer because I knew if I didn't people would throw up examples of individual artists/individuals selling their own content. Oh well even when you try to stop people from throwing up cases that aren't pertinent to the main argument.

Quote:

Books have not been something that Apple has wrapped the company's fortunes around. You really think they would remove all the book reading programs and stand-alone books from the deices and store? I don't.

Again we seem to have a hard time keep on track here...

- This is not about APPS that ONLY allow one to READ competitors ebooks

- This is ALL about APP that would allow users to buy content from MASS MARKETERS other that iTunes.

My point is Apple would NEVER allow an APP that provided a method of buying books from Amazon or B&N ... not WITHOUT Apple getting their 30% cut which something that neither Amazon nor B&N could likely be able to do given the already publicized pricing data.

Then again Apple would likely STILL deny such APPs even if it did agree to giving Apple its cut.
  • Reply 58 of 107
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Competition aside, variety aside, choice aside, doesn't B&N have their own ereader "The Nook"? What stock are they putting in their eco system of Nook and B&N Bookstore versus Apple's iPad and iBookstore? Is the handwriting already on the wall for these folks even before Apple has sold their first iPad?

One word: "WOW!"

They profit from the ebooks not ereaders.
  • Reply 59 of 107
    munciemuncie Posts: 47member
    Quote:

I've owned their machines since my first SE30!

What a beautiful machine. I remember upgrading from an SE to the SE/30. The 40mb hard drive and the high density floppy drive were huge.
  • Reply 60 of 107
    Quote:

If Apple ever manages to do that, then sure, perhaps they should have to spin off the service. But that would be a problem as well. What if a competitor then bought it?

Not so simple.

But in addition, natural monopolies are allowed. That is, monopolies that have grown from internal growth, rather than from purchases of other companies. So Apple likely would be required to, as a monopoly in that area, allow some manner of competition.

I think they could handle it.

WOW....

Don't get me wrong I like Apple products and have been purchasing them for years. That being said.... the idea that Apple could (and yes this is a long shot) one day control all of the digital distribution of movies, music, TV episodes (ones put up for sale by the studio) , books, audiobooks, comic books, NEWSPAPERS, magazines, SCHOOLBOOKS, etc, etc makes me extremely upset. And warning bells should be going off in everyone else's heads (Apple Fan or not).

Based on your reaction to the concept you act as if it would be an okay thing to let happen if it were to occur.

I certainly hope I'm just reading you wrong...

Oh and I couldn't resist...

Quote:

natural monopolies are allowed. That is, monopolies that have grown from internal growth, rather than from purchases of other companies

Tell that to AT&T (the REAL one that was started back in 1877 - aka "Ma Bell") :LOL:

Yes I know Government created regulated monopolies are not the same thing....