Apple to accept U.S. iPad preorders starting at 8:30 a.m. Eastern

Comments

• Reply 41 of 109
    Quote:

the slate looks pretty cool and the new Dell Streak looks better than both the slate and the ipad.

So the main factor behind your buying decision is how good it looks?

Super.
  • Reply 42 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

Could be worse if you live in Alaska or Hawaii

Worse still for those of us who live outside the U.S., where we don't even get to order... we're faced with an inexplicable wait that we've only rarely been faced with before. With the iPhone we waited here in Canada for non-Apple reasons, but in this case it's 100% Apple. Guess the US media is more important to Apple's sales strategy, but it's galling to have to wait for exactly the same hardware+software unit in marginally different packaging.
  • Reply 43 of 109
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by debusoh View Post

Me too. I wouldn't get the 3g version if it weren't for the fact that there is no contract and a month of access is only $15. Great for when we go on vacation. For an extra $130 over the life of the device, it is great to have that option.

My question is whether the 3G contract has to be active for the GPS to work. I'm hoping not.
  • Reply 44 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ElmCityWeb View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post

i was going to order one of these things this morning (been planning on it for about a week now), but, announcements from HP and Dell have me pausing... the slate looks pretty cool and the new Dell Streak looks better than both the slate and the ipad... i think i am going to give my amex a break and wait a few more weeks...

Super.

No, "super cool" apparently... I'm a middle-aged guy who uses 'cool' too often, so I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that someone calling a device "pretty cool" is also way past their best-before date. Like most Apple devices, the iPad will either flop or redefine the look, feel, and functionality that everyone wants. My money's on the latter.
  • Reply 45 of 109
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ElmCityWeb View Post

Super.

You can tell by looking that both the alternatives he mentions use a normal aspect ratio, while the 'Pad uses a CRT-era aspect ratio.
  • Reply 46 of 109
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

You can tell by looking that both the alternatives he mentions use a normal aspect ratio, while the 'Pad uses a CRT-era aspect ratio.

Oh, like a 1024 x 768 standard resolution, the same as the majority of (non widescreen) LCD displays out there. With the exception of wide-screen movies, nothing using 19:6 - nothing. I don't mind watching a movie with the letterbox, but i'd very much mind most web sites requiring more vertical scrolling than necessary. Be careful of defining what is "normal", your preference is not normal, nor is widescreen an industry (or even dominant) standard

1024 x 768 and the ratio inherent makes perfect sense and makes for a nicer shaped device.
  • Reply 47 of 109
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GrangerFX View Post

Are you saying that we can't preorder the 3G model first-thing Friday morning? When can we preorder the 3G?

I am with you on this one. I want to pre-order the 3g 64 GB iPad. Not this wifi thingy.
  • Reply 48 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Pretty clear based on what source? The point of no contract is you can drop or switch the service whenever you like, but I bet they charge an activation fee to discourage you from dropping and restarting every other month.

I am - perhaps naively - going by the assumption that it will be a radical new way of dealing with customers that ATT will offer us (that Jobs was presumably exulting about, at the keynote).

If it is some kind minor admin fee, I can understand that, but an activation fee, esp. at the usual levels, would be a huge disappointment.
  • Reply 49 of 109
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Store is down.
  • Reply 50 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aestival View Post

No, "super cool" apparently... I'm a middle-aged guy who uses 'cool' too often, so I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that someone calling a device "pretty cool" is also way past their best-before date. Like most Apple devices, the iPad will either flop or redefine the look, feel, and functionality that everyone wants. My money's on the latter.

To each his own. I've bought things before because they looked cool, or even Super Cool, but they didn't cost $500+

My money is also on the iPad at least doing well for the forseeable future. The potential is there for it to do great. What exactly does that "great" involve is up for debate.
  • Reply 51 of 109
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I don't see the appeal myself but yay for Apple for trying to push technology forward. Maybe (probably) when I see one in person I will want one.

Edit: when will the bookstore come to iTunes? That is something I can understand the appeal of.
  • Reply 52 of 109
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post

i was going to order one of these things this morning (been planning on it for about a week now), but, announcements from HP and Dell have me pausing... the slate looks pretty cool and the new Dell Streak looks better than both the slate and the ipad... i think i am going to give my amex a break and wait a few more weeks...

Please tell me you don't mean this is your iPad killer. If the announcement of this thing is enough to cause you to rethink your iPad order, I don't think the iPad is right for you. One less person in line.
  • Reply 53 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

Oh, like a 1024 x 768 standard resolution, the same as the majority of (non widescreen) LCD displays out there. With the exception of wide-screen movies, nothing using 19:6 - nothing. I don't mind watching a movie with the letterbox, but i'd very much mind most web sites requiring more vertical scrolling than necessary. Be careful of defining what is "normal", your preference is not normal, nor is widescreen an industry (or even dominant) standard

1024 x 768 and the ratio inherent makes perfect sense and makes for a nicer shaped device.

Actually, wide screen movies rarely use 16:9.

And that "nothing" includes most all television programs. And majority of LCD displays use the regular modern widescreen aspect ratio.

And WRT websites, if used in portrait mode, they would require LESS scrolling, not more.

Any more?
  • Reply 54 of 109
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

I will be looking for the gotchas. Like a $45 'activation fee' whenever you want that one month of access. Also, does AT&T check your credit like when you get an iPhone? This can ding your credit score.

A credit check can ding your credit score? Have you seen that happening?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

I'm not sure where that guy got his info. I think it was pretty clear $15 no contract in/ out whenever you need it. I doubt there would be an activation fee. What would be the point of no contract if you spent $300+ for only 6 months of internet because you turned it on and of. That would be a shi*** deal and adds no value in relative savings.

This is a telecommunications giant you're talking about here, that is their style. I will wait and see.

Quote:

It seems like there aren't a whole lot of non widescreen LCDs sold anymore.

I don't think the "age" of an aspect ratio makes it more or less valid, that's a very silly assertion. The best shape is the one that suits its purposes. I personally think 1.5:1 would be the best all-around ratio for a tablet, picking a ratio at either extreme to best fit just one of its many uses seems silly to me. A ratio that's perfect for books is a lot less than ideal for wide videos, a ratio that's perfect for wide videos is a lot less than ideal for books.
  • Reply 55 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

G.O A.W.A.Y.
  • Reply 56 of 109
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Did anyone notice that the Apple Store is down--Coming Back Soon.
  • Reply 57 of 109
    Quote:

Please don't get drawn into an argument about aspect ratios--you can check previous threads about the iPad.
  • Reply 58 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

G.O A.W.A.Y.

Your wish is not my command.

Take some personal responsibility. Folks will not comply with your unreasonable demands.

Use your own initiative and killfile me.
  • Reply 59 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

G.O A.W.A.Y.

Ditto "

Ditto "

Ditto "
  • Reply 60 of 109
    palex9palex9 Posts: 105member
    32 gb wifi version, yeah!