Tight iPad supply has Apple turning down volume orders for businesses

Comments

• Reply 21 of 80
    caljomaccaljomac Posts: 122member
    The only people this'll hurt is super-uber-mega nerds and microsoft.....
  • Reply 22 of 80
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Yes, certain Apple doomsayers that considered the iPad an epic fail on this forum come to mind.

Who has said that the 'Pad would be an epic fail?
  • Reply 23 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

200,000, 600,000, 300,000, 700,000, but you're limited to two... You too businesses... Hardware delay rumors, software delays...

For Pete sake's does anyone out there know what the heck is going on? "And the truth shall set you free!"

Ditto to what you wrote.
  • Reply 24 of 80
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

Thanks. There's a huge difference between posting inconvenient truths and violating forum rules.

Well, when you do post any such thing as an inconvenient truth let me know.
  • Reply 25 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Well the Apple store isn't exactly crashing like some predicted. I don't believe pre orders are going to be all that high, I think people are going to want to see this device first before buying one.

Even at the lowest cost of 500.00 with a few small accessories going to bring this to 600.00 with tax. In this economy large groups of consumers aren't going to give out a min of 600.00 without at least giving this device a try or waiting until some real consumer reviews come along. The lowest 3G model someone is looking at close to 700.00 before they get out the door.

Well, I ordered one this morning —32G, a case, wireless keyboard, and 6' power adapter for $802. I'm only one customer but I don't agree with your post.
  • Reply 26 of 80
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RCO3 View Post

Your assertion is not supported by recent history.

Please, people, PLEASE stop quoting these guys. It renders the ignore list useless - which is what they want.

I have to agree, been posting that something needs to be done. Helps if you use your ignore list.
  • Reply 27 of 80
    reliasonreliason Posts: 135member
    I hope there IS a limited number of units... I have a bet on with a co-worker that before 5pm EST, apple will stop taking Pre-orders....

I have ordered mine, got my delivery confirmation, so, I'm good.
  • Reply 28 of 80
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

It won't matter for a while. iGenius has been banned.
  • Reply 29 of 80
    reliasonreliason Posts: 135member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Hell, it would be a huge surprise if YKW ever posted even a shred of truth.
  • Reply 30 of 80
    yeap, 16gb ipad (wifi only) and tri-folding case, best $600 i spent thus far!
  • Reply 31 of 80
    s4mb4s4mb4 Posts: 267member
    ordered mine.... i wonder if fedex will come on 4-3 or the following monday....
  • Reply 32 of 80
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    The best way to sell something is to have people believe there is a limited quantity and high demand.

This is one of the oldest retail tricks in the books.

Don't worry, there will be plenty of tablets to go round.

Smart thinking people will wait until next year anyways - when it's worth getting one.

Who buys Rev.1 anything? Especially from Apple? geez...
  • Reply 33 of 80
    shubiduashubidua Posts: 157member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Problem is, as obnoxious as you seem to find him, he doesn't break the forum rules and make personal attacks or resort to name calling.

Apparently he did.
  • Reply 34 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

It kills me to say this but he is right. There are Apple fans that will buy almost anything Apple as soon as it is released. Now, how apple built that loyalty and how many of these fans exist is a whole different story.

There are a lot of Apple Developers (including me) who need to buy iPads so they can test their apps on the device. I suspect most of us will also buy 3G versions when they become available.

• Reply 35 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

It won't matter for a while. iGenius has been banned.

While it's sad it had to come to this -- since healthy debate is a very good thing -- this guy had to go because he added little or nothing, but constantly sucked out the oxygen from threads.

Thanks, mods. \
  • Reply 36 of 80
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

There a lot of Apple Developers (including me) who need to buy iPads so they can test their apps on the device. I suspect most of us will also buy 3G versions when they become available.

Yep, I don't need one other than for that same reason, but I'm waiting for the 3G only.

m
  • Reply 37 of 80
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

The best way to sell something is to have people believe there is a limited quantity and high demand.

This is one of the oldest retail tricks in the books.

Don't worry, there will be plenty of tablets to go round.

Smart thinking people will wait until next year anyways - when it's worth getting one.

Who buys Rev.1 anything? Especially from Apple? geez...

1) I'd say the best way to sell something is to produce something people want at a price they deem reasonable for the product. It seems Apple has a winner on both of those fronts as tablets have been this popular before or priced so low.

2) I'm not sure how you can know there will be plenty of product. We've seen iPhone stock be in short supply, even months after launching. You can only make so many per day.

3) Why is not worth getting this year? Where will the worth be coming from?

4) Next year the new model will be Rev. 1 for it, too, with new HW that could be faulty. You take that risk with all CE, but at least with quality companies you have a method for getting them replaced or repaired under warranty.
  • Reply 38 of 80
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

While it's sad it had to come to this -- since healthy debate is a very good thing -- this guy had to go because he added little or nothing, but constantly sucked out the oxygen from threads.

Thanks, mods. \

Now he IS unemployed.
  • Reply 39 of 80

He/she has no need to be - the results will be what they will be. Then some people will be wrong and some will be right. I don't suspect the wrong people, no matter who they are, will be willing to move on. They'll just troll here to stir up more responses. I wouldn't be surprised if they work for the blog itself.

To whit: someone above made a neat point about Apple drones not posting in Windows forums. Why don't we do one of those flash mob things and go bombard a carefully chosen windows forum that talks up windows products? It would be fun and interesting.
  • Reply 40 of 80
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shubidua View Post

Apparently he did.

Seriously - is he banned?

I wrote this previously but decided to hold back. Hope the ban lasts. He was worse than teckstud imo.

It amazes me how someone can come across on an open forum as so utterly unpleasant. I mean, some people have the social grace of a pesky mosquito. Some people can single handedly make a party a wholly unpleasant place to be for everyone else purely through their tone and unpleasant demeanour. Some people suffer from a terrible mix of contrarianism and arrogance which manifests itself as an childlike compulsion to stand out, prove others wrong and generally be demeaning without adding anything of value to the discourse.

The AI forums are affected by people like that and it is a shame. The hijacking of threads by such people exposes the problem with open and democratic forums. I have chaired many professional meetings and debates and in order to keep the discussion on topic, and most importantly, democratic, the participants need to be kept in line and prevented from taking over by sheer force of personality or lack of self control.