No. 1 planned use for Apple iPad: working on the go

Comments

• Reply 41 of 166
    reliasonreliason Posts: 135member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Other than Entourage (epic fail for me..glad we're getting real outlook) the MacBU has done pretty well. Perhaps they can even fix up Office Mobile to not suck so much on the iPad.

Well, since MS has to re-write Office Mobile from the ground up anyway for Windows Phone 7 Series [I just like typing that totally ludicrous name]. I wonder if they will write Office Mobile in Silverlight or XNA?

:-)
  • Reply 42 of 166
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,861member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by reliason View Post

As a hospital IT user. Getting doctors to use technology is like getting 5 year olds to eat their peas.

Well, yes, but that's only because, if they use the technology, they will have to do it themselves. So much easier to "not know how" and just have someone else do it. Not that all MDs are like that, but quite a few of them, although, their given reason is usually that they are, "too busy with patients."
  • Reply 43 of 166
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I don't care what people say will be their number 1 use. Actually no.1 use will be web browsing. Second will likely be gaming / app using. Magazine and book reading 3rd. Working 4th.

iBooks will get some use in the U.S. but as I've just discovered iBooks is currently U.S. only. Which actually is surprisingly going to stop me from buying an iPad - until that policy changes. Despite the fact that I think iBooks will be a rip off. I'll would have used it to read all those classic (free) books I've never gotten round to reading.
  • Reply 44 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Its easy to yell 'FAIL' from your parents' basement.

That's 'bumper sticker' material!
  • Reply 45 of 166
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

I think he means the versions on the iPad. Importing seems to be there, but not exporting.

Numbers on iPad

Keynote on iPad

I'd say it'll be there. iWork for Mac and iWork.com both have export options for Powerpoint and Excel formats.
  • Reply 46 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Roos24 View Post

It's its Tech, ITS and not IT'S. Got that?

Nice!!
  • Reply 47 of 166
    pjb00pjb00 Posts: 16member
    FWIW, you could also say that 83% said they intend to use it for entertainment purposes (if you consider watching movies / media and playing games both entertainment).

But, whatever, personally I still can't see my self seriously using this for anything work related on the go. Simply not flexible/powerful enough and an iPhone fits in my pocket better.
  • Reply 48 of 166
    woohoo!woohoo! Posts: 291member
    Most enterprise people will not take to a Tablet or else the market would have been flooded with them already. Tablets have been around for quite some time, it's not a new trend what so ever.

A real keyboard and the screen being held up on it's own is essential to enterprises needs.

They will use a netbook instead if price is problem or they don't need a lot of performance.

For the iPad the limitations are these:

64GB to limiting for storage.

No Ethernet port for those places where security is a issue.

Can't run software outside of the App Store.

No Flash

What company in their right mind is going to lose business because they insist on not being compatible with everyone else?

Apple can do what they want because they are a consumer products company, enterprise has more open and other needs that is better served by the Windows PC and RIMs of the world who cater to them better.

The iPad or any tablet being adopted wide scale by enterprise is a pipe dream, schools yes, enterprise no.

Tablet will find niche spots here and there in enterprise, like perhaps hospitals if the matching Windows software is developed, but not widespread adoption unless a easier and better way to enter text is found that doesn't require typing.

Apple is sort of flaky and changes things up all the time, so it's hardware isn't really dependent enough for a lot of business to rely upon using it. Consumers can accept that rapid change, but business needs to know their hardware is going to function as expected for decades if needed to recoup it's investment.
  • Reply 49 of 166
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by reliason View Post

Well, since MS has to re-write Office Mobile from the ground up anyway for Windows Phone 7 Series [I just like typing that totally ludicrous name]. I wonder if they will write Office Mobile in Silverlight or XNA?

:-)

Heh, maybe they'll use monodevelop to port to the iphone...
  • Reply 50 of 166
    benicebenice Posts: 382member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JustReelFilms View Post

An iPad as a thin client isn't a good idea. Business users prefer a poweful laptop to create spreadsheets, word documents and presentation. When on the go, they prefer to carry laptop bags with power bricks so they let the people around them know that "Hey this is my spot. Don't let me catch you unplug or I'll trip you with my cord!" Business users with their laptop look more professional. But the iPad doesn't even have a lot holes around it and makes it look like a virgin or a child's toy. How are you going to put a kensington lock on the iPad? Also, the laptop is much easier to spot than the iPad. The iPad is so thin it can be misplaced under a pile of documents, in binders and folders, under a book, under a mat, under a laptop, etc. The extra thickness of a laptop makes it easier to be seen. Also, a laptop doubles as a warmer, it can be put on the seat while driving as it runs flash in the background. With the iPad's energy efficient design, I doubt it would give a lot of heat like laptops do plus it might break if you sit on it.

In conclusion, laptops are still better.

Wow yeah that's exactly what we do; we focus on our computer hardware almost all the time and go around taking our business competitors out by simply tripping them up with our laptop cords, therefore justifying buying the largest appliance we can to assist us in our duties.
  • Reply 51 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post

A native Microsoft Office (and specially PowerPoint) for the iPad is a must. As is a USB port for the remote control and to share files. Hopefully in the near future. Meanwhile waiting...

Seriously, dude. You've insisted that the iPad MUST be capable of running native presentations from its video out for YEARS. It's here (in two weeks). It will do that. You got it. Can you PLEASE stop telling US what it MUST be? It's not like Steve Jobs reads these comments** and is changing product strategy to meet your INCREDIBLY repetitive wishes. If you really want to affect what Apple produces, tell them. As for the remote, what the hell does it need USB for? Doesn't it kinda defeat the point of a wireless remote if you have to plug in a dongle? Isn't that what Bluetooth is FOR?

I'm curious, though - when the iPad is here, in your hands, you've got native Keynote (and maybe PP, if MS goes for it) presentations out of the video port and a remote using Bluetooth - will you have nothing left to say here? Or will you find some other flaw with it, real or perceived, to justify not buying one, and then complain about it here?

**I think it would be funny as HELL to find out he was the puppetmaster behind Teckstud and his various aliases. Hard to imagine Jobs being either that bored or that dumb, though.
  • Reply 52 of 166
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

I think he means the versions on the iPad. Importing seems to be there, but not exporting.

Numbers on iPad

Keynote on iPad

Thanks. Yes, that's what I meant. Pages on the iPad exports because SJ said it would. Keynote and Numbers do not. I hope that Apple either makes a Windows Keynote viewer or updates iWork.com to unable full presentation of Keynote files. That would be something especially nice for us iWork users.
  • Reply 53 of 166
    I'm reading a lot of hopeful speculation about Office here,

but I'm almost sure that Office won't make it to the iPad.

Such a move goes completely contrary to their current strategy with WP7 and their past legacy with tablet computers.

I just can't see it, it doesn't make sense for MS.

Instead, they would probably try to brew a contender to the iPad (should it ever gain mass acceptance) with native Office support.

After all, Office is such a key function that people would likely gravitate towards something a clunkier with Office than an otherwise better contender without native Office support.

If the iPad gains any significance (unit sales in the millions) a few years later, maybe MS will put it's foot down.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by benice View Post

Wow yeah that's exactly what we do; we focus on our computer hardware almost all the time and go around taking our business competitors out by simply tripping them up with our laptop cords, therefore justifying buying the largest appliance we can to assist us in our duties.

I think he was being ironical. Yes, ironical.
  • Reply 54 of 166
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'd say it'll be there. iWork for Mac and iWork.com both have export options for Powerpoint and Excel formats.

That is and interesting point that I'd thought of. I merely question why they don't currently allow exporting directly on the iPad. I'd like to be able to just tap "Send as Excel" in Numbers as opposed to having to upload to iWork.com and email a link to the file so someone else can download it and make edits. It's just that little "It just works" touch that I'm looking for. I'll do okay without it, but would like to see it if possible. Maybe in an update?
  • Reply 55 of 166
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

Thanks. Yes, that's what I meant. Pages on the iPad exports because SJ said it would. Keynote and Numbers do not. I hope that Apple either makes a Windows Keynote viewer or updates iWork.com to unable full presentation of Keynote files. That would be something especially nice for us iWork users.

If that is the case, which seems odd to have 2 of 3 options export to Powerpoint and Excel, you will at least be able to send to iWork.com and share it to whomever you wish so they can DL the appropriate file type. Perhaps this is an issue with the performance of ARM with huge files and/or a way to promote iWork.com.
  • Reply 56 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The problem that I have with this is many of the more robust functions I use in Keynote do not transfer over to Powerpoint so it can turn into a mess. At least for me I would rather convert it into Quicktime and run it that way.

I wish Apple would simply come up with with a Keynote viewer that can be downloaded or that comes standard on Macs like the powerpoint viewer is in Windows.
  • Reply 57 of 166
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JustReelFilms View Post

An iPad as a thin client isn't a good idea. Business users prefer a poweful laptop to create spreadsheets, word documents and presentation. When on the go, they prefer to carry laptop bags with power bricks so they let the people around them know that "Hey this is my spot. Don't let me catch you unplug or I'll trip you with my cord!"

Business users with their laptop look more professional. But the iPad doesn't even have a lot holes around it and makes it look like a virgin or a child's toy. How are you going to put a kensington lock on the iPad? Also, the laptop is much easier to spot than the iPad.

The iPad is so thin it can be misplaced under a pile of documents, in binders and folders, under a book, under a mat, under a laptop, etc. The extra thickness of a laptop makes it easier to be seen. Also, a laptop doubles as a warmer, it can be put on the seat while driving as it runs flash in the background.

With the iPad's energy efficient design, I doubt it would give a lot of heat like laptops do plus it might break if you sit on it.

In conclusion, laptops are still better.

You missed a couple of other basic problems with the iPad. If you try to throw it like a Frisbee, it's not going to go very far since it's the wrong shape and it's still probably going to break when it hits the ground. For skipping across a lake, a rock is still a better choice, and a lot less expensive. It also doesn't come with a loop for hanging it on your belt, a feature a lot of people need and are going to miss.
  • Reply 58 of 166
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rufwork View Post

I think you're half-way there. People are imagining what they'd like to do with an iPad so that they can justify its purchase.

What people actually do might [not] be surprising. I'm surprised how much I use my iPod touch to check email and surf, so I'm sure there will be a little extra work squeezed in, but I'll still bet most people are just selling themselves on the next k3wl thing.

That's a good point. It's like saying you're buying a pool to swim laps and workout, then when you get it you just jump off the diving board and float around in the sun or something lol.
  • Reply 59 of 166
    ranumranum Posts: 43member
    Quote:

I don't know. I read the description of Numbers on the iPad, and under the "Works Well With Others" section, it states:

Quote:

To share your work, export your spreadsheet as a Numbers file for Mac, Excel file, or PDF document, then email it to anyone.

Sounds to me that Numbers on the iPad will export to Excel, just as Pages will export to Word files.

Keynote has no indication of exporting to PowerPoint, so i would say you're right on that point.
  • Reply 60 of 166
    benicebenice Posts: 382member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AznZOFIA111 View Post

I think he was being ironical. Yes, ironical.

OK, point taken. Tired here and I probably read it wrong.