No. 1 planned use for Apple iPad: working on the go

Comments

• Reply 81 of 166
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vatdoro View Post

All of the businesses I work with are already using iPhones or are in the process of moving to iPhones.

I'm not sure which rock you've been living under for the past 2 years.

It's not a rock. It's his Mom's basement.
  • Reply 82 of 166
    techstudtechstud Posts: 124member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Ah... but Techstud is a more entrenched troll. Bridges would still expose him to the elements - in this case, actual post contributors. No... Techstud's type of breed flourishes best in dark, damp areas such as their parents' basement where the realities of the world cannot penetrate, leaving them free to construct their own abstract, twisted realities. Then their parents can come down and keep them fed as they cannot fend for themselves and enter daylight.

A sad and tortured existence, really...

What's that old saying? - "You spot it, you got it."
  • Reply 83 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vatdoro View Post

All of the businesses I work with are already using iPhones or are in the process of moving to iPhones.

I'm not sure which rock you've been living under for the past 2 years.

Right- well all the ones I know of and the numbers speak for themselve use Blackberries.
  • Reply 84 of 166
    garamondgaramond Posts: 109member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TECHSTUD View Post

Exactly. Practice self-control. Try it - you may like it.

I thought you were banned. Why are you still here?
  • Reply 85 of 166
    joelsaltjoelsalt Posts: 827member
    Quote:

Why do you need a list to ignore in the first place ? Haven't you ever been taught how to skim read? I do it all the time- especially the gang of four's posts. No need to put them on a list- that's so jouvenille.

whotf learns to skim read? No wonder the US education system sucks. They teach kids to skim!

edit: if you actually read all the posts you might have something relevant to add once in a while.
  • Reply 86 of 166
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

I get it. But I don't understand why the software can't check and hide ignored users from properly quoted replies. Even though TechXXX has made quite a name for himself (in all its variations), on here, the person replying and quoting doesn't always know who is on who's ignore list.

Yes, I'd also like to see all posts quoting someone on my ignore list to be ignored as well. it should be an option.
  • Reply 87 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Garamond View Post

I thought you were banned. Why are you still here?

Permanently? Who said that ? Was there an announcement? Do you have a link for that?
  • Reply 88 of 166
    garamondgaramond Posts: 109member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Yes, I'd also like to see all posts quoting someone on my ignore list to be ignored as well. it should be an option.

Indeed!
  • Reply 89 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

Keynote and Numbers do not export to Microsoft Office formats, and while that may be okay with Keynote, Numbers to Excel is really pretty necessary for a lot of users.

Actually, you are wrong. The latest versions of Keynote and Numbers both export in Microsoft Office formats so using iWork on the iPad is a full solution for both business and students (and everyone in between). There is no reason the iPad could not be used for most personal and business uses. Personal choice may say otherwise but the functionality and opportunity is there.
  • Reply 90 of 166
    allblueallblue Posts: 393member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CurtisEMayle View Post

And, while biscuits might not stick on the oleophobic-coated surface, the components are ill-suited to survive a mere 30 minutes in the oven. What a ripoff! I may need to rethink my pre-order.

But it will make an ideal tray to carry drinks from room to room. Just the thing when entertaining corporate clients.
  • Reply 91 of 166
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

Keynote and Numbers do not export to Microsoft Office format

They do.
  • Reply 92 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by reliason View Post

As a hospital IT user. Getting doctors to use technology is like getting 5 year olds to eat their peas.

Having been the Director of Tech development for a Medical School Branch campus, I would definitely agree. On the other hand being a practitioner and a tech guy as well, the problem in the past has been that the solutions developed often solved administrative and coding issues but were really poorly designed to be easy to use at the point of care. Physicians are generally a pragmatic group of folks, if you can save them time on the paper work side and increase time on the patient care side I think they will adopt new methods quickly.

I am hoping that some of the newer solutions on the horizon like (ePocrates EHR) will help keep the practitioners happy.

Steve

PS I am not affiliated with ePocrates just use their current clinical decision making software on my iPod touch
  • Reply 93 of 166
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by allblue View Post

But it will make an ideal tray to carry drinks from room to room...

Hot Cocoa!
  • Reply 94 of 166
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

The problem that I have with this is many of the more robust functions I use in Keynote do not transfer over to Powerpoint so it can turn into a mess.

Exactly. You nailed it down. The problem is that export/import does not work many times as expected. Thus a true native Microsoft Office for the iPad is needed. Because the world uses Office, not iWork. Those are the facts. Sad but true.
  • Reply 95 of 166
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,097member
    Quote:

Right- well all the ones I know of and the numbers speak for themselve use Blackberries.

Hence by your observation, you've concluded then that businesses scoff iPhones? Typical passage from the Book of Techstud. What you see is obviously how everyone else does it.

Most people I know use iPhones for their businesses. Does that mean I can apply your mantra and say that most businesses scoff Blackberries?

It's really unfortunate that you seem to lack the ability to take a step back to see what you do. Quite sad. Life of a troll must really be depriving you.
  • Reply 96 of 166
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JustReelFilms View Post

In conclusion, laptops are still better.

true. But laptops still can't do everything. They are limited in cores and to lover power processors. Their storage options are very limited...

In conclusion, Mac Pros are still better.

• Reply 97 of 166
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bartfat View Post

No one mentioned that the iWork apps only cost $10 each? I have a really hard time imagining that Microsoft would be willing to rewrite their entire Office suite for just $10 for each app. Apple could do it because they didn't rewrite it all; they just simply changed how the user interacted with the application.

Nope. They had to write iWork from scratch. Hint: x86 vs ARM. Got it?
  • Reply 98 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Life of a troll must really be depriving you.

And enabling you with a reason to exist- you seem to thrive on me.

Go back and re-read his comments. I simply repeated what he said. You know where RIM stands in the corporate world- don't you? We're not talking some brownstone boutique business in your local sf either.
  • Reply 99 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by allblue View Post

But it will make an ideal tray to carry drinks from room to room. Just the thing when entertaining corporate clients.

Brilliant! I'm back in.
  • Reply 100 of 166
    daveswdavesw Posts: 406member
    1) Citrix

2) VNC clients

3) I really think people are working on a VMWare or Parallels for the iPad. that would be THE KILLER app for the iPad. imagine being able to run MAC OS X or Windows XP/7 or Linux on your iPad? SWEET.

its going to be slow but whatever