Apple offers guided tours of iPad software with new videos

Comments

• Reply 21 of 124
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Ah..... that one again. ("It's great for my [insert favorite older person here]").

Why not one yourself?

I'm in the same boat. This is great for my mother who has an iMac. I'll be getting her the 3G model for Mother's Day as she travels enough to warrant it. She recently gave away her netbook which she hoped would fill computing void, but as most find out, it doesn't.

I still haven't found a need for myself with my much heavier computing needs and my much smaller window of requirement as I already have a 13" MBP and an iPhone. I'm sure something will be released that will sway me, or perhaps even playing with one in the Apple Store, but as of right now I have no desire to buy one for myself.

PS: What's nice is that their seems to be no activation fee for the AT&T 3G.

PPS: What sucks is trying to walk her through cleaning the HP Mini which apparently has no app for restoring back to factory settings.
  • Reply 22 of 124
    kubekube Posts: 40member
    The Keynote video does not show two features I'm hoping are still there:

1. the ability to draw over the image with your finger

2. the ability to use your finger as a pointer.

I'm hoping this was an oversight in making the demo, and they remain as features.
  • Reply 23 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

The videos are mainly great, I am a bit curios about the always cutting the video when swapping between portrait and landscape, and the iPad and hands sometimes being obviously montaged on top of the legs (the iPad seems to fly at some points)...

The iWork videos are stunning and I really can't wait to use these apps. I have missed a few things though (some of them "announced" by AI):

- I did not see a way to browse, or save to, network shares

- There seems to be no printing

- The "Share" menu contains a mean to send files to iWork.com, but there seems to be no iDisk support, do we really need to close e.g. Pages, open the iDisk app, download a file and then close the iDisk app and start Pages again... seems odd

The iBooks app is extremely basic. No custom bookmarks, no inverted mode, no mean to add notes or remarks, no way to look up terms on the Internet... it does not really convince me yet.

The iTunes app is nice, but the video does not answer my most urgent question: will the iPad be able to access the home sharing feature of iTunes running on my Mac? With 802.11n on board I should not really have to sync everything...?!

I was blown away by the implementation of iWork. This will change my work life in a hugely positive way. (In some ways, Pages and KN are more functional and easy-to-use here than with a keyboard/mouse).

I am so pleased that I pre-ordered mine! Can't wait to get my hands on it.

I did notice that the Keynote video did not mention that I could export to PPT (it only mentioned KN and PDF).
  • Reply 24 of 124
    mrkoolaidmrkoolaid Posts: 106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TiAdiMundo View Post

The videos are very well done.

But I still can't imagine to hold this device all the time for watching a movie. And because Keynote only works in landscape how am I supposed to write? If it lays down flat on my lap it seems to be uncomfortable to look at.

Don't worry, rumour has it that an iPad harness will be released for exactly that purpose.
  • Reply 25 of 124
    allblueallblue Posts: 393member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TiAdiMundo View Post

But I still can't imagine to hold this device all the time for watching a movie.

Have you never read a book for a couple of hours at a time? I would have thought the two things were pretty similar.
  • Reply 25 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

PS: What's nice is that their seems to activation fee for the AT&T 3G.

How did you confirm that?
  • Reply 27 of 124
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Quote:

I did notice that the Keynote video did not mention that I could export to PPT (it only mentioned KN and PDF).

That is correct. Only Pages on the iPad exports to a Microsoft Office file format. Both Keynote and Numbers are restricted to iWork and PDF formats. The only real way around this I am thinking is to use iWork.com and let people download the Microsoft formats from there.
  • Reply 28 of 124
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    I think the iWork apps are going to be the dark horse, and will end up becoming the "killer apps."

On another note, the big difference I've seen with the iPad (iPhone OS) compared to other tablet is the flourishes on UI elements.

With the iPad the UI elements, animations and transitions seem natural. Things move where they're supposed to, they look amazing yet functional, and don't interfere with what you're doing.

It seems that in trying to differentiate themselves, other tablet interfaces have resorted to over-the-top flying, flipping logos that engage in video acrobatics just because they're able to, not because they have to. Things are asymmetric, with interface elements seemingly shot with Dutch angles, which instills a bleak, unstable, frenetic feel to the experience.

It's amazing how subtle differences in UI design can make/break the overall experience. Most vendors are touting hardware, but more often than not people fall in love with the software since that's what they use 95% of the time. However, if Apple really wants to kill they should equip the iPad with 12 USB ports. That always does it.
  • Reply 29 of 124
    Quote:

How did you confirm that?

Haven't confirmed it, hence my use of the word "seems", but it's less than a week from launch and nothing from AT&T or Apple states an activation fee but details all the other fees and activation.
  • Reply 30 of 124
    I just finished watching all of the videos. All I can say is the iPad will be in high demand from everyone in the house. Will we hear of iPad fights between the kids and the adults? I hope not. It just has so many uses, everyone will have their favorite way to use it. And it will always be there just staring at you with that picture display just begging to be picked up.
  • Reply 31 of 124
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Apple or someone needs to make a dock/arm that can let the iPad be in either portrait or landscape mode. Otherwise, one can't dock and use Keynote with the keyboard.
  • Reply 32 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

That is correct. Only Pages on the iPad exports to a Microsoft Office file format. Both Keynote and Numbers are restricted to iWork and PDF formats. The only real way around this I am thinking is to use iWork.com and let people download the Microsoft formats from there.

I truly hope so.

It is a bit weird that it allows us to read PPT/XLS files and edit them in KN/N, but does not allow export in those formats.

I wonder why (when they have been able to allow export of Pages to Word, as you point out).
  • Reply 33 of 124
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheGreatBug View Post

I wouldn't expect it would be that hard to look at. You could lay it on a table, also. And if you have Apple's iPad Case, it'd be easy to prop it up.

Yup, you basically need one of those cases. I wish it had a locking mechanism like a standard desktop keyboard that you could set it an an angle or flat depending on what you like. Maybe in version 2.0
  • Reply 34 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

Apple or someone needs to make a dock/arm that can let the iPad be in either portrait or landscape mode. Otherwise, one can't dock and use Keynote with the keyboard.

You can use a bluetooth keyboard.
  • Reply 35 of 124
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Finally got them to download. Did you see the iBooks App? Granted that was a children's book, but notice how overly simplified that layout is. We are going to have more academic content so we need to see something with tables, figures, pictures with captions, footnotes. Is that going to be possible or are we stuck with nursery rhymes level of sophistication? Frankly what I see here is about the level of complexity I have been able to achieve so far with inDesign's default exporting to ePub format.

???

You really didn't just post that question did you?
  • Reply 36 of 124
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

I'm assuming that if you get a PPT emailed to you, you can open it in Keynote. Since there is no file system on the iPad, and I'd really be surprised if you will be able to sync iWork documents through iTunes, management of iWork documents might get a little tricky even with an iWork or mobileMe account.
  • Reply 37 of 124
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

???

You really didn't just post that question did you?

Can you advise how to format a scientific publication for iPad? Thanks.
  • Reply 38 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Yup, you basically need one of those cases. I wish it had a locking mechanism like a standard desktop keyboard that you could set it an an angle or flat depending on what you like. Maybe in version 2.0

Keyboard Dock when it comes out.

It's funny how there were so many naysayers with this device and now when people see it in action they're singing a different tune.

Did no one actually watch these demos at the pre-release conference in January? I saw that and was instantly sold.

I don't mind the whole iWork thing in fact I prefer it because I only use Pages and Numbers and being able to edit these documents on the fly is perfect for my hardware engineering needs.
  • Reply 39 of 124
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    I'd like to know if iPad users will be able to share documents directly with their Mac, i.e. without having to give Apple a copy via iDisk.
  • Reply 40 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Can you advise how to format a scientific publication for iPad? Thanks.

Make it look just like a magazine but with a 4:3 ratio for a 9.7" display. They have all the tools they need. What you asked for isn't tough to do with ePub. It is impossible with ePub if you want something more interactive, but there is WebKit and Cocoa for that. Your question is akin to asking how a video game can be played on the iPad when your looking at a children's book.