Apple offers guided tours of iPad software with new videos

Comments

• Reply 101 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I did notice that the Keynote video did not mention that I could export to PPT (it only mentioned KN and PDF).

That's because it won't.

On the Mac all the iWork apps export to their MS Office counterparts, but on the iPad only one of them will. Pages exports to Word, but Keynote does NOT export to PowerPoint, and Numbers does NOT export to Excel.
  • Reply 102 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Can you advise how to format a scientific publication for iPad? Thanks.

but I thought I'd give it a go:

http://indesignsecrets.com/from-inde...conference.php

http://www.fastcompany.com//1598347/...adobe-indesign

for the printing discussion:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...light=printing

Just for starters of course....
  • Reply 103 of 124
    Was hoping for some humor along the lines of Python's Holy Grail - when a gorilla hand grabs the origonal page-turner and takes over. YouTube parody PLEASE!
  • Reply 104 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

there is no iPad Interactive Publishing Authoring Software Kit at this point so they'll have to use what they've been using until they or someone makes one.

Gotta wonder what Adobe is thinking about this... how can they expand their publishing software to work brilliantly with the iPad. Should they expand Illustrator or Flash, to produce a book..oops... to produce an iPad app that does more than ePub can offer.

It surprises me that Apple doesn't have an application to make books. And that the iBook reader doesn't support some more sophisticated format. Perhaps the 2 will come together - but when that happens, I'd use Adobe with support for multiple platforms if I had the choice.
  • Reply 105 of 124
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Nice, well produced videos. The iTunes and iBook apps look compelling.

Watching the videos, it looks like it could get quite annoying always turning the device this way and that. I wonder if they should not have made landscape the default orientation, or the only orientation.
  • Reply 106 of 124
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

To be more accurate to his fractured grammar, it should be "God, your annoying."

Which completely changes the meaning, in an amusing way.

I think that certainly is amusing! And a very good 'playing with words'
  • Reply 107 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Maybe I'm missing something here. What authoring environment does someone use to created complex layouts because inDesign isn't cutting it for me?

AFAIK, ePub does not support precission layout and is therefore not well suited for technical books/comics, but rather textbooks like novels which rely mainly in free flowing text and some ocasional picture. But I might be wrong.
  • Reply 108 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

You'll need to provide a trusted authority before I believe data are encrypted on Apple's iDisk servers. I know the communications can be encrypted (using https), but I believe iDisk communications can also be unencrypted (using http) and I don't believe the stored data are encrypted at all on Apple's servers--unless what you put there was already encrypted.

This isn't any different than most on-line services, but that doesn't mean any of them should be trusted.

Reasons why I don't upload anything private. All I've got in my Dropbox are a crapload of Med School notes. If anyone wants to steal them, they're more than welcome...lol

Anyone who puts their bank info into their iDisk/Dropbox/whatever, deserves what they get...
  • Reply 109 of 124
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by masternav View Post

So there is the free app PrinterShare out there...

Yeah, it didn't work with my HP printer.
  • Reply 110 of 124
    svnippsvnipp Posts: 430member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

Apple or someone needs to make a dock/arm that can let the iPad be in either portrait or landscape mode. Otherwise, one can't dock and use Keynote with the keyboard.

This would be really great. Not sure why Apple didn't simply add a couple of side clip/holders to the keyboard dock mounted to a rotating bracket in the center of the back. That way you could dock it in portrait mode and then simply turn the iPad in the dock sideways for landscape use. It would obviously add a bit of bulk to the keyboard dock, but the increased functionality would so be worth it.
  • Reply 111 of 124
    Quote:

I'm planning on taking the iPad along on a cruise in May, for reading books and viewing our photos, and reading e-mail. I'm going to bet that nobody on the ship will tell me I'm an uncool loser, but that a lot of people will ask "is that an iPad?"

Either way, it's a risk I'm willing to take.

How funny... The wife and I are also taking a cruise in May and will be taking our iPad along for similar reasons. I also figure it will be great to watch movies on during the plane rides there and back. I have a feeling that you're also right on the curiosity about the device.

On a related note... The guy who originally posted this said that he teenage son agreed with him? He seems afraid of seeming uncool? Sounds like the poster is probably the teenage son.
  • Reply 112 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Makes sense. At least someone like you can provide a little perspective without saying: "actually you can do that". Thank you.

You would think 3 years in though, they would have addressed something as fundamental as printing. Now that the iPad is here you'll hear more clamoring for printing built into the OS I think.

The automatic downloading of the right driver when you try to print to the office or home printer would be the ultimate solution:

We have found a "HP 2600n Color laser jet" printer nearby, if you would like to download the require software to print to this printer tap "Ok". Otherwise tap "Cancel". And when you did tap Ok the driver would install directly.

Sure, it would take work on Apple's part for it to work this seamlessly, but it would work so fittingly it seems like the only solution to me.

I could be missing something here, but has there really been a huge need for printing from the iPhone? I imagine that this would be quite useful for some individuals, but for the general user? Out of the dozen or so people I know who have an iPhone, I've never had the topic of printing from the phone come up.

Now, I think this is a completely different animal for the iPad. I agree that printing should definitely be integrated into the OS now, and network shares too. I just think that these are features that are just now coming to the table in a significant way. It would not surprise me at all to find both of these items built into OS 4 this summer. I for one am crossing my fingers.
  • Reply 113 of 124
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by svnipp View Post

How funny... The wife and I are also taking a cruise in May and will be taking our iPad along for similar reasons. I also figure it will be great to watch movies on during the plane rides there and back. I have a feeling that you're also right on the curiosity about the device.

On a related note... The guy who originally posted this said that he teenage son agreed with him? He seems afraid of seeming uncool? Sounds like the poster is probably the teenage son.

Ha-ha. Probably. Good observation!
  • Reply 114 of 124
    One of the interesting features in the keynote app originally presented on the date of the iPad unveiling was the virtual laser pointer that you could use while presenting hooked to a projector. There is no mention of it in the guided tour. Any clues?
  • Reply 115 of 124
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by svnipp View Post

How funny... The wife and I are also taking a cruise in May and will be taking our iPad along for similar reasons.

Quote:

Ha-ha. Probably. Good observation!

I've seen plenty of Kindles on cruises in the last couple years. Plenty around the pool in the sun. I would expect you'll see more iPads than eInk devices, even in May, but I wonder how it'll fare in the directly sunlight while wearing sunglasses.
  • Reply 116 of 124
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I've seen plenty of Kindles on cruises in the last couple years. Plenty around the pool in the sun. I would expect you'll see more iPads than eInk devices, even in May, but I wonder how it'll fare in the directly sunlight while wearing sunglasses.

Our last cruise was in October. I don't recall seeing any Kindles, but then it was a Mexico cruise, which is more about drinking than reading.

I hope I'll get the thing in time. My shipping status now shows an "exception" which I take it means in UPS-speak that it has been held up for some reason, they aren't going to tell me why, and they don't know when I'm going to receive it.
  • Reply 117 of 124
    Have to admit I was a bit surprised to hear in the video that Pages CAN BE PURCHASED via the App Store.

Would it have been that difficult to actually include this program in the bundle with the iPad? Would Apple have taken that big of a financial hit to include a necessary bit of software?

The "nickel and dime" routine is a bit tiresome.
  • Reply 118 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JamesGr View Post

Have to admit I was a bit surprised to hear in the video that Pages CAN BE PURCHASED via the App Store.

Would it have been that difficult to actually include this program in the bundle with the iPad? Would Apple have taken that big of a financial hit to include a necessary bit of software?

The "nickel and dime" routine is a bit tiresome.

I think "nickel-and-diming" would be to charge 99¢ for the YouTube, Maps, Stocks, etc. Charging $10 for each app is somewhat out of that league compared to most apps.

Plus, I don't see why Pages would be NECESSARY for the iPad, and if you think so, why Numbers and Keynote are not necessary and therefore okay to sell.
  • Reply 119 of 124
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:

I'm planning on taking the iPad along on a cruise in May, for reading books and viewing our photos, and reading e-mail. I'm going to bet that nobody on the ship will tell me I'm an uncool loser, but that a lot of people will ask "is that an iPad?"

Either way, it's a risk I'm willing to take.

You'll definitely get gawkers. I remember when the original iPhone came out and a month later I went on a cruise around the Baltic. EVERYONE (including TSA at the airports) commented or asked about it. It was kinda cool at first, but got old after a week.

• Reply 120 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

You'll definitely get gawkers. I remember when the original iPhone came out and a month later I went on a cruise around the Baltic. EVERYONE (including TSA at the airports) commented or asked about it. It was kinda cool at first, but got old after a week.

Let's hope it won't be like the MacBook Air fiasco that caused at least one flyer to miss their flight.