7.5M iPhones estimated sold in Q1 2010, users stay in Apple ecosystem

Comments

• Reply 61 of 118
    josh.b.josh.b. Posts: 353member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Well, you do have ~23% of the posts, so we thought you wanted to be the center of attention

I don't. Please stop making nasty accusations.

Please neither read, nor respond to my posts. Please don't initiate insulting posts about me. Please.
  • Reply 62 of 118
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    The iPhone has great user satisfaction, and so do tons of individual apps/games.

If an Android user has spent a couple of bucks on apps that range from clunky messes to ?good enough,? that?s not much incentive to stay. But an iPhone user may have spent a lot more (because there ARE more apps), and have some truly GREAT apps/games that she won?t want to give up.
  • Reply 63 of 118
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I'm getting really tired of the way in which you just casually make stuff up and set it out as if it's fact. At best, you are a serial exaggerator.

I've been reading iPad coverage for days, everything I can get my hands on including in-depth reviews, hardware assessments etc. and I've never heard of any "overheating" problems. Certainly, the way you casually mention it as if it's a known and widespread thing is completely disingenuous.

Similarly, the iPhone battery is one of the best rated batteries in a smart phone bar none, and Apple in general is tops in battery technology for these kinds of devices. Again, to casually mention it the way you do as if it's some kind of known and widespread problem is just wrong. There is no such problem with the iPhone battery. You misrepresent everything here and you do it on other posts over and over again. Either you are just not very skilled in communicating your ideas, or you are purposely trying to fudge the facts.

You can't just off-handedly say stuff and expect to be believed when you have nothing to back it up and a history of sputing such never-ending hyperbolic nonsense.

The overheating seems particularly odd since every review I've read says it stays cool to the touch even when charging. the breakdown looks like there is ample space for passive airflow, potentially doubling as a chamber for the speaker, which is surprisingly impressive for the device.

The WiFI issues seem to only affect a few people and that is par for the course at this point since product seems to have someone complaining about WiFi. A few weeks ago someone called me up complaining that their new iPod Touch couldn't coneect to their WiFI and they had the right password and everything. The network was setup to only allow specific MAC addresses for an extra level of security so it wouldn't connect. Of course, from the user's PoV the lack of connection was Apple's fault.

The iPhone battery complaints are equally odd. The only category I've seen in which the iPhone is regularly beaten is talk talk between the iPhone and CDMA-based smartphone, with 3G enabled because voice on CDMA/CDMA2000 networks use '2G' for voice, regardless. Ironically, the flagship of the Android phones, the Nexus One, has less 3G-enabled talk time than the 3GS according to AnandTech's review.
  • Reply 64 of 118
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    The iPhone has great user satisfaction, and so do tons of individual apps/games.

If an Android user has spent a couple of bucks on apps that range from clunky messes to “good enough,” that’s not much incentive to stay. But an iPhone user may have spent a lot more (because there ARE more apps), and have some truly GREAT apps/games that she won’t want to give up.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orangeoutsider View Post

Yeah, new iPhone and iPad and still can't view flash media just 'cause Apple has a cob up their butts.

Speaking of trolls

Which tablets and smartphones out there can view Flash with smooth performance, good stability/security, and 10 hours of battery life? Which are these other companies you’re thinking of that handled the Flash problem right?

And how many Flash games and Flash web sites really work properly without a mouse and rollover detection and the ability to tell a drag from a scroll? All of them? Or only some of them? Does a finger “just work” in place of the mouse those sites were meant for? Is it a good Flash experience or hit-or-miss ranging to non-functional?

And which Flash media are you worried about not getting? Because popular video sites are rapidly moving away from needing Flash, and there’s hardly a shortage of games for iPhone/iPad either. In fact, the App Store is full of popular Flash games, both free and cheap.
  • Reply 65 of 118
    katonahkatonah Posts: 95member
    In case anyone is thinking of being nasty to me, please don't.

Don't read this comment. Don't read my posts.

Don't be nasty to me, and don't even THINK of being nasty to me.

PLEASE!

• Reply 66 of 118
    cgc0202cgc0202 Posts: 624member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh.B. View Post

"Best" is pretty loosey-goosey. I wonder what the actual questions and responses were.

How would you have phrased it? More important, given the way it has been phrased, what do you think the results mean? Why are they 'loosey-goosely?'

If you don't know/can't say, move along.

The point raised "actual questions and responses" -- is very valid for statistics involving customer choices or any perspective (involving human beings). If you ever listen to so-called reporters today, many of them tend to ask leading questions -- because they themselves are human beings and/or more likely just not trained to avoid injecting bias during an interview.

Apart from the point raised, there is also the issue of "random statistical sampling", and this is not simply about the size of the sample taken.

I do not have the source with me, but I read from somewhere that people in certain states either predominantly prefer the iPhone while people in some other states prefer the Android.

Even in controlled studies in biomedicine, e.g., randomized and placebo control drug testing undertaken by the drug industry, usually also scrutinized by committees in every participating department of universities and hospitals, the final "result", i.e., conclusion of the analysis of the study can still be manipulated by the drug or biotechnology company to present the best scenario for the efficacy of the drug -- because it is the company that performs the overall statistical analysis.

Drugs and biomedical devices undergo at least three levels of independent and controlled studies that were then further evaluated initially by a reviewer at the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), then by a committee at the FDA, and finally another higher ranking committee also in the FDA. And yet, after so many years (and billions and billions of dollars earned), there are quite of few of these drugs that are recalled.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

It would help to learn something about basic 'margin of error' calculations given sample size (it is not a command, just a wish).

310 is a decent number.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margin_of_error

It is not the number per se, but how the subjects were chosen.
    Note also that the wikipedia article was discussing the ideal situation, the perfect Gaussian Curve. Ir would be interesting to see how the distribution of the responses were, I bet it is not the "perfect bell"

How was the study conducted? By phone (landline and/or cell phone), in person? How many were contacted, and how many responded? And how many of those that responded by phone, refused to participate.

Were the question the same for all respondents? Were the choices for answers the same? Or, were responses qualitative and the one who conducted the survey decided how to categorize the response?

CGC

N.B. Just a curiosity, what would be the SD or SEM? And what is the N value used?
  • Reply 67 of 118
    asianbobasianbob Posts: 797member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

If an Android user has spent a couple of bucks on apps that range from clunky messes to ?good enough,? that?s not much incentive to stay. But an iPhone user may have spent a lot more (because there ARE more apps), and have some truly GREAT apps/games that she won?t want to give up.

I'm wondering if "clunky mess to good enough" is just you generalizing the apps on the Market from hearsay.

I have to say that the vast majority of the apps I've bought on the Market are very well put together. And the developers are always updating them to fix issues or to just polish them more in general. The ports of iPhone apps are just as well made on Android. And if it doesn't exist, it doesn't take long until it does get ported.

There are plenty of apps/games that I've bought that I would not want to give up. At last count, I have 50-something apps/widgets/games on my phone. I'm a very picky person when it comes to quality. The fact that a lot of apps are also free help increase my satisfaction as well. Just because the App Store has more apps doesn't mean that the users of Android are any less satisfied with the apps available in the Market.

The main reason I think your argument is flawed is because every time one of those market share growth charts is published, the Market and Android are always growing. If users are really as unsatisfied as you believe, then this shouldn't be so. But yet it is.

EDIT: To add, there are a few sites out there that act as a filter for the Market to weed out those total junk apps. AppBrain comes to mind. Once you have their app on an Android device, you can browse the filtered apps from their website. Then find the ones you want and when you sync the Android app to your online AppBrain account, all the apps you picked to download show up for you to download and install. Easily cuts through the clutter and increases satisfaction.

Quote:

Well, you do have ~23% of the posts, so we thought you wanted to be the center of attention

And you replying back with all your posts makes it seem like you're fighting him to be the center of attention.
  • Reply 68 of 118
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The overheating seems particularly odd since every review I've read says it stays cool to the touch even when charging. the breakdown looks like there is ample space for passive airflow, potentially doubling as a chamber for the speaker, which is surprisingly impressive for the device.

I've run into no issues with mine overheating, or even getting warm, and I've even been using it in 85+ degree weather. Now I on the other hand, have been overheating
  • Reply 69 of 118
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:

• Reply 70 of 118
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

... The main reason I think your argument is flawed is because every time one of those market share growth charts is published, the Market and Android are always growing. If users are really as unsatisfied as you believe, then this shouldn't be so. But yet it is.

I don't follow your logic. If the market is growing (which it is) then the growth of Android may have nothing to do with satisfaction (or dissatisfaction) but simply that some users new to smartphones, who are not satisfied or disatisfied yet at the time of purchase, are choosing Android for some reason. But users who already have the device (i.e., who don't represent any market growth) and are locked into multi-year contracts may well be dissatisfied without affecting growth.

And, it seems basic economics (and the secret to Microsoft's continued healthy bottom line) that satisfied or neutral users won't lightly throw away their investment of software just to try an unknown platform, whereas, unsatisfied users would be much more likely to.
  • Reply 71 of 118
    cgc0202cgc0202 Posts: 624member
    I have not read all of JoshB's posts since I do not read all articles or threads, but in quite a number of posts some of the threads I read, sometimes he played the "devil's advocate".

We can disagree with some of his own opinion sometimes (at least I do) or most of the time, but for someone to compare JoshB with TechStud says more about the critic than JoshB.

It seems, sometimes we have taken the attitude, if someone criticizes Apple or Apple Insider, or any article that brings positive light about Apple, that person must be a troll or biased.

CGC
  • Reply 72 of 118
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

I wasn't aware of the overheating issue. Thanks for the information.

NYC at 70 degrees is hardly a "warm climate" however. If it overheats on a balmy spring day, what will happen in mid-summer?

OT: I wonder if any of the nasty accusations pointed at you will be retracted or if there will be any apologies. You were accused of lying.

No I won't be apologizing.

My money is on the 18 page review of the iPad at Ars. Maybe I'll be wrong but I bet these few reports are not going to amount to a widespread problem.

What you, SO and your ilk don't understand is that AI is a tech site for Apple enthusiasts. The community doesn't have to tolerate trolls that come here to spill vitriol on all things Apple. Your right to free speech is not guaranteed here.

Hopefully the Mods will realize the profound negative impact that you and SO (are you one and the same?) are having here. Why they have tolerated you all so long is a mystery to me.
  • Reply 73 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cgc0202 View Post

I have not read all of JoshB's posts since I do not read all articles or threads, but in quite a number of posts some of the threads I read, sometimes he played the "devil's advocate".

We can disagree with some of his own opinion sometimes (at least I do) or most of the time, but for someone to compare JoshB with TechStud says more about the critic than JoshB.

It seems, sometimes we have taken the attitude, if someone criticizes Apple or Apple Insider, or any article that brings positive light about Apple, that person must be a troll or biased.

CGC

Thanks for the support, but the fact is that supporting posts are just as off-topic as the silly attacks.

And this post of mine is also off-topic.

ISTM that those who attack other posters generate the majority of responses here - both by the folks who pile on with them, and by the person attacked, trying to defend himself.
  • Reply 74 of 118
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Hopefully the Mods will realize the profound negative impact that you and SO (are you one and the same?) are having here. Why they have tolerated you all so long is a mystery to me.

SpotOn = MacTripper

Josh.B. = iGenius

The are acting like new posters who pick on others and then cry foul when it's push back on them. The mods are intelligent, they will put the kibosh on them in due time. In the meantime, just add them to your ignore list with all their other aliases.
  • Reply 75 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

What you, SO and your ilk don't understand

What I do or do not understand is not the topic of this thread. Please leave me the hell alone already.
  • Reply 76 of 118
    Quote:

I don't follow your logic. If the market is growing (which it is) then the growth of Android may have nothing to do with satisfaction (or dissatisfaction) but simply that some users new to smartphones, who are not satisfied or disatisfied yet at the time of purchase, are choosing Android for some reason. But users who already have the device (i.e., who don't represent any market growth) and are locked into multi-year contracts may well be dissatisfied without affecting growth.

And, it seems basic economics (and the secret or Microsoft's continued healthy bottom line) that satisfied or neutral users won't lightly throw away their investment of software just to try an unknown platform, whereas, unsatisfied users would be much more likely to.

But if they were that unsatisfied, then why aren't they jumping ship? While I agree it's not a light decision to make, it does become easy if you look at it from a cost perspective. Pay the ETF and then sell the current phone to help finance one you do like (and lose ~$175 - $350), or stick with the contract and be both unhappy and $2K+ poorer at the end of it.

I see three main reasons new users are picking Android:

1. Advertising through media or via a friend who has an Android device. A satisfied Android user will obviously tell their friends to consider an Android device. Helps even more if the new user gets to play with a non-store model device. A dissatisfied user will tell their friends to stay away. Since Android is growing, I'll let you arrive at the general conclusion here (hint: more users are satisfied).

2. Wanting to stay with the same carrier. Verizon has the biggest, most mature coverage. Spirit is the first to start rolling out 4G coverage and has the best priced packages. Or all their friends are on the same network and we get free in-network perks. AT&T isn't on the list because then you'd obviously want to get an iPhone.

3. They simply did one of those 30 day trials and found that they loved the device and their experience and kept it.
  • Reply 77 of 118
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

What I do or do not understand is not the topic of this thread. Please leave me the hell alone already.

Just go. You're not going to like it here. I offer this advice in spirit of friendship and cooperation.

We talk about Macs here and generally like Apple stuff.

Try this place.
  • Reply 78 of 118
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

Unless we see some new advancements in processors and batteries, I feel with the iPad (overheating, low wifi reception) and iPhone (low battery life) that Apple has pushed the present hardware to it's technical limits with features.

We may get new and improved iPhones soon, but I feel it won't be a radical change in new features unless the size increases a bit to accept a larger battery.

Apple has pressed the petal to the metal and there isn't any more...

Welcome to ignore.. These types of illogical conclusive posts are getting more and more ridiculous in their delivery. I'm done with this source of them already.
  • Reply 79 of 118
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

But if they were that unsatisfied, then why aren't they jumping ship? While I agree it's not a light decision to make, it does become easy if you look at it from a cost perspective. Pay the ETF and then sell the current phone to help finance one you do like (and lose ~$175 - $350), or stick with the contract and be both unhappy and $2K+ poorer at the end of it.

I see three main reasons new users are picking Android: ...

Well, the reasons for new users are somewhat, although perhaps not entirely, irrelevant to the issue of satisfaction of existing users. But, most people don't pay ETFs, sell the phone and jump ship and that wouldn't affect the number of users for a platform anyway.
  • Reply 80 of 118
    Quote:

Well, the reasons for new users are somewhat, although perhaps not entirely, irrelevant to the issue of satisfaction of existing users. But, most people don't pay ETFs, sell the phone and jump ship and that wouldn't affect the number of users for a platform anyway.

I'll agree that new users typically come of their own accord. However, like I said, the existing users being satisfied can be a reason why new users are joining. We typically trust our friends' words more than an ad on the TV.

Another way to think of it is that if a brand new user comes on and is satisfied with after their trial, then they become part of the "base" that is built upon as more new users join. Obviously, if the rate of satisfied users is greater than the rate of dissatisfied users, the "base" will trend upwards. If they were unsatisfied, then at the very most, this "base" would flatten out, since the new users are able to leave with mostly no strings attached.

The Android line continuing to move upwards without a single dip (I could be wrong!) leads me to believe that users are satisfied with the Android experience and in turn, the apps they find in the Market. After all, the phone will only go so far without decent apps to back it up.