Google to pit Android-based tablet against Apple's iPad

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 158
    jwdavjwdav Posts: 36member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freddych View Post

If Android is any indication, exponential growth is what happens.

If Google can match the processing power and 10 hour battery life, this device will take off.

Android is open source and the Android market is an open market. This all leads to higher competition, which leads to better products.

Like Linux? And better for what or in what way?

Microsoft isn't open anything and has no "Windows Phone 7 Series" market ... who else is there?
  • Reply 142 of 158
    gqmacgqmac Posts: 4member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thompr View Post

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

- Inigo Montoya

HAHAHAHAHA omg - that is probably the BEST comment in this whole string
  • Reply 143 of 158
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by replicant View Post

Big surprise ! Google, your reputation of being innovative is wearing thin.

Google Maps was the last thing that made me go "wow" and that as an acquisition and many moons ago ! Marketers could categorize you in the "me too" segment now. Of course, make sure to use your legions of open source developers to catch up and copy Apple, the true innovator.

What Steve Jobs said about Microsoft could be applied to Google:

"The only problem with Microsoft is they just have no taste, they have absolutely no taste, and what that means is - I don't mean that in a small way I mean that in a big way. In the sense that they they don't think of original ideas and they don't bring much culture into their product ..."

Heh.

The problem I see here - and not just with your post but so many others (so I'm not really replying to you directly) - is that so many people take SJ's words as one and only absolute truth.

A little diversion - I have a friend who is 100% religious Orthodox Christian. He believes everything in Bible is truth just because it is in Bible. He also believes Moses was the world's greatest chronicler because he wrote down God's words. How does he know that? Well it is in the Bible, that's all he needs.

While that is perfectly fine when faith is involved, I'm really finding it ridiculous when such earthly things as IT are in question.

Otherwise, one could also consider what Bill Gates said about Apple: "And I don't know why [Apple is] acting like it's superior. I don't even get it. What are they trying to say? Does honesty matter in these things, or if you're really cool, that means you get to be a lying person whenever you feel like it? There's not even the slightest shred of truth to it."

So... is that it? We stand behind our "lords" words and worship them unquestionably? Or we just listen what is said, process and create our own opinion, like intelligent, sapient creatures we are supposed to be? If what SJ said makes MS utterly tasteless bunch of dingbats, do BG's words make Apple a bunch of lying cheaters with superiority complex (or maybe well hidden inferiority complex)
  • Reply 144 of 158
    macarenamacarena Posts: 365member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DiscoNomad View Post

Steve Jobs isn't going to be happy....

Apple wont take this quietly - expect some interesting moves from 1 Infinite Loop...

http://prastalk.blogspot.com/2010/04...er-google.html
  • Reply 145 of 158
    allblueallblue Posts: 393member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macarena View Post

Apple wont take this quietly - expect some interesting moves from 1 Infinite Loop...

http://prastalk.blogspot.com/2010/04...er-google.html

That was a very interesting article you linked to there, thanks. It has seemed to me since its emergence that Google is a castle built on sand, a multi-billion dollar corporation based solely on some very effective search algorithms. That's a very capricious revenue source to be dependent on, advertisers will go where their dollar is more effective, and they can do that very quickly. I wonder if the decision by Google's board to move from peaceful co-existence to direct aggressive competition with Apple proves to be a fatal one. It could well be.
  • Reply 146 of 158
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    The Apple / Google "war" might be a pantomime.

The pair have a mutual enemy in Microsoft.

This might not be a war - they might be concealing a pincer attack.

C.
  • Reply 147 of 158
    allblueallblue Posts: 393member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

The Apple / Google "war" might be a pantomime.

The pair have a mutual enemy in Microsoft.

This might not be a war - they might be concealing a pincer attack.

Possibly. It is certainly the case that these inter-corporate manouverings are not of the simplistic nature often described here. They can be 'friends' and 'enemies' at the same time across different sectors. However, it does appear that Google moved from a non-competing to competing position with Apple in certain areas, particularly the phone and mobile OS areas, so Apple were compelled to compete back. As to your second point, is Microsoft really a significant rival to Apple these days? In the traditional computer market Apple is showing solid growth (in a declining market to boot), the Zune just acts as an ugly counterpoint that makes the iPod seem more beautiful and in the ultra-mobile space 'floundering' is the only word to describe MS's efforts there. Apple has picked its ground carefully, and is winning on all fronts it seems to me.
  • Reply 148 of 158
    I love Google things already using Google Phone
  • Reply 149 of 158
    josh.b.josh.b. Posts: 353member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

Heh.

Otherwise, one could also consider what Bill Gates said about Apple: "And I don't know why [Apple is] acting like it's superior. I don't even get it. What are they trying to say? Does honesty matter in these things, or if you're really cool, that means you get to be a lying person whenever you feel like it? There's not even the slightest shred of truth to it."

Bill gates is not innovative, like Steve.
  • Reply 150 of 158
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by allblue View Post

However, it does appear that Google moved from a non-competing to competing position with Apple in certain areas, particularly the phone and mobile OS areas, so Apple were compelled to compete back.

It's interesting that Apple's moves into advertising appears like a counter-attack.

But the truth is that Apple's move actually helps Google. Google is starting to look an awful lot like a monopoly. Apple's sudden move into advertising allows Google to deflect the monopoly issue.

These two lumbering giants are throwing clumsy punches. But most seem to be landing squarely on Microsoft.

C.
  • Reply 151 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

How many people do you think are willing to buy a new Android phone every few months?

Google will get the numbers. The problem is that they will corner the market on the el-Cheapo section of the mobile phone market, which is currently led by Nokia and WinMo. Chances are that people who buy these Android phones will buy the cheapest phone they can get and likely won't use any of the extended smartphone features at all. Android will sort of be like background noise to them. As long as they can use the phone and an address book, everything else is irrelevant. They're not going to care about it having "more features" than iPhone because they likely won't even be using them. Even the Android store, filled with junk now, won't change if people think of Android phones as cheap and clunky.

Apple and RIM have this lucrative part of the market pretty much between them. People who buy these devices are looking for something that is more than just a phone.

Worse for Android, is that since they are locked into the el-Cheapo market, it will have a patina of cheap crappiness to it. People will think of junk when the name Android is brought up.
  • Reply 152 of 158
    matt_smatt_s Posts: 300member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by patrickwalker View Post

People will think of junk when the name Android is brought up.

Really? We have iPhones and Android models, some we make calls with, some we tear apart, and some we use for testing. Each one has it's plus & minus characteristics but I would not term any one of them "junk." I like a number of the Android models, most are quite well built. They are selling extremely well, usually a good indication that customers like the product. They work well, feel solid, and deliver a lot of functionality and features for the dollar.

I would say that multi-tasking on the iPhone will arrive because of Google's platform, as 'copy and paste' arrived after RIM started criticizing the iPhone's lack of such in TV and print ads. Now, if we could just get that ancient Blackberry command DELETE PRIOR integrated into iPhone's Mail...

Competition makes the world go 'round. This will be good for Apple users and Apple stockholders. When Google releases their slate product, you can pretty much bet it will have a forward-facing camera built in for Skype video calls, if for no other reason than Apple inexplicably left this off their product. This will force Apple to compete, benefiting all of us.

Now, if someone would just be able to force Apple to offer a laptop with a smaller footprint than a 13" wide-screen, we'd all benefit from that, too!
  • Reply 153 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by patrickwalker View Post

People will think of junk when the name Android is brought up.

Yeah, because nothing says "Quality" like the Apple-approved "Pull My Finger":

http://www.businessinsider.com/2008/...pull-my-finger
  • Reply 154 of 158
    If Google is just thinking about, it's too late.
  • Reply 155 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matt_s View Post

They are selling extremely well, usually a good indication that customers like the product. They work well, feel solid, and deliver a lot of functionality and features for the dollar.

Certainly not in numbers that RIM or Apple produce and while it would be unfair to compare directly, Android is going to be pushed into the el-Cheapo market whether they like it or not. For Android, selling 250,000 droid units in the first week was a success for them. How many iPhones 3GS units did Apple sell in the first week? 1.6 million and at a higher price point. People said the same thing about the build quality of the Palm Pre too.

Quote:

Now, if someone would just be able to force Apple to offer a laptop with a smaller footprint than a 13" wide-screen, we'd all benefit from that, too!

I agree with that. I'm still using my 12" iBook... but it's obvious there is no demand for it.
  • Reply 156 of 158
    vspvsp Posts: 32member
    What would Google do to challenge the iPad? Of course they will copy every features of the iPad, they are real copycats! Just look at all their successful products, apart from their search engine ? they are not the innovations of Google but are bought lock, stock, and barrel and given away free in order to slaughter the competition.

This strategy is financed from their obscene ads profits. But the days of their apogee on the ads heap pile is numbered. Apple is coming out with their iAd; Facebook is going to leverage on their prominence in the social networking to muscle into Google's cash-cow territory; and Microsoft-Yahoo's Bing is attempting to undercut Google feet of clay. Competition is going to nibble at Google's preeminence, and when that happens Google will not have the deep pockets to give away free apps.

Furthermore, Google's forays into many areas that are not within their core competency will distract and dissipate them. And don't forget their propensity to step on many powerful toes, e.g. governments everywhere, will land them into serious trouble.
  • Reply 157 of 158
    cu10cu10 Posts: 294member
    Quote:

...Competition makes the world go 'round. This will be good for Apple users and Apple stockholders. When Google releases their slate product, you can pretty much bet it will have a forward-facing camera built in for Skype video calls, if for no other reason than Apple inexplicably left this off their product. This will force Apple to compete, benefiting all of us.

Good reply.

Apple discontinued their last 12" Powerbook G4 and 12" iBook G4 for some reason.
  • Reply 158 of 158
    One thing is for certain, that the iPad will deliver a certain guaranteed level of quality and compatibility that Android tablet pcs will never be able to contend with simply because of the diversity in the marketplace ensure by the open-source nature of the Android OS.

While Google currently contends that Android 2.1 and 2.2 are NOT capable of running the tablet "form factor", products from Samsung and Dell as well as generic cheap Android tablet devices from China have proven that it can provide quite a bit of entertainment value even in the current version. And can do some things even the iPad can't (or won't) do - such as run multiple apps and play Flash files.

Supposedly, Android 3.0 will be geared more towards tablets and allow for omissions such as SIM cards, cameras, and greater screen size allowances that will make the hardware easier to comply with the Android Compliance (CDD) documentation.

Still Apple's iPad will continue to improve functionality and more importantly, the reliability of Apple's brand will keep it contending with these open-source mobile operating systems for years.