iPad shortage forces Apple to delay international launch until May

Comments

• Reply 61 of 131
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nasdarq View Post

Is U.S. 3G iPad going to be different from the European models? If not, I would consider buying one when in NY in 2 weeks ...

It is likely Apple will have legal problems in Europe if they place hardware limitations to restrict the contract to one operator (as has happened with the iPhone, which is currently being sold by all operators in the UK and elsewhere in Europe).

More operators = obviously a lower plan cost and the benefit to consumers.

The iPad features/specs should be no different as are Apple's Macs.

The iPad is not restricted to one operator.

More operators does not equal lower plan costs. We have 4 in Canada and nothing changed.

By the way, what is the roaming/long distance charges between the UK and Malta? As you can see in the attachment*, there is none from Maine to California.

*http://goeurope.about.com/od/europea...arison-map.htm
  • Reply 62 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

Exactly. Like I said (altho' I suggested a pre-paid credit card since it might be easier to get than a US gift card... basically the same idea tho').

I assume the iPad App Store application will start working once the iPad goes international.

Never tried a pre-paid credit card.

The local iPad App Store will become available as soon as the product is made available in the respective country.

One other thing, the international delay should help and give the various international Apple subsidiaries more time to get their respective iBook Stores in place.
  • Reply 63 of 131
    reveriereverie Posts: 66member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

Never tried a pre-paid credit card.

The local iPad App Store will become available as soon as the product is made available in the respective country.

I believe the local iPad stores are open for business already. It just seems that one cannot get those apps off the computer and onto the pad.
  • Reply 64 of 131
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Hey, we had to wait for those four lads from Liverpool to come to America. Turn around is fair play...

You mean Boy George & The Culture Club?
  • Reply 65 of 131
    gmcalpingmcalpin Posts: 266member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Axolotl View Post

C'mon guys! Stop buyin' ipads! Otherwise... no more Corona beer for you!

If you had said Sol, I would have gotten on a plane to Cupertino immediately.
  • Reply 66 of 131
    takeotakeo Posts: 446member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by reverie View Post

I believe the local iPad stores are open for business already. It just seems that one cannot get those apps off the computer and onto the pad.

Not true. You can still launch the desktop version iTunes on Mac OS X and go to the App Store tab to buy applications using a non-US account. And there are a lot of iPad apps available. Just not the Apple iPad apps. And you CAN sync your purchased iPad apps to your iPad. I know. I've done it. At least in Canada. The ONLY reason you would need a US iTunes account right now are for two things:

1. To use the App Store app on your iPad

2. To buy Apple's iPad apps
  • Reply 67 of 131
    Quote:

You are right about the first part. But I would think that you could get them off your computer and onto the iPad if you had one.
  • Reply 68 of 131
    takeotakeo Posts: 446member
    Quote:

You are right about the first part. But I would think that you could get them off your computer and onto the iPad if you had one.

Yup...
  • Reply 69 of 131
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    This is not an artificially-created supply problem. Apple anything (except AppleTV) is so popular now that it would be stupid to hold back production just to create more demand - and it wouldn't work. The demand is already there, and the best way to create more is to get more product out in public, so more people can touch it.

It's most likely Apple gave their best estimate of demand, set up production lines to match their predictions, and the predictions were short. Pretty simple.

One thing they probably learned from the iPhone is how to increase production more rapidly when there's not enough initial supply.
  • Reply 70 of 131
    daveyjjdaveyjj Posts: 120member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

Exactly. Like I said (altho' I suggested a pre-paid credit card since it might be easier to get than a US gift card... basically the same idea tho').

I assume the iPad App Store application will start working once the iPad goes international.

I just get a buddy in the US of A to gift my US iTunes account the apps I want, log out of the Canuckistan store, and log in with my US email. Pay him back via PayPal. Easy-peasy.
  • Reply 71 of 131
    ddarkoddarko Posts: 22member
    I wish the AppleInsider report hewed a little more closely to what Apple's announcement actually said. Apple did not say it "sold" 500,000 iPads, it said it "delivered" that number of devices. Apple always words its public statements very carefully so I think the use of the word "delivered" was not casual but a clear and conscious choice, especially because less than a week ago at the iPhone 4.0 preview, Jobs said Apple had "sold" over 450,000 units. There is a switch in language. Somehow, AppleInsider and most of the other sites reporting this story this morning have transformed "delivered" into "sold." They're not synonyms.

I don't doubt that those "delivered" iPads will in fact be sold into people's hands very quickly. I think the iPad is already a big success; I bought one on the first day. But I think for journalism's sake, it's important to point out the distinction that Apple itself is making between something "delivered" and something "sold."
  • Reply 72 of 131
    cgc0202cgc0202 Posts: 624member
    There will be iPad like devices that would be released during the later part of this year and early next year. To ensure a significant headstart, the more iPads Apple sells in the US, the great experience from these customers become the most potent selling points. You trust your friend's and relative's recommendation than any other form of advertisement. Each iPad owner becomes a salesperson. The positive buzz from media reinforced by Apple adverstisements will further enhance the recommendations from friends and relatives.

Diluting the supply by disbursing it around the world would diminish the aforementioned strategy. It will impact the acceptance of iPad-killers.

Supply and Demand.

As to limiting supply, artificially, I doubt this.

Do not forget that there were so many unknowns about the iPad's acceptability before it was really out. Many similar products failed dismally before the iPad. Morever, there were so many "negative" reviews when it was first intriduced. Even pundits who like the iPad concept and were known to like Apple products during the past decade had much lower expectations of the first year sale of the iPad (about a million), partly based fromt eh aforementioned unknowns.

Apple is aware of the above. Each company has to estimate the demand. The componets ordered from different companies had to be oredered and overestimation is very costly. Remember that each product has its own assembly line and labor had to be hired (manpower is one of the highest costs), The production had to be continuous, rather than in spurts. An average production per day for about a year must have been planned. A production rate of 20,000 per day is not so much different from 25,000 per day, but the total in a year would be quite significant.

It is better to start with a lower baseline peoduction per day then ramp it up, once the actual demand has been better established.

Economics 101 would tell you that the price is dictated by supply and demand. Apart from sosting money, oversupply would also affect the mystique and desirability of the product.

Anyone who does not understand the above are hopeless.

CGC
  • Reply 73 of 131
    teunisteunis Posts: 23member
    Now I have to take my chances and drive to Buffalo and 'hope' that I can get a 64Gb 3G iPad in store. This isn't working out like it's supposed to. At least it should be a bit cheaper. *sigh*

What are the chances of these puppies being on shelf for April 25th? Fingers crossed.
  • Reply 74 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinney57 View Post

Bugger...

My recently deceased erudite father....used to say that, albeit rarely. Made me laugh! Thanks
  • Reply 75 of 131
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techno View Post

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I would not doubt it was a planned strategy. What do you do if not all of the press is so hot on your product. Sales being overshadowed by big brother the phone? Well pretend the opposite.

"Demand is beyond our wildest dreams! We can't keep up. Ah shucks, we have to go back to the barn and make some more."

Funny how Apple has always, I mean always had a supply problem. Ever since I can remember, back when I was replacing my Mac IIci with a Quadra 840av, Apple could never meet the demand. It always worked though. Demand was at least in part artificially created.

Sorry, not buying it. First of all, it's not like Apple is not revealing sales figures. The sales figures are quite impressive and the stock price (245 at this moment with a market cap of $222.4 billion), reflects it (and generally, the market would tend to punish Apple for releasing late because they're leaving money on the table). Secondly, it's simply not true that back in the days of the Mac IIci and Quadra 840av that Apple couldn't meet demand. I was a developer back then and never had problems getting any machines. When Jobs returned to Apple and they had a plethora of models and confusing redundant product lines (Mac, II, LC, Centris, Quadra, etc.), legend has it that once they started releasing newer machines that made the old lines obsolete and also because the strategy was to simplify the product line and marketing message, most of the old inventory wound up in landfills.

What's more likely is simply that the factories have some QC or other issues or there are parts supplier issues and they can't get out enough units quickly enough.
  • Reply 76 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Hey, we had to wait for those four lads from Liverpool to come to America. Turn around is fair play...

Fair point. And to make it more poignant - they were worth the wait! Hope the iPad is.
  • Reply 77 of 131
    cgc0202cgc0202 Posts: 624member
    Quote:

Edit: The ? currency crisis looming from Greece's bad economy might also play a role. Apple will probably prefer to wait a few more weeks to see where the exchange rates are going to trend for the rest of the year.

I have not read of any major US company that restricted the sale of their products abroad simply because of currency fluctuations.

CGC
  • Reply 78 of 131
    josh.b.josh.b. Posts: 353member
    Quote:

Having just gotten back from Worcester a couple of weeks ago, it is too bad that 'dialect' rather than 'region' was the basis for delaying the international introduction of the iPad.

But hey, I am not complaining. Must say though, that my wife and her American cousin did their best to keep me out of the Apple store in Natik. Fortunately for me, we drove the other way and ended up in Holyoke. And I got to buy another U.S. Gift Card

By the way, blowhard (), what was the last team beside the Yankees to keep the title of World Series Champion's for three years in a row?

That's Natick.

Did you check out the flagship store on Boylton Street in Boston? Architecturally, it is an eyesore, but it is the biggest in the Boston area.
  • Reply 79 of 131
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ddarko View Post

I wish the AppleInsider report hewed a little more closely to what Apple's announcement actually said. Apple did not say it "sold" 500,000 iPads, it said it "delivered" that number of devices. Apple always words its public statements very carefully so I think the use of the word "delivered" was not casual but a clear and conscious choice, especially because less than a week ago at the iPhone 4.0 preview, Jobs said Apple had "sold" over 450,000 units. There is a switch in language. Somehow, AppleInsider and most of the other sites reporting this story this morning have transformed "delivered" into "sold." They're not synonyms.

I don't doubt that those "delivered" iPads will in fact be sold into people's hands very quickly. I think the iPad is already a big success; I bought one on the first day. But I think for journalism's sake, it's important to point out the distinction that Apple itself is making between something "delivered" and something "sold."

There should be more sales than deliveries as a product purchased online but not yet received by the customer would be counted as sold but not delivered. Stores aren't the only places that receive deliveries.
  • Reply 80 of 131
    esummersesummers Posts: 953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Great the ipad is doing way better than expected!

But why follow it up with a comment that effectively points out that America is the priority Market as it is for everything Apple and everyone else should bask in Apples success to fully stock the US and not give anyone else a piece of the pie.

The worst bit is that when it does get released we know we will have to pay more for it too, late and more expensive the Apple international way!

Don't get me wrong, I understand supply issues, I really do, just don't make a comment about how we should be happy that only the US is getting the ipad due to high sales!

It wouldn't sound very good if Apple were to say that half of your Apple resellers were getting one iPad to stretch the supply over the world either. I do think it would be interesting to see what the reaction was in our press if Apple were to release in another country first, but they are trying to win the press and publishers in the united states over to use the iPad as a reader so it probably wouldn't be a good idea. It also makes more sense to do a United States launch first because most of the retail stores are here.

Steve said you should be happy because it is a success. That is great because there will be more (and less expensive) software and content coming out for the iPad. A larger market means more developers and more economy of scale. It also means that Apple should refresh the product more often and this will not become another Apple TV.