Google may bring free turn-by-turn navigation to Apple iPhone [u]

Comments

• Reply 21 of 95
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,758member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

Care to post a reference? It's stock internet data, both coming and going. Unless there is specific wording in your AT&T data contract, there is no way they could 'bill' you for using this.

that's good to know.
  • Reply 22 of 95
    cgc0202cgc0202 Posts: 624member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

Although the app appears to be free, does anybody know what the usage charges will be from their wireless operator? My understanding is that this will not fall under the 'unlimited' iPhone data plans as is available in the U.S. from AT&T or other companies offering 'GPS/Realtime navigation.

Relevant to my first response here, Google is aware that Apple bought a small Mapping company. Unless Apple provides an Apple Map and GPS for free, or at low cost with very much improved features, guess which App will prevail?

Then there are advertisements -- another area where Google and Apple are likely to compete.

When it comes to the users, what you state will apply whatever App they use -- if you are correct.

CGC
  • Reply 23 of 95
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    The issues between Apple and Google over Voice and Latitude really stick in my craw. Wherever that is.
  • Reply 24 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by swinge View Post

Cue another mass sell of of share holders....

I'm excited about getting getting a GPS this good on the iPhone but "Do no evil?" Google will very quickly exterminate the GPS market. Personally, I'd prefer to pay for a product and know it's mine, with Google you always have to question how the other shoe is going to drop.

I don't know enough about the technology, will an iPhone 3Gs and beyond be able to run this app where there is no wifi or telephone coverage? If so maybe the next iPhone has a more powerfull satellite receiver too.
  • Reply 25 of 95
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I don't know enough about the technology, will an iPhone 3Gs and beyond be able to run this app where there is no wifi or telephone coverage? If so maybe the next iPhone has a more powerfull satellie receiver too.

Yes and no. The GPS will work without telephone or wireless coverage. If the route is cached before you loose your data connection, you won't even notice. It doesn't say what happens if you take an alternate route though. Although it might cache alternate routes as well, it may not.

Once it has the data locally though, you should be fine regardless of Edge/3G or voice communications.
  • Reply 26 of 95
    I see this as a another step for Google toward location-based advertising. Why should they care about having a paid app when a huge amount of revenue comes from ads- I'm sure they want get their claws deep into this new advertising realm.
  • Reply 27 of 95
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,346member
    No doubt that this will hurt Garmin and Tom Tom, but there will still be a market for their products for several reasons. First, relying on the cloud for maps means a less reliable experience. Sure, you can download your route before you leave, but what if you have to deviate from your route and your connection is flaky? Well, i guess that means you're lost. Second, my experience has been that google's maps and directions have more errors than Garmin's, at least where I live. Third, the GPS antenna in a phone is typically not as good as in a dedicated unit.

As always, Google provides products that are fine for the price (free), but they are not as good as products from a company that regards you as a customer rather than just another set of eyeballs for their ads.
  • Reply 28 of 95
    29922992 Posts: 202member
    now this is what I'm calling good news!

cannot wait to have it and USE it!

PS: still need a backup app for when Google's "cloud" servers will be down
  • Reply 29 of 95
    Quote:

Although the app appears to be free, does anybody know what the usage charges will be from their wireless operator? My understanding is that this will not fall under the 'unlimited' iPhone data plans as is available in the U.S. from AT&T or other companies offering 'GPS/Realtime navigation.

Why wouldn't it be free? It's free for Android. There isn't anything special about navigation data that prevents AT&T from passing, or knowing it's being transmitted over their network. AT&T charges for their plan/software because they can. Google already gives their data away for free as their revenue stream comes from other places.

I've got Google Navigation on my HTC Hero and it's decent. It caches the instructions so if you lose cell connection, it will display all the turns. It has similar features to dedicated devices, and throws a couple extras in there too. If you have a network connection, you can switch to Street View and it will live update, albeit slowly to show you where you are at with turns overlaid on the photos.
  • Reply 30 of 95
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:

Care to post a reference? It's stock internet data, both coming and going. Unless there is specific wording in your AT&T data contract, there is no way they could 'bill' you for using this.

Currently
    Quote:

Price: iPhone app is free. Use of Navigator costs $9.99 per month, rolled into your AT&T wireless bill.

http://gps.about.com/od/mobilephoneg...tor_iPhone.htm

I don't AT&T doing anything different for Google's product.

We are trying to determine the costs for other like services. Unfortunately our evidence it anecdotal. However our preliminary understanding is that these apps require a separate data plan. Unless, as in most countries, data plans are not unlimited, you can use your realtime navigation apps (and for example, tethering) because your usage is drawn from your total contracted data plan.
  • Reply 31 of 95
    cgc0202cgc0202 Posts: 624member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I don't know enough about the technology, will an iPhone 3Gs and beyond be able to run this app where there is no wifi or telephone coverage? If so maybe the next iPhone has a more powerfull satellite receiver too.

Without G/WiFi connection, it is not going to work perfectly. However, as the article indicated, the information can be stored, so that if you take the same route, as originally planned, it should work.

Now, if you are blocked by traffic or some other forces beyong your control, and plan to modify your route, then you are screwed if you do not have G/WiFi connection.

How did people navigate before these modern wonders? Maps of course. Since the original turn by turn direction is stored (along with the Map), it is then possible to use the information to deal with "detours".

CGC
  • Reply 32 of 95
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jollespm View Post

Why wouldn't it be free? It's free for Android. There isn't anything special about navigation data that prevents AT&T from passing, or knowing it's being transmitted over their network. AT&T charges for their plan/software because they can. Google already gives their data away for free as their revenue stream comes from other places.

I've got Google Navigation on my HTC Hero and it's decent. It caches the instructions so if you lose cell connection, it will display all the turns. It has similar features to dedicated devices, and throws a couple extras in there too. If you have a network connection, you can switch to Street View and it will live update, albeit slowly to show you where you are at with turns overlaid on the photos.

Who is your service? Perhaps you could post a complete and comprehensive breakdown of your monthly costs.
  • Reply 33 of 95
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Quote:

Currently

I don't AT&T doing anything different for Google's product.

We are trying to determine the costs for other like services. Unfortunately our evidence it anecdotal. However our preliminary understanding is that these apps require a separate data plan. Unless, as in most countries, data plans are not unlimited, you can use your realtime navigation apps (and for example, tethering) because your usage is drawn from your total contracted data plan.

That is for AT&T's app service. This is Google's app, which is of course free (no service cost).
  • Reply 34 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bklynkid View Post

I think my life is now complete... bring on the next iPhone, 4.0 and this.

What about the app for Ipad. Much easier to see then Iphone. Not sure if this is a good question, be kind
  • Reply 35 of 95
    Quote:

Yes and no. The GPS will work without telephone or wireless coverage. If the route is cached before you loose your data connection, you won't even notice. It doesn't say what happens if you take an alternate route though. Although it might cache alternate routes as well, it may not.

Once it has the data locally though, you should be fine regardless of Edge/3G or voice communications.

thanks to all who answered me. I reading all this on my iPhone without reading glasses so sorry if I missed the answers in the article.
  • Reply 36 of 95
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cgc0202 View Post

Well, it is free. The more Google Apps, the more places where Ads can be placed. Ads is the bread and butter of Google.

Also, there are other uses for the Google Maps that need not have to have a more complex algorithm, like the "turn by turn" application.

CGC

Yes but new developer rules apparently forbid the analyzing of data for targeted user ads which basically just leaves generic location type ads. One can see why Google wasn't in too much of a hurry to release this.

I would have liked to see this built into the current Maps application but I don't see Apple going out of their way to do this.
  • Reply 37 of 95
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Damn it, I was actually really exited for this. Now they are saying they don't confirm, which means more likely then not it will not come to iPhone. Seeing as A and G are on the rocks this would have smoothed things over. Maps for iPhone needs an update (turn by turn, voice, offline use) and I am hoping we will see the upgrade in 4.0.
  • Reply 38 of 95
    2 cents2 cents Posts: 307member
    I would be very surprised if this (or something like this) does not come to the iphone/ipad very soon. My guess is a free apple version using iAd.

EIther way, I can use my Garmin for now and let google and Uncle Steve sort out the details. My assessment of stand-alone GPSes is that they are looking extremely dated. Much like those wiz bang Nokias that looked so awesome before the iphone, very few people will be continue to be satisfied with them once they get a gander at technology like this-- which is only at its infancy right now.
  • Reply 39 of 95
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Damn it, I was actually really exited for this. Now they are saying they don't confirm, which means more likely then not it will not come to iPhone. Seeing as A and G are on the rocks this would have smoothed things over. Maps for iPhone needs an update (turn by turn, voice, offline use) and I am hoping we will see the upgrade in 4.0.

Just saw the post from PC World:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/19485...yturn_gps.html

I guess the war continues?
  • Reply 40 of 95
    stompystompy Posts: 409member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Maps for iPhone needs an update (turn by turn, voice, offline use) and I am hoping we will see the upgrade in 4.0.

I haven't seen anyone mention it in this thread yet, but MapQuest has a free app with turn by turn and voice. It works pretty well. The voice is definitely not as smooth as a dedicated device, but it's an improvement over the built in maps app.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mapqu...316126557?mt=8

Edit: Article claims "A number of GPS navigation applications already exist on the App Store, though they are not free." Either writer isn't aware of the MapQuest app, or