Survey finds 16GB iPad 3G most popular, not viewed as PC replacement

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 91
    takeotakeo Posts: 446member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donlphi View Post

I find that it is a bit heavier than I had originally anticipated, so I can't just relax and use the device.

When I'm using it on the couch... I just prop it up on a cushion. Instant 'chill factor'.

Quote:

It feels slippery in my hands and typing is still a bit of chore as I am not used to it yet.

The Apple case is almost a necessity. It's a great case. Lightweight, simple, cover to protect the glass... and very grippy.

Quote:

I'm also having issues with how it works like an iPhone on some websites, but acts like a regular browser for other website.

The iPad version of Safari reports itself as a mobile browser so websites which sense that and have a mobile version will force you to view the mobile version. It is annoying. Twitter is one example. It would be nice to have the choice of viewing the full website or the mobile version. At 1024x768... I'm not sure there is ever a reason to get the mobile version. Although that may also be how sites like CNN know to give you HTML5 video instead of Flash.
  • Reply 82 of 91
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

You do realize that your "Reward Zone" coupons expire shortly after they are issued. So if you don't redeem them shortly after they are issued after a purchase, you lose them. You can't keep them built up for over two years. You might want to log into your Reward Zone account and make sure.

Credit Card rewards with CapitalOne NoHassle Rewards. I can use the rewards to purchase Best Buy Gift Cards, Home Depot gift cards, etc.
  • Reply 83 of 91
    bulk001bulk001 Posts: 767member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

You see the word "CANNIBALIZE"?

Apple had to make sure the ipad wasn't such a bad a** that it would kill their mac sells.

But the pc vendors will shoot themselves in the foot the closer they try to best the ipad. They already operate on small margins as it is. God knows there is a freaking pc vendor on every flipping block!

And I'm sure Mr. B Gates is worried about the ipad killing the traditional, or being less dramatic, obliterating the pc.

And the irony is that the only outfit that can help the pc vendors is MS.

Ain't that a bi***!

There is no pc vendor rocking their own OS. They have spent to much time sucking off of MS. They are lazy. Maybe Google can come up with something. Who knows. But it has to play nice with the pc or just lave it in the dark.

Steve Jobs done fu**** all them fools!

OMFG!!!!!!

Just my two cents.

What do I know!

I just paid $300 for a netbook and converted it into a hackingtosh machine. Looked long and hard at the iPad but as I have a kindle for reading already, the netbook allows me to do everything else - including a lot of things the iPad does not. The netbook does have some limitations - esp screen resolution but offers a lot of positives like the full Mac OS X experience and a lot more freedom (I have a wireless data card already and don't want to have to pay for data yet again) from what I can and can't install on my device from Apple and ATT. It is also a heavier than the iPad but not by much and as it has a keyboard build in, there is not the cost of an extra adaptor and seperate keyboard to be carried around.
  • Reply 84 of 91
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

What did you base this on? Did you stand in line and count how many old people there were? If they aren't really into computing, than they would have no interest in an iPad either. Apple won't allow over the air network upgrades when the OS is a full release at 250+ MB. For the past three years, they have never released a "patch" style update. So you will need a computer with iTunes to be able to apply updates.

Nice reading comprehension there.
  • Reply 85 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

I totally agree with you which is why I would like to have the option to have Flash on my iPad.

Also for Windows users which still dominate the market at least when it comes to marketshare, Flash is a non issue. As long as it remains a non issue for Windows users it will be around a long time.

Without the coming release of 10.1 its going to be even less of an issue due to hardware acceleration.

For most standard OSX users flash is also a non-issue. The point that's being made is the fact that flash ISN'T dominating the mobile arena quite yet - and the impact of the iPad and iPhones could make a big impact on how much HTML5 is considered mainstream when it comes to mobile devices. I don't have an iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad so I'm largely unaffected. Flash is a pain in the ass though for me, on either OS. Major slowdowns and kills battery life.
  • Reply 86 of 91
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    You know, I end up using my iPhone way more than I do my iMac. Editing video is the main task for my iMac or surfing when I need a bigger screen. If and when I get a iPad I would use that instead. I think we all agree it can't fully replace a computer, but it sure can do a lot of stuff, and over time it will be able to do even more. The iPhone and iPad are both amazing devices that have changed the way we think about computers.

As far as storage, I think I'd get the 16GB wi-fi just because the lower price, I'd rather have the 32 GB, and I'd really love to have the 64GB 3G but we don't need another credit card charge in a two iPhone family, with two young kids, and house to care for. If I could pay for the 3G with iTunes gift cards I'd think very strongly about buying it. It's also a shame you can't swap files between the iPhone and iPad without the computer between them.
  • Reply 87 of 91
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

According to one comment, 6% of the buyers are dumb enough to actually think it can replace a computer.

What makes you think you're so superior that you can decide for others what their needs are?

For some people, the iPad CAN replace a computer.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

The Apple case is almost a necessity. It's a great case. Lightweight, simple, cover to protect the glass... and very grippy.

I didn't think I'd like the case when I first saw it and read some reviews, but I like it a lot. I wouldn't say it's essential and there might be a better case out there, but I'm very happy with the Apple case.
  • Reply 88 of 91
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffreytgilbert View Post

Nothing will speed up the adoption of HTML5. It's not a standard and we haven't even killed off IE6 yet. It will be a niche market for the next 5-10 years.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

... Also for Windows users which still dominate the market at least when it comes to marketshare, Flash is a non issue. As long as it remains a non issue for Windows users it will be around a long time. ...

Flash will, if it's anything, be a niche product in 2 - 5 years and IE6 is irrelevant, as is Windows market share. The adoption of HTML5 has accelerated before our eyes with the release of the iPad and it will continue to do so. No one cares anymore about reaching users who can't move past IE6 and IE market share is in steady decline. However, even Microsoft will be supporting much of HTML5 with IE9, as a defense against Chrome. But, most importantly, Flash isn't going anywhere in the mobile world and having it on a couple of Android phones isn't going to make anyone think twice about dumping Flash.

Flash is already dead and content providers aren't going to look back. In the end, after all, it's their call -- user choice isn't and never has been a factor -- and they aren't going to pass on those eyeballs when they have a way to reach them that doesn't involve Flash.
  • Reply 89 of 91
    crawdad62crawdad62 Posts: 99member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

What makes you think you're so superior that you can decide for others what their needs are?

For some people, the iPad CAN replace a computer.

It most certainly can replace a computer. For most people it won't be their only device but I see this replacing laptop/netbooks for a lot of people that also have a desktop at home.

Honestly my iPhone replaced my MacBook. After getting my iPhone I used my MacBook less and less. I got tired of lugging it around and decided I didn't really need it so it went to ebay.I wasn't using the MacBook for any real work.... just email and surfing mostly. And the iPad is even more compelling in that while not as portable (can't stick it in your pocket) it screen size and better processing makes it great for what a lot of people use there "secondary device" for.

Actually I'm going full-circle on this. I sold my MacBook because I wasn't really using it because I used my iPhone most of the time and I realized that I used my iPhone at home a lot of the time while watching TV (checking IMDB, Netflix, etc.) that I could benefit from a larger screen (old eyes) so I plan on getting an iPad.

I originally planned on the 16GB model but I suspect that once developers get the hang of programming iPad specific apps that the size of said apps may be a lot larger than their iPhone counterparts. Heck that Elements: A Visual Exploration is 1.75GB's already.
  • Reply 90 of 91
    takeotakeo Posts: 446member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I didn't think I'd like the case when I first saw it and read some reviews, but I like it a lot. I wouldn't say it's essential and there might be a better case out there, but I'm very happy with the Apple case.

I call it essential (to me anyway) for a few reasons:
    1. Large areas of exposed glass and soft aluminum would be suceptible to damage outside the home

2. It's pretty slippery without a case

3. Personally, I feel the iPad would be too conspicuous to carry around in public without a case

Another case to look at is the Quirky Cloak... but the prototypes look really bulky and flimsy compared to their original 3D rendering mockups. I'll wait to see a shipping version in person before I decide. For me though, any iPad case has to be a book style case... so you can just flip open a cover. I wouldn't go for a silicone jacket (no glass protection) or a zippered case (can't just flip it open... have to take the iPad out). But that's just me.
  • Reply 91 of 91
    williamgwilliamg Posts: 322member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

For me though, any iPad case has to be a book style case... so you can just flip open a cover. I wouldn't go for a silicone jacket (no glass protection) or a zippered case (can't just flip it open... have to take the iPad out). But that's just me.

That makes a lot of sense. I note that pads of paper have simple leather covers available. It sounds like you want something similar.