iPad shortage forces Apple to delay international launch until May

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 131
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I just heard that the 3G iPad has been delayed until the end of March, too. I hope that isn't true.
  • Reply 122 of 131
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    The resale value of my wifi iPad goes up every day.
  • Reply 123 of 131
    exactly! some people dismissed the iPad as a failure..

now demand is over expectation looks like times change.LOL!
  • Reply 124 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

This is why I moved from the UK to USA, just so I can lays get Apple goodies early, well that and the weather.

And the fact that American women love guys with a British accent, innit?
  • Reply 125 of 131
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Wait while I check with my American wife on that point ...
  • Reply 126 of 131
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Although I'm disappointed, from a business point of view I can understand that it makes sense to focus limited supply on satisfying the strong initial US demand while they ramp up production capacity ready for international launch. It's only an extra month and I am quite willing to wait as it gives them a chance to identify and iron out any initial problems before I buy one. Also the iBookstore is not going to available outside the US for sometime anyway and ebooks are one of the main reasons I am looking to buy.
  • Reply 127 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Wait while I check with my American wife on that point ...

hehe
  • Reply 128 of 131
    Isreal's ban on iPads has been lifted.
  • Reply 129 of 131
    I've just had a thought. Apple has given us the May 7th preorder date. But I bet just like in the US, the initial preorders are only for official Apple Stores, and not resellers. Which means if we live in a country with no Apple Store, we're SOL for even longer.
  • Reply 130 of 131
    reveriereverie Posts: 66member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cgc0202 View Post

I have not read of any major US company that restricted the sale of their products abroad simply because of currency fluctuations.

CGC

It's about announcing and starting sales in Euro currency, something Apple has pushed back several times (by no less than 2 months in total). They can't start selling iPads at say ?479 for the 16 GB WiFi and then have the Euro decline another 20 % or more. That would force them to raise prices in the middle of the release cycle, which is about the worst thing a company can do. No matter how hard you try to explain it, customer will hate you for that.

Apple will announce prices on May 10 now, which is one day after state elections in Germany, which was the major reason why the EU could not agree on sanctions and aids for Greece, which is the one reason the situation has become worse and worse for Greece over the last 3 months.

It seems that the heads of EU have finally resolved the disagreement this week, so the markets and currency should finally stabilize. Let's hope that Apple will be able to announce a price next week that will be sustainable until April 2011.

To be clear, I consider this to be a sideshow compared to Apple's apparent production issues. Nonetheless, Apple is becoming more international with every quarter, and their European revenues ($4 billion in the last quarter) are now almost as important as their American revenues ($5 billion last quarter, including Canada and Latin America).