Nintendo boss calls Apple 'the enemy of the future'

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Why are you comparing the Wii to the iPad/iPhone? They're entirely different animals. The iPad is not, in its present form, at least, competing with the Wii. Rather, it's competing with the DS.

I could ask a lot of people on here the same question. I've read post after post bashing the Wii's technological capabilities (I don't own one either), yet in no way is it related to the iPhone or iPad, and has nothing to do with the Apple vs Nintendo "war". I felt I should make a response for it at least.
  • Reply 82 of 99
    I think Nintendo has had its time and its time for new generation more innovative companies to take control over the gaming market. I mean common Nintendo WII was just Gamecube with the wireless controllers. Satoru Iwata should sell Nintendo. But the sad thing is it will be just like General Motors a company who keeps recycling IDEAS and creating innovations. Yea don't get me wrong wireless motion controls its great but just a GIMMICK just like 3d TV's
  • Reply 83 of 99
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member
    Apple aren't going to build their own Wii. They really don't have anything they could add to the current console market and the very idea of making a me-too device for an already well established market just feels very... un Apple-like.

Not to say Apple don't want to be in the console market. I'm sure they would love to be. I just can't see them jumping in unless they have a device that's really innovative, not just a clone of the current systems.

Buying out OnLive and turning Apple TV into a client would be much more Apple-like, IMO.

I think Nintendo are actually talking about the portable market in this statement.

At the moment the iTouch\\iPhone\\iPad don't offer anywhere near the quality of gaming experience that the DSi does, but it doesn't really matter so much because they are portable and multi-functional. I can see how Nintendo would be worried that Apple will actually start releasing some quality games and move from the "ultra-casual" market to the more casual or even (*gasp*) hardcore market that the Nintendo DS relies on.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It all comes down to convenience and quality. The iBook app and iBookstore both look better than anything I've seen from the Kindle app.

For me it comes down to being able to move an ebook to another device in the future. I actually tend to re-read books after 5 or 10 years though, so I'm a bit crazy!
  • Reply 84 of 99
    atsysusaatsysusa Posts: 44member
    This announcement is the best indicator of Apple's future. Once ignore now viewed as a serious threat.

That is particularly good news for Apple - the enemy is incompetent.
  • Reply 85 of 99
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stargatesg1 View Post

I think Nintendo has had its time and its time for new generation more innovative companies to take control over the gaming market. I mean common Nintendo WII was just Gamecube with the wireless controllers. Satoru Iwata should sell Nintendo. But the sad thing is it will be just like General Motors a company who keeps recycling IDEAS and creating innovations. Yea don't get me wrong wireless motion controls its great but just a GIMMICK just like 3d TV's

You're a classic example of people with no vision. No one will ever buy an iPad because they didn't do anything that a computer won't do. No one will ever buy an iPod. The iPhone will never catch on.

"Wii is just Gamecube with the wireless controllers" misses the entire point. The Wii brought a new way of interacting with the game device. Previously, all the major game controllers focused on handheld controllers and each version going faster and faster the ones before. Higher resolution than the previous generation. More action in the game itself and a classic couch potato wrapped up in the game. The Wii changed that to the player acting the game.

Now, I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with the hard core gaming that some people enjoy. But Wii is something different-whether you're willing to acknowledge that or not.
  • Reply 86 of 99
    kung fu guykung fu guy Posts: 158member
    Enemy of the future statement is a bit over the top. Competitors certainly. Nintendo and Apple are rather similar in that they are innovators and have a singular vision of the future. Nintendo beat back Sony and Microsoft with a less powerful non-HD wii and ds. They are not on the ropes breathing their last breath. Its sony and ms that should be more worried of apple.

If apple is the enemy of the future, does that make it Skynet? Cool! I want my terminators pronto!
  • Reply 87 of 99
    bloodyceltbloodycelt Posts: 20member
    I think its more of the fact that Apple is creating a market that is dangerous. How much does one want to pay for an iPhone game maybe $10? And how much money do you think an app would make?

Consider that many games now cost more than movies to make? They could not make a profit using the App Store model. This means that the budget for a game goes down significantly for this model. Now in the possible (and unlikely) future that this software model becomes the dominant software model: cheap disposable software, it will marginalize big budget titles. This isn't just Call of Duty X but games like Okami and Ico. So for someone that is part of a culture in which games are supposed to eventually be regarded as art, this model doesn't work like that. I'm not talking horsepower, but anything artistic takes time which means money to do. (This doesn't effect single developers that are doing a game in their "free time". )

Granted that argument is like saying YouTube will take over recreational viewing from television and hollywood. It Could happen, but there isn't enough information to say it will. But I would think that if all movies were reduced to Chad Vader it would be sad. (Not that I don't like Chad Vader, but I also like Pan's Labyrinth).
  • Reply 88 of 99
    qualiaqualia Posts: 73member
    It seems that people underestimate Nintendo as much as they do Apple. I see them as very similar:

Both know that consumers don't care about specs so much as the overall experience.

Just as Apple arguably makes the highest quality products, Nintendo's hardware is also of the highest quality.

Both have become successful not by catering to the vocal geeks and hardcore gamers, but by targeting people other companies have largely ignored.

Both are DRACONIAN EVIL EMPIRES who make North Korea look like Heaven according to anti-Apple/anti-Nintendo fanboys.

Google, HP, and others will always try to ape Apple while Sony and Microsoft will try to win the Wii's market by focusing on bigger and better (and more expensive) hardware (or just ripping off Nintendo). They're all doofuses. Nintendo, however, is a worthy competitor to Apple and vice versa. I can't wait to see the most epic battle ever play out.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloodycelt View Post

I think its more of the fact that Apple is creating a market that is dangerous. How much does one want to pay for an iPhone game maybe $10? And how much money do you think an app would make?

Consider that many games now cost more than movies to make? They could not make a profit using the App Store model. This means that the budget for a game goes down significantly for this model. Now in the possible (and unlikely) future that this software model becomes the dominant software model: cheap disposable software, it will marginalize big budget titles. This isn't just Call of Duty X but games like Okami and Ico. So for someone that is part of a culture in which games are supposed to eventually be regarded as art, this model doesn't work like that. I'm not talking horsepower, but anything artistic takes time which means money to do. (This doesn't effect single developers that are doing a game in their "free time". )

Granted that argument is like saying YouTube will take over recreational viewing from television and hollywood. It Could happen, but there isn't enough information to say it will. But I would think that if all movies were reduced to Chad Vader it would be sad. (Not that I don't like Chad Vader, but I also like Pan's Labyrinth).

Chaos Rings is one of the only games I know that break that $9.99 barrier, but it seems to be a success. If more companies take the risks that Square Enix took, I think we could see pricier games in the future, which would hopefully also mean games of higher caliber.
  • Reply 89 of 99
    nolivingnoliving Posts: 90member
    Quote:

Even without upgrading the Wii, they need to fix their manufacturing problems. It's not rocket science. When you have to search 30 or more stores (including online) looking for a Wii and then have to pay over list on eBay in order to get one more than 2 years after product launch, there's a serious problem. They have undoubtedly lost customers who would have picked one up if it had been on the shelf.

Ya but you are neglecting the fact that Nintendo has been producing/manufacturing more wiis then Microsoft and sony have been producing xbox360's and ps3's combine, you can't really complain about Nintendo's manufacturing when they are out producing and outselling their competitors pretty much combined. The wii is the fast selling console in history, manufacturing of a wii has never been as high in the history of home consoles. The Wii is on track to outsell the ps2.
  • Reply 90 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Noliving View Post

Ya but you are neglecting the fact that Nintendo has been producing/manufacturing more wiis then Microsoft and sony have been producing xbox360's and ps3's combine, you can't really complain about Nintendo's manufacturing when they are out producing and outselling their competitors pretty much combined.

That's a foolish argument. They've been selling at the same rate for over 2 years and haven't managed to get a manufacturing operation that keeps up. Manufacturing should be designed to meet YOUR demand, not competitor's sales. The fact is that Nintendo has not been able to meet demand EVER.

It's understandable when you underestimate demand for a new product. But when you've got the amount of history that Nintendo has with the Wii and STILL can't fix your systems, there's a problem. There are a lot of ways to increase capacity and some of them aren't even very expensive. Nintendo needs someone who knows manufacturing.
  • Reply 91 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Qualia View Post

It seems that people underestimate Nintendo as much as they do Apple. I see them as very similar:

Both know that consumers don't care about specs so much as the overall experience.

Just as Apple arguably makes the highest quality products, Nintendo's hardware is also of the highest quality.

I wonder what it says about both the iPhone and DS that ours are all encased. The iPhones are in Showcases and the DSs in Nerf. Always had a case for my phone, though. My eldest's uncased DS became an SS (Single Screen) after she dropped it one too many times...

Specs can improve the overall experience, too. One of my nephews friends was wondering about the price of my 17 inch MacBookPro until he saw the screen elements were clear at the highest resolution. I presume on the cheaper Wintel boxes that's not possible.
  • Reply 92 of 99
    nolivingnoliving Posts: 90member
    Quote:

That's a foolish argument. They've been selling at the same rate for over 2 years and haven't managed to get a manufacturing operation that keeps up. Manufacturing should be designed to meet YOUR demand, not competitor's sales. The fact is that Nintendo has not been able to meet demand EVER.

It's understandable when you underestimate demand for a new product. But when you've got the amount of history that Nintendo has with the Wii and STILL can't fix your systems, there's a problem. There are a lot of ways to increase capacity and some of them aren't even very expensive. Nintendo needs someone who knows manufacturing.

Ya you know why? Because they have been able to meet demand, Amazon has them in stock now 24 hours a day, its been that way for at least a year. Your forgetting the fact that Nintendo got burned on the game cube in terms of sales in its earliest months, when it first came out they were selling like hot cakes, Nintendo built a whole bunch of manufacturing plants to meet demand only to have demand drop within the first 6 months making those new manufacturing plants a worthless investment that cost Nintendo hundreds of millions of dollars.

However you want to look at it, the Nintendo manufactures more wiis then both their competition combined, they are manufacturing more home consoles in the history of home consoles, and for the most part they were or are selling more than the combined sales of their competitors. I don't know about you but when you are manufacturing more wiis than both your competition combined that would suggest you are manufacturing to meet your demand and not your competitors sales. Frankly dude your argument is the one that is foolish, not mine when you look at the numbers and the history of console sales. Do you know how long it takes to get a new manufacturing plant to come online for a specific part? Do you know how long it takes to get a new factory to be put online to just assemble the parts? Do you know how much money it costs to build those plants and then to operate those plants? Do you know who makes the parts that Nintendo needs? Do you know about their contracts with the manufacturers? Not everyone can make an IBM processor or ATi videocard.

Finally, they have been able to meet demand for the past year heck even possibly the past two years, just go to amazon, they never sell out of the wii anymore unless it is months of November through December, go to best buy they have the wii in stock, its been that way for amazon and best buy for the past year. If you are not able to find wii's its because you have been going to stores that order like 5 of them at a time.
  • Reply 93 of 99
    williamgwilliamg Posts: 322member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lukevaxhacker View Post

Specs can improve the overall experience, too. One of my nephews friends was wondering about the price of my 17 inch MacBookPro until he saw the screen elements were clear at the highest resolution. I presume on the cheaper Wintel boxes that's not possible

"Cheaper" computers generally use cheap components, including cheap screens.

However, there certainly exist 17 inch notebooks at a price MUCH lower than the MBP which have better screens than the MBP.

No contest, even.
  • Reply 94 of 99
    maximaramaximara Posts: 409member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dreadkid08 View Post

Oh and the iPhone games are really that much better? I took a look in the store on my Mac and almost every game for iPhone (with the exception of Final Fantasy, Sonic, Megaman, and a few others) look like utter bulls***. I'd hardly call the games for the iphone/ipod touch/ipad quality games. Which would also explain their cheap prices

Come on anybody with any brains knows Sturgeon's Law is the rule no matter what you are looking at.
  • Reply 95 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post

"Cheaper" computers generally use cheap components, including cheap screens.

However, there certainly exist 17 inch notebooks at a price MUCH lower than the MBP which have better screens than the MBP. .

Name them.

Then, compare the other specs so it's clear what you're giving up to save money.
  • Reply 96 of 99
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Nothing much to this story. Japanese companies are famous for these types of rallying cries to fire up their troops. They do it all the time.

It's an age-old Japanese corporate thing.
  • Reply 97 of 99
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    The DS is 6 years old with no major update, the DSi is a pathetic refresh and is overpriced, no wonder they are afraid of Apple.
  • Reply 98 of 99
    spicedspiced Posts: 98member
    [QUOTE=Lemon Bon Bon.;1628287]Insightful.

I can see Nintendo going the way of Sega and becoming software only if they're not careful. Personally, I think the writing is on the wall for Nintendo. They got one upped by the usurper Sony with the Playstation I. Their Game Cube took a beating at the hands of the PS2. They repackaged the Game Cube into the Wii with the motion sensor thing. Sure, it was a lucky 'fad' for them. It's been near the top for two Christmas in a row. It's sold plenty and had a good run. The whole family pink purse angle on the Wii and the DS deserves some credit to Nintendo. But where they pioneered casual gaming, Apple is going to trample over their carcass and take casual gaming to the next level. ie the 'eco system' is where Apple have them beat. Plain and simple.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote from Underwood @ http://www.apple.com/iphone/business/profiles/unisys/

The development time for this app? A weekend. Underwood credits this quick turnaround to the iPhone Software Development Kit (SDK), which gives developers maximum functionality with minimum effort. The SDK?s Map Kit provides familiar online mapping features, while the UI Kit ensures a consistent look and feel that helps users get up and running quickly. ?It?s exciting not only for the development team, but for the management team to see so many new opportunities to meet client needs,? Underwood says.

So if these folks take a weekend to get something up, why not embrace and reborn
  • Reply 99 of 99
    Nintendo is definitely in for a fight against Apple in the handheld space. Nintendo may have to come up with a new name or way of advertising casual as the casual space has matured and what the Apple App store has and what Nintendo has are not entirely the same product. Sure there is some bleed over between the two, but currently, there is still some visible differences.

I'm a casual gamer. I haven't touched my Wii or DS in almost a year. Instead, I carry my iPod Touch with me almost everywhere, along with my cellphone, and play quick 5 min. gaming sessions when I'm out and about. I've played more mature game offerings on my Touch, like Dungeon Hunter and Street Fighter IV, when at home and it isn't long before the battery is drained and I have to plug in and continue playing tethered to the charger. It is these longer, more focused, gaming sessions that are the strength of a dedicated gaming machine like the Nintendo DS.

For as long as I can remember, I have never been a fan of all-in-one types of devices, instead preferring dedicated items that are designed to do one thing for very well. Five years ago, you could see me nearly everyday toting around a cellphone, iPod, DS, digital camera, Palm TX and cell phone in small messenger bag. Non techie friends and work mates would shake their heads in confusion at all the stuff I carried. Thanks to what Apple has done with the iPhone, the quality level of all in one devices has drastically increased and offerings from other manufacturers have gotten better just to stay competitive. I my self now think it's absurd to carry so many devices around and am looking to getting an iPhone as even two devices seems too much. I consider myself a late adopter to the all-in-one devices and think that the majority of consumers now expect to get everything they need out of one full time device, with maybe a second one that is used part time at best. Applying this trend to Nintendo's "We only do gaming" philosophy that I've heard for years is going to make Nintendo look like a dinosaur and may cause them to go extinct if they don't change and find a new way to market their products.