Dell announces Streak, a 5-inch Android-based iPad competitor

Comments

• Reply 21 of 130
    is the iPad even a phone ?

Come on, we know almost everyone here is a fanboy that needs to compared everything to the iDevices but the Dell Streak is a "phone". Should we compare the iPad to the next 4.3in Android device or the HTC EVO or the HD2?
  • Reply 22 of 130
    dylerdyler Posts: 37member
    What is wrong with Dell? This is a big phone, why in the hell would someone want a phone that big, this is stupidly ridiculous. It is just a huge phone, this is also going to be a huge flop!!!
  • Reply 23 of 130
    801801 Posts: 271member
    Dull product and doubly dull presentation video.
  • Reply 24 of 130
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Yeah, they're just comparing it against the iPad because it generates press. Really it's just another (really big) Android phone, and will compete against other phones, not the iPad or even iPod Touch. Will people be willing to carry around a really big phone to have a bigger screen on it? I don't see the market niche for it, personally, but who knows. Maybe they can get some exclusive games for their screen resolution or something.
  • Reply 25 of 130
    It's amazing how PC companies constantly misjudge the market. It starts with a basic question. What purpose does this product serve? It's a slightly bigger screen than an iPhone or other Android phone. I can see a market for maybe a 7-8 inch device. Something a little smaller than an iPad. I guarantee that the original design was for a bigger screen but they couldn't hit the price point they wanted to hit so they made the screen smaller. It makes absolutely no sense from a design perspective. No one would use this as there primary smart phone. So if you have to carry around a second device, why not make it bigger. They should have called it the iPaperweight...
  • Reply 26 of 130
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

Yeah, they're just comparing it against the iPad because it generates press. Really it's just another (really big) Android phone, and will compete against other phones, not the iPad or even iPod Touch. Will people be willing to carry around a really big phone to have a bigger screen on it? I don't see the market niche for it, personally, but who knows. Maybe they can get some exclusive games for their screen resolution or something.

It's obviously targeted at Apple haters. They can tote it around and try to convince people that it's better than an iPad. Who needs all that screen space? Plus, it's perfect for when you have a big call to make.
  • Reply 27 of 130
    clexmanclexman Posts: 209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

sorry but 5 inches is not a tablet.

I second that.

How is this an iPad competitor? Its like comparing a netbook to a 17" macbook.
  • Reply 28 of 130
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

It's obviously targeted at Apple haters. They can tote it around and try to convince people that it's better than an iPad. Who needs all that screen space? Plus, it's perfect for when you have a big call to make.

Of course it's better than an iPad... it will have flash!
  • Reply 29 of 130
    mdcatmdcat Posts: 79member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

If someone is to carry something in addition to a smart phone it better be bigger and better than that.

I hear its Dell codename was "the Weenie" ;-)
  • Reply 30 of 130
    cwingravcwingrav Posts: 83member
    Someone at marketing forgot to think of the naming implications...

Agreed about the size. I'm waiting on the next iPhone so I can stop carrying even a digital camera. Now Dell wants me to have two phones in my pockets. I'm hoping to get rid of keys and wallet someday, not add more stuff to carry.
  • Reply 31 of 130
    quevarquevar Posts: 101member
    I am thrilled to see so many of these types of devices coming on the market that ARE NOT RUNNING WINDOWS. This is the first time in years that there is a significant choice between operating systems other than OS X and Windows. This is the fastest way to push open formats like HTML5. I don't ever want to see a single OS dominate the cell market or the desktop market. Keeping healthy competition in this day and age will help force open formats, which will then mean it doesn't matter which OS you are running on.
  • Reply 32 of 130
    xtss33xtss33 Posts: 25member
    It's NOT an iPad. Someone in Marketing got a bonus for for calling an obvious smart phone a "pad". Nice try Dell - you'll get headlines, like this one, but you're not really fooling anyone but yourselves.
  • Reply 33 of 130
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Looks like a large Android phone.
  • Reply 34 of 130
    sacto joesacto joe Posts: 895member
    There's really good news for Apple here. First, it just doesn't compete against the iPad. So the branding that tries to do so will inevitably make the iPad look good.

Second, as a phone it doesn't present a real compelling reason to go to what amounts to a slightly larger form factor. So when the inevitable comparisons against the newest iPhone begin, it's once again inevitable that it'll make the iPhone look good.

Third, it can't compete against the iPod Touch on price points, unless they want to give it away.

Fourth, we won't even TALK about the stuff you can run on the iPlatform vs the competition. 'Nuff said.

Apple needs to send some flowers and a nice "thank you" card to Dell for this gift....
  • Reply 35 of 130
    jpellinojpellino Posts: 700member
    "Dell user interface enhancements."?

Somebody pinch me!
  • Reply 36 of 130
    intenseintense Posts: 106member
    This new Streak device drom Dell seems sweet, I'd love a bit of a larger screen in my iphone and the streak has flash support. I am not pro flash yet today I was trying to check rates and reservations, couldn't do it on my 3GS. Can't wait to try the Dell Streak, I hope the user interface matches the iPhone's.
  • Reply 37 of 130
    mizuinozmizuinoz Posts: 9member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sacto Joe View Post

There's really good news for Apple here. First, it just doesn't compete against the iPad. So the branding that tries to do so will inevitably make the iPad look good.

Second, as a phone it doesn't present a real compelling reason to go to what amounts to a slightly larger form factor. So when the inevitable comparisons against the newest iPhone begin, it's once again inevitable that it'll make the iPhone look good.

Third, it can't compete against the iPod Touch on price points, unless they want to give it away.

Fourth, we won't even TALK about the stuff you can run on the iPlatform vs the competition. 'Nuff said.

Apple needs to send some flowers and a nice "thank you" card to Dell for this gift....

I think what really cracks me up is that the product was announced on a blog!

Newsworthy enough? Not really - no press conference - no big developer's conference to show it off - Nada! - except a blog by the "chief blogger"...

Let's see:

Apprentice Blogger

Blogger

Chief Blogger

What's next?

Master Blogger

of course!

I commented somewhere that here in Oz (Australia) there are Apple Stores and Dell Kiosks... in the malls...

Kinda says it all, doesn't it?
  • Reply 38 of 130
    anakin1992anakin1992 Posts: 283member
    it awfully looks like PSP without game buttons... stupid sony...
  • Reply 39 of 130
    adamiigsadamiigs Posts: 355member
    IDGI it's a big android phone who wants that, it's too big to comfortably put in a pocket but too small looking to always carry around

btw the fragmenting of android continues
  • Reply 40 of 130
    macmondomacmondo Posts: 73member
    They don't dare to decide (and announce) the price of this Dell product before Apple reveals the new iPhone with its price.