Dell announces Streak, a 5-inch Android-based iPad competitor

Comments

• Reply 101 of 130
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

worthless comparisons are worthless

I'm glad you agree that comparing Macs sales to Dell sales to determine desire is worthless.
  • Reply 102 of 130
    2 cents2 cents Posts: 307member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Carly Fiorina was CEO of HP. (And championed/carried out/managed the HP-Compaq acquisition).

I knew that. Brain fart alert.
  • Reply 103 of 130
    groovetubegroovetube Posts: 557member
    the truth is, whether sad, or not, a huge number of people actually -do- desire the cheaper dells. I don't understand them, and have tried to reason with a few of them, was successful in convincing maybe a handful to buy a mac instead, but, they exist, and in huge numbers. I have come across quite a number of people who really can't understand why anyone would want a better designed mac.

There's all kinds of people out there, and they tend to have different views on what is and isn't important in a computer/device.
  • Reply 104 of 130
    cycomikocycomiko Posts: 716member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'm glad you agree that comparing Macs sales to Dell sales to determine desire is worthless.

Only somebody who cannot develop an anaolgy of their own would make that assumption
  • Reply 105 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post

It does not look like an Archos 5.

I would be willing to believe that Archos designed it specifically for Dell as it is very close in specs and appearance to the Archos 5. See http://www.archos.com/products/imt/archos_5/specs.html

I would be willing to believe that Archos designed it for Dell as Archos stock price has not cratered, but is up over the last few months. See http://www.euronext.com/trader/summa...&selectedMep=1

I didnt say it looked like an archos 5. I said it looked like an archos. I have a friend who still has one of the first archos before we even got iPod videos. I saw the last archos about a year ago and never kept up, but my first glance said it looked like an archos and the link you sent sort of supports my original assessment, rather than refute it.
  • Reply 106 of 130
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stevie View Post

Do you think that it is small enough to carry as a phone? I haven't seen one in person, but it seems big.

It might be-- you can get a 3x5 index card in a shirt pocket.

It's kinda' an in-between device-- not really a smart phone (or iPod Touch), not really a netback, not really an iPad, not really a laptop or tablet computer.

Someone posted that it might be a good transactor, like the FedEX and UPS guys carry.

• Reply 107 of 130
    Just as it does with Linux
  • Reply 108 of 130
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Yes of course the illogical lemmings come out, and you of course are logical to brand this is a very capable device based on a prototype (and we know where the ms and hp vapourware prototypes are now, up into thin vapour air), and a blog post. Absolutely no bias, just clear level headed thinking. Ah, and it has apparently "now come to market" too... would you care buying one tomorrow and letting us know then of your experience because you have a very strange conception of something coming to market.

How very ironic that you have the gall to call others derogatory names...

Nice one

In all this spitting in general Streak direction, no one bothered to notice that Kindle has only 6" screen and in number of reviews it was considered to be a perfect size for book reading. 5" shouldn't be much worst than that. In fact, I am doing a lot of reading on my iPhone, have completely adapted to it's size and to me 5" seems plentiful. I actually think that this device has better portability/size compromise than iPad.

Regarding software, with some luck Dell does not need to do much about it - if device sells, I'd expect apps and games from Android store will soon have versions for this screen size/resolution.

For me it could be interesting. Yes I would not like to be seen handing this to my ear, but that is nothing headphones or BT headset cannot fix. On the other side, bigger screen would help for browsing, typing messages etc. while device itself would not be much more uncomfortable to carry around than ordinary smart phone. Considering nowadays there are people who txt more than they talk over phones anyway, I think it definitely has potential.

Off the topic, I'm finding it amusing that people who were heartedly defending iPad from being called oversized iPod are among the first to call Streak oversized Android phone. Hypocrisy at it's best..?
  • Reply 109 of 130
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

sorry but 5 inches is not a tablet.

that's what she said

(sorry couldn't help myself)
  • Reply 110 of 130
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    I'm sorry but this Streak is garbage. It's just another Android phone, locked to O2 probably, so will have limited distribution, has to compete with iPhone HD released next month, sure, it has Flash, but it's a Dell, it's not big enough to even be a tablet, and it's too large to be a reasonable smartphone.

I call Fail on this one.

As some posters mention, nothing to see here, move along, fangeeks will be all like, oooh, but I don't think it will be a netbook replacement, nor a smartphone nor iPhone nor Blackberry replacement.

If I were a Dell shareholder I would wonder how many hundreds of millions of dollars in R&D, marketing, etc. was just pissed against a wall.

Blackberry, I can respect as a suitable alternative for those that don't think iPhone is suitable for them. Other Android phones, maybe some out there are reasonable and people like using them, good for them. But Dell, in this market space, with a neither-here-nor-there, thing, I think is utter crap.

Dell obviously didn't have the balls to go all the way with a 10-inch ACTUAL TABLET for fears of losing sales of their netbooks. This is just a, "look we're cool too... Stop switching to Macs, Dell is here, we're cool, we're hip, we're Android, we're Froyo'ed YEAH baby...".

Bollocks.

I had the displeasure of actually trying to use a Dell Axim about 7 years back. What a absolutely horrible experience that was.
  • Reply 111 of 130
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stevie View Post

Do you think that it is small enough to carry as a phone? I haven't seen one in person, but it seems big.

Compared to the 3GS it's 37.4mm (32%) higher and 17mm (27%) wider, and has a 42% larger screen size.

So it depends on the person I think. It would certainly fit in my pocket, but a girl in a tight pair of jeans would struggle!

It actually makes sense to me. The iPhone screen isn't large enough for any kind of serious movie\\TV watching, reading or web browsing. The iPhone is predominantly a phone, it just happens to do a lot of other stuff as well.

The Streak seems to fill that gap. It's big enough to watch a TV show on during the train ride to work, but it's also functional as a phone.

It's not going to set the world on fire as it seems like a very niche product. I hope it does well though and that Dell keep releasing different products. It's naive for us to think that there could possibly be a one-size-fits-all smartphone size.
  • Reply 112 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by easy288 View Post

I'll buy [a Streak]...I have absolutely NO need for a mobile phone or an iPhone. I would love a iPod Touch that had 3g wireless capability (call it a small iPad if you wish)! The only thing stopping me from buying a smartphone is the ridiculous prices you people are willing to pay for nonstop pointless jabbering.

Yeah, iPads are banned in Amish country. Maybe you might be able to sneak in a Streak.
  • Reply 113 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Groovetube View Post

the truth is, whether sad, or not, a huge number of people actually -do- desire the cheaper dells. I don't understand them, and have tried to reason with a few of them, was successful in convincing maybe a handful to buy a mac instead, but, they exist, and in huge numbers. I have come across quite a number of people who really can't understand why anyone would want a better designed mac.

There's all kinds of people out there, and they tend to have different views on what is and isn't important in a computer/device.

I know you're talking about the US primarily.

You have to keep in mind though outside the US in many countries the service and support provided by Dell is much better than Apple... because in many countries Apple relies on third-party resellers and service centers, although phone support is the official Apple call centre.

In terms of the Streak though, nothing to bother about, really.

My 2 cents I'd thought I'd throw in there.
  • Reply 114 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boogerman2000 View Post

You won't find that kind of logical thinking around here when Dell is involved. The Apple lemmings come out in droves at the very mention of the Name.

For the rest of us, it appears there is yet another very capable device that has now come to market, running a very capable OS, in a form factor that very well may hit the sweet spot for many.

I really don't see how this device is a competitor to the Ipad since the Ipad isn't a phone. Is Dell stating so?

Yet another capable device? Debatable.

Very capable OS? Yes, capable in potential.

Form factor that hits the sweet spot? Debatable.

iPad competitor? Yeah, maybe that's AppleInsider's spin.
  • Reply 115 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

With the obvious bulge I'll be sporting, this thing will likely make me a chick magnet. I'm gonna need bigger pockets.

LOL. BTW we can forget women purchasing this device (say goodbye to a lot of sales...) unless said women want to be perceived as trannies with that bulge in their pockets.
  • Reply 116 of 130
    (nevermind... Dumb joke)
  • Reply 117 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

More Dell fail. It's as if they're completely retarded when it comes to the prestige tech markets.

Well, some companies start up, then work hard, establish their core business, then just milk that, letting other stuff just slide. The R&D department seems to be the same as the Marketing department nowadays. Announce vapour, maybe, maybe push out some real half-assed products, voila. "We're hip and cool and innovative and the future!! Yeahh really !!1!1!11"...
  • Reply 118 of 130
    ozexigeozexige Posts: 215member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by andyjor View Post

Dell's entry into the tablet market was made official Tuesday with the Streak, previously shown at CES 2010 as a concept, now set to take on Apple's iPad in the U.K. in early June, and in the U.S. later this summer.

"<insert name here> - THE iPad Killer"?
  • Reply 119 of 130
    kiltedgreenkiltedgreen Posts: 605member
    Deleted!
  • Reply 120 of 130
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Look at that thing. They have done what most big companies do: gone to the market, sourced all the components, and just thrown them together. Where is the pushing of the limits?

Apple always pushes the limits. They tried to make a better case with unibody, a better battery, a better trackpad, better software (even going to far as to research their own compiler). It's amazing what people can do when faced with high expectations. And then we see this portrait of mediocrity from Dell.