Microsoft CEO Ballmer not worried about Apple's market cap

Comments

• Reply 41 of 105
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Would any other CEO survive that sort of performance, over such a long period of time? It can't hurt Ballmer's position that he's an old FOB and a major MSFT stockholder himself.

Seems like he'd look at his portfolio and start coming up with reasons to shape things up. Commentary on what goes on inside the company suggests that internal turf battles are often what hold them back. Steve Ballmer probably tolerated it, Steve Jobs would have had some heads roll.

Quote:

Think of what a pointless waste of effort that would be.

Yeah, stock splits don't really do anything, the psychological effect just doesn't hold up in this case. The idea that stock splits are beneficial has been largely abandoned, thankfully. Why there are still people that hold into it, I don't know, outside of just not getting the memo?
  • Reply 42 of 105
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,730member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Good points! The wind is certainly at Apple's back....Maybe MS needs more of a shake up than just changing to Division Heads?

I look at Ballmer's track record and can't help thinking of "They shoot horses don't they?"
  • Reply 43 of 105
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Ballmer needs to go. I want a Microsoft that can compete with Apple, the way he mishandled everything and yet remains is astonishing.
  • Reply 44 of 105
    zindakozindako Posts: 468member
    Could it be possible that there are no competent replacements for Ballmer over at Microsoft? Could it be no one has what it takes to drive that ship, or they're just lacking in overall talent and just reside to riding the windows operating system cash cow till the very end.
  • Reply 45 of 105
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    What a putz. He could have said something congratulatory and magnanimous and come out looking like a very smart guy playing a very canny hand close to his vest. But no, he has to lash out and claim the empire will fight back. Hey, Darth Ballmer, I wouldn't put all my faith in a new Death Star.
  • Reply 46 of 105
    zanshinzanshin Posts: 350member
    Ever watch boxing?

When boxers get hit with a hard shot, not enough to knock them down but really rocked them, they often smile and shake their head to indicate "you didn't hurt me" to their opponent. The ringside TV announcers always comment that whenever a fighter is smiling and saying "that didn't hurt," then that was a blow that hurt the most.

Ballmer is smiling and shaking his head. He isn't down, but he's been rocked to the core. Everyone knows that one hurt real bad.
  • Reply 47 of 105
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,466member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"I will make more profits and certainly there is no technology company in the planet which is as profitable as we are," Ballmer said. "Stock markets will take care of the rest."

While that might be true, if Apple brings out a good competitor to Exchange and a solid OS X Server that can become a reliable corporate server, then MS will be no more a giant.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"We are executing very well," the chief executive said. "That's going to lead to great products and great success."

"It's a long game," Ballmer was quoted as saying. "We have good competitors... We, too, are very good competitors."

Yea right, they "executed" their mp3 player, their tablet, and their new phones really well. Not to mention all the nightmares that came with IE or the sypware and virus vulnerabilities since Windows 95.
  • Reply 48 of 105
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Seems like he'd look at his portfolio and start coming up with reasons to shape things up. Commentary on what goes on inside the company suggests that internal turf battles are often what hold them back. Steve Ballmer probably tolerated it, Steve Jobs would have had some heads roll.

He might have the motivation, but not the ability. I have often wondered what sort of position he'd be in today if he hadn't been Bill's old poker buddy at Harvard. Probably middle management, running a department maybe, but not an entire company.
  • Reply 49 of 105
    bartbuzzbartbuzz Posts: 131member
    Ballmer needs to look at where Apple was just 5 years ago. I wonder what he'll say 5 years from now?
  • Reply 50 of 105
    applezillaapplezilla Posts: 941member
    Bill Gates' college roommate is a failure.
  • Reply 51 of 105
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

I wonder what he'll say when Apple's profits surpass Microsoft's....

While the market cap is a milestone achievement (despite what some of the bonehead posters with no economic knowledge want you to think), Apple is still a long way off from besting MS' profit. But that is expected as MS is software and Apple is HW and one making unbelievably high percentage of profits whilst the other doesn't.

At the current rate of growth it's growth it's possible for Apple to best MS on that level, too, but the next stop is besting their revenue, which looks like it will happen within the next year. Also, if Exxon keeps falling and/or Apple keeps rising, Apple becoming the highest valued company in the world is also possible within the next year.
  • Reply 52 of 105
    crift2012crift2012 Posts: 124member
    lol.. except in the mobile division, the xbox console department and microsoft's incompetence, the touchscreen magical trailer...err table...surface. How are those Window's Store..I heard a big hoopla and then *crickets....

I will say it here first..

Microsoft is Doomed?
  • Reply 53 of 105
    zindakozindako Posts: 468member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crift2012 View Post

lol.. except in the mobile division, the xbox console department and microsoft's incompetence, the touchscreen magical trailer...err table...surface. How are those Window's Store..I heard a big hoopla and then *crickets....

I will say it here first..

Microsoft is Doomed?
  • Reply 54 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Yeah, stock splits don't really do anything, the psychological effect just doesn't hold up in this case. The idea that stock splits are beneficial has been largely abandoned, thankfully. Why there are still people that hold into it, I don't know, outside of just not getting the memo?

If they don't do anything they why do they exist?

I know people that would like to invest in Apple if the cost per share was lower. Just because it's psychological doesn't mean it doesn't help. Just look at the psychological aspect of ending prices in 99¢.

Scenario: If you have a $1200 to invest, getting 48 shares of a $25 stock feels like you are more committed than getting 4 shares of a $250 stock. Now what if each share was $10,000 or $100,000? The buy-in price can clearly affect the way the stock acts. However, that does not mean that Apple wants the stock to be cheaper as there are many reasons to keep the stock price high.
  • Reply 55 of 105
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,466member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Bill Gates' college roommate is a failure.

Microsoft will be in the same position it is in today even if Bill Gates ran the company. The timing is coincidental. The reason Apple flourished this much is ecause of the genius of Steve Jobs and not the failure of Ballmer.

Not long ago Bill Gates stated that the future of the User Interface is a combination of a Stylus, physical keyboard, and a mouse!! Sheesh! What kind of user experience would that be
  • Reply 56 of 105
    atsysusaatsysusa Posts: 44member
    Yes Steve Balmer is the best thing that ever happened to Apple. Go Steve!!
  • Reply 57 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

If they don't do anything they why do they exist?

I know people that would like to invest in Apple if the cost per share was lower. Just because it's psychological doesn't mean it doesn't help. Just look at the psychological aspect of ending prices in 99¢.

Scenario: If you have a $1200 to invest, getting 48 shares of a $25 stock feels like you are more committed than getting 4 shares of a $250 stock. Now what if each share was $10,000 or $100,000? The buy-in price can clearly affect the way the stock acts. However, that does not mean that Apple wants the stock to be cheaper as there are many reasons to keep the stock price high.

You probably already know what I think. Someone who "feels" like they are getting more for their money because of a stock split should not be investing in stocks.
  • Reply 58 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

You probably already know what I think. Someone who "feels" like they are getting more for their money because of a stock split should not be investing in stocks.

Oooh yes, I know your point very well. And I do agree with it the contents of your point, I just don't agree with the overall affect it can have on a stock and that a split should never be done as there are very clear reasons why a company would want to do it.
  • Reply 59 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Oooh yes, I know your point very well. And I do agree with it the contents of your point, I just don't agree with the overall affect it can have on a stock and that a split should never be done as there are very clear reasons why a company would want to do it.

I wouldn't say never, but I don't think AAPL is close to the point where a split would be more than window dressing.
  • Reply 60 of 105
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    "We are executing very well," the chief executive said. "That's going to lead to great products and great success."

And that means more Windows licenses sold to hardware OEMs. Microsoft is in the Windows business, not the software business. This is why they have failed in consumer electronics. IT departments and HP and Dell are locked into the Windows business. Consumers aren't.