Microsoft hopes to triple iPhone's launch with Windows Phone 7

Comments

• Reply 101 of 156
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Not only do we have alternatives IMHO MS have lost credibility in the eyes of many. They are becoming the Buick of the tech world. Driven by old farts and always slow and in the way.

LOL! May I quote you?

BTW, I am a sophisticated elderly gentleman (old fart) who drives a Toyota. We have a club that meets everyday at the pub (after nap time). We prefer to be called DORFs (Drunk Old Retired Farts).

Our group's guiding principle is:

There are 3 things that you need to remember when you reach our age:

1) Never ignore an erection!

... er. ah, I can't remember the other 2.

• Reply 102 of 156
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by radster360 View Post

This is ridiculously funny! First, I don't know what's so great about Windows Mobile 7?

Well, nothing yet... it hasn't been released. The demo videos are certainly impressive however.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by radster360 View Post

There is nothing innovative about it. Microsoft doesn't know how to innovate.

There is a certain amount of irony involved in regurgitating that same old comment. FYI...

Xbox: 2001

Tablet PC: 2002

Media Center: 2002

Windows smartphone: 2003

Microsoft Surface (dev started): 2003

Xbox 360: 2005

Zune:2006

Project Natal: 2011?

Microsoft have a lot of very intelligent and innovative individuals working for them. What they lack is the managerial structure and cohesion to capitalize on those ideas. Or more specifically, Ballmer is a jackass.
  • Reply 103 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stevie View Post

Windows has more mindshare than Android. Everybody in the whole world knows "Windows".

Yeah... I guess a bad reputation is better than no reputation at all

• Reply 104 of 156
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

You didn't read the question which my post was in answer to.

I specifically posted the answer in response to a question about the future.

If you want to talk about reality, do it. But please don't butt into an existing conversation about future Win7 phones with an insistence that the subject be changed.

And please don't accuse me of being confused when you don't even know what the heck is currently under discussion in the subthread.

The difference, of course, is that your post was suggesting that the Dell Windows 7 phones were already a reality and therefore Microsoft's projections were real.

In the real world, the Dell Windows 7 mobiles are no more real than Courier.
  • Reply 105 of 156
    Quote:

They predict that they will sell 6 million phones per quarter on average for 5 quarters. They predict (as you do) that they will not be anywhere near RIM, Nokia and Android in sales.

They do not predict that they will even be in the top 5.

They do not predict that they will even outsell Apple, who also is not in the top 5.

Nice chart! Do you have one that applies to the category we are discussing, smart phones?

• Reply 106 of 156
    nondualnondual Posts: 78member
    Ever wonder if Microsoft DOES have a reality distortion generator, but they've accidentally aimed it TOWARD themselves instead of toward the intended audience?

Boy, I often wonder that when I hear Microsoft reps say pretty much anything.
  • Reply 107 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Patranus View Post

Sold to phone carriers or sold to customers?

If the carriers give one away with every purchase it is very easy to inflate numbers.

They still get paid for the 2nd (or 3rd) phone on licenses.
  • Reply 108 of 156
    Quote:

You didn't read the question which my post was in answer to.

I specifically posted the answer in response to a question about the future.

If you want to talk about reality, do it. But please don't butt into an existing conversation about future Win7 phones with an insistence that the subject be changed.

And please don't accuse me of being confused when you don't even know what the heck is currently under discussion in the subthread.

What's a subthread? Can I join, or better yet, ban it?

• Reply 109 of 156
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

So will these Win Phones require Norton, Kaspersky etc.. Will they always be requiring a restart after the tenth update that day? Will they get slower and slower and slower ...???

Also won't all these same manufactures be selling Android phones too? That might make life complicated for MS. I don't see them being able to bully manufacturers into exclusivity these days.

I've always wondered how you will able to do CTRL-ALT-DEL with a Windows 7 Tablet/Slate. However, it seems MS solved the problem with Window Phone 7. Pressing the three buttons (back-Windows-Bing) will probably will act like CTRL-ALT-DEL. No wonder MS requires all Windows Phone 7 to have three buttons, no more no less
  • Reply 110 of 156
    scotty321scotty321 Posts: 313member
    Is this an April Fool's joke? Because this is totally laughable.
  • Reply 111 of 156
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    [Cue music]

"But I can dream, can't I?"

[/Cue music]
  • Reply 112 of 156
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I've always wondered how you will able to do CTRL-ALT-DEL with a Windows 7 Tablet/Slate.

Best post of the thread.
  • Reply 113 of 156
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

Xbox: 2001

Tablet PC: 2002

Media Center: 2002

Windows smartphone: 2003

Microsoft Surface (dev started): 2003

Xbox 360: 2005

Zune:2006

Project Natal: 2011?

Microsoft have a lot of very intelligent and innovative individuals working for them. What they lack is the managerial structure and cohesion to capitalize on those ideas. Or more specifically, Ballmer is a jackass.

By virtue of including the Zune as a Microsoft innovation (a re branded toshi player...) you don't expect to be taken seriously now, do you? If you ask the very people who created, well, adopted actually the Zune from Toshi, if they were innovators they would laugh out loud themselves.
  • Reply 114 of 156
    edmalloyedmalloy Posts: 16member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vsp View Post

Buy 1 winPhone 7 and get 3 for free.

Actually, I think its buy 1 and get 47,311 free.
  • Reply 115 of 156
    edmalloyedmalloy Posts: 16member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

LOL! May I quote you?

BTW, I am a sophisticated elderly gentleman (old fart) who drives a Toyota. We have a club that meets everyday at the pub (after nap time). We prefer to be called DORFs (Drunk Old Retired Farts).

Our group's guiding principle is:

There are 3 things that you need to remember when you reach our age:

1) Never ignore an erection!

... er. ah, I can't remember the other 2.

never trust a fart, and

never pass a bathroom

btw, I drive a Buick fast. Sometimes very fast
  • Reply 116 of 156
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

I saw a video of King Kong climbing the Empire State building, but I don't honestly think it really happened.

lol so you think the office example won't be as good as it appeared to be?
  • Reply 117 of 156
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

By virtue of including the Zune as a Microsoft innovation (a re branded toshi player...) you don't expect to be taken seriously now, do you? If you ask the very people who created, well, adopted actually the Zune from Toshi, if they were innovators they would laugh out loud themselves.

Says "My Apple Love"... one thinks you'd better not start casting the "expect to be taken seriously now" stones just yet!

Truth be told I had it off the list and re-added it just before the post after deciding the 2nd gen UI, sharing and subscription service warranted its inclusion.

In any case agreement on anything Zune-related is of no consequence as there are plenty of other items on the list for you to complain about.
  • Reply 118 of 156
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Maybe you should learn to tell the difference between ALL mobile phones and smart phones. The overwhelming majority of phones sold (particularly from the top 5 vendors) are dumb phones - and it's unlikely that WinMob 7 is going on those. They would have to capture a huge fraction of smartphones.

According to IDC, the top 5 smartphone manufacturers are:

Nokia - 21.5 mil

RIM - 10.6 mil

Apple - 8.8 mil

HTC - 2.6 mil

Motorola - 2.3 mil

Total - 54.7 mil

If Microsoft sold 6 mil phones and we assume a zero sum game (which it's not), then Microsoft would need to capture 11% of today's smartphone market.

However, the report also states that the smartphone market is growing at 56.7% YoY. At this rate, the total market size in Q1 2011 will be 85.7 mil. Thus, Microsoft would only need to capture 7% of the Q1 2011 smartphone market.

In reality, the percentage of the market that Microsoft will need to grab in order to reach its 30 million target is likely to be even lower. Smartphone sales are cyclical, with the majority sold during the holiday season. The 2011 holiday season will be make or break for Microsoft.
  • Reply 119 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by edmalloy View Post

never trust a fart, and

never pass a bathroom

btw, I drive a Buick fast. Sometimes very fast

Ha!

• Reply 120 of 156
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Ha!

I've heard that never trust a fart line. I CAN'T WAIT TO GET OLD! What a nightmare