Apple releases Safari 5 with extensions, expanded HTML5 support

Comments

• Reply 81 of 184
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by el-extranjero View Post

Safari will be looked at in a different way, for sure. Extensions had to be inevitable as the competition (Firefox and Chrome) have had them for a while.

I'm glad Safari opens up now to new possibilities.

These extensions seem very different than Firefox and Chrome. They can only use HTML5, CSS3, and JS. They seem more like Dashboard Widgets for Safari than plug-ins for your browser.
  • Reply 82 of 184
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    so anyone complaining it's slowed down on Intel hardware are full of crap and need to check out their personal Library with whatever junk they've added in there that might be incompatible.
  • Reply 83 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

so anyone complaining it's slowed down on Intel hardware are full of crap and need to check out their personal Library with whatever junk they've added in there that might be incompatible.

Seems about the same speed for me. Then again, I try not to make it a habit to use an atomic clock to see if it's the next version is actually faster.

I have to really say I'm impressed with the reader feature.

As for the extensions, meh. Can't really see me having any real need for them.
  • Reply 84 of 184
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WPLJ42 View Post

I am glad to see the blue progress bar's return. Seems slower though. Also Reader is not available in 10.5.8.

Actually, it is.

But Reader only works once a page is fully loaded. And, even then, it only works on some pages with ads, etc.
  • Reply 85 of 184
    mercivicmercivic Posts: 21member
    Safari 5 loads AppleInsider.com a lot better than Safari 4. With Safari 4, my MacBook's CPUs would meltdown immediately.
  • Reply 86 of 184
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Makes me think, what are all the IE programmers doing at MS? Sleeping?

Have you seen the IE9 preview? The IE devs are more on track than they have ever been in the past. They are focusing on hardware acceleration which is exactly where they should be looking.

We are very close to being at a point when JavaScript speed tests won't mean jack. If HTML5 is ever going to replace Flash then GPU acceleration is the key.

Of course Apple/Google/Mozilla/Opera know this as well and are all at various stages of adding GPU acceleration, and they will probably all be to market before IE9, but it's not like the IE devs are sitting around doing nothing.

I'd love if someone could run the demos below in Safari 5 as I won't get a chance to install and test it for a few days. The IE9 preview never drops below 60fps on my PC.

Browser Flip

Flying Images
  • Reply 87 of 184
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrpiddly View Post

Sunspider on 10.6 if anyone is interested:

Safari 5: 295.8ms +/- 0.8%

Chrome 5: 337.8ms +/- 2.6%

No WebGL even though it has been in webkit for a while.

WebGL is more influx than HTML 5 and considering Apple is the Editor of WebGL via Chris Marrin I think they know how far along it has come.

There is a lot of documentation missing from the Draft Specification.

I'd love to have it ready for prime time, but as you said, we can always test code and write against WebKit Nightly until the time comes for another point release to see WebGL ready fro prime time.
  • Reply 88 of 184
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    I doubt WebGL is ready yet. When its mixed with Canvass and CSS3. That's when Adobe will really be sweating.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrpiddly View Post

No WebGL even though it has been in webkit for a while.

• Reply 89 of 184
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Hmmm... I think I will like reader. Its something that I did not realize was missing. But I like it.
  • Reply 90 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

Have you seen the IE9 preview? The IE devs are more on track than they have ever been in the past. They are focusing on hardware acceleration which is exactly where they should be looking.

We are very close to being at a point when JavaScript speed tests won't mean jack. If HTML5 is ever going to replace Flash then GPU acceleration is the key.

Of course Apple/Google/Mozilla/Opera know this as well and are all at various stages of adding GPU acceleration, and they will probably all be to market before IE9, but it's not like the IE devs are sitting around doing nothing.

I'd love if someone could run the demos below in Safari 5 as I won't get a chance to install and test it for a few days. The IE9 preview never drops below 60fps on my PC.

Browser Flip

Flying Images

I'm getting 60fps on both of them, but they do drop down below 60fps. I'd say I have an average of 58fps on the first test and 55fps on the second test. Strangely, I tested this in Chrome 5 and they both drop to 5fps — yeah, five fps — or below.
  • Reply 91 of 184
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Awesome! I got just about every item on my wish list for Safari. I may dump Firefox yet. Maybe not yet.
  • Reply 92 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

These extensions seem very different than Firefox and Chrome. They can only use HTML5, CSS3, and JS. They seem more like Dashboard Widgets for Safari than plug-ins for your browser.

Yes they seem to be more like widgets. I guess this is Apple's way of opening up Safari.

Nevertheless, new possibilities.

Unfortunately, It seems stuff like Inquisitor will still not be part of this "extensions" program.
  • Reply 93 of 184
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by patrickwalker View Post

Nope. Android trolls are screaming about the bezel now. It uses up 46% more bezel space than other phones.

When they are whining about the bezel you know they really have nothing to say.
  • Reply 94 of 184
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,898member
    Macbook Pro i7 with 8 gigs ram. Took Safari 5 on a little trip to the Apple site to view the FaceTime video. Got about 5 seconds of video followed by a freeze frame and beach ball for 20 seconds. Then the video zoomed forward super fast to where it would have been after 20 seconds. Then it beachballed again. Reloaded the page and it played fine. Similar issues with the iPhone 4 video.

Not impressed. Can I have Safari 4 back now please?
  • Reply 95 of 184
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

Macbook Pro i7 with 8 gigs ram. Took Safari 5 on a little trip to the Apple site to view the FaceTime video. Got about 5 seconds of video followed by a freeze frame and beach ball for 20 seconds. Then the video zoomed forward super fast to where it would have been after 20 seconds. Then it beachballed again. Reloaded the page and it played fine. Similar issues with the iPhone 4 video.

Not impressed. Can I have Safari 4 back now please?

That's pretty sad. My machine pales in comparison to yours and it handled the video like a champ.
  • Reply 96 of 184
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

They're still fun to watch, though.
  • Reply 97 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by el-extranjero View Post

Yes they're see to be more like widgets. I guess this is Apple's way of opening up Safari.

Nevertheless, new possibilities.

Unfortunately, It seems stuff like Inquisitor will still not be part of this "extensions" program.

You can always do a plug-in like ClickToFlash or 1Password does. Or even get heavy handed like PithHelmet, but that often means you can't update your browser as often.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by patrickwalker View Post

Nope. Android trolls are screaming about the bezel now. It uses up 46% more bezel space than other phones.

What's this about the bezel?
  • Reply 98 of 184
    hezetationhezetation Posts: 674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Did we gain tabs on top? When can we download this thing?

no tabs on top for me please, if I need extra screen I go full screen using glims.

Glims & click2flash still work, yeah!!
  • Reply 99 of 184
    bartfatbartfat Posts: 434member
    Wow! Webpages loading blazingly fast in WebKit nightly now after downloading Safari 5. Amazing!
  • Reply 100 of 184
    2stepbay2stepbay Posts: 116member
    CosmoPod may create compatibility problems.