AT&T website hack leaks iPad 3G user emails

Comments

• Reply 41 of 81
    shobizshobiz Posts: 207member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

Am I wrong in my belief that hundreds of people in the USA have smart phones on the Verizon network that do not have the issues that iPhone customers have?

I do know that in the New York Metro Area, AT&T had horrible service in the late 90's, nearly a decade before the world had iPhones. So I think there are issues with the network.

I don't know how cell phones work, but I do know that a cell phone does work on the Verizon network and it doesn't work on AT&T in my area. Verizon rules in New York. This wouldn't be true if people were walking around dropping calls.

Steve Jobs says any network would be strained with iPhone traffic. Perhaps so. Isn't that the best argument to have multiple carriers?

Apple is all about the experience. For years we have happily paid an "apple tax" for products that "just work out of the box." What kind of experience is dropping an important call over and over? Not a very good one. What did he say at the keynote when he couldn't get online? "I don't like this." Good Steve. Now you know how I have felt every day for two years.

Of course it's a moot point. There is no Verizon iPhone and according to Steve Jobs, this is a good thing. So that's the way it's going to stay. So I guess there is nothing left to argue about.

I read on one of these Apple bash AT&T sites that AT&T moves more data from the iPhone than all other carriers do combined from all smart phones. I doubt V is even close to the amount of data AT&T moves. We can complain about a single carrier for the iPhone all day long and it will not change it. (As the past several years of complaining here show)
  • Reply 42 of 81
    yensid98yensid98 Posts: 311member
    Now I'm even more glad that I got the Wi-Fi only iPad. :-)
  • Reply 43 of 81
    rnp1rnp1 Posts: 175member
    [QUOTE=SHOBIZ;1649608]I read on one of these Apple bash AT&T sites that AT&T moves more data from the iPhone than all other carriers do combined from all smart phones.

The simple solution is to open the iPhone to all carriers and lighten the load! They did that with the Blackberry, exclusive to T mobile, then open to all.

Rather than switch from ATT, just allow the others to provide service. No more gripes about which one is better.No more hacks and unlocks needed. Find out who is best by opening the iphone to everyone!

TIMES UP!
  • Reply 44 of 81
    bulk001bulk001 Posts: 764member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SHOBIZ View Post

I read on one of these Apple bash AT&T sites that AT&T moves more data from the iPhone than all other carriers do combined from all smart phones. I doubt V is even close to the amount of data AT&T moves. We can complain about a single carrier for the iPhone all day long and it will not change it. (As the past several years of complaining here show)

Which makes the case for having the iPhone on more than one network. It should be available on all 4 major carriers to help share the load. Oops, beat to the punch by nrp
  • Reply 45 of 81
    jerseymacjerseymac Posts: 408member
    Quote:

Does AT&T move more data than Verizon in the whole world or just the USA?

I was comparing VZ to ATT in the New York metro area specifically because that is the only area I am qualified to comment about. Ten years ago I couldn't make a cell phone call on ATT. That's why I switch to VZ. What was the VZ to ATT ratio back then?

As far as complaining, I do think Apple listens to traffic on the internet. That is why I complain. It sure isn't for the satisfaction of getting my head handed to me every time I make a post here. (I don't mean you.)
  • Reply 46 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bulk001 View Post

Which makes the case for having the iPhone on more than one network. It should be available on all 4 major carriers to help share the load. Oops, beat to the punch by nrp

[QUOTE=rnp1;1649615]
    Quote:

I read on one of these Apple bash AT&T sites that AT&T moves more data from the iPhone than all other carriers do combined from all smart phones.

The simple solution is to open the iPhone to all carriers and lighten the load! They did that with the Blackberry, exclusive to T mobile, then open to all.

Rather than switch from ATT, just allow the others to provide service. No more gripes about which one is better.No more hacks and unlocks needed. Find out who is best by opening the iphone to everyone!

TIMES UP!

I do not disagree, but why do so many waste so much time and space on these sites with childish, unproductive, disruptive BS instead which at times is difficult to not get caught up in? Obviously Apple would be using another or additional carrier if they could or wished to.
  • Reply 47 of 81
    macosxpmacosxp Posts: 152member
    Apple, how many reasons do you need before switching from AT&T to Verizon or Sprint or something?

Limited and expensive data plans

Poor reliability and coverage

Unable to do FaceTime or a number of other things over their 3G

Slowish speeds

Security flaw on website...

Come on already! The world and plenty of potential customers are waiting!
  • Reply 48 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

Does AT&T move more data than Verizon in the whole world or just the USA?

I was comparing VZ to ATT in the New York metro area specifically because that is the only area I am qualified to comment about. Ten years ago I couldn't make a cell phone call on ATT. That's why I switch to VZ. What was the VZ to ATT ratio back then?

As far as complaining, I do think Apple listens to traffic on the internet. That is why I complain. It sure isn't for the satisfaction of getting my head handed to me every time I make a post here. (I don't mean you.)

eh, your complaint is not even comparible to some of the stuff I have seen.

Reasonable discussion about issues or just dislikes is no problem by me. Some of the other rants such as "AT&T is just here to F#@k us" are just silly, a waste of time and resources.

I would just like to see more conversation about Apple and its products. That is what drove me to this site instead of 9to5mac to begin with. Hitting my Favs and going to the AppleInsider home page everyday and seeing AT&T did this or AT&T did that is not appealing. I guess it does get their click throughs though.\\

\\

• Reply 49 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by technohermit View Post

Please see urbandictionary or wikipedia for goatse. Doing so will show you it probably isn't good.

No, actually go to encyclopediadramatica.com and search for goatse. You'll never be the same. Definitely NSFW
  • Reply 50 of 81
    This is not the first time or the last where personal data is hacked over the internet.

Whether you like it or not, your personal data (credit cards, medical history, purchase history, salary, etc) is contained in hundreds, if not thousands, of databases that are accessible by thousands, if not millions, of employees who can access this data, legally or not.

Welcome to the Internet Age.
  • Reply 51 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

This is not the first time or the last where personal data is hacked over the internet.

Whether you like it or not, your personal data (credit cards, medical history, purchase history, salary, etc) is contained in hundreds, if not thousands, of databases that are accessible by thousands, if not millions, of employees who can access this data, legally or not.

Welcome to the Internet Age.

And I bet that data will likely be getting hacked when we are in the ground to. (They can have it then )
  • Reply 52 of 81
    [QUOTE=SHOBIZ;1649618]
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rnp1 View Post

I do not disagree, but why do so many waste so much time and space on these sites with childish, unproductive, disruptive BS instead which at times is difficult to not get caught up in? Obviously Apple would be using another or additional carrier if they could or wished to.

It's Apple's choice. They alone decide exclusivity. Obviously, Apple is getting more kickback from 1 carrier verses multiple carriers....which is why they have decided to remain with just AT&T.

I think that Apple still remembers Verizon's ignorance and arrogance by refusing to work with Apple.

My money is on T-Mobile as the next carrier....they use the same 3G standard as AT&T.
  • Reply 53 of 81
    [QUOTE=noexpectations;1649631]
    Quote:

It's Apple's choice. They alone decide exclusivity. Obviously, Apple is getting more kickback from 1 carrier verses multiple carriers....which is why they have decided to remain with just AT&T.

I think that Apple still remembers Verizon's ignorance and arrogance by refusing to work with Apple.

My money is on T-Mobile as the next carrier....they use the same 3G standard as AT&T.

I would not dismiss Apple remembering Verizons response either and T-Mobile would be interesting to see (hopefully) grow customers and improve competition.
  • Reply 54 of 81
    mikesmokemikesmoke Posts: 58member
    Could be a back door trick by AT&T to run off users grandfathered in on the unlimited plan.
  • Reply 55 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MikeSmoke View Post

Could be a back door trick by AT&T to run off users grandfathered in on the unlimited plan.

If you guys delve into Goatse Security and see what they're about you'll discover that they have a burning hatred for mac users. This is probably their main motivation.
  • Reply 56 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by franksmith22 View Post

If you guys delve into Goatse Security and see what they're about you'll discover that they have a burning hatred for mac users. This is probably their main motivation.

I'd believe that before I did the silly conspiracy theory of the previous post.

BTW,another Apple blog site states, "Matt Buchanon had a little conversation with AT&T security chief Ed Amororo on the hack" There is no Ed Amororo at AT&T.

The last r should be a s.
  • Reply 57 of 81
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yensid98 View Post

Now I'm even more glad that I got the Wi-Fi only iPad. :-)

I assume you don't have an iPhone, then?
  • Reply 58 of 81
    bulk001bulk001 Posts: 764member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by franksmith22 View Post

No, actually go to encyclopediadramatica.com and search for goatse. You'll never be the same. Definitely NSFW

I could have done without seeing that!
  • Reply 59 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bulk001 View Post

I could have done without seeing that!

I said you'll never be the same. The logo now makes sense doesn't it.
  • Reply 60 of 81
    masternavmasternav Posts: 442member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

It's an embarrassment because Apple married themselves to an also-ran provider.

It's an embarrassment because people expect better overall experience from Apple products. As a customer, I'd have zero patience for "It's not our fault".

The only question here is how the other telcos will respond. Will they say "Steve, now are you ready to talk?", or will they say "Ha! F-you!" ?

Verizon did the refusal first when presented to by Apple. So Apple took it to Cingular who was in the process of buying out ATT. Verizon has the lousiest track record when it comes to selection of cellphones, charging for features originally provided by the mfgr but locked by Verizon, so you could pay a premium to unlock that feature. Not to mention some of the highest (until recently) data network charges - from a former Verizon customer. And yet Apple iPhone users surveyed reported the highest satisfaction rating in the entire industry - far beyond ANY other cellphone.

AND

You embarrass entirely too easily. Don't think for a minute that Apple hasn't mapped out it's expansion strategy well ahead of all the criticism. But more importantly time and again user surveys have shown that users, while complaining about the ATT coverage still report extreme satisfaction with the iPhone itself.

AND

They are trying to negotiate with Apple not vice versa - no other cellphone ecosystem has the strength, the delivery system or support. Period. They are trying to wangle the best deal they can in light of the iPhone market strength. And Apple is looking critically at their systems to see if they can support the kind of data networking that the iPhone population demand places on a network.