Apple releases iOS 4 for iPhone, iPod touch

Comments

• Reply 121 of 257
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by super8sean View Post

I am a app developer and apples techs thoroughly explained the background processes to us.

NOW HEAR THIS!!!!!!!!!!:Apps in the background do not use up power or resources. They are in a suspended state.

Perhaps, but with Navigon loaded my phone is sluggish. If I kill it, all is well. There it is.

Otherwise, I agree - it's pretty slick.
  • Reply 122 of 257
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by user23 View Post

on my latest gen. iPod touch I noticed (with the iOS 4 update) it now has "airplane mode" for some reason. Seems redundant when I normally just switch Wi-Fi off.

Airplane kills wifi and bluetooth as apposed to wifi only?
  • Reply 123 of 257
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by whitey View Post

Theres no settings for MMS in the settings menu for Messages.

So is MMS working or no?
  • Reply 124 of 257
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

Even though the first model was a luxury device

It's only a "luxury device" to internet wags who are either unwilling or unable to understand that there are many kinds of needs in this world, and it's perfectly OK for devices to exist that don't meet their specific needs.

For my father who normally eschews computers due to their inherit complexity and generally being a pain in the a$$ and my best friends mother with severe arthritis that the touch interface on the iPad pretty much negates, the iPad is the perfect primary device.

I guess when your whole schtick revolves around PC's, all the problems in the world are PC shaped nails that a general purpose computer is required to solve.

The success of the iPad proves otherwise

Quote:

If anything Apple is trying to accelerate this process towards the iPad. I believe he thinks this is device to end the Windows monopoly. Jobs has been quoted long ago as believing that the Mac has lost the PC wars and that he would move on to the next great thing. The iPad is it.

They aren't accelerating anything - they are following a carefully laid out plan of steady and incremental upgrades.

You are right about one thing - the iPad is "the next great thing". It's the next stage of general purpose computing. I don't see Windows or Mac OSX going away any time soon, but I do see the iOS being more widely deployed than both Windows and Mac combined in less than five years.

And even if that happens, it still doesn't threaten the Mac or Windows. This isn't a zero sum game
  • Reply 125 of 257
    jdsonicejdsonice Posts: 156member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's latest operating system upgrade for the iPhone, iOS 4, was released Monday, packed with over 100 new features including multitasking and folders.

For more, see First Look: Apple's iOS 4 for iPhone, iPod touch.

Updated my 3G and it took time - almost an hour start to finish. Went through with no issues and everything is working great.

One thing to watch out for. The update reset the passcode to off.

JDS
  • Reply 126 of 257
    whiteywhitey Posts: 6member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skiracer1987 View Post

So is MMS working or no?

I've just restored the 3GS without using my backup of the iPhone with 3.1.3 and the option to turn on MMS in the settings menu is available. So you will need to start fresh.
  • Reply 127 of 257
    clark80clark80 Posts: 28member
    Straight after update I was prompted to update my carrier settings. Looking good
  • Reply 128 of 257
    I hate iOS 4 on my 2nd gen iTouch. Hate. It. I expected to be happier because of some features I expected to be there but ultimately weren't... I knew it wouldn't support multi-tasking, but seriously? Home page wallpapers exclusively for the newer products?! Jailbreakers can have a custom background and multitask on something even as old as a 2nd Gen iTouch. I'm in a bit of a crunch for cash right now and I'm in no position to buy a new iTouch. You know what? #$*& it. I'm selling my iPod touch. Selling it. I'd rather use my Pre than this. At least I can do everything on my Pre that I was able to do on my iTouch, PLUS multitask and have a changeable background image. Hmph! Oh, and make phone calls.
  • Reply 129 of 257
    jwyattjwyatt Posts: 93member
    I can't seem to view album art in landscape, album view. Am I missing the new "lock screen orientation" feature ? Awesome otherwise.

Okay, found the screen orientation lock...that's not it. Is anyone else able to view album art in landscape ?
  • Reply 130 of 257
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by espeed623 View Post

I hate iOS 4 on my 2nd gen iTouch. Hate. It. I expected to be happier because of some features I expected to be there but ultimately weren't... I knew it wouldn't support multi-tasking, but seriously? Home page wallpapers exclusively for the newer products?! Jailbreakers can have a custom background and multitask on something even as old as a 2nd Gen iTouch. I'm in a bit of a crunch for cash right now and I'm in no position to buy a new iTouch. You know what? #$*& it. I'm selling my iPod touch. Selling it. I'd rather use my Pre than this. At least I can do everything on my Pre that I was able to do on my iTouch, PLUS multitask and have a changeable background image. Hmph! Oh, and make phone calls.

How happy were you with your iPod Touch *before* the update to iOS 4?
  • Reply 131 of 257
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:

I've just restored the 3GS without using my backup of the iPhone with 3.1.3 and the option to turn on MMS in the settings menu is available. So you will need to start fresh.

Glad to see a restore fixed that for you.
  • Reply 132 of 257
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:

Apple isn't the first company to set in artificial limitations to get you to upgrade to their latest product.

Hell just look at Microsot and DX10. For a long time, it really couldn't work in XP, but since nvidia couldn't do what was needed for DX10, Microsoft lifted one of the requirements (which happened to be the only requirement keeping it off XP.) In the end, dx10 is still vista and up for absolutely no reason other than to get you to upgrade.

It's absolute horse sh**
  • Reply 133 of 257
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

The big problem I've seen with iOS 4 on my 2nd Gen touch is it's sucking up my battery life when I'm not using it. When it ran 3.1.3 I could leave it locked all weekend and the battery would be down only a little bit on Monday morning. Now leaving it locked for a just a few hours knocks the battery down 25%.

I'm seriously unimpressed with that "feature" of the new OS.

Considering your product isn't supported officially, for iOS 4 I would think you'd stick with 3.1.3.
  • Reply 134 of 257
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bancho View Post

How happy were you with your iPod Touch *before* the update to iOS 4?

Frankly, I was relatively happy. I say that because I've been a Mac user for well over 3 years and an iPod user for a little longer. I've loved the OS on the iPod and the general experience, but I was wanting something I wouldn't get. I was excited because I was expecting so much more from an OS update for a mobile device that ultimately disappointed me in the end.
  • Reply 135 of 257
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:

There's a post over on the Apple forums indicating that this can be fixed by manually editing the,
    Settings >> Network >> Cellular Data Network
    settings, but obviously you need to know what to set them to.

http://discussions.info.apple.com/th...rt=15&tstart=0
  • Reply 136 of 257
    jpcgjpcg Posts: 114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Mine hasn't moved from the "Backing up" state for about an hour and a half. Starting to wonder if I should stop and restart...

Don't worry mine (iPod touch 2G 16gig) needed about the same time and suddenly the progress bar was jumping forward. Just hang on a little bit longer.

It is installing now
  • Reply 137 of 257
    scaniescanie Posts: 13member
    It seems iBooks is way too slow on a 3G.

A4 and 512 Mo would ad so much convenience...

But what a pleasure to hold thousands of (free) classics pages on your hand.

A reason to consider getting an iPhone 4, and to dream of an iPad.

iBooks should work on iTunes/OSX...
  • Reply 138 of 257
    Does anyone know if iOS 4 brought homescreen wallpaper to the iPhone 3G? It doesn't seem to show up anywhere, but I don't understand why Apple wouldn't include it in the 3G as well as the 3GS and 4.
  • Reply 139 of 257
    bartbuzzbartbuzz Posts: 131member
    Well, I'll add my upgrade experience. It took over an hour and a half to upgrade to iOS 4 for my 2G iPod Touch. No problems but it sure did take a long time. I had about 80 apps plus 14GB of music and some photos. Now I can start checking out the new capabilities.
  • Reply 140 of 257
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Frankly, I was relatively happy. I say that because I've been a Mac user for well over 3 years and an iPod user for a little longer. I've loved the OS on the iPod and the general experience, but I was wanting something I wouldn't get. I was excited because I was expecting so much more from an OS update for a mobile device that ultimately disappointed me in the end.

Your expectations were unrealistically high. You have to take all hype with a pinch of salt. The let down you feel is common but I think you may be a little rash in your utter condemnation. You've had the update for what - 30 minutes? No matter what Apple or anyone says updates are rarely 'revolutionary'. The original iPhone was quite close in my opinion but in the end you are still browsing the web and writing emails. Manage your expectations and you may find you'll be happily surprised more often.