Some iPhone 4 launch units lose signal when held with left hand

Comments

• Reply 241 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

I have this problem and I am a left handed phone user!

However, it does it on both my hands.

Then it can only means that the new iphone is allergic to lefties, that is now a scientific fact!

P.S.: Both mine and my wife's new iphones have none of this issue. But then again, we're both righties.
  • Reply 242 of 445
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Noooo, he used the antennae!

An antenna? I don't know much, but that doesn't sound very satisfying for anyone, especially not Ms. Scarlett. She's been around
  • Reply 243 of 445
    rogerwarogerwa Posts: 2member
    I am experiencing this same problem on my iPhone 4 as well. I don't completely lose signal, but the bars do drop. I went to a friend who has a 3GS running the latest software in the 3.x series and his phone does the same thing so it doesn't seem to be an iOS 4 problem or specific to the iPhone 4. He keeps a cover on his phone as I did with my 3GS. We took the cover off and held the phone as described by most on this forum.
  • Reply 244 of 445
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    lol i just saw a comment on a youtube vid that said this was a special treat from the dead foxconn employees

ah, the internet.
  • Reply 245 of 445
    ha Glad u guys are working out the bugs in the states i now see why apple saved the best for the last LOL

just joking

Canadian
  • Reply 246 of 445
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    IANAEE (I am not an electronics engineer) but if this is a software issue as some are reporting Apple has admitted to, then perhaps the system is supposed to dynamically adjust the impedance of the antennas when touched and the software isn't doing this properly (yet).
  • Reply 247 of 445
    hoganhogan Posts: 94member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

That's nice. Now, show me where the statistics are that show the prevalence of the problem. Apple is rumored to sell up to 1 M iPhone 4 phones today (I don't believe it - I doubt if they have the supply for 4 M, but it will clearly be in the 500,000+ range). A few dozen reports of a problem is not a life or death matter. As soon as there are some statistically valid figures, we'll have an idea how big the problem is.

Calling someone dimwitted simply because they propose waiting for data before panicking is foolish.

There is no data on the number of handsets afflicted by the problem, or how limited or widespread the problem actually is, but I think you'd struggle to find anyone who has asserted it's "a life or death matter." Nevertheless, some recent buyers are unhappy but I expect that Apple will replace any defective handsets.

The "dimwitted" poster asserted that he had yet to see any evidence of calls being dropped because of the deteriorating signal issues when there were numerous reports on this thread, other threads on this forum, and many included video links demonstrating the problem. He hadn't bothered to read the thread on which he was commenting. That was dim and witless.
  • Reply 248 of 445
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    CNET reporting the issue as well with more than a few phones:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGxENOp4XUQ

• Reply 249 of 445
    moofrankmoofrank Posts: 15member
    I was wondering why there were so many good reviews of the phone. My call quality sucks.

As a few tests, I have a nice spot at my desk with perfect reception and full bars.

My 4g in my left hand will fail to get emails, and calls have terrible quality. While getting emails, the phone will drop back to Edge mode before being unable to contact the server.
  • Reply 250 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by moofrank View Post

I was wondering why there were so many good reviews of the phone. My call quality sucks.

As a few tests, I have a nice spot at my desk with perfect reception and full bars.

My 4g in my left hand will fail to get emails, and calls have terrible quality. While getting emails, the phone will drop back to Edge mode before being unable to contact the server.

I think you're doing it wrong.
  • Reply 251 of 445
    anwermananwerman Posts: 14member
    I've decided not to read the entire thread, I just wanted to let some of you folks know what the problem most likely is and to let you know that it isn't the major disaster most are making it out to be.

Physics dictates that you don't want to complete a circuit with your own body to make something work. You also don't want your to be body part of a circuit if it will work perfectly fine without you.

The easiest way to prevent this problem from happening is to coat the stainless steel with some thin poly coating as part of the manufacturing process. My guess is, that was what Apple intended (and probably did with the vast majority of those manufactured) but (and for those who have ever worked in a factory, you know this sometimes happens, no matter how good your processes) somebody mixed up coated parts with uncoated parts. I don't know if this was a few boxes or most of the first run shipments, but it's a problem easily corrected with future manufacturing.

Obviously those who got uncoated antennas will have to put a bumper on it or return it (and I feel your pain) but the problem will go away very quickly.

I doubt it's a software problem if it only happens physically with some of the iPhones. Either way, Apple will receive a minor black eye with this one as it will dull some of the excitement for early buyers.

If the yellow screens go away with usage as predicted (the glue merely has to dry) no one will much care about this news a couple of weeks from now.
  • Reply 252 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

So, CNET were able to "consistently reproduce the problem" with the several iPhones they could get their mitts on. While it's hardly a statistically significant sample size, it's suggestive that the problem is not limited to a small fraction of handsets. Apple's well-earned rep for customer service leads me to believe that they will readily replace those handsets exhibiting the problem. Encouraging users to spend an additional $30 for a problem solving rubber bumper is not a resolution I'd ever expect Apple to pursue

Engadget reported that one of their handsets has the problem, but not the other. So clearly not all handsets exhibit the problem. It remains to be seen how many.
  • Reply 253 of 445
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Interesting clip. They are reporting an issue to varying degrees with all seven of their iPhones. It's pretty clear that this is a significant manufacturing issue and not relegated to a few faulty iPhones.
  • Reply 254 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anwerman View Post

I've decided not to read the entire thread, I just wanted to let some of you folks know what the problem most likely is and to let you know that it isn't the major disaster most are making it out to be.

Physics dictates that you don't want to complete a circuit with your own body to make something work. You also don't want your to be body part of a circuit if it will work perfectly fine without you.

The easiest way to prevent this problem from happening is to coat the stainless steel with some thin poly coating as part of the manufacturing process. My guess is, that was what Apple intended (and probably did with the vast majority of those manufactured) but (and for those who have ever worked in a factory, you know this sometimes happens, no matter how good your processes) somebody mixed up coated parts with uncoated parts. I don't know if this was a few boxes or most of the first run shipments, but it's a problem easily corrected with future manufacturing.

Obviously those who got uncoated antennas will have to put a bumper on it or return it (and I feel your pain) but the problem will go away very quickly.

I doubt it's a software problem if it only happens physically with some of the iPhones. Either way, Apple will receive a minor black eye with this one as it will dull some of the excitement for early buyers.

If the yellow screens go away with usage as predicted (the glue merely has to dry) no one will much care about this news a couple of weeks from now.

Completely agree. I do not see this being a problem in the weeks/months ahead.
  • Reply 255 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anwerman View Post

From all that has been said in this thread here today, as well as many other tech sites, and just piecing together common sense, I think you are right on the money. I believe this is exactly how it will turn out. And it was time well saved not to read all the previous posts.
  • Reply 256 of 445
    patrollpatroll Posts: 77member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MsScotch View Post

For what it is worth, since many people seem to be worried about it, I got my iPhone 4 yesterday morning and have had no issues whatsoever. I know this is just my experience, but it means all units are not affected!

I think you mean "not all units are affected" :-) changes the meaning slightly
  • Reply 257 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by patroll View Post

I think you mean "not all units are affected" :-) changes the meaning slightly

Actually it changes it alot, we can only wish that all units are not affected.
  • Reply 258 of 445
    I was reading about this issue on many websites, and on one of them, a guy coupled the bottom left corner of the iPhone 3GS and it does the same thing, there is gradual signal lost to no bars. So I tried to replicate this on my own 3GS and I found that is happens to the 3GS as well.... So maybe this is not a new issue with the iPhone 4 antenna design. Can others try it and post their findings?
  • Reply 259 of 445
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Just got my iPhone 4 about 2 hours ago... Brilliant!! No issues. Screen is beautiful and the bars issue is not present on my phone.

Love it.
  • Reply 260 of 445
    hands sandonhands sandon Posts: 5,270member
    Sorry, I haven't read all the thread but I'd like to say that the new iPhone is quite simply stunning and the screen no longer looks digital as such it looks more, to use an analogy, analogue. It's remarkable. It's the first screen I have seen that no longer looks like a computer screen as such.

So, I am thrilled with it and delighted that Apple got there first. They recognized that once you get to a certain point a whole new experience happens. That blows out of the water having say, an extra inch of screen real estate.

So it is with dismay that as far as my experiences have appeared to show that there is a fundamental design or construction fault with what I think will turn out to be very large numbers of 4's. Having repeatedly tested holding the lower part of the phone in my palm and then holding the phone higher up or not all and to have had with such consistency such a major disruption in signal spells real difficulties for both Apple and users who don't want cases.

Over the years I've had iPhones I only seldomly have used a case. They add bulk and weight, they often collect dirt, they can scratch your phone, take away from the aesthetics, make mounts for cars etc not fit and perhaps the worst of all make you complacent about looking after your phone.

That said, I with this phone will have to as things stand get one, as resting the phone in the palm of my hand is for me the only natural and comfortable way to use it the vast majority of the time.

Maybe Apple's "patch" will solve this issue soon. I'm hopefull that it'll be resolved quickly but a few words from Steve's email account would still be welcome.

Personally, before I buy a case I'm going to try a small piece of electrical tape over the bottom left gap and see if that helps.