Users report issues with iPhone 4 proximity sensor during calls

Comments

• Reply 41 of 101
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hodar View Post

However, I have place myself on mute...

Just an FYI to iPhone 4 owners. FaceTime now replaces the old Hold button, but it's not gone. Since Hold is just a two-way Mute, it's now located on the Mute button and activated by holding it down for a couple seconds.
  • Reply 42 of 101
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It's a good thing we don't do that here, huh? Complain all you want to.

It's practically mandatory!
  • Reply 43 of 101
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

It's practically mandatory!

It would be too boring otherwise.

Still, Apple went up today while the markets declined.

While I know it "doesn't matter". It's still enjoyable to see that Apple is now worth $31.1 billion more than MS. Nice trends.

http://money.cnn.com/quote/quote.html?symb=AAPL

http://money.cnn.com/quote/quote.html?symb=MSFT
  • Reply 44 of 101
    kmareikmarei Posts: 185member
    for me

General

Reset

Reset all settings

fixed it

it used to lock up when i take a call

when i move the phone away from my ear, the screen stays black

home button does nothing

neither does lock button

i had to keep pressing the lock button till i eventually heard the lock sound

then i could unlock it and go back to the home screen

it only happens when you restore from backup

if you do a standard restore it doesn't lock up

since i did the reset all settings it hasn't happened
  • Reply 45 of 101
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Let's see. 230 posts on the thread covering this topic.

That probably breaks down as:

- The original poster who had a problem

- 17 trolls who immediately said that they have the same problem and Apple needs to fix it immediately, even though they don't even own iPhones

- 47 people saying "I don't have a problem"

- The original poster responding to all 47 of the above saying "well, I do"

- 30 people claiming that Apple is doomed because their product quality has gotten so bad

- 52 people saying that iPhone buyers are lemmings and would buy anything Apple puts out

- 10 people who claim that Apple is for babies / idiots / sissies

- And the rest looking for directions to the rest room.

When will the people who write these idiotic stories ever get it into their heads- a complaint of a problem is irrelevant. As soon as they can provide numbers showing how many people are experiencing the problem and whether it's greater than or less than the competition, THEN maybe it would be worth writing the story.

Thank you. I was about to do the same.

So out of the 230 posts, did you figure how many were unique visitors, pro, con and neutral?
  • Reply 46 of 101
    mintmint Posts: 17member
    Surely this is just another case of people holding their phones wrongly. Holding it up to your ear is bound to cause problems. What were you thinking?
  • Reply 47 of 101
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

First, MS needed to case-study General Motors (the comparison is obvious and for another thread).

Now it appears Apple should case-study Toyota: i.e. never let your own success lull you into complacency, and never let you own growth rate pull you into shortcuts.

Even if the screen, antenna and proximity issues are only affecting some users, they are all things that should've been caught beforehand. Do we dare say "rushed"?

Some things are simply not possible to catch "beforehand". They can show up in a small percentage of production phones, manifest for only certain people or use cases, only appear when a critical mass of users is reached to load the network, and so forth. I don't think Apple particularly rushed this product, nor was lulled into some kind of complacency. They are building a leading edge product, and when you do that you're certain to run into problems. Who knows how many bugs they had to work out of their first prototypes? Only time will tell how widespread and endemic these problems actually are.
  • Reply 48 of 101
    vrkiranvrkiran Posts: 110member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

Thank you. I was about to do the same.

So out of the 230 posts, did you figure how many were unique visitors, pro, con and neutral?

Do you guys have some software to do this count? I sure hope you do. It can be quite time consuming otherwise.
  • Reply 49 of 101
    This head condom did the trick for me

• Reply 50 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Programmer View Post

Some things are simply not possible to catch "beforehand". They can show up in a small percentage of production phones, manifest for only certain people or use cases, only appear when a critical mass of users is reached to load the network, and so forth. I don't think Apple particularly rushed this product, nor was lulled into some kind of complacency. They are building a leading edge product, and when you do that you're certain to run into problems. Who knows how many bugs they had to work out of their first prototypes? Only time will tell how widespread and endemic these problems actually are.

Apparently, some of these problems have gotten out because all of the phones off campus, where the signals would be expected to be weaker, were using those cases to deceive people into thinking they were the 3GS. It's possible that they prevented some of the other problems from appearing as well. They looked like tanks in those pictures we saw.
  • Reply 51 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by latafairam View Post

And you do look good in it.

Not only do you look cool, but you look smooth.
  • Reply 52 of 101
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    Quote:

Perfect!!!!!! Made my day, thank you!!
  • Reply 53 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

And you do look good in it.

Not only do you look cool, but you look smooth.

Not as good as when steve starts selling it.
  • Reply 54 of 101
    Quote:

Not as good as when steve starts selling it.

Well, I hope you get royalties.
  • Reply 55 of 101
    hrblockhrblock Posts: 1member
    I've had issues with the sensor on almost all calls. It's very annoying, very disappointing and I hope there's a fix for this real soon.
  • Reply 56 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hrblock View Post

I've had issues with the sensor on almost all calls. It's very annoying, very disappointing and I hope there's a fix for this real soon.

I hope it's just a calibration issue. I wonder if some of the other issues might be calibration issues. Any problem with the antenna issue?
  • Reply 57 of 101
    I am also having the problem with the proximity sensor when on a phone call. Tries reset of all settings and stll have the problem. Anyone find a fix from Apple?
  • Reply 58 of 101
    The proximity sensor problems are causing me headaches. Today, my cheekbone managed to create a very awkward conference call... (think about how many steps are required for that! ugh)
  • Reply 59 of 101
    I don't have the reception problems, but i do have the proximity sensor problems.
  • Reply 60 of 101
    We should get free Bluetooth headset for this problem. Frusturating