Wireless experts weigh in on iPhone 4 reception issues

Comments

• Reply 301 of 380
    hands sandonhands sandon Posts: 5,270member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I've been saying since day one to people who have the reproducible signal loss issues whenever the touch the Three-G-Spot* to get a replacement. From a consumer perspective I still hold that as the best option, but from Apple's perspective that may not solve anything.

If you get several defective items in a row you can lose faith in that company or product even if all the items came from the sam batch. If it's a production issue, perhaps they haven't quite pinpointed where the problem starts so they can recall or offer replacements or fixes to those affected model numbers.

If it's a SW fix (for example) for some oddly constructed — but not bad — TriQuint chip then replacing new phones with the same iOS version wouldn't do much good, and they'd still have to know which models had this TriQuint chip (which may be impossible) so they could know which phones to expect with the issue and which phone not to sell.

As much as we hate it and as much as we think they are reacting slowly this is still only the 7th day (in my country) that the iPhone 4 has been on shelves. Hell, the iPad which launched in April still hasn't gotten a single bug fix update.

* Thanks Applebaum.

Yes I agree, it could lead to even more angry customers if Apple were to give replacement phones to people knowing that it wasn't even going to solve their reception issues. They're in a tough spot because unless a software fix works, they really owe everybody who wants one a redesigned phone. I wanted a replacement phone before I realized it wouldn't make any difference getting one. Getting a replacement would just waste my time and be needless environmental waste too.

I'm sure Apple doesn't want it's 3G spot getting used.*

*LOL, thanks Applebaum too.
  • Reply 302 of 380
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

My thinking on the numbers who are effected by these issues is that all the phones are probably the same. My phone has less reception issues when I'm not hot and my hands are dry, though it's still there, just less so, maybe by as much as fifty percent. Given that I would expect the issues to be slightly less in cooler climates than warmer climates, though many, especially in the US, live in air-con bubbles most of the time so that might balance things out. Take any iPhone to where I live and pending on the persons hand perspiration primarily, I would think the same problems would arise if they were on the same network.

I think everyone is being told the same thing by Apple. Certainly my nearest Apple store said the same thing as the technician. I'm sure some people are being given replacements for other issues to mask that the phone is being replaced due to the reception issues to placate certain customers, for whatever reasons, but I would think that's a very small percentage. Apple seems pretty determined about this policy at the moment and for good reason because they know full well replacing the phone will make absolutely no difference and of course could cost them a ton of money.

Well said!

BTW, love your sig!

• Reply 303 of 380
    chopperchopper Posts: 246member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

So it's hysterical to ask for evidence rather than anecdotal complaints? You are really confused. Hysteria is all the "the sky is falling because I got fewer bars" whining on this board. My response is simply trying to get people to deal with facts INSTEAD OF hysteria.

You say you're asking for evidence, but there's plenty of it, anecdotal, polls and testing results, all over this forum and many other parts of the web. That's evidence. I think the standard you're holding those who say there's a problem to, is that of proof. That's clearly not reasonable, and you yourself certainly haven't presented any proof to the contrary.

Hysteria is somebody writing literally hundreds of posts trying to discredit those whose experience or opinions don't fit with the way he want things to be.

And if everybody had to deal only in facts to contribute here, this website would not exist.
  • Reply 304 of 380
    Quote:

Yes I agree, it could lead to even more angry customers if Apple were to give replacement phones to people knowing that it wasn't even going to solve their reception issues. They're in a tough spot because unless a software fix works, they really owe everybody who wants one a redesigned phone. I wanted a replacement phone before I realized it wouldn't make any difference getting one. Getting a replacement would just waste my time and be needless environmental waste too.

I'm sure Apple doesn't want it's 3G spot getting used.*

*LOL, thanks Applebaum too.

There was a post on MR about how the micro SIM in the iP4 might be shorting against the SIM tray:

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/06/30/...mixed-results/

I checked my iP4 with a a magnifying glass and there is a tiny little space between the SIM conductive surface and the tray. (I don't experience the problem).

Then, I checked my 3GS and the SIM conductive surface contacts the tray!

But the 3GS tray is plastic and the iP4 tray is solid, conductive, stainless steel-- part of the Antenna!.

So far, the results of addressing this iP4 SIM card/SIM tray are inconclusive. It could be: Micro SIM misalignment; poorly designed micro SIM tray; poorly produced micro SIM card; nothing.

What I find that is interesting is here is a possibility of poor design concept (SS SIM tray) that probably wouldn't manifest itself (or would have been detected/corrected) in the first handmade "test" models (Apple internal, FCC, etc.).

Later, production tolerances of the trays and the micro SIM cards would, likely, have been looser, and could have resulted in the problem.

I am not trying to paint a rosy scenario, but this is one explanation, if true, that would pass the logic test!

• Reply 305 of 380
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Well said!

BTW, love your sig!

Thanks.

Have I misinterpreted your sig to infer that Hawaiians are pickpockets?
  • Reply 306 of 380
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

There was a post on MR about how the micro SIM in the iP4 might be shorting against the SIM tray:

[...]

I am not trying to paint a rosy scenario, but this is one explanation, if true, that would pass the logic test!

This isn't the first time we've seen the SIM card be the cause for poor reception and dropped calls. I'm leaning away from that as the cause but it's certainly possible.
  • Reply 307 of 380
    ski1ski1 Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

You keep ignoring this paragraph:

"From my day of testing, I've determined that the iPhone 4 performs much better than the 3GS in situations where signal is very low, at -113 dBm (1 bar). Previously, dropping this low all but guaranteed that calls would drop, fail to be placed, and data would no longer be transacted at all. I can honestly say that I've never held onto so many calls and data simultaneously on 1 bar at -113 dBm as I have with the iPhone 4, so it's readily apparent that the new baseband hardware is much more sensitive compared to what was in the 3GS. The difference is that reception is massively better on the iPhone 4 in actual use."

You are missing their point. They are saying the iPhone 4 can handle low signals better then the iPhone 3GS. That is not the issue. The issue is that when you touch the iPhone 4 on the seam, for many people, the signal gets to a level where it does drop calls. Or the data rate drops dramatically. Also during this part of their test, did he touch it at the seam ? We don't know. Did he have a bumper on ? We don't know. Did he test the data rates ? We don't know.
  • Reply 308 of 380
    Quote:

I checked my iP4 with a a magnifying glass and there is a tiny little space between the SIM conductive surface and the tray. (I don't experience the problem).

Then, I checked my 3GS and the SIM conductive surface contacts the tray!

But the 3GS tray is plastic and the iP4 tray is solid, conductive, stainless steel-- part of the Antenna!.

So far, the results of addressing this iP4 SIM card/SIM tray are inconclusive. It could be: Micro SIM misalignment; poorly designed micro SIM tray; poorly produced micro SIM card; nothing.

What I find that is interesting is here is a possibility of poor design concept (SS SIM tray) that probably wouldn't manifest itself (or would have been detected/corrected) in the first handmade "test" models (Apple internal, FCC, etc.).

Later, production tolerances of the trays and the micro SIM cards would, likely, have been looser, and could have resulted in the problem.

I read about this yesterday and quickly pulled out my sim. It certainly looked fine to me. The sim was sitting completely flat and fit snuggly in the space it's in. The end of it has a little bit of a plastic edge that looks like it's how it's meant to be, otherwise it would move about. When I put it back in, not having altered it, nothing had changed. I think Apple would have eagerly leapt on this if it was a widespread problem and to my knowledge they haven't at all.
  • Reply 309 of 380
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ski1 View Post

You are missing their point. They are saying the iPhone 4 can handle low signals better then the iPhone 3GS. That is not the issue. The issue is that when you touch the iPhone 4 on the seam, for many people, the signal gets to a level where it does drop calls. Or the data rate drops dramatically. Also during this part of their test, did he touch it at the seam ? We don't know. Did he have a bumper on ? We don't know.

I would have liked to have also seen the readings from putting the phones on a desk, not being touched by a hand at all.
  • Reply 310 of 380
    bigmikebigmike Posts: 266member
    Apple should have engineered/designed a better solution. Whether it's a clear coating or another way to solve the issue. Apple shouldn't suggest using a bumper as a fix. But they should give one to everyone who spent $200 - $300 for their phone and have to deal with reception issues and have to watch how they hold the phone (which is ridiculous). And it's a shame they're telling store managers to use politics to try and ease the pain of the issue. LAME.

I am so glad I didn't wait in line or buy the 4 (I almost did!). I really want one for all of the other features but I need to make calls without having to worry about how I'm going the hold it! My 3G will have to do until they fix the antenna issue.
  • Reply 311 of 380
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chopper View Post

You say you're asking for evidence, but there's plenty of it, anecdotal, polls and testing results, all over this forum and many other parts of the web. That's evidence. I think the standard you're holding those who say there's a problem to, is that of proof. That's clearly not reasonable, and you yourself certainly haven't presented any proof to the contrary.

Hysteria is somebody writing literally hundreds of posts trying to discredit those whose experience or opinions don't fit with the way he want things to be.

And if everybody had to deal only in facts to contribute here, this website would not exist.

But, you should admit, that most of the posters reporting the problem do not claim that they are personally experiencing the problem-- rather they are reposting reports of others experiencing the problem.

I get a little suspicious when:

-- a few posters of many negative posts just joined AI to post on this issue

-- many of these same posters do not claim to own an iPhone or to be experiencing the issue themselves

-- they position themselves "above the fray"-- do-gooders posting for the rights of man, the good of humankind, and a wonderful world without Apple

As to evidence-- a single story repeated 1,000 times does not mean there are 1,000 people experiencing the issue. Nor, do 50 stories repeated 200 times.

If there, truly, is an issue it should be quantifiable, and should be above the norm failure rate for this class of device.

Without that we have no evidence!

For example, if I or You, and several others with a like agenda, were to post to some popular sites/blogs that, say, Obama and McCain are having illicit affairs... where would that lead?

If we play our cards right we can get on the rolling stones & the inquirer... Drudge, Limbaugh. CNN, MSNBC...

P.S. As an Apple Director, AlGore is off limits (and banned from the app store)!

• Reply 312 of 380
    Quote:

Thanks.

Have I misinterpreted your sig to infer that Hawaiians are pickpockets?

No... fewer letters in their alphabet, hence they need fewer fingers:

http://www.hawaii-luaus.com/glossary.htm

Mahalo

• Reply 313 of 380
    Quote:

You are missing their point. They are saying the iPhone 4 can handle low signals better then the iPhone 3GS. That is not the issue. The issue is that when you touch the iPhone 4 on the seam, for many people, the signal gets to a level where it does drop calls. Or the data rate drops dramatically. Also during this part of their test, did he touch it at the seam ? We don't know. Did he have a bumper on ? We don't know. Did he test the data rates ? We don't know.

Sorry, but I gotta' ask:

-- Do you own an iPhone 4?

-- Did You buy if for personal use?

-- Are you experiencing the problem you are reporting that "many people" are experiencing?

• Reply 314 of 380
    Quote:

Sorry, but I gotta' ask:

-- Are you experiencing the problem you are reporting that "many people" are experiencing?

I currently own a iPhone 3GS for personal use. Previously had a iPhone 3G. I also own a MacBook Pro. I was ready to buy the iPhone 4 (for personal use) on launch day. Actually I wanted to buy it on the pre-release day on the Internet. But I couldn't get through due to their web site issues. Anyway, when the antenna issue was reported the night before the launch, I decided to wait to test it out myself. I went to the Apple store last Friday. I personally tested several of their demos. I experienced the slow data rates by touching the seam with just a fingertip. The data rates was fine if I didn't touch it at the seam. That would be a problem for me, because I naturally touch that area when I hold the phone. So with my personal experience, along with the many other facts I acquired on the Internet, I'm deciding to wait until Apple responds with the solution. I still want to buy an iPhone 4, but not in it's current flawed state.
  • Reply 315 of 380
    chopperchopper Posts: 246member
    Quote:

But, you should admit, that most of the posters reporting the problem do not claim that they are personally experiencing the problem-- rather they are reposting reports of others experiencing the problem.

I get a little suspicious when:

-- a few posters of many negative posts just joined AI to post on this issue

-- many of these same posters do not claim to own an iPhone or to be experiencing the issue themselves

-- they position themselves "above the fray"-- do-gooders posting for the rights of man, the good of humankind, and a wonderful world without Apple

As to evidence, a single story repeated 1,000 times does not mean there are 1,000 people experiencing the issue. Nor, do 50 stories repeated 200 times.

If there, truly, is an issue it should be quantifiable, and should be above the norm failure rate for this class of device.

Without that we have no evidence!

For example, if I or You, and several others with a like agenda, were to post to some popular sites/blogs that, say, Obama and McCain are having illicit affairs... where would that lead?

If we play our cards right we can get on the rolling stones & the inquirer... Drudge, Limbaugh. CNN, MSNBC...

P.S. As an Apple Director, AlGore is off limits (and banned from the app store)!

I was responding to jragosta's reply to me, but anyway...

This is not a court of law so the rules of evidence clearly don't need to meet such stringent criteria as a reasonable basis to form an opinion. Note that I don't expect everybody to agree with that opinion, nor necessarily to disagree with is. It is after all what contributing to a forum is all about. So let's agree that what you believe is no more valid than what I believe, nor any less so.

The posters reporting the issue are by definition those with a phone that is either giving problems or is not, and they are letting us know which. That is reporting. Those who don't have a phone are discussing the validity of the claims and reports of others and forming opinions on the basis of what they're reading, here and elsewhere.

The strawman about stories being repeated ad infinitum and counted as individual cases is clearly fallacious - I'd like to see where you get that from.

And you demand that the evidence be quantifiable before you'll accept it. You're asking for proof. The evidence is there but you choose to reject it as unreliable. Don't confuse that with there being none.

My observation is that AppleInsider has a core of people whose kneejerk reaction is to attack anybody who disparages Apple, deserved or otherwise. There's a paranoia about newcomers having opinions that are unsupportive of Apple, yet most of the newer posters here who have expressed their disappointment at Apple on this issue seem to be rational and measured.

That's not been the case with a significant numbers of Apple's defenders.
  • Reply 316 of 380
    Quote:

I own a iPhone 3GS for personal use. Previously had a iPhone 3G. I also own a MacBook Pro. I was ready to buy the iPhone 4 (for personal use) on launch day. Actually I wanted to buy it on the pre-release day on the Internet. But I couldn't get through due to their web site issues. Anyway, when the antenna issue was reported the night before the launch, I decided to wait to test it out myself. I went to the Apple store last Friday. I personally tested several of their demos. I experienced the slow data rates by touching the seam with just a fingertip. The data rates was fine if I didn't touch it at the seam. That would be a problem for me, because that is where I naturally touch it. So with my personal experience, along with the many other facts I acquired on the Internet, I'm deciding to wait until Apple responds with the solution. I still want to buy an iPhone 4, but not in it's current flawed state.

Fair enough! So, you, personally, have experienced the "problem", albeit with limited testing.

Is it reasonable to assume that everyone reporting the "problem" has a similar experience and is as objective as you are?

Here's where I am coming from: I have a lot of personal experience, and a large investment in AAPL. I pretty much know what to expect from them-- They seldom screw up, but when they do. they screw uo royally. But, then, they do whatever it takes to fix the problem, then move on.

Generalizing Here: The web is rife with people claiming this and that issue with Apple or the iP4-- and quite frankly, I don't know them from Adam. But, the tenor of their posts (especially when the devolve to name-calling) makes me suspicious-- I look for an agenda.

Should I go with what I know (have experienced) or should I go (against my instincts) with what these unknowns are saying... usually, the answer is pretty easy!

Call me a cynic, an old fart, whatever, but this innate suspicion has served me well for over 70 years of business and personal dealings,

One of the several reasons that I am interested in this issue is the effect on my AAPL holdings-- taken a significant hit in the last couple of days,

• Reply 317 of 380
    Quote:

This is not a court of law so the rules of evidence clearly don't need to meet such stringent criteria as the reasonable basis to form an opinion. Note that I don't expect everybody to agree with that opinion, nor necessarily to disagree with is. It is after all what contributing to a forum is all about. So let's agree that what you believe is no more valid than what I believe, nor any less so.

The posters reporting the issue are by definition those with a phone that is either giving problems or is not, and they are letting us know which. That is reporting. Those who don't have a phone are discussing the validity of the claims and reports of others and forming opinions on the basis of what they're reading, here and elsewhere.

The strawman about stories being repeated ad infinitum and counted as individual cases is clearly fallacious - I'd like to see where you get that from.

And you demand that the evidence be quantifiable before you'll accept it. You're asking for proof. The evidence is there but you choose to reject it as unreliable. Don't confuse that with there being none.

My observation is that AppleInsider has a core of people whose kneejerk reaction is to attack anybody who disparages Apple, deserved or otherwise. There's a paranoia about newcomers having opinions that are unsupportive of Apple, yet most of the newer posters here who have expressed their disappointment at Apple on this issue seem to be rational and measured.

This forum has a lot of active posters that, like yourself, join AI to post to a specific topic.

Yours appears to to spread negative information (with no substantiation) about the iPhone 4.

I have an iPhone and am not experiencing the problem.

Sorry, but I gotta' ask you too:

• Reply 318 of 380
    Quote:

Is it reasonable to assume that everyone reporting the "problem" has a similar experience and is as objective as you are?

Of course not everyone is objective as me. But, because of my personal (yes, limited) experience with the issue, and reading material from people that are a lot more knowledgeable about the inner working of cell phones then me, this obviously appears to be an issue that is not normal. Despite Apple's claims of it being normal. Which in itself is disappointing.

Quote:

One of the several reasons that I am interested in this issue is the effect on my AAPL holdings-- taken a significant hit in the last couple of days..

Interesting revelation. So even though you appear to be a rational and objective person too, you have a dog in this fight. You might not be truly objective as you normally would be, if you did not own Apple stock, or have a deep love for them.
  • Reply 319 of 380
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:

You posted to an open forum... every post is fair game!

Quote:

This is not a court of law so the rules of evidence clearly don't need to meet such stringent criteria as a reasonable basis to form an opinion. Note that I don't expect everybody to agree with that opinion, nor necessarily to disagree with is. It is after all what contributing to a forum is all about. So let's agree that what you believe is no more valid than what I believe, nor any less so.

This is an open forum where people are on their own to choose what to believe and what to disbelieve.

Hopefully it is a court of common sense, where each can offer opinions, often supported by facts or citations for reference and participate in reasoned discussions/

Quote:

The posters reporting the issue are by definition those with a phone that is either giving problems or is not, and they are letting us know which. That is reporting.

That's a pretty broad assumption, especial from someone who has less than days 5 experience on this forum:

Chopper:

06-25-2010

Total Posts

Tell me how you know that "The posters reporting the issue are by definition those with a phone" is a valid logical assumption.

Since I have no knowledge of your history, ability, biases-- I naturally treat your opinions with some skepticism-- I don't know you, yet, and I don't need to treat your unsupported options and assertion with equal weight as those who have a reasoned track record (whether I agree with it or not!).

Who are you? Why are you making [mostly] negative posts to an Apple forum? Do you have an agenda?

Back up your assertions with some substantiation, then we can have a reasoned discussion.

Quote:

Those who don't have a phone are discussing the validity of the claims and reports of others and forming opinions on the basis of what they're reading, here and elsewhere.

No strawman-- show me 100 unique reports-- I haven't been able to find them, just recycled cluster links.

Quote:

There is no evidence, just oft repeated assertions. I believe that some people are experiencing problems-- that's expected. But, does it rise to the level of a valid issue (abnormal number of failures for this class of device)? There are no facts that support that there are-- only assertions that "many" people are experiencing the problem.

With a binary numbering system of "few" and "many", "many" has no meaning!

Quote:

My observation is that are a predictable number of people with an agenda that join AI to disparage Apple-- centered around an Apple product or position announcement... prove me wrong Chronster!

• Reply 320 of 380
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    and so it begins...