Consumer Reports ranks Apple's iPhone 4 best smartphone available

Comments

• Reply 41 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

Daniel Eran Dilger the writer of this article has helped fuel the juveniles to call long time Apple fans "trolls" at every opportunity. Thanks for ending this article with "Isn't it interesting the people who are having this problem don't even own iPhones?" I'm sure you smiled when you wrote that, how pathetic.

Is he the same moron who was bragging weeks ago about his comment having been tweeted hundreds of times?

• Reply 42 of 111
    john galtjohn galt Posts: 960member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markomd View Post

The day Apple and Verizon make nice will be the same day I buy a new iPhone.

Welcome to the discussions forum markomd.

Me too. Not that Verizon is all that great either, but I will never buy anything requiring AT&T. Their customer service was inspired by Josef Stalin.

By the way watch out for those blue dot guys. Deadly. They will bury you
  • Reply 43 of 111
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member
    Review makes sense. CR will not recommend anything that has a flaw to it. Yet it rates each category of the IPHONE4 as it stands. Its not going to take away from other categories such as 'web browser' if that is rated excellent and has nothing to do with the flaw.

Every smartphone has its issues.

APPLE is to smart to not address this and fix it. Remember their reputation is at stake. If they don't fix this issue next time they release something many people will be sitting on the sidelines with a 'Wait & See' attitude. I would say APPLE will address and fix this issue shortly.
  • Reply 44 of 111
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    I am living in unfortunate switzerland and we have still to wait for apples rollout in this country. Reading all these antenna issues kind of amuses me. The new iPhone has obviously two antennas. if you bridge the two you get an antenna that does not fit the transmitted wavelength, resulting in poorer signal to noise ratio. You can reproduce this behavior with any walky-talky- or transistor radio antenna. I don't understand the big fuzz about this, since it can be fixed by many different free or paid for solutions. For all those lucky guys who already have an iPhone 4 don't let your excitement be spoiled. At least I still envy you.
  • Reply 45 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

Just use one of the many available cases.

Of course. You have to use a case. Since Apple decided to create a mobile device out of glass!
  • Reply 46 of 111
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Should've fixed the word "incarnation" first.

I thought he was legitimately trying to convey the magical nature of the device

(he used 'incantation')
  • Reply 47 of 111
    sendmesendme Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

You sure about that?

Yes.

"The 1961 Report of the Register of Copyrights on the General Revision of the U.S. Copyright Law cites examples of activities that courts have regarded as fair use: ?quotation of excerpts in a review or criticism for purposes of illustration or comment; quotation of short passages in a scholarly or technical work, for illustration or clarification of the author?s observations; use in a parody of some of the content of the work parodied; summary of an address or article, with brief quotations, in a news report; reproduction by a library of a portion of a work to replace part of a damaged copy; reproduction by a teacher or student of a small part of a work to illustrate a lesson; reproduction of a work in legislative or judicial proceedings or reports; incidental and fortuitous reproduction, in a newsreel or broadcast, of a work located in the scene of an event being reported.? "

http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl102.html
  • Reply 48 of 111
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

For Apple, the biggest problem with the antenna attenuation issue with the iPhone 4 is that it's so easy to reproduce. Everybody knows that exact spot to touch to generate the problem. Apple states however, that all cell phones experience some loss of signal when held improperly. Does anybody have access to any other cell phones? Is there any way to locate that hot spot on other phones? Can the "wrong" way to hold other phones be easily identified? I'd think Apple themselves would have pushed for a comparison (assuming they really believe this assertion).

I certainly can't find a way to hold my BlackBerry (provided by my employer) to force it to lose signal strength.

I have the iPhone 3G and have yet to find any "sweet spot" where signal drops that's directly related to hand position. If anything it goes up and down all the time, based on time of day and geographic location. to me, that's ATT's problem. So no, i haven't found this "every cell phone has attenuation issues when improperly held" as a valid arguement.
  • Reply 49 of 111
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vrkiran View Post

How is this different from AI's earlier (last week) suggestion that we should wait "scientific" results? Consumer Report's scientific results are not science but your writing is?

That's a ridiculous comment. It's not as if the writer of that comment has met each of the millions of iPhone 4 owners. I for one, own an iPhone 4 and have problems.

think of AI as being like fox news and reading their articles will become humorous instead of irritating.
  • Reply 50 of 111
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

CR will not recommend anything that has a flaw to it.

Then they'd better close their doors and go home. EVERYTHING has a flaw. It simply becomes a matter of whether the advantages are great enough and the flaw minor enough to buy the product, anyway.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bugsy3333 View Post

A PIECE OF TAPE SOLVES THE PROBLEM

GOT IT? GOOD

NO IT DOESN'T.

GOT IT? GOOD.

I really wish people would stop with the oversimplifications. There isn't ONE problem, there are 3:

1. Signal is attenuated when antenna is covered. Applies to any phone and is simply a matter of physics.

2. Touching the phone on the black line can cause a significant drop in signal intensity. The evidence so far is that this generally does not affect call quality, but may drop calls in weak areas. Bumper, case, or tape will generally fix this (although there may be minor exceptions). Holding it differently will also fix it.

3. Inaccurate number of bars. Will be fixed by software. Makes people think that their signal is stronger than it really is.

Anyone talking about "THE problem" is likely to be arguing from an irrational basis. If you can't bother to get the basic facts right, please stop cluttering the board.
  • Reply 51 of 111
    reantreant Posts: 7member
    iPhone starting price $200 on contract.

Choice 1, take the beautiful design and stick tape to it.

Choice 2, pay $30 (15% of the phone price) for a bumper case.

Both nessesary to use this phone as a PHONE.

An analogy to help understand these options.

Say I buy a nice new car for $20,000 (maybe not that nice for only 20k) but the car over heats if you drive it (you know, that thing a car is primarily made for. How would this solution sound:

Cut a big ugly hole in the front or pay $3,000 (15% again) to put a pretty cover over a hole on the front.

Now I know what your thinking, this car still comes with the best speakers and tires of any other car out there so who cares if it has problems being driven...

Bottom line, the iPhone 4 is a great device. As a phone it sucks without tape or a case. Would you recommend this device to someone needing a PHONE? consumer reports is rating a smartphone. Requiring it to work as phone without having to buy something else for it before recommending it is not unreasonable.

FYI: this post written on my iPhone 4.
  • Reply 52 of 111
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Apple?s stock has been tanking against the rest of the market. This may be one of the very few times this has happened because of current product news. Now is the time to buy, because I?m sure it won?t last.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gabberattack View Post

So for you, owners of iPhone4, is this flaw bad enough to return the phone or you decided to keep it and wait for Apple's "fix"? If every owner of new iPhone experiencing the issues with antenna decides to keep it regardless of the problems there will be no need for Apple to do anything about it.

Those with a sense of entitlement likely have no intention of return it, they simply want free stuff and a platform for which to complain.
  • Reply 53 of 111
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by john galt View Post

Welcome to the discussions forum markomd.

Me too. Not that Verizon is all that great either, but I will never buy anything requiring AT&T. Their customer service was inspired by Josef Stalin.

By the way watch out for those blue dot guys. Deadly. They will bury you

I'm not saying that this applies to everyone or that it's even the norm with AT&T, but my experience with AT&T customer service has been nothing but excellent. I really can't complain. It's certainly not something I would describe as being "inspired by Josef Stalin". Obviously, your experience was at the complete opposite end of the spectrum.
  • Reply 54 of 111
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Reant View Post

Choice 1, take the beautiful design and stick tape to it.

Choice 2, pay $30 (15% of the phone price) for a bumper case.

Both nessesary to use this phone as a PHONE.

Mine works great as a phone and even people with the problem note they can make calls better than before.

My only issue with calls is the proximity sensor issue muting and hanging up calls.
  • Reply 55 of 111
    reantreant Posts: 7member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Mine works great as a phone and even people with the problem note they can make calls better than before.

My only issue with calls is the proximity sensor issue muting and hanging up calls.

Are you using a case?
  • Reply 56 of 111
    I will postpone my upgrade to the 4G from my current 3Gs....Apple will come out with a redesign shortly and then I will upgrade. Stevo must be epileptic!

Best
  • Reply 57 of 111
    rsmrsm Posts: 15member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

I am living in unfortunate switzerland and we have still to wait for apples rollout in this country. Reading all these antenna issues kind of amuses me. The new iPhone has obviously two antennas. if you bridge the two you get an antenna that does not fit the transmitted wavelength, resulting in poorer signal to noise ratio. You can reproduce this behavior with any walky-talky- or transistor radio antenna. I don't understand the big fuzz about this, since it can be fixed by many different free or paid for solutions. For all those lucky guys who already have an iPhone 4 don't let your excitement be spoiled. At least I still envy you.

See my response to Rokkens post above. The iPhone is a simply amazing piece of technology. However, if you live in an area of low signal strength and dont want to use a case and lack basic motor skills in your left hand then the phone is not for you.
  • Reply 58 of 111
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I will postpone my upgrade to the 4G from my current 3Gs....Apple will come out with a redesign shortly and then I will upgrade. Stevo must epileptic!

Best

I'm doing the same. I'm very happy with my 3GS since iOS 4. And I never have signal problems in South Florida.

I haven't heard of Steve having epilepsy, but rather I think you meant apoplectic.
  • Reply 59 of 111
    Most blogs and reports have been made about the quality and signal attenuation for making phone calls, yet I have not heard anything about quality of WiFi when "bridging the gap" between the two antenne. Has anyone experience signal loss or slower WiFi when holding the phone "wrong"? Just curious.
  • Reply 60 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gabberattack View Post

So for you, owners of iPhone4, is this flaw bad enough to return the phone or you decided to keep it and wait for Apple's "fix"? If every owner of new iPhone experiencing the issues with antenna decides to keep it regardless of the problems there will be no need for Apple to do anything about it.

totally agree with you here. Returning the phone for a 3GS is probably the only sure-fire way to tell Apple, "shit's broke, fix it please!" But it has to be done in mass droves to work.