Jobs calls Bloomberg story 'total bull,' says NYT 'making things up'

Comments

• Reply 41 of 201
    scottibscottib Posts: 381member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ezduzit View Post

the ny times said: "dewey wins" "dewey wins"

for the uninitiated, he was running against truman

The headline was "Dewey Defeats Truman", and the paper was the Chicago Tribune.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dewey_Defeats_Truman
  • Reply 42 of 201
    sendmesendme Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scottiB View Post

The headline was "Dewey Defeats Truman", and the paper was the Chicago Tribune.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dewey_Defeats_Truman

Are you trying to say that the NYT does NOT just make things up?
  • Reply 43 of 201
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

I hope that this puts to rest any ideas of the New York Times having any journalistic integrity whatsoever. Anybody who believes the New York Times believes fiction that is just made up.

The NYT has been going downhill for some time now, but the purchase by Murdoch seems to have been the tipping point from poor to absurd.
  • Reply 44 of 201
    r00fusr00fus Posts: 245member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by clickmyface View Post

So you and Jason Snell are both wrong? At the press conference there was a giant screen that said "0.55% Percent of all iPhone 4 users who have called about antenna or reception"

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/16/l...ss-conference/

Yes, that's .55%, which (if Steve is solid about his 3M sold), about 16,500. Quite a few people, but not an avalanche of users.

I see this whole debacle as an indication that Apple is now big enough to try to rip down. Like Anand (from anandtech) said: "Apple's Microsoft moment" where they're big enough and have enough users that a serious problem found by even a fractional % of their users translates into a lot of pissed off folks.

Furthermore, I think the rest of the industry is scared, because Apple is pretty much unstoppable right now. They're firing on all cylinders in almost every aspect of company management: PR, Financials, Sales, Profitability, Cash Reserves, Innovation, R&D, Customer Loyalty, Brand Strength, you name it... hell even their CEO is a brand unto himself.

So this kind of trip up will happen going forward with Apple more frequently as the media (fueled by and paid for by Apple's increasingly numerous competitors) attack the product and company weaknesses.

Don't you find it amazing that Apple introduced FaceTime just recently with nary a word from the Telcos? FaceTime makes VOIP easy... and adds video to boot, and it will seamlessly take over a standard (GSM) call, and boom! you're not paying minutes... this can't have AT&T happy, esp. once Apple releases the tech to it's other products which have no cell contracts... If I were Verizon I'm sure I'd be furious and/or punching a hole in the wall right about now.
  • Reply 45 of 201
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

Are you trying to say that the NYT does NOT just make things up?

I have no idea, but I do know that the paper didn't publish the Dewey headline.
  • Reply 46 of 201
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

I was talking about my conspiracy theory. Period.

your conspiracy theory is pretty bad, considering the most important thing Tim Cook ever did in Apple was to serve as Apple's CEO when Steve Jobs was on leave.
  • Reply 47 of 201
    Quote:

So you and Jason Snell are both wrong? At the press conference there was a giant screen that said "0.55% Percent of all iPhone 4 users who have called about antenna or reception"

<snip>

If Apple has sold about 4 million+ units as [they] stated, the above [stated] percentage of all units now in service yields roughly 22,000 reported complaints, or just about one in every 182+- sold. That's a significantly real problem, IMHO.
  • Reply 48 of 201
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZeekDuff View Post

If Apple has sold about 4 million+ units as [they] stated, the above [stated] percentage of all units now in service yields roughly 22,000 reported complaints, or just about one in every 182+- sold. That's a significantly real problem, IMHO.

Really? Care to guess how many 1 in every... Toyotas have a problem? Or 1 in every Kuro TV's sold? etc. etc.
  • Reply 49 of 201
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

The NYT has been going downhill for some time now, but the purchase by Murdoch seems to have been the tipping point from poor to absurd.

Murdoch doesn't own the Times. You may be thinking of The Wall Street Journal and its publisher Dow Jones which was purchased by Murdoch's News Corporation in 2007.
  • Reply 50 of 201
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Thanks for having paid attention to my conspiracy theory. I appreciate, I think.
  • Reply 51 of 201
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Groovetube View Post

how many didn't bother to call? It's well known the numbers of people who actually call to complain about issue such as this is much lower than those who actually have it.

A whole bunch of pomp and ceremony, our phone is as bad as their phone's reception, blah blah blah.

The reason Apple was crucified in the media is because look at it, the we're the king of the castle and yer the dirty rascal kind of thing you get from the apple crowd (frig I'm in it I can see it) makes it even more a target.

The more smug the grins, the more people want to wipe them. Issue or no issue, that all it really is.

Is it Apple's fault if a consumer isn't happy with their purchase but never contacts the company about it? Should we count these theoretically unhappy customers of yours who have never contact Apple to complain against Apple's word?
  • Reply 52 of 201
    sky kingsky king Posts: 189member
    If you are so unhappy...why not just go to AT&T and return the phone.

Then you can use your superior intelligence to go out and buy the phone that is more wonderful than the iPHone. And of course you know what that phone is...right? That's why you bought the iPHone...because there was a better choice.

You jackass (notice that I did not capitalize jackass..you do not deserve it.)
  • Reply 53 of 201
    groovetubegroovetube Posts: 557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Is it Apple's fault if a consumer isn't happy with their purchase but never contacts the company about it? Should we count these theoretically unhappy customers of yours who have never contact Apple to complain against Apple's word?

whoa easy now, down boy.

I was just pointing pout something that's well known. I don't know how prevalent the problem is. I know of a few US friends who report more dropped calls, but that's about it.

And why I think the media is all over Apple.
  • Reply 54 of 201
    rkrickrkrick Posts: 66member
    Quote:

What I'm amazed at is how no news outlet brought this up during Q&A. How is that not the first followup question? "You talk about AppleCare phone support, but not about in-store customers, do you have a sense of how many people have come to the store to complain?"

Obviously from the numbers stated not very many RETURNED them (even with the 30 day policy) compared to 3GS numbers. If you are unhappy then just return your phone and move along.
  • Reply 55 of 201
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

how many didn't bother to call? It's well known the numbers of people who actually call to complain about issue such as this is much lower than those who actually have it.

I don't know. Why don't you tell us?

Oh, because you don't have any clue, either.

What we DO know is that the number of returns is far smaller than the 3GS - which is being raised here as the paragon of reception.

Quote:

whoa easy now, down boy.

I was just pointing pout something that's well known. I don't know how prevalent the problem is. I know of a few US friends who report more dropped calls, but that's about it.

And why I think the media is all over Apple.

That's right. You don't know - so STFU and stop with your conspiracy theories. All the evidence that Apple provided is that it's causing less returns with the iPhone 4 than the 3GS.

BTW, Microsoft says that the iPhone 4 is Apple's Vista. Apple is giving out free bumpers for the iPhone to fix the problems. When do I get my free copy of WIndows 7?

And Consumer Reports said that the only problem with the iPhone was the reception (even though they rated the reception as best in the market) but that they couldn't give it a 'recommended' rating unless Apple provided a free fix. Apple has done so. Where is the 'recommended rating'?

Android fans were quick to jump on Apple for the dropping bar problem, but now that it has been shown that their phones drop bars, too, where are they?

All these groups were quick to jump on a perceived weakness in Apple, yet none of them will admit and correct their mistakes.

Why are all the whiners not jumping on THOSE companies?
  • Reply 56 of 201
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

That's right. You don't know - so STFU and stop with your conspiracy theories.

Listen pal, you are one rude SOB. Why don't you just get a life and calm down. Anytime anyone says anything that might be construed as a criticism you practically have a shit herrmorage. A criticism is a just a criticism. And anyone in business knows not every unsatisfied customer calls. It's biz 101 dude.

Take a chill pill and stop being damn rude.
  • Reply 57 of 201
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:

Some users who have called to complain about iPhone reception have received a visit from Apple employees trying to discover the problems. "They've sent teams all over the country, visiting these people in their homes," Jobs said. These people literally get a knock at the door from Apple engineers with a bunch of equipment and want to plug it in and test reception. We're really serious about this."

That's impressive. Who can say HTC would ever do something like that?
  • Reply 58 of 201
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

That's impressive. Who can say HTC would ever do something like that?

thats true. There's a lot to the storey I'm sure.
  • Reply 59 of 201
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:

Listen pal, you are one rude SOB. Why don't you just get a life and calm down. Anytime anyone says anything that might be construed as a criticism you practically have a shit herrmorage. A criticism is a just a criticism. And anyone in business knows not every unsatisfied customer calls. It's biz 101 dude.

Take a chill pill and stop being damn rude.

I called his arguments weak in another thread and he said by doing so, I was attacking him.

He takes the internet too personally.
  • Reply 60 of 201
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post

I like it...shows he's human like the rest of us.

And I had him worked out as a cyborg.