Apple automatically refunding bumper purchases

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Customers who purchased an iPhone 4 and an official bumper case online are reporting that Apple has begun automatically refunding the cost of the case.



AppleInsider readers on Thursday began receiving emails from Apple Online Support that confirm automatic processing of their bumper refund.



"Apple recently announced that iPhone 4 customers who purchased an iPhone 4 Bumper are eligible for a full refund," the emails said. "As of today, we have automatically processed your refund."



The refunds were announced by Apple chief executive Steve Jobs during a press conference last Friday. One free bumper case is available to any customer who purchases an iPhone 4 through Sept 30. Customers who purchased an official Apple bumper case prior to the press conference are also eligible for a refund.



"We want to take care of everyone. We want every user to be happy," Jobs said at the conference. Apple's automatic processing of bumper case refunds could be taken as a sign of this goodwill.



The cases, which are a combination of plastic and rubber, prevent the iPhone 4's antenna band from coming in contact with the user's conductive skin. Although some users object to the inelegance of covering up the iPhone 4's design, bumper cases are touted by many as a simple and low cost solution to the "death grip."



In its Q3 2010 financial conference call, Apple estimated $175 million in deferred revenue for bumper case refunds.
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 25
    artseartse Posts: 27member
    So, when can we get a bumper if we didn't buy one? There is no iPhone 4 bumper/case available on line. Will there be any by September 30th?
  • Reply 2 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    The cases, which are a combination of plastic and rubber, prevent the iPhone 4's antenna band from coming in contact with the user's conductive skin. Although some users object to the inelegance of covering up the iPhone 4's design, bumper cases are touted by many as a simple and low cost solution to the "death grip."



    It is worth mentioning that besides the above, they also provide protection from falls and scratches, as well as a better grip, just as previous third party cases have always done for the previous iPhones! And they are quite elegant too imho, especially being made by Apple!!
  • Reply 3 of 25
    wingswings Posts: 261member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    The cases, which are a combination of plastic and rubber, prevent the iPhone 4's antenna band from coming in contact with the user's conductive skin. Although some users object to the inelegance of covering up the iPhone 4's design, bumper cases are touted by many as a simple and low cost solution to the "death grip."



    Was at the Apple store yesterday and finally found someone with a bumper on their iPhone (an employee). So I got to give it a spin. Tried to slide it into my pocket and take it out again. I gave the bumper an F because you can't easily do that without the rubber dragging on your pocket. On one try it even almost turned my pocket inside out when getting it out. Now I can imagine trying to get it out of my pocket while sitting down (like driving). Same problem I've had with other rubber cases, but I was hoping this one would be different.



    Any recommendations?
  • Reply 4 of 25
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,612member
    I bought my iPhone 4 from AT&T and bought a bumper case from my local Apple Store with my CC. How do I go about getting my refund? Will it be automatic or will I have to file a claim (where do you even do that?)
  • Reply 5 of 25
    jpcgjpcg Posts: 114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post


    I bought my iPhone 4 from AT&T and bought a bumper case from my local Apple Store with my CC. How do I go about getting my refund? Will it be automatic or will I have to file a claim (where do you even do that?)



    Also do I need to buy the bumper in the country I bought the iPhone in, or do I only need to do it via the same account
  • Reply 6 of 25
    bonklersbonklers Posts: 54member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post


    I bought my iPhone 4 from AT&T and bought a bumper case from my local Apple Store with my CC. How do I go about getting my refund? Will it be automatic or will I have to file a claim (where do you even do that?)



    last week steve jobs said that they'll setup a page on apple.com where you can file a claim for a free bumper. Since you already bought one, i'd visit the page first to see if it covers your scenario, otherwise they'll probably take care of you at the store. I'm sure appleinsider will post an article when this claim page is up on apple's site.



    i was lucky enough to purchase my case with the iphone online. Apple shipped the case in 1 week (instead of 3 as advertised) and the iPhone was shipped last night 2 weeks after i ordered it (instead of 3 as advertised). can't wait to get it!
  • Reply 7 of 25
    qualarqualar Posts: 72member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wings View Post


    Was at the Apple store yesterday and finally found someone with a bumper on their iPhone (an employee). So I got to give it a spin. Tried to slide it into my pocket and take it out again. I gave the bumper an F because you can't easily do that without the rubber dragging on your pocket. On one try it even almost turned my pocket inside out when getting it out. Now I can imagine trying to get it out of my pocket while sitting down (like driving). Same problem I've had with other rubber cases, but I was hoping this one would be different.



    Any recommendations?



    Why would you be getting your phone out whilst driving?
  • Reply 8 of 25
    bonklersbonklers Posts: 54member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpcg View Post


    Also do I need to buy the bumper in the country I bought the iPhone in, or do I only need to do it via the same account



    in the past, have you serviced your iphone from a diff country in your local store? if so then they will probably also give you a case there. i wouldn't be surprised if millions of iPhone 4's eventually end up in different countries due to varying reasons.
  • Reply 9 of 25
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    I've picked up some Mirror Screen protectors as a temporary backup just being waiting for the deliveries from ZAGG. Holly shit the phones are looking supernatural.



    I don't think I like Apple's bumper. I will let all desperate wussies and crybabies to have the thingy first, but will, sure, get one for my museum of Apple solutions. Oops, Apple... No harm for your factories meant.



  • Reply 10 of 25
    wonderwonder Posts: 229member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by artse View Post


    So, when can we get a bumper if we didn't buy one? There is no iPhone 4 bumper/case available on line. Will there be any by September 30th?



    Apple will start offering them from free from this weekend to all iPhone 4 purchasers.

    You just need to wait a little longer.
  • Reply 11 of 25
    wonderwonder Posts: 229member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wings View Post


    Was at the Apple store yesterday and finally found someone with a bumper on their iPhone (an employee). So I got to give it a spin. Tried to slide it into my pocket and take it out again. I gave the bumper an F because you can't easily do that without the rubber dragging on your pocket. On one try it even almost turned my pocket inside out when getting it out. Now I can imagine trying to get it out of my pocket while sitting down (like driving). Same problem I've had with other rubber cases, but I was hoping this one would be different.



    Any recommendations?



    I recommend you don't use the phone white driving it is dangerous and careless.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    coolcatcoolcat Posts: 156member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wings View Post


    Was at the Apple store yesterday and finally found someone with a bumper on their iPhone (an employee). So I got to give it a spin. Tried to slide it into my pocket and take it out again. I gave the bumper an F because you can't easily do that without the rubber dragging on your pocket. On one try it even almost turned my pocket inside out when getting it out. Now I can imagine trying to get it out of my pocket while sitting down (like driving). Same problem I've had with other rubber cases, but I was hoping this one would be different.



    Any recommendations?



    Here's a recommendation: DON'T TRY TO FISH OUT YOUR PHONE WHILE DRIVING! You are NOT so important you HAVE to take the call. Suppose you were gonna respond to that text message too huh?
  • Reply 13 of 25
    neilmneilm Posts: 961member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wings View Post


    Tried to slide it into my pocket and take it out again. I gave the bumper an F because you can't easily do that without the rubber dragging on your pocket. On one try it even almost turned my pocket inside out when getting it out.



    Err, at the risk of getting way too personal, just how tight are your pants?



    I've found the slight frictional drag of the Bumper to be an advantage. It doesn't want to slide accidentally out of the pocket, nor off a chair or wherever else you might have placed the phone. I also like that the ringer mute switch is now recessed. That way it doesn't get accidentally turned off as used to happen to my 3G. And of course it nicely protects the glass surfaces.



    I never used a case with my 3G and hadn't planned to with the 4, but all in all I've come to appreciate the Bumper. It's even good looking in its own way?although not as sharp as the naked phone.
  • Reply 14 of 25
    estolinskiestolinski Posts: 140member
    The free bumpers are up on apple.com. You have to download an app and order from your iPhone. They're quoting 3-5 weeks.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    jdsonicejdsonice Posts: 156member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    Customers who purchased an iPhone 4 and an official bumper case online are reporting that Apple has begun automatically refunding the cost of the case.

    In its Q3 2010 financial conference call, Apple estimated $175 million in deferred revenue for bumper case refunds.



    I got my bumpers with the phone. Yesterday I got an email telling me that my refund has been processed.



    Beautiful. That is why I love Apple.



    I had no problems with the phone but I got the free bumpers.



    JDS
  • Reply 16 of 25
    estolinskiestolinski Posts: 140member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by artse View Post


    So, when can we get a bumper if we didn't buy one? There is no iPhone 4 bumper/case available on line. Will there be any by September 30th?



    Go to iTunes App Store, download free bumper app, order bumper, wait 3-5 weeks.
  • Reply 17 of 25
    estolinskiestolinski Posts: 140member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdsonice View Post


    I got my bumpers with the phone. Yesterday I got an email telling me that my refund has been processed.



    Beautiful. That is why I love Apple.



    I had no problems with the phone but I got the free bumpers.



    JDS



    And the flaming commences in 3.2.1...
  • Reply 18 of 25
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by artse View Post


    So, when can we get a bumper if we didn't buy one? There is no iPhone 4 bumper/case available on line. Will there be any by September 30th?



    Download the case app on your iPhone 4. Select the case or bumper you want..



    The case program is linked from a big button on the front of Apple.com.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    svnippsvnipp Posts: 430member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdsonice View Post


    I got my bumpers with the phone. Yesterday I got an email telling me that my refund has been processed.



    Beautiful. That is why I love Apple.



    I had no problems with the phone but I got the free bumpers.



    JDS



    Hmm... I got my bumper with the phone also, on launch day and no refund e-mail for me as of yet. No big rush, I'll probably do some checking if I don't see something by Monday.
  • Reply 20 of 25
    I got an email saying the shipping cost would be refunded as well (however, they're still charging the $4 shipping charge on the bumper), I mean, I don't really care if it isn't refunded, but it was interesting to note that they were attempting to go completely free of charge.
Sign In or Register to comment.