Apple's rumored iTV rebranding makes UK broadcaster 'furious'

Comments

• Reply 61 of 149
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    They should really learn from Mac rumor-followers online, and not get too worked up over a mere rumor. Oh, wait....
  • Reply 62 of 149
    What's the matter with all of you? I assume most people on here are resonably intelligent, so why is this even being discussed? Do you all think there are fairies in the bottom of your garden as well?

This was printed in the Mirror - they couldn't write a true story if you held a gun to their head.

The whole thing's a crock - they don't even have a named source. There's no story, and frankly Appleinsider should have higher standards than repeating crap that comes out of British tabloids.

Don't kid yourselves that anything in this article has ever happened.
  • Reply 63 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drdb View Post

ITV were the people responsible for the X-Factor and Britain's Got Talent (I think you've got a show called America's Got Talent too), just to give you an idea of the quality from them. They used to be quite good about 20-30 years ago but now they just make reality TV show garbage and shows with the word celebrity in them.

I believe that in the 60's they were the station that broadcast the legendary productions of Gerry and Sylvia Anderson, such as Thunderbirds Are Go, Captain Scarlet, and UFO.

Awesome shows!
  • Reply 64 of 149
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    This made me laugh. I wonder if the ?telephone game? effect has taken place after some ITV exec made an innocuous comment about how they will react if this rumour turned out to be true.
  • Reply 65 of 149
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

This won't be simple for Apple. ITV is a well-known global brand. There will be country by country fights.

I predict "AppleTV."

The itv organization has registered a trademark in the US, so it's probably not going to happen. I've never heard of them having an actual US presence though.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Swift View Post

Broadcasting was invented to print money. It is run by guys in loud checked sports jackets named Herb Tarlek.

I thought broadcasting was invented as a propaganda machine. I guess it can be argued that it's doing propaganda profitably.
  • Reply 66 of 149
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KindredMac View Post

OMG YOU GUYS!!! THIS IS ALMOST NEWS!!!!!

Where were these guys years ago when it was first announced???

If they asked Apple to change it privately back then and Apple's now going back on their word it would explain why they're so pissed.
  • Reply 67 of 149
    The posturing could be about squeezing more money out of use of the trademark

Re: the name, let's think outside of the box, folks

iPod: 2 syllables, easy

iPhone: 2 syllables, ditto

iPad: 2 syllables, honestly, given the precedent of iPOD, the name iPAD was almost a no brainer

What to call the postulated TV

Hmmmm

iTunes: again 2 syllables sets precedent

why not iTube?
  • Reply 68 of 149
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by roehlstation View Post

No, someone else did

Ah, I see. I remember reading about it but didn't recall the exact situation.
  • Reply 69 of 149
    This is of course assuming that they actually change the name.
  • Reply 70 of 149
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

If they asked Apple to change it privately back then and Apple's now going back on their word it would explain why they're so pissed.

I'm pretty sure Apple changed its mind in 2007 because of that. There is no evidence or cause to believe that they're going to change it. We don't know if Apple really is considering it, but it seems doubtful. We don't know if ITV is really upset, there aren't any named quotes in the story. Most rumors are made up or distorted, so there's no way we know what's really going on with any certainty until later, if ever.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

I could only find references to patents.

Try it again, click "New User Form Search (Basic)"

http://tess2.uspto.gov/

The first item I get back is the logo for the itv network.
  • Reply 71 of 149
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

This is of course assuming that they actually change the name.

I like the current TV name, it would be a mistake to change it; to many iProducts gets tiresome.
  • Reply 72 of 149
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

I like the current TV name, it would be a mistake to change it; to many iProducts gets tiresome.

I like it, too, and think it has been successful in its own right (in unit sales) for a media extender appliance, but it ha been labeled as a ?hobby? from Apple since 2007 and it?s sales due pale in comparison to other Apple products and the gaming consoles and other devices ? which may have easily outsold it in a direct 1:1 comparison ? that have added media extension capabilities since the TV was first released.

For these reasons, a name change may be in order. It?s not about success of sales, it?s about mindshare that makes a name change viable.

Note: I have no idea if they will or not, expect that I would think iTV is off the table for a shipping device. For all we know this iTV rumour is true in that it?s the internal codename for this new media extender they?ve been working on.
  • Reply 73 of 149
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

This won't be simple for Apple. ITV is a well-known global brand. There will be country by country fights.

I predict "AppleTV."

I didn't know you could sue someone before they did anything based on a rumor. Apparently you can? So would this mean there can pre-cog lawsuits? Is this a minority report moment?
  • Reply 74 of 149
    Furious over rumor? Why not first find out if the rumor is true, then get furious?
  • Reply 75 of 149
    Can someone explain to me why a rumor would make anyone furious????
  • Reply 76 of 149
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

iTV and ITV -- totally different. Capitalization is everything!

Try selling a product called cOCa cOla in the US and you could count the seconds until you would be sued into oblivion.
  • Reply 77 of 149
    Maybe they should just text SJ and tell him, " Just change the name its no big deal"..
  • Reply 78 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by -AG- View Post

Exactly.

Some people here it seems, forget that this is a "rumour" site as well as news.

I honestly hope that ITV DO sue Apple over this just to see the look on their faces when Steve walks into court and holds up an "Apple TV" *BOOM* Case closed!!

The only thing being manufactured here is an artificial controversy.
  • Reply 79 of 149
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    Infuriated over a product and name that is only rumored to exist. Wow.
  • Reply 80 of 149
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Anyone know if iStream is taken?