Apple's iPad order shipping times improve to 24 hours

Comments

• Reply 61 of 103
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Apple seems to have gone out of their way to show that the iPad is a auxiliary computing device, not a PC replacement. You can?t even activate it without first connecting it to a machine running iTunes. Apple could have easily made the initial screen a splash screen with an iTunes login and resignation, or simply had you access it with no iTunes login, but they didn?t, and I?d think it?s crystal clear why not.

Remember back when iTunes Store first opened, the DRM arrangement with the studios was at most 5 PCs or Macs, but an unlimited number of iPods or future portable devices. At least, that is how I remember it.

If the iPad became a fully fledged PC, maybe the the whole "authorize this computer" thing from iTunes would have to make an appearance on it.
  • Reply 62 of 103
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Remember back when iTunes Store first opened, the DRM arrangement with the studios was at most 5 PCs or Macs, but an unlimited number of iPods or future portable devices. At least, that is how I remember it.

If the iPad became a fully fledged PC, maybe the the whole "authorize this computer" thing from iTunes would have to make an appearance on it.

That makes sense, I hadn't heard about that angle before.
  • Reply 63 of 103
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Nice! I hadn’t thought about it in that way before. Could it be they aren’t contractually allowed to let you put in your iTunes account info into an iDevice directly (expect to confirm your identity for the purchase) without using one of your five authorized machines? Note that Apple still has a 5 authorized devices (running iTunes with the same account) limit.
  • Reply 64 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

If they don't get out some decent software for the thing soon you can have mine.

I would hope you will find what you want (software that is) but if not, I would be more than happy to except your kind offer!

• Reply 65 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Your specific needs are not important here. The question is will such a device generate significant demand in the marketplace? I'm suggesting it will given the right feature set, especially an HD or wider screen.

Whose damn needs are important then. My needs, desires and wants probably reflect as large of a segment of the population as anybody else's commenting here.

WTF? Are you some wanna be analyst or AAPL shareholder that does not care about individuals wants/desire? I own AAPL stock too (got it at $18 when Apple was "dying") so I care very much about what sells. I never suggested that Apple ignore the product altogether -- just that a smaller form factor is not for me.

You might try to be a bit more sensitive about others opinions - not that I am some thin skinned panty waist. I just makes things a bit more pleasant here.
  • Reply 66 of 103
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

After struggling to meet consumer demand for the iPad since it launched in April, estimated shipping times for new online orders have improved to within 24 hours, suggesting any production problems have been resolved.

[/c]

Or the very high initial demand dropped off to match supply.
  • Reply 67 of 103
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JoshA View Post

Or the very high initial demand dropped off to match supply.

Presumably you missed all of the earlier discussion on this subject, but it's worth mention here that this reasoning is nothing more barely hidden code for a failure, which some people constantly and illogically predict for Apple, even when demand for their products far exceeds even the most optimistic estimates.
  • Reply 68 of 103
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Funny how these product shipment rumors start: http://www.ankleskater.com/pagemaker...20100829132700
  • Reply 69 of 103
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPhone91 View Post

You know, I think I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one. I'm a college student. I have a MacBook Pro, but I also have an iPad. I use the iPad in class all the time. Between iWork for iPad (which I use to take notes with in my social science classes) and Penultimate (which I use in conjunction with a Pogo Sketch pen for my math and science classes), I find the iPad to be a very productive tool. Throw in a PDF reader (whether it be GoodReader or iBooks or ReaddleDocs) and all of a sudden the iPad is the perfect on the go device. Now granted, if I need to write a 10 page paper, I'm probably not going to do it on my iPad. But, it's a great device to take to the library to do some research with.

Besides what you have, perhaps the following would be of interest.
  • Reply 70 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

Besides what you have, perhaps the following would be of interest.

Wow! SoundPaper has me almost convinced to buy another iPad, today. And I probably would if there wasn't an Apple event in a few days.
  • Reply 71 of 103
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Here are a few more amazing apps for the ipad:

1) Wolfram: http://products.wolframalpha.com/ipad/index.html

2) Siri: http://siri.com/

3) Tunein Radio: http://www.tunein-radio.com/index.html

4) Vevo: http://www.vevo.com/iphone?ios

5) Atomic Web: http://www.padgadget.com/2010/05/15/...ad-app-review/

Wolfram and Siri are easily two of my favorites apps.
  • Reply 72 of 103
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Just downloaded SoundPaper. Thanks Onhka!
  • Reply 73 of 103
    Wow, it only took them 4+ months to get the shipping times down to 24hrs

My guess is they have refined the efficiencies of the assembly and manufacturing to get more iPads made in less time.
  • Reply 74 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JuanGuapo View Post

Wow, it only took them 4+ months to get the shipping times down to 24hrs

My guess is they have refined the efficiencies of the assembly and manufacturing to get more iPads made in less time.

From everything that'd been stated and rumored since the device darted shipping, LG is the only one with issues manufacturing enough 9.7" IPS displays. I haven't heard anything about Apple having efficiency issues with asembling the iPad components.
  • Reply 75 of 103
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Yeah, as much as I would love to see a smaller iPad, I don't see how it's in the works if they aren't testing it yet, and they are still trying to ramp up production on the first model.

If they don't get out some decent software for the thing soon you can have mine.

I bought it because I wanted to be productive "on the go" sort of speak. iPad is a fantastic slouchy-type device for using around the house, but it ain't no mobile computer (unless you are talking the mobility needed to get from the living room to the kitchen).

I agree with you, but I note that I wonder why you didnt realize this before you bought it. It's not like the device hadn't been thoroughly picked and panned prior to going on sale.

Thompson
  • Reply 76 of 103
    Remember that the initial onslaught was for _consumer_ demand. All this means is that Apple is able to keep up with consumer demand now because they get priority. Corporate customers with bulk orders are still waiting in line. I'm not sure, but there may be a backlog in other countries still too. There are also no sales outside Apple and Best Buy yet. I'd be interested to know how inventories are doing in those stores. Is inventory still hit or miss?
  • Reply 77 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Apple seems to have gone out of their way to show that the iPad is a auxiliary computing device, not a PC replacement. You can’t even activate it without first connecting it to a machine running iTunes. Apple could have easily made the initial screen a splash screen with an iTunes login and resignation, or simply had you access it with no iTunes login, but they didn’t, and I’d think it’s crystal clear why not.

Maybe. Or maybe they just are not ready to do that yet. I don't think it is a high priority... just a matter of time. I'm sure if the iPods go standalone then the iPad will too. That of course requires some way to sync your iPod from the cloud. I seem to recall Apple hinting about something like this...

That still doesn't change the fact that this is an auxiliary computing device. It will fit lots of niches as time goes on though. There is just something about a full screen app that makes you more focused and less likely to waste your time blogging... Although, I can almost see us returning to the thin client model. iPads (and other lightweight devices) coupled to a home or cloud server.
  • Reply 78 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by esummers View Post

Maybe. Or maybe they just are not ready to do that yet. I don't think it is a high priority... just a matter of time. I'm sure if the iPods go standalone then the iPad will too. That of course requires some way to sync your iPod from the cloud. I seem to recall Apple hinting about something like this...

I agree. I can easily see the evolution of the iPad becoming more ?PC-like?, nor would be surprised to see some radical changes that allowed more ?PC-like? computing with iOS 4.x for the iPad.
  • Reply 79 of 103
    chopperchopper Posts: 246member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

... And yet there are people on this site who don't own one, don't understand it's purpose and not only criticise the product, but the millions of those who have bought it and dare to like it.

Crazy.

I'm not sure specifically who those people are, but you might shut them up by explaining exactly what it's purpose is and how in particular it magically meets that purpose.

My company has one and, to be fair, it's not looking compelling right now. Maybe in the future, following the engaging and instructional post you'll be providing that explains the compelling nature of SJ's "magical" device, I'll feel inclined to be as thoroughly excited about it as you seem to be. I'm on the edge of my seat.

Or maybe Rev 2 will do the trick?
  • Reply 80 of 103
    chopperchopper Posts: 246member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

The same users who now deny the massive success of Windows while making futile attempts at telling us why it is so flawed and that people are wrong to buy and enjoy the product, that happy Windows users are somehow deluding themselves.

A familiar yet strangely ironic argument, nkhm.