*** New iMac Design Discussion

Comments

• Reply 61 of 129
    Somebody seems to have skrewed up.

the date of the time canada page is

a week off (in some places it's monday already)

For the design it looks like that

function has created the form

and it looks beautiful too
  • Reply 62 of 129
    In regards to space, you know the power supply WILL be external, just like the cube, right? And having an external power supply means that suddenly cooling is less of a problem.

SdC
  • Reply 63 of 129
    Wohoo! Cheers MarkUk I now know Im not going mad, but I do need sleep! Cant you see it, friendly face on the ickle screen as it hops round meeting its new family, aaahhhh! (well Sky might be a bit peeved) God, how much will it cost in the UK? this french sits is quoting ?899, ?1459 and ?1659 (not shure what that is in £ST, ?1= £0.67 I think?

<a href="http://www.clginformatique.com/index1.html"; target="_blank">http://www.clginformatique.com/index1.html</a>;
  • Reply 64 of 129
    cobracobra Posts: 253member
    Absolutely amazing!

I thought they did a wonder with the Cube.

I now think that the Cube was an excercise in design for the eventual iMac 2.

I have no doubts that they keyboard and mouse are new as well.

Bravo Apple. You have done it again.
  • Reply 65 of 129
    jeffyboyjeffyboy Posts: 1,055member
    That is soooo much what I would've pictured a computer to be like in 2002 when I was a little kid!

A G4 iMac with a Superdrive, that's exactly the specs I mentioned in a thread asking what future hardware would you buy. I for one never expected it so soon and sure didn't think it'd look like that!

Now, what can I sell to clear up credit card space?

Jeff
  • Reply 66 of 129
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    [quote]Originally posted by sawtooth:

<strong>Wohoo! Cheers MarkUk I now know Im not going mad, but I do need sleep! Cant you see it, friendly face on the ickle screen as it hops round meeting its new family, aaahhhh! (well Sky might be a bit peeved) God, how much will it cost in the UK? this french sits is quoting ?899, ?1459 and ?1659 (not shure what that is in £ST, ?1= £0.67 I think?

<a href="http://www.clginformatique.com/index1.html"; target="_blank">http://www.clginformatique.com/index1.html</a></strong><hr></blockquote>;

I think I'd better get some sleep aswell, Its like 6.25AM (I went to bed at 11PM, but got back up at 2.AM) I am bloody tired. Ahh Sleep until 4PM, get up for the keynote. Ahh the joys of unemployment NOT
  • Reply 67 of 129
    nitzernitzer Posts: 115member
    First glance, was like WTF. Now. F-ing awesome!!!

While I'd love to believe that the screen is detachable, I highly doubt it. In the article Steve says he wanted a screen that you could/should reach out and grab and pull towards you. A detachable would complicate that vision.

The lacking details in the article does make it seem like it was a one on one press conference. Maybe there is more to it.
  • Reply 68 of 129
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    [quote]Originally posted by jeffyboy:

<strong>That is soooo much what I would've pictured a computer to be like in 2002 when I was a little kid!</strong><hr></blockquote>

Now we need Apple to design us a flying car.
  • Reply 69 of 129
    cindercinder Posts: 381member
    My foot is firmly planted in my mouth.

Dunno who it was that called me a moron for thinking it *wouldn't* look like this . . .

But it does.

and I think it looks pretty freakin weird . . . possibly ugly.

But I'll reserve final judgement until I see it in person - or tomorrow.
  • Reply 69 of 129
    tjmtjm Posts: 367member
    Like some others, my first reaction was "bleh".

But then it did grow on me - the connection to the Pixar lamp is clearly there. It does look almost alive, playful - "cheeky" as the Brits say. The panel seems to almost float in the air.

A most salient comment from Steve that has been overlooked:

"Why stand a computer on its side when it really wants to be horizontal and on the ground?"

Is this a hint of the new PM designs?
  • Reply 71 of 129
    wow!!! That is beautiful! And functional! G4 also?...I love it...If that really is the new iMac, then my order gets placed tomorrow! Great job Apple!

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
  • Reply 72 of 129
    offtopic but, Mark, Im unemployed too. Well voluntarily, got sick of gimping for "e-learning" chimp slave drivers, so I quit, moving me and my powerbook to OZ. Chose Life! If I was working I wouldnt be here either. God how much will imac2 cost there, eeek! Its been fun and I look forward to the real thing! Night folks!
  • Reply 73 of 129
    I don't know what to think from the picture, but I doubt they've surpassed my Cube. I think a computer should look beautiful but I like it a little bit computerish looking, too. This looks less like a computer than even the Cube. There are furniture stores for the rich and artsy in Atlanta that sell this kind of look. I'm sure Elton John will want to have one. This would fit in any million dollar apartment.
  • Reply 74 of 129
    pookjppookjp Posts: 280member
    As with all the best artistic works, it will put you off at first, and gradually take you in.

- Pook
  • Reply 75 of 129
    luckylucky Posts: 50member
    Half-spheres (or spheres in general) do not make good design elements. They are too rotund. I would have much prefered a more low-profile base. Personally I think the cycloid [x = a(t - sin(t)), y = a(1 - cos(t)] is a very nice shape although it may be a bit difficult to manufacture.
  • Reply 76 of 129
    g-dogg-dog Posts: 171member
    continuing on thegelding's post

what about ports like USB and FW? are they on the back that we can't see?

Keyboard and mouse? are they wireless or even better, as the startrek to apple's slogan threads say, voice controlled imac making the keyboard and mouse non-existant?
  • Reply 77 of 129
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    [quote]Originally posted by Lucky:

<strong>Half-spheres (or spheres in general) do not make good design elements. They are too rotund. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Ooooooohhhhhhkaaaaaaaaaaaay.....

Admittedly, my sensibility is not with the more curvy stuff either. But when people do it well, it's nice to see. simple geometry certainly has great merit and appeal. Besides, I'm not sure it's a true spherical section.
  • Reply 78 of 129
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Steve has plenty to show. It's a given that the keyboard and mouse will be new because the current ones don't match (claer plastic and black?)

That beind said, A NEW KEYBOARD AND MOUSE WONT MATCH THE CURRENT G4S!!!!

AHhahaahha, does that maybe mean new towers? RailHeadDesign said new displays to match new iMac and towers. We've seen the iMac and they towers use the same mouse and keyboard. It's very easy to assume NEW TOWER CASES! and since the iMac got a G4.....see where Im goin
  • Reply 79 of 129
    jeffyboyjeffyboy Posts: 1,055member
    Has it dawned on anyone else we're discussing actual, real, existing FUTURE hardware?

This has been the coolest pre-show buildup ever!

Jeff

[ 01-07-2002: Message edited by: jeffyboy ]</p>
  • Reply 80 of 129
    xypexype Posts: 672member
    I freckin want to work in Jonathan Ive's team!! :cool:

edit.spelling()

[ 01-07-2002: Message edited by: xype ]</p>