Apple to offer live video stream of Wednesday's keynote

Comments

• Reply 41 of 145
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    To those who are concerned about missing the live streaming, I'm sure that you'll be able to see the presentation later in the day through a link at the Apple site.
  • Reply 42 of 145
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Who wants to take bets that Apple's servers won't be able to handle the load? I predict that people will still stick to jizzmodo, engadget or any other site hosting a live blog once Apple's servers crash.

That is the question, but they do offload their work to many companies. It really has to be an outgoing stream that gets routed to select servers that then propagate it to other servers and/or suers as needed. While I?m sure some may have issues this protocol is designed to be adaptive, so we?ll see how a large scale test will work. For all we know this could make or break it?s adoption by the IETF and the tech world, or that is Apple?s plan, to get this protocol on the forefront of modern day streaming. After all, they already have 100M iOS devices that can use it and how ever many Macs running 10.6.
  • Reply 43 of 145
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    No need to watch walls of text or listen to lame commentary from the liveblogs -- just get the info straight from the source
  • Reply 44 of 145
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,295member
    Two things:

1. They wouldn't suddenly change their tune and stream this event unless there was something big they wanted to unleash. I now believe the rumors that there will be something new besides iPods at this event.

2. Even if there is nothing more than an iTunes update, the streaming alone, if it goes well will spell the death of Flash. That very well may overshadow anything they announce. Either way, I'm very excited. Looks like they managed to surprise us after all.
  • Reply 45 of 145
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I'm still not convinced there actually was a WiFi "meltdown" at the iPhone 4 unveiling. What was Steve's hand position when he lost the signal?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

You're the man.

Antennagate doesn't affect Wi-Fi reception, geniuses.
  • Reply 46 of 145
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I'd expect that Apple would ask them to turn them off as they enter the room or maybe even jam the cells.

I would like to see them "jam the cells". It is illegal so it would be fun to watch the fallout.
  • Reply 47 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Oh damn, I am driving home from the White Mountains in NH to Florida and will miss it!

Time in the White Mountains... almost as good as an Apple event. Had some good holidays there many years back.

Just pull a "we're going to stop for lunch now, I'm starving", add in a couple "have another desert"'s and enjoy Steve live.
  • Reply 48 of 145
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by einsteinbqat View Post

No it's not. It's 5pm UK time, and 6pm western continental EU time, except Portugal which has the same time as UK.

I was relying on the time difference shown at my iStat time zone reading. Five hour difference between East coast and UK:

• Reply 49 of 145
    Well, There's going to be something big, alright.

Apple does seem to want to make a point with this live streaming —*the press release is very "suspicious" in this regard.

This really seems related to Quicktime X / Facetime streaming technologies.

And Apple may want to prove how good this tech really is by using it on the event.
  • Reply 50 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by einsteinbqat View Post

No it's not. It's 5pm UK time, and 6pm western continental EU time, except Portugal which has the same time as UK.

Humm, if it's at 10:00 AM in San Francisco, California,

it's 06:00 PM in London (UK) and Lisbon (Portugal) time

and 07:00 PM in rest of the Western Europe Continental Time,

isn't it ?
  • Reply 51 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I'm still not convinced there actually was a WiFi "meltdown" at the iPhone 4 unveiling. What was Steve's hand position when he lost the signal?

holding the phone wrong "supposedly causes loss of cell signal.. not WiFi dumbass.
  • Reply 52 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

A M E N ! !

That was my unofficial request for a temporary insanity section.

Whoooohaaaaaa I will dance to that...
  • Reply 53 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

Antennagate doesn't affect Wi-Fi reception, geniuses.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rorybalmer View Post

holding the phone wrong "supposedly causes loss of cell signal.. not WiFi dumbass.

1) Am I the only one who thinks SpamSandwich was making a joke?

2) That brings up an interesting point. If the ?3G Spot? bridges between the cellular and WiFi antennas causing detuning then why isn?t the WiFi antenna affected?
  • Reply 54 of 145
    orlandoorlando Posts: 601member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

2. Even if there is nothing more than an iTunes update, the streaming alone, if it goes well will spell the death of Flash. That very well may overshadow anything they announce. Either way, I'm very excited. Looks like they managed to surprise us after all.

Much as I'd love to see html5 quickly take over from from Flash I don't see how Apple providing a video stream spells the death of Flash. You can do live streaming with Flash and it isn't doesn't restrict your audience to people with Safari on MacOS10.6 / iOS3.0 or higher. In fact Apple's move might strengthen Flash's position as it highlights how limited the audience is for the non-Flash alternative.
  • Reply 55 of 145
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple used to provide a webcast of its keynote events, but stopped doing so in 2005. This week's apparent change of heart could have been inspired by the Wi-Fi meltdown that occurred at the iPhone 4 unveiling, when Chief Executive Steve Jobs had difficulty showing off the company's latest handset because there were too many Wi-Fi hotspots in the Moscone Center.

Was my first thought when I heard about this. Most sites still feature live coverage, which will include photos, text and chat. Which means there is still gonna be a lot of users and a lot of MyFis at the event. We'll see if a reduction in ustreaming will help though.
  • Reply 56 of 145
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

Much as I'd love to see html5 quickly take over from from Flash I don't see how Apple providing a video stream spells the death of Flash. You can do live streaming with Flash and it isn't doesn't restrict your audience to people with Safari on MacOS10.6 / iOS3.0 or higher. In fact Apple's move might strengthen Flash's position as it highlights how limited the audience is for the non-Flash alternative.

Totally. Steaming in quicktime is nothing new. In fact I think it streams even better then flash. As you stated though all the Win people have to download quicktime before they can watch, while flash does some magic autoinstall (at least in firefox) and flash installs much faster and in less steps then Quicktime for Win.
  • Reply 57 of 145
    [QUOTE=sideshowlol;1704944]
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"Viewing requires either a Mac running Safari on Mac OS X version 10.6 Snow Leopard..."

Why is 10.6 necessary to watch a live stream? That's a rotten shame.

It should only require 10.5.8, unless there is a client library that is only delivered on 10.6 and up.
  • Reply 58 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Oh damn, I am driving home from the White Mountains in NH to Florida and will miss it!

You might luck out at the right truck stop (or might even get a 3G signal, believe it or not).

Where in the White Mountains? (If you're close to Concord/Manchester/Nashua around lunch time, you'll get excellent 3G reception).
  • Reply 59 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

One argument the anti-Apple/pro-Flash advocates have had is that Adobe Flash?s encryption will be a safer distribution model than HTML5 for content providers because Flash offers encryption while HTML5 does not. They are right, even if they are either being foolish and/or disingenuous with their comment as It makes no sense to add encryption to HTML standard.

HTTP Live Streaming can transmit encrypted content which can be linked from simple <audio> and <video> tags.
    When a key file is listed in the index file, the key file contains a cipher key that must be used to decrypt subsequent media files listed in the index file. Currently HTTP Live Streaming supports AES-128 encryption using 16-octet keys. The format of the key file is a packed array of these 16 octets in binary format.
    For this reason, a success with HTTP Live Streaming tomorrow could be the beginning of awareness that there are other methods for streaming content securely. Many of these large companies are already aware of HTTP Live Streaming for iOS devices, but they may see it as an option for desktop OSes, too. However, there seems to be little effort from 3rd-parties to add it to Windows so unless Apple comes out with a new version of QuickTime for Windows that offers HTTP Live Streaming it may be a long time before it?s even remotely viable for Windows users.
  • Reply 60 of 145
    orlandoorlando Posts: 601member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Totally. Steaming in quicktime is nothing new. In fact I think it streams even better then flash. As you stated though all the Win people have to download quicktime before they can watch, while flash does some magic autoinstall (at least in firefox) and flash installs much faster and in less steps then Quicktime for Win.

It isn't just html5video Apple is using. They are using HTTP Live Streaming. Apple has put it forward as a open standard but right now it only works on Snow Leopard and only in Safari (Chrome will not work) or on iOS3+. If you have a Windows PC no browser will enable you to watch the live feed, not even Safari for Windows.