Apple reveals new cloud-centric Apple TV

Comments

• Reply 341 of 378
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonnyboy View Post

i'm sure i won't be the first to have pointed this out, but $99 = ..... £99

Doesn't your blighty VAT account for about half of this, mate? (as for the rest I have no explanation)

But don't worry - with our growing appetite for voracious gov't and US VAT on the way, we'll soon catch up in the colonies.
  • Reply 342 of 378
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    OK lets use airplay which eliminates the storage problem of the ATV

now

i have 4 macs, how do i "chose" which one to stream from, do i name each one a unique "ID"

how do i name each mac

your thoughts because in a few weeks---I'LL HAVE MY NEW ATV AND STREAMING FROM ONE OF MY MACS

wahoo!!!

everyone focuses on ATV but to me the big deal is a simplified interface access to your stored media---AIRPLAY is H-U-G-E
  • Reply 343 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm

ugh, too many apps, should be integrated to a guide-like UI

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Not at all. These individual apps allow their own sub-cosystem within their domain and not being bound to a UI ala typical tv, but Apple enhanced.

I actually agree with both of you!

1) Individual apps by content providers will allow them to implement their "delivery system" to whatever level of content they chose to provide in the way they chose to provide it.

2) This will result in a lot of competing formats which will be messy, confusing and wasteful of resources.

3) Eventually, a common format will evolve, ala ePub, that will allow consolidation of the delivery of the content under a single (or a few) apps with a standard UI.

I think that all three steps are necessary -- you won't get the content providers unless you let them do it their way and to their time-frame, motivations, objectives, etc.

A natural selection will take place as the providers experiment with, refine and eliminate features of their unique delivery systems... always with an eye to what the competition is doing, and what the consumers like.

Eventually, some implementable standards will evolve which will allow a few apps to provide what the contentment-providers and consumers want.

• Reply 344 of 378

I was quite disappointed that there were no AppleTV apps announced, yesterday-- and, especially, no SDK for AppleTV,

Likely: the AppleTV has an A4 processor; has similar RAM and graphics hardware; runs iOS-- so, where are the apps and SDK.

On reflection, I am even more confused! What we don't know is how much SSD storage the AppleTV device contains. Is it 1 GB? 16 GB? More? Less?

What if there is very little room on the device for additional apps?

Will Apple limit the apps to those provided by itself and/or a few select 3rd-party developers?

What if there is no room at all on the AppleTV for additional apps, content, games, etc. that we've come to love on our iDevices?

Does that mean that the AppleTV is WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get)? Pronounced Wizzy-Wig.

Does that mean that the AppleTV is WYGIWYW (What You Get Isn't What You Want)? Pronounced Wiggy-Woo.

Is that all there is to AppleTV-- a streamer (actually, to be more accurate, a streamee? )

That can't be right... can it?

What about all the games and apps I (and many others) expected to have at our fingertips for the big screen?

Is it possible/practical for the apps to reside in the cloud, too -- and be downloaded as part of the streamed content?

Is it possible/practical for the apps to reside on other devices within WiFi range of the AppleTV?

-- Where, we select an app from an AppleTV Apps Menu and the app is temporarily installed on the device at fast WiFi speeds (instead of slow Internet download/streamer speeds)?

-- Would a few seconds startup delay be acceptable?

It could mean that we'll never get AppleTV apps and an SDK... or that we already have them.

I just ran a proof-of-concept experiment on my iP4 and the New Epic Citadel game (preview):

-- 00.0 Start the app (tap its icon)

-- 04.0 Logo Appears

-- 05.4 Art components begin being displayed

-- 16.4 Start Button appears (Art component display continues)

-- 25.0 App fully loaded waiting for user.

Because of the way the app displayed progress (while loading) the long start time was hardly noticeable-- not the least bit off-putting.

The Epic Citadel app is 128.2MB.

So, it takes 25 seconds to start the Epic Citadel app on Apple's fastest iDevice!

It took 25-30 seconds to properly install the app in the iP4 using iTunes sync over USB

Theoretically, 802.11n can attain 200 Mbs, 0r 25 MBs.

Over WiFi, the transmission and temporary install of Epic Citadel app could be accomplished in about 6 seconds.

I assume, that the AppleTV can multithread and begin displaying Epic Citadel content as the transmission, temporary install, and load takes place.

If true, you could experience Epic Citadel app on the AppleTV and Big screen, with little noticeable delay-- even though the app was dynamically installed as part of the selection / app-startup process

We may have already witnessed running apps on the AppleTV!

Hmmm.....

• Reply 345 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

I'm really getting tired of hearing this solution. ripping is a pain in the butt. No average person will sit there and rip blu-rays and Dvds through some 3rd party software and throw away the box.

I don't expect apple to do it, but i've been saying for years that forcing people to re-purchase (or now convinced to rent, over and over again) media we already own every time a format change occurs should be considered a crime. Sure we're stupid enough to re-buy all our movies in 3 different formats since home video began, but there must be a compromise. the formats (and codecs) are so vast and rapidly changing, that it's really starting to feel like a conspiracy to keep us buying. Something has to give, and the consumer should not be held captive by this system.

I rip all of my Blu-Rays for other devices such as my iPhone 4. I bought a $150 ASUS external Blu-Ray drive and use free software. It's click and rip. Easy using these instructions:

http://www.macworld.com/article/1457...y_ripping.html
  • Reply 346 of 378
    To me is like a vending machine for your TV.

What I would like on this device:

- 3+ USB Ports to connect my drives.

- Being able to play any movie type imaginable (not just those rented/ purchased from apple)

- 1080P

a total FAIL.
  • Reply 347 of 378
    Steve Jobs rather support Netflix on ALL the Macs instead of Blu-Ray! LMAO!
  • Reply 348 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by latafairam View Post

- Being able to play any movie type imaginable (not just those rented/ purchased from apple)

- 1080P

a total FAIL.

No product is designed for everybody and if they make enough off of it to keep supporting it, great. I'm sure they are testing various waters and will, when the time comes, release a nice device that will appeal to a larger customer base. Right now, they seem happy with it, and so do at least enough customers to not cancel it altogether.

They do refer to it as a "hobby".

I for one really want one at home to stream stuff to the living room and one for the office to allow better meetings. At 99 bucks, it is a no brainer: no more fussing with and / or having people trip over cables. Every iPad in the office is an instant presentation device.
  • Reply 349 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post

Jailbreak + airplay. Nuff said.

Quote:

- 1080P

a total FAIL.

-excuse me but how 10's of tb do you need to connect to the atv so you need 3 usb ports

-jailbreak, no worries there.

-apple can't cater with a $99 for a resolution that's not even in 20% of home in the U.S. let alone the world.
  • Reply 350 of 378
    Well, for me, I think its worth the investment. Since my DirecTV bill is about $89 a month now (and includes TONS of commercials I have to keep skipping through on my DVR) and I also pay for netflix on top of that, and occasionally rent or buy a movie on itunes as well.

I think the new Apple TV really helps me ditch the direcTV (hopefully) and be able to merge all of my devices without having to wire everything together every evening. I like to have my laptop on the couch with me. Now, if my movie is on my laptop, I can control it and play it on the TV without even getting up. If its on my main desktop computer, I can access it from apple TV and play my movie that way. If I want to rent a new TV show that just came out, bam, click of a button. Play around on youtube when friends are over, use my iPhone and stream my movies off of that. Not to mention my music. I love hooking my iPhone up to my home theater system to play my music, but it never fails I need my phone for something or I get a call and I have to go unplug it, get the call or do whatever, then walk back in the living room, plug it back in, double tap, hit play again. And if I was watching TV, then I have to set the stereo back on "iPhone" and turn the TV to the correct Channel again if I was watching a video. It will be much easier to keep my phone with me, and just stream my music or videos. I cant wait. I'm going to move my charger for my phone right next to the couch!

Now 4.2 just needs to hurry up so I can use my phone to stream!
  • Reply 351 of 378
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

apple can't cater with a $99 for a resolution that's not even in 20% of home in the U.S. let alone the world.

Why not? They release software for OSX, and that is only run on a very small percentage of the worlds computers
  • Reply 352 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Couldn't they have chosen someone with even a modicum of vocal talent to close the show... Martin sounds even crappier than usual here, and should just stick to recording where he can autotune his horrible voice to sound (somewhat) acceptable.

As for the rest of the 'event'... Very Solid Lineup!

Haha I totally agree! Coldplay is safe pop-rock for the middle-aged that want to think they're cool. So really it's not that surprising that Apple wants to use them. However they risk losing street-cred though if it keeps that up!
  • Reply 353 of 378
    Quote:

- 1080P

a total FAIL.

your wait will be long .....grasshopper
  • Reply 354 of 378
    Didn't Apple shoot themself in the foot as I'm sure unread stream from the mac wrong as I don't get the .99 cent model when most content is already FREE online. If it starts to disappear torrent will be everywhere but if it can stream from PC or mac doesn't that mean it will stream torrents?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

broadcast content is actually 1080i or 720p, and since 720p is better don't see the big deal there. For those of us who have used streaming services like Netflix we know that HD to streaming content providers is not really HD but only about same quality as 480p.

If you have Netflix already this is a very attractive little device, you could easily take it with you on a trip & have netflix wherever you go to any HDMI capable TV. Add to that the fact that you can rent HD content from iTunes (as Netflix doesn't have to many titles in HD and even their SD selection is very limited).

Also, 99 cent SD rentals means direct competition with redbox. For our family we are weighing whether to keep Netflix or go back to Redbox as we don't really watch enough movies to justify the $10 a month. This is even better than Redbox since I wouldn't have to drive anywhere and I would have a much larger selection to choose from (not locked to what's in the machine).

Only way for all this to really work well is for other studios to get on board with SD 99 cent rentals, and I think they eventually will. From a bandwidth perspective this is more attractive to ISPs as people who have unlimited instant play like Netflix service are the heavy bandwidth users. If you pay for Cable internet I doubt they will restrict the bandwidth, they'll just start raising the intro price & cutting prices on packaging.

My hope is that they will upgrade the current AppleTV OS to include these features as well, I'm guessing they will & that this is a transition device that will be upgradable with far more features in the future and the current ATV will go the way of the Dodo.

• Reply 355 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

I know iTunes music no longer has DRM, so, you can play it on anyone's player, if I'm not mistaken. Not sure about movies or TV shows, though.

I do agree with you on the Apple TV.

First you download transmission for the mac then go to kickass torrents where you can download just about anything. Even DVDs about to be released before they are releassed. I only do that if i

find a show and missed season 1 and they are on season two as almost evey network shows their shows free which is why now with no buying you can get with torrents but no more for Atv. Weird.
  • Reply 356 of 378
    Not sure if this came up yet, but does anyone know if the new AppleTV will act as a wireless extender/access point like the Airport Express? I'd consider buying one for my bedroom TV if it did, since I have an ethernet port in there and the wireless signal from downstairs is a bit weak. Without the wireless extender capability, I'd need to add another base station or access point up in the bedroom in order to even use AirPlay reliably, which would kinda suck.

I've been googling for more information on this topic since they announced the new ATV and I haven't found a single word one way or the other.
  • Reply 357 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by latafairam

Originally Posted by latafairam

- 1080P

a total FAIL.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

your wait will be long .....grasshopper

Nope.

Who's waiting? Got me a WDLIVE Best purchase I've ever made.
  • Reply 358 of 378
    what about the possibility that ATV connects to your dvr and acts like slingbox

now that would rock

http://digg.com/news/technology/Appl...patent_filings
  • Reply 359 of 378
    Quote:

-excuse me but how 10's of tb do you need to connect to the atv so you need 3 usb ports.

5 TB So far. (Most 1080P are 8GB+)

Quote:

-apple can't cater with a $99 for a resolution that's not even in 20% of home in the U.S. let alone the world.

You got a point there. I think TV manufaturers should also stop making TVs with such a high res that nobody watches too.
  • Reply 360 of 378
    most can't tell the dif from typical viewing distance 720 vs 1080 on screen size 50in or less

people were wild about netflix, well what would i'd rather have is access over res