Rivals and partners comment on Apple's recent moves.

Comments

• Reply 21 of 89
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,200member
    If Apples are mutant viruses, then Acers are the common strain readily blocked through vaccination.
  • Reply 22 of 89
    Man there are some haters out there. Da**!

And even if Apple does end up with 20-30 % of the tablet market that is awesome. But meanwhile the other 70-80 % will be made up of like 500 tablet makers at the bottom of the profit margin barrel. Good luck barracudas.

LOL!

And that Acer guys is also a doosh. Look at his company. He's cranking out cheap a** hardware running windows. Where is the originality? He's mad that Apple's ipad will force him and others to compete. They don't want to go down that road. They want the easy way. A MS license and a bunch of pcs. But once they get their tablets rolling they will be cheap and they will eat up their already cheap a** windows machines.

As for the Intel man Mr.O he can kiss my a**! He's mad that Apple simplicity is trumping the bells and whistles cause bell and whistles are all some companies have to sell their sh**! Bells and whistles play with your head and make the product seem like WOW when in reality it is mostly a distraction. Remember those boom boxes from the 80's? All types of lights and cheap equalizers and some even had lots of tweeters. Hell, I remember opening a boom box and noticing that an array of tweeters were just decorations. Not a damn thing came out of them.LOL! FAKE!

I really believe that when the ipad came out all the crap the haters were talking were coming from corporate headquarters. Apple said they were changing the game and they did and these hating mother****** are sweating.

Got my ipad 16 gig with wifi+3G. Yes!

Have the iphone 4(16 gig) and sold the 3gs(16 gig) for $150.00.

Got the latest update to iphone 4 and started taking pictures with that HDR features.

OMFG!!!!! OMFG!!!! OMFG!!!

I feel like Annie Leibovitz shooting for Vanity Fair! I sent some of my pictures to my email and opened them on the ipad.

BREATHTAKING.
  • Reply 23 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

One would have expected better from the executives at such major competitors.

Not me. This is EXACTLY what I expect from most of the clowns who run the world. Why do you think Apple has so little competition? For every Steve Jobs, there are a million Steve Ballmers.
  • Reply 24 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by canucklehead View Post

Wow, that Acer guy is a clueless idiot. I'd think comments like that would mean he'd be replaced pretty fast.

On the contrary, that statement might get Acer some street cred with Apple haters. There's a vocal extreme minority of people who will give their money to anyone who not only is not Apple, but appears to hate Apple just as much as they do.

Granted, when I say extreme minority, I mean that in more than one sense. We're talking about all 10 people who bought the Zune.
  • Reply 25 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Acer

Acer founder Stan Shih in an interview compared Apple's products to "mutant viruses" which are hard to cure in the short-term. According to the Digitimes report, Shih believes that "PC vendors will eventually find a way to isolate Apple and become immune."

Shih admits that Apple deserves to be respected, but sees Apple's "closed" strategy as weaker in the longer-term than that of other PC brands. Drawing comparisons to the Windows versus Mac and Betamax versus VHS showdowns, Shih believes "open" eventually wins.

Apple's "culture of innovation" can be learned from, though, according to Shih. He believes Taiwan's industry focuses too much on hardware and should instead incorporate Apple-like creativity to go after the nascent Chinese market.

In August, Acer chairman JT Wang predicted that the market share of the iPad will drop from 100 percent to between 20 to 30 percent.

Great, the Asian Steve Ballmer. Just shut up and make something that doesn't suck ass.
  • Reply 26 of 89
    Otellini doesn't get it. He's only got Intel's interest in mind.

The fact the Apple TV will appeal to his mum is PRECISELY the reason Apple made the Apple TV.

As for Acer. Take the "r" and place it between the "A" and the "c" and you'll get an idea of what I think of them and pronounce the "c" as a soft c like in Acer.

We are Acer NZ support and their machines are pure crap. I'm pretty sure the iPad out performs their top end PCs by a great margin.
  • Reply 27 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

Very interesting quote. Apple does indeed seem to be wooing unsophisticated technophobes with their newest products.

Will that strategy work in the long term, with a generation who used computers before they could read? Do they want simplicity or capability?

The iPod outsells every other device in its class. The iPad has sold more than every other tablet device combined in the last 3 years.

People buy what they want. Clearly Apple's aiming for the technophobes strategy is a winner.
  • Reply 28 of 89
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:

Otellini promoted Google TV as having the "full internet," unlike Apple TV. He sees Apple TV as appealing to his mom because of its simplicity, while Google TV would appeal to his son.

Oh snap. My dad is way cooler then your dad. Your dad runs like a girl, my dad is way more awesomenerer. Anyways, we'll see what happens when Google TV comes out.

Quote:

Shih admits that Apple deserves to be respected, but sees Apple's "closed" strategy as weaker in the longer-term than that of other PC brands. Drawing comparisons to the Windows versus Mac and Betamax versus VHS showdowns, Shih believes "open" eventually wins.

I don't think that open necessarily eventually wins. Too tired to think of examples, but plays for sure comes to mind, maybe Linux. Obviousely Wikipedia would be a huge counter example but I don't think simply being open is by itself better then being closed.
  • Reply 29 of 89
    Google: Apple officially allowed us to make more money from their platform. How good they are!

Intel: Apple didn?t give us chance to make some money on TV market. Bad Apple! Good thing we have Google.

Acer: Year ago we were selling tons of cheap plastic abominations called netbooks. Now Apple came and spoiled all the fun. How nasty of them! Should find some knock-off tablet and make cheap plastic clones of it?

Adobe: We still can milk Flash cash cow!

This is what they really are saying.
  • Reply 30 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stormj;

Latin plural of virus is viri, not virii. Extra I in radii is present in singular radIus.

Actually - there is no Latin plural for virus.
  • Reply 31 of 89
    Quote:

Very interesting quote. Apple does indeed seem to be wooing unsophisticated technophobes with their newest products.

Will that strategy work in the long term, with a generation who used computers before they could read? Do they want simplicity or capability?

How about usability?
  • Reply 32 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

If Apples are mutant viruses, then Acers are the common strain readily blocked through vaccination.

My Acer has a virus. A serious one too
  • Reply 33 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ViktorCode View Post

Google: Apple officially allowed us to make more money from their platform. How good they are!

Intel: Apple didn?t give us chance to make some money on TV market. Bad Apple! Good thing we have Google.

Acer: Year ago we were selling tons of cheap plastic abominations called netbooks. Now Apple came and spoiled all the fun. How nasty of them! Should find some knock-off tablet and make cheap plastic clones of it?

Adobe: We still can milk Flash cash cow!

This is what they really are saying.

Near enough, which is why it can be 100% discounted. If he was quoted accurately, the Acer guy deserves a comedy writing award. Either that, or it requires a major case of cognitive dissonance to believe that everybody reselling Windows is a definition of "open."
  • Reply 34 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

Actually - there is no Latin plural for virus.

Yeah. Coming from a guy with a PhD in microbiology, the field says viruses....fungus on the other hand becomes fungi.
  • Reply 35 of 89
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,333moderator
    Quote:

Acer founder Stan Shih in an interview compared Apple's products to "mutant viruses" which are hard to cure in the short-term. According to the Digitimes report, Shih believes that "PC vendors will eventually find a way to isolate Apple and become immune."

I love how everyone has latched onto this "open" policy and how they all think it represents their strategy. The only truly open strategy is where you build your own machine from scratch and install Linux on it.

As soon as you buy a machine with Windows on it, it's not open. As soon as you buy any branded hardware, it's not open because it will have some proprietary components inside that you have to replace from a limited source when it breaks.

Apple's business model is restrictive in some ways but people are free to port their apps to other platforms, they include the most standards-compliant browser software, their OS is based on open standard software, they promote industry standard media formats where it's appropriate and they support 3rd party hardware components.

PC manufacturers complain about Apple because they can't make any money from their business model but the same is true in reverse. Acer's business model is closed off to Apple and they would never be able to make money from it. I'd like to know how much money Acer make from Dell or HP and if they don't make any, why are they just complaining about Apple?

They might be right and Apple won't succeed in the long term but if that happens, the computer world will suffer badly because of it. I never want to see a day when I can't walk into a store and buy a product that I know a group of people have agonised over the details to make the experience as good as they know how to make it. Acer is not that group of people.
  • Reply 36 of 89
    Quote:

Don't worry about Apple's roadmap. The "this is a step backwards" comments come from people without imagination. Apple has already announced AirPlay. And this may soon include the ability to stream video and apps between devices, as well as music. Apple is ahead of the game and is slowly sending spinning harddrives in personal devices the way of the floppy drive.

The ultimate simplicity is to have complete access to your media from any of your devices and not have to worry about where the actual files are physically stored. Your premise that you can have either simplicity or capability but not both presents a false dichotomy.

The hub-as-a-living-room-device idea is now old hat. Your circles need to be personal and mobile, moving with you, as in "Mobile me"; and they need to overlap and interact with others' circles. If anything, the new Apple products are designed to get you out of the living room, out of the office, out of the basement. You aren't tied down anymore; you can visit with friends even if your life revolves around computer-based activities.

MS has talked about this but not delivered. Google has released yawn-inducing beta after ugly beta. Apple doesn't talk much, just works on its hobby and releases two or three social networks as incidental features of its regularly scheduled new products.

The "hub" has become an infinite loop with you at the center. You is the new hub.
  • Reply 37 of 89
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I never want to see a day when I can't walk into a store and buy a product that I know a group of people have agonised over the details to make the experience as good as they know how to make it. Acer is not that group of people.

Although I don't always agree with you, that sentence spells out why Apple is my choice, and the choice of many others, better than any way I could have expressed it. Good post.
  • Reply 38 of 89
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I don't understand the "mutant virus" comment. In what sense do Apple's products self-replicate, and if they are "mutant" then what product was the original virus?
  • Reply 39 of 89
    Wow, acer, it's best to not let your "founders" open their mouths so we can suspect they might be collosal morons than to let them open them and leave no doubt about it...

Oh, and Otellini, you may be whining now that atv doesn't use your hot, crap cpu but wait until one or two years when amd will be across the board for apple to reminisce how good you had it then when you where crying like a little ...
  • Reply 40 of 89
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,730member
    I love the irony that a CEO of a Windows based platform uses the term 'virus' in conjunction with Apple!